Fall TV Preview

Parenthood Exclusive: American Idol's Paul McDonald Cast as [Spoiler]'s New Crush Interest

Paul McDonald Parenthood Another notable American Idol grad is making the leap into acting.

Paul McDonald — whose gravelly voice and mega-watt smile carried him to an eighth place finish on Fox’s reality juggernaut — has booked a potentially recurring role on Parenthood, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The singer-songrwiter will play a musician who uses Crosby and Adam’s recording space, The Luncheonette, and promptly catches the eye of the studio’s new assistant, Amber (Mae Whitman).

RELATED | Parenthood Scoop — Will Ray Romano Come Between Sarah and Mark?

This will mark McDonald’s acting debut.

Parenthood‘s fourth season premieres on Tuesday, Sept. 11 on NBC.

Comments (34)

• Isn’t he married to Twilight’s Nikki Reed or am I getting mixed up?

Comment by Theo – August 3, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep!

Comment by Anna – August 3, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Literally the most bizarre crossover ever…. but then also the most predictable (the biggest young adult movie franchise and the biggest young adult TV franchise).

Comment by Dizzle – August 3, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It wasn’t that bizarre. They got taken to the premier of a Twilight movie during Idol’s shooting where Paul McDonald, with no idea who she was, started flirting with Nikki Reed.

Comment by ben – August 3, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by MK – August 3, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved paul and I think he found a perfect fit with parenthood. I’m strangely excited. Never would’ve predicted this though.

Comment by tht19 – August 3, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can definitely see him as an actor. He’s very charismatic.

Comment by GDV – August 3, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Remembered him immediately which is not always true of the Idols. I love Parenthood and he will make a great addition to the cast. I can see all of the females fighting over him. He’s gorgeous and talented.

Comment by Gretchen Stone – August 3, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed. He wasn’t my favourite singer by any means but this seems like a good fit, provided he can act decently.

Comment by ben – August 3, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always liked him on Idol, thought he had a really defined and unique style amongst the other competitors. Glad to see him back on my TV!

Comment by Dizzle – August 3, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry – this is yuck casting. I couldn’t wait for him to get the boot on AI. Parenthood’s casting decisions this season (i.e., Ray Romano) are disappointing.

Comment by Linderella – August 3, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is the idea just to have Amber compromise all her family members careers? I get that she’s young, but they seem determined to make her dumb as can be. Maybe she should focus on working instead of using every employment opportunity her family hands her as a way to meet guys!

Comment by Kate – August 3, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! If I remember correctly, she did well in high school. She just only applied to one college and, when she didn’t get in, had nowhere to go. I would have thought she would have been a little more organized post-high school.

Comment by AT – August 3, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s quite realistic that she hasn’t been able to fully get her **** together… She’s always acted older than she was and when you pretend for so long you skip the process of *actually* maturing and growing up, so in a lot of ways she hasn’t enabled herself to handle life post-high school… Good grades don’t always equal a good life!

Comment by Dizzle – August 3, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish him luck. I worked with Mae on a movie called “Bye Bye Love” when she was just a pre schooler. It’s always wonderful to see the kids I worked with all grown up. I never watched the show, did not know Mae was on it, but to see both Paul and Mae…I will definitely tune in. Happy for both.

Comment by MK – August 3, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Paul gets to play his music!

Comment by Davey – August 3, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Paul … hope he gets to sing on the show! I don’t watch Parenthood, but I will check in when he’s on.

Comment by JAO – August 3, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul! Very cool.

Comment by Loni – August 3, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. I would prefer to see Amber continue to see that politician guy, I really liked him. And now that she isn’t working there anymore, I don’t see what the problem is.
    And I agree with some of the other commenters, Amber needs to get her crap together. The writers constantly giving her one failed romance plot after another is getting boring and its always ruining her family’s careers.

Comment by mia – August 3, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited for this new blood! Really curious how Ray Romano is going to fit into the show!! I have seen him in that more serious roll he played for a bit on TBS and loved him!!! “that boy got skill”!!
    Paul!!! Yummy! Very excited to see where him and Amber go!
    Sounds like we’re gonna get to see some jealous spats with the men Sarah and Amber WERE with!!!
    Thanks PH!

Comment by Kasey – August 3, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa! Dude needs to lighten up on the teeth. They glow! Can’t wait forthe new season to start!

Comment by Andrea – August 3, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT HAPPENED TO BOB LITTLE?????
    FIRST GOOD DECISION AMBER HAS MADE. UGH.

Comment by Cjk – August 3, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah! Hope Amber sticks with Bob Little. Love that relationship!

Comment by Branson T – August 3, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess Amber’s relationship with Bob Little is over.

Comment by robinepowell – August 3, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope not. Love triangle? Sheesh. Musician vs Politician?!

Comment by JRP – August 3, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!! Bring back politician guy, and tell this joker to turn his teeth down, he’s killing my eyes.

Comment by Kerri (@iKeralot) – August 3, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s such a slut. Does she ever stop? I think she should stay home and read Shades of Grey.

Comment by Joan – August 3, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope you mean the Jasper Fforde novel, yes I do.

Comment by ben – August 3, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love this show! The writing is superb and do realistic . It is my favorite! Live the new cast members ! I can’t wait for the new season.

Comment by Allison – August 3, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • do the writers hate mae whitman? can’t she stick with one boyfriend!

Comment by hanson – August 3, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh… season 10 of American Idol. Explains why I don’t know who the frack this guy is. lol. Had to google what season he was on to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. Anything after season 7 isn’t part of my pop culture experience.

So… no opinion other than I hope Amber has a better storyline this coming season than she had last season.

Comment by soundscene – August 3, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does the Friends episode come to mind where Ross over whitened his teeth? ;)

Comment by Kim R – August 3, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping he’d be a love interest for Drew. JS.

Comment by blaster freak – August 3, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …and I’m of the opinion that he’s got one too many Y-chromosomes for the likes of Amber. Sarah’s kids are the gayest :)

Comment by grace2552 – August 4, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post