Once Upon a Time Mystery: Could a True Blood Baddie Be Playing the Real [Spoiler]?

Once Upon a Time Michael Raymond JamesThere’s an air of mystery surrounding Once Upon a Time‘s newest guest star, Michael Raymond-James — namely because everything about his character, right down to his name, is purposely being kept under wraps.

All that said, the onetime True Blood Big Bad has nabbed a recurring role in Season 2 of ABC’s fantastical hit (premiering Sept. 30), TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Meet Captain Hook!

The secrecy surrounding Raymond-James’ role — which differs greatly from the several other castings reported on this summer (see Hook, Sir Lancelot, Sleeping Beauty and Mulan) — can only get us theorizing that he could be playing Baelfire. Rumpelstiltskin’s long-lost son last was seen getting pulled away from the fairytale-land-that-was through a portal to, presumably, our world. In fact, late last season we and Mr. Gold were led to believe that the mysterious August Booth was Baelfire, when in actuality he turned out to be Pinocchio.

EW.com first reported on the casting of Raymond-James, whose credits also include Terriers and a bit part in The Walking Dead‘s second season.

1. DD says:

Henry’s dad

2. Those are the two dudes we need. Bael and Henry’s dad. He’s gotta be one of the two.

3. Elly says:

But were also going to see Jack from Jack and The Beanstalk too….it’s hard to say.

4. Belinda says:

I don’t care who he plays. I’ll just be pleased to have him back on tv. My heart is still broken over ‘Terriers’ and I haven’t quite forgiven ‘The Walking Dead’ for killing him so soon.

5. Josh says:

I don’t know…I don’t think’s “fairy tale” handsome enough to be Henry’s dad…But he has to be someone important? I’m hoping for another new baddie.

6. Erin BC says:

Yeah I’m really thinking he’s Henrys dad too

7. Templar says:

If that fugly guy is Henry’s dad, then Emma is anything but fussy.

8. Meg says:

would they really introduce either Bae or Henry’s dad THIS early in the season though? i feel like they would be much later…. they just cast hook who’s in episode four, that’s where i get my reasoning.

• Mirabel says:

If the father and Baelfire are two different people (which I’m hoping for) then I think it’s likely that they’ll introduce one of them during the first half of the season and the other later on.

9. saxyroro (@saxyroro) says:

So happy to see him back. He was so good on Terriers.

10. BM says:

He’s too young to be Henry’s dad, Bael had to be at least 14 to 16 when he went through the portal and that was before Emma was born. This guy is 2 years older than Jennifer Morrison

• You mean he’s too young to be both, right? I don’t know if that matters, because some people look REALLY young, so, you can’t really tell. Personally, I hope they’re not the same person. That make for too much crap between Emma and Rumple.

• Al says:

They came through using two different methods. Maybe one came through much later than the other? Think of it like time travel – just because Emma came through 28 years ago doesn’t mean that Bae had to come through a decade or two earlier. Maybe his method brought him to Storybrooke LATER than Emma, so that there wouldn’t be much of an age gap between them.
      I think it would be fun to see Bae as Henry’s dad – complicated, but still fun.

11. Maggie says:

Could he also be playing the writer of Henry’s book at some point?

• songbyrd86 says:

Uh yeah they kinda dropped the ball on the writer of the book. We know henry got the book from mary margaret but she didn’t say where she got it – or really that she ever read it. We know that August didn’t write it, but we still don’t know the author or his intentions..

12. Enkay says:

Could totally see him as Henry’s father! Really hope Henry’s dad is NOT Rumple’s son too. Too predictable, too soap-opera-ish.

• Rae says:

Gods, I am so glad I am not the only one who doesn’t believe or WANT Balefire to be Henry’s dad. It seems that the entire of the fandom wants this.

13. Kelly says:

I hope he’s not Baelfire. I’m not a fan and I kinda root for Bae. Bae is totally going to be Henry’s dad but this casting is just blah to me.

14. One actor in two exceptionally good shows. What’s not to like?

15. TheBeach says:

I don’t recognize him from True Blood. What character did he play?

16. tvdiva says:

I hope he is Henry’s dad and Bae. That would create a powerful family dynamic with Mr. Gold, the Charmings, Emma and the Evil Queen.

17. Jkrow88 says:

Idk about the whole concept of time travel being introduced. I mean you have to think, for the older people trying to make heads or tales of this show, that would be way too much for them to deal with. As for this guy as baelfire, great. He really was great in trueblood. More than likely he will be lancelot. Given rumples past as a deserter and possibly not the biological father of bael. Lancelot would be a more suitable character to be baelfire. As for henrys fathers. Well that will most likely be introduced in the last few episodes of the second season to keep you watching next year for season three.

18. Hannah says:

I was thinking bae. Maybe, it could be peter pan though, all grown up? I mean, hook is in the show, why wouldn’t Peter Pan? Maybe instead of being frozen in age, he grew up instead.

19. Tiffany says:

Bae went through that portal like 150 years before the curse went into effect…the only way bae would still be alive was if he went to never land instead of our world, Peter Pan. But up until now the only characters that remember their previous lives besides Emma and August have been evil. All I know is I can’t wait to see it all play out!

20. jess says:

I love michael raymond-james. I want him to be bae and henrys dad.

21. Kiki says:

I think he could be Baelfire, Henry’s dad and Peter Pan! It seems like the curse tends to affect even characters that ended up in other worlds but are from Fairytales land (Jefferson in storybrook, but also Cora and Hook), so if Bae was Peter Pan and ended up in our world he would be around his thirties-fourties now. But I’d love it if he was the White Rabbit :-)