Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time Mystery: Could a True Blood Baddie Be Playing the Real [Spoiler]?

Once Upon a Time Michael Raymond JamesThere’s an air of mystery surrounding Once Upon a Time‘s newest guest star, Michael Raymond-James — namely because everything about his character, right down to his name, is purposely being kept under wraps.

All that said, the onetime True Blood Big Bad has nabbed a recurring role in Season 2 of ABC’s fantastical hit (premiering Sept. 30), TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Meet Captain Hook!

The secrecy surrounding Raymond-James’ role — which differs greatly from the several other castings reported on this summer (see Hook, Sir Lancelot, Sleeping Beauty and Mulan) — can only get us theorizing that he could be playing Baelfire. Rumpelstiltskin’s long-lost son last was seen getting pulled away from the fairytale-land-that-was through a portal to, presumably, our world. In fact, late last season we and Mr. Gold were led to believe that the mysterious August Booth was Baelfire, when in actuality he turned out to be Pinocchio.

EW.com first reported on the casting of Raymond-James, whose credits also include Terriers and a bit part in The Walking Dead‘s second season.

Comments (44)

• Henry’s dad

Comment by DD – August 3, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totaly

Comment by Drewer – August 3, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Henry’s dad. No doubt about it.

Comment by Mystery Solved – August 4, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But may end up as Baelfire as well :p

Comment by Shaun – August 5, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What if the evil queen and daniel had a son and he could have been henry’s dad? penny for your thoughts…

Comment by mikey – September 21, 2012 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those are the two dudes we need. Bael and Henry’s dad. He’s gotta be one of the two.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – August 3, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still have my theory that Baelfire and Henry’s dad are the same person.

Comment by DD – August 3, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly! Baelfire and Henry’s dad are the same person.

Comment by d_me – August 3, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I was JUST thinking!

Comment by soarin829 – August 4, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right there with you. Been thinking that for a while.

Comment by Shane – August 4, 2012 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thats what i was thinking too, because when regina asked
        Mr.gold who emma was and how he found henry and also because Mr.gold remember his fairy tale life so that means
        that he remember his son. so he would have meet bae counter
        part and later meet emma and found out that she was giving
        henry up.

Comment by mikey – September 21, 2012 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or both?

Comment by Kater – August 3, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yah, I’ve been thinking (hoping?) for a while that they might be one in the same.

Comment by Gilda – August 3, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But were also going to see Jack from Jack and The Beanstalk too….it’s hard to say.

Comment by Elly – August 3, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why would they keep Jack a secret?

Comment by Elyse – August 6, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care who he plays. I’ll just be pleased to have him back on tv. My heart is still broken over ‘Terriers’ and I haven’t quite forgiven ‘The Walking Dead’ for killing him so soon.

Comment by Belinda – August 3, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg, it was totally unfair to have him on The Walking Dead for two seconds!

Comment by Dino – August 4, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You took the words out of my mouth, that was exactly what I wanted too say! I’m really exctited too find out who he plays though!

Comment by Thari – August 4, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know…I don’t think’s “fairy tale” handsome enough to be Henry’s dad…But he has to be someone important? I’m hoping for another new baddie.

Comment by Josh – August 4, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t worry Josh, you’re still one of the better looking guys on the show

Comment by Ginny – August 4, 2012 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol so hard to this comment.

Comment by Theo – August 4, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I’m really thinking he’s Henrys dad too

Comment by Erin BC – August 4, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If that fugly guy is Henry’s dad, then Emma is anything but fussy.

Comment by Templar – August 4, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? That insult is the best you can do?

Comment by CA – August 4, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would they really introduce either Bae or Henry’s dad THIS early in the season though? i feel like they would be much later…. they just cast hook who’s in episode four, that’s where i get my reasoning.

Comment by Meg – August 4, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If the father and Baelfire are two different people (which I’m hoping for) then I think it’s likely that they’ll introduce one of them during the first half of the season and the other later on.

Comment by Mirabel – August 4, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see him back. He was so good on Terriers.

Comment by saxyroro (@saxyroro) – August 4, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s too young to be Henry’s dad, Bael had to be at least 14 to 16 when he went through the portal and that was before Emma was born. This guy is 2 years older than Jennifer Morrison

Comment by BM – August 4, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean he’s too young to be both, right? I don’t know if that matters, because some people look REALLY young, so, you can’t really tell. Personally, I hope they’re not the same person. That make for too much crap between Emma and Rumple.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – August 5, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They came through using two different methods. Maybe one came through much later than the other? Think of it like time travel – just because Emma came through 28 years ago doesn’t mean that Bae had to come through a decade or two earlier. Maybe his method brought him to Storybrooke LATER than Emma, so that there wouldn’t be much of an age gap between them.
      I think it would be fun to see Bae as Henry’s dad – complicated, but still fun.

Comment by Al – August 29, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could he also be playing the writer of Henry’s book at some point?

Comment by Maggie – August 4, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh yeah they kinda dropped the ball on the writer of the book. We know henry got the book from mary margaret but she didn’t say where she got it – or really that she ever read it. We know that August didn’t write it, but we still don’t know the author or his intentions..

Comment by songbyrd86 – August 5, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could totally see him as Henry’s father! Really hope Henry’s dad is NOT Rumple’s son too. Too predictable, too soap-opera-ish.

Comment by Enkay – August 5, 2012 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gods, I am so glad I am not the only one who doesn’t believe or WANT Balefire to be Henry’s dad. It seems that the entire of the fandom wants this.

Comment by Rae – August 21, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he’s not Baelfire. I’m not a fan and I kinda root for Bae. Bae is totally going to be Henry’s dad but this casting is just blah to me.

Comment by Kelly – August 5, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One actor in two exceptionally good shows. What’s not to like?

Comment by Annastasia.Lynn – August 5, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t recognize him from True Blood. What character did he play?

Comment by TheBeach – August 5, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He really was only in the first season, he played Rene Lenier.

Comment by SugarSpiceNothingNice – August 6, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he is Henry’s dad and Bae. That would create a powerful family dynamic with Mr. Gold, the Charmings, Emma and the Evil Queen.

Comment by tvdiva – August 5, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idk about the whole concept of time travel being introduced. I mean you have to think, for the older people trying to make heads or tales of this show, that would be way too much for them to deal with. As for this guy as baelfire, great. He really was great in trueblood. More than likely he will be lancelot. Given rumples past as a deserter and possibly not the biological father of bael. Lancelot would be a more suitable character to be baelfire. As for henrys fathers. Well that will most likely be introduced in the last few episodes of the second season to keep you watching next year for season three.

Comment by Jkrow88 – September 17, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking bae. Maybe, it could be peter pan though, all grown up? I mean, hook is in the show, why wouldn’t Peter Pan? Maybe instead of being frozen in age, he grew up instead.

Comment by Hannah – October 1, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bae went through that portal like 150 years before the curse went into effect…the only way bae would still be alive was if he went to never land instead of our world, Peter Pan. But up until now the only characters that remember their previous lives besides Emma and August have been evil. All I know is I can’t wait to see it all play out!

Comment by Tiffany – October 2, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love michael raymond-james. I want him to be bae and henrys dad.

Comment by jess – October 5, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he could be Baelfire, Henry’s dad and Peter Pan! It seems like the curse tends to affect even characters that ended up in other worlds but are from Fairytales land (Jefferson in storybrook, but also Cora and Hook), so if Bae was Peter Pan and ended up in our world he would be around his thirties-fourties now. But I’d love it if he was the White Rabbit :-)

Comment by Kiki – October 23, 2012 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post