Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From London 2012, Day 9?

usain boltI can barely make it from the couch to the refrigerator in under 30 seconds — even when I’m super peckish — which made the finals of the Men’s 100 meter Sprint at the 2012 Summer Olympics all the more mind-boggling.

Yes indeed, Jamaica’s legendary Usain Bolt (pictured) only took 9.63 seconds to earn the Gold versus what NBC’s commentators called one of the fastest fields of humans ever assembled. (Indeed, the 2012 100m finals marked the first time in Olympic history that five men managed to finish in under 9.9 seconds.) That Bolt played DJ scratching at an imaginary turntable right before he took to the starting blocks only added to the entertainment value of his victory. (Apparently, dude also ate McDonald’s before his big race!)

krisztian berkiAnd yet while Bolt’s latest Olympic achievement was undoubtedly Day 9’s biggest story, I also have to give a shout-out to the top two finishers in the pommel horse category of the men’s gymnastics field. The tricky piece of equipment has never been a favorite of mine, but Hungary’s Krisztian Berki (pictured, right) and Britain’s Louis Smith put on such dazzling displays en route to their respective Gold and Silver medals, that I’ve got a newfound appreciation for the whole bag of marbles. Berki’s legs whirled and rotated like the blades of a helicopter, while Smith’s hands were so fast and furious while he executed a crazy handstand that it felt like someone had hit the fast-forward button on my DVR. Good stuff!

What was your favorite moment of Day 9? Are you doing The Bolt while you read this? Sound off in the comments!

1. amanda says:

OSCAR PISTORIUS

2. DianaKat says:

Kirani James giving Oscar Pistorius his name tag and a hug after the semi finals of the 400m. Oscar is a remarkable athlete and inspiration, even if he came in last in this race.

3. Alexis says:

Also introducing me to the beauty that is Koji Murofushi – the Japanese hammer throw bronze medal winner. What a HUNK!

4. Gotal says:

Sandra Izbasa winning gold at women gymnastics after Maroney fell on her ass :))

• Luc says:

Sandra was mentally stronger than Maroney; and more more beautiful (she is the most beautiful gymnast this year) :) Now she has to win floor too. Best of luck!!!

• Missie says:

I knew someone would be a jerk about it. You can be happy for Sandra without wishing ill on another 16-year-old girl. And btw, changing your name to post a different comment isn’t fooling us.

• Marc says:

I felt awful for Makayla, but the fact that she won silver despite falling on her second fault is a testament to her talent. That being said, she could have been more gracious to Sandra when she won and her attitude on the podium was not the best either. I understand how upset she must have been after coming in second at an event that must have seemed like a definite win, but still, the silent treatment at a fellow competitor, and the scowling at the podium made her look a little bit like a sore loser.

• Gotal says:

Sure. When you hope that the person you like wins you don’t wish the others to slip. No way. Missie you are above every human living on this planet. I can say what I want. I can be a jerk if you say I am. So zip it!!!
        And I only post one. I don’t need to post twice to support Sandra or to show how much I like her. But interesting that you thought about it. You do that often, I presume if you thought about it.

5. kcostell says:

Seeing Andy Murray take gold a month after he broke down in tears apologizing for not winning Wimbledon for his country.

The subsequent medal ceremony (where thousands of people sang to provide the words while the orchestral version of “God Save the Queen” was playing) made me jealous that the US doesn’t have a similarly singable anthem.

6. ejones says:

The tie-break when the 2 pommel horse gymnasts had identical scores was a bit naff, they were both so incredible that a shared gold seemed to me to be the only way forward. Why was the execution of the routine more important than its degree of difficulty?

• Emily says:

while I do get while execution scores higher-its more to do with performance on the day and more in tone with the athlete, not just a set of rules about his routine, I agree-both amazing performances

7. susan says:

A man threw a bottle towards Bolt at the start. The Dutch Edith Bosch (judo brons medallist) grabt him! That’s cool! Great achievement by Bolt.

8. David says:

Got to have been Ben Ainslie winning his fourth consecutive gold medal. To make him the greatest Olympic sailor in history…….congrats.

9. Brenda says:

The debut of Erik Kynard’s (high jump) stars and stripes socks. ;) He usually wears purple and white when high jumping for K-State. EMAW!

10. Renee says:

Andy Murray winning the gold medal at Wimbledon. I was so happy for him and for GB.

11. Joni says:

Hands down: the 2 runners, Kirani James of Jamaica and Oscar Pistorius of South Africa exchanging name banners after the 400m qualifying race for the finals.

12. Keren says:

Usain Bolt!!

13. Yo' says:

Well, Michael, you need incentive to get to the refridgerator in under thirty seconds. I suggest ice cream. Sadly, the serving size listed on the carton is not worth getting off of the couch for at all..