Once Upon a Time Scoop: Meet Captain Hook!

Once Upon a Time is giving actor Colin O’Donoghue the Hook!

The ABC drama has tapped the Irish thesp to join the Season 2 cast in the potentially recurring role of Captain Hook, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop — A Teen Wolf Bites Into Role of [Spoiler]

A handsome, fearsome and confident pirate ship captain, Hook relishes every challenge and never backs down from a fight, whether the reward is power, riches, or women. He possesses the meticulous style and old-school manners of a proper gentleman, but beneath that veneer lies a vindictive enemy who will not rest until all his enemies have been defeated… and humiliated.

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Teases Captain Hook’s Arrival!

O’Donoghue, who guest-starred on The Tudors as Duke Philip of Bavaria, is slated to debut in this season’s fourth episode.

1. Polly says:

no…just no.

2. tornado says:

Ooh. He’s kinda hot.

3. Nat3 says:

A very young Captain Hook. I appreciate that OUAT has a female audience to appeal to, but come on it’s Captain Hook you’re casting and not some Prince Charming type of character. I’m gonna give him a chance, but I was hoping for some older and more distinguished.

4. Manie says:

Reminds me of a younger version of Dustin Hoffman’s Hook. I like that, A LOT!

5. mick says:

Interesting choice. I have never saw him anything and it seems odd that they are casting Hook so young. I will wait to see the episode though before I start calling him a bad choice. Maybe they can make him look older. At least he has a piercing stare.

6. V says:

Awesome.Works for me.

7. Anna says:

Aww come on, this show is starting to get ridiculous really, REALLY fast…

• sheree says:

if you dont like it Anna no one is forcing you to watch. thats what a remote is for

• kt says:

no need to be so rude sheree, are people not allowed to have opinions? how do you know anna isn’t a fan of the show but happens to not love every single decision they make? criticism of tv shows you watch is allowed…no need for the snark.

• Melissa says:

Lol I agree… No one is forcing her to watch it… And I love the show

• kj rocks says:

Well it is about fairy tales Anna………and they are all pretty much silly

• A'Len says:

Not really, traditional fairy tales might contain elements that . . . some in the modern world might see as being silly or too impossible to take seriously. Such people, however, do not generally know the origins that birthed such tales, the real fears, beliefs and morals that inspired almost every fairy tale character known. They were meant to tell something, a thought, an ideal, a moral, a warning. So many things; they reflected the beliefs of multiple ancient cultures whose stories and myths later blended into newer civilizations that again inspired new tellings of age old concepts. Many fairy tales that we know were redone or borrowed by the Brothers Grimm, who took tales steeped in ancient myth and put a new spin on them. This is done over and over again, with many who create their own fairy tales based up creatures and characters that are so ancient and complex that I doubt some of the newer authors themselves know the history behind the concepts that inspired their writing. So, I would kindly ask that you show some respect for what you so lightly dismiss as ‘silly fairy tales’.

Now, as to Anna’s comment, what someone who watches the show has to like every single facet of it? They have to approve of every casting choice, every story told in every episode? Come now, let us be realistic. I enjoy Once Upon A Time for what it is, I surely do, but I, too, dislike some of the casting choices. Is my dislike so great that it completely ruins the show for me? No, thus far it is nothing to warrant my abandonment. Nor should it warrant Anna’s, if she still gets enjoyment from watching. Besides, fantasy shows amidst the endless drone of more reality based programs: detective, lawyer, investigators and whatever else – I really cannot keep track of them – is a welcome and refreshing change of pace. I can see why someone who may be unhappy by certain elements of the show would continue to watch regardless. That does not mean it’s wrong to express an opinion, though I do feel it’s rude to so callously brush them off by saying “If you don’t like it, don’t watch it”. It’s unnecessary, even arrogant. It borders on the mentality that expressing any sort of displeasure, even for things that reply and thrive on user/viewer approval – and would founder if it lost too many viewers, I might add, so perhaps some should not be so quick to discourage those with minor qualms if they like the show and wish for it to continue – is unacceptable. Oh, the things so many seem to have forgotten.

Anyway, in this I agree with Anna. I question this choice in casting for the character of Captain Hook. However, given that I have never seen this man perform I shall withhold judgement until I can see just what direction the folks behind Once Upon A Time mean to take the character in.

• A'Len says:

Oh yes, I do feel it necessary to make one little addendum. I do not question the casting choice for the character of Hook necessarily for the actor’s more youthful appearance (though I know that, for so many, Dustin Hoffman’s Hook is the definitive rendition). I never saw Hook as an old man and indeed prefer the Hook as portrayed by Jason Isaacs. His Captain Hook, I feel, was so much truer to the original book.

Jason Isaacs will always be Captain Hook to me and his portrayal is, in my humble opinion, what they call a ‘tough act to follow’. That is why I question the choice in Once Upon A Time’s casting choice. If this actor, this Colin O’Donoghue, can pull it off even half as well as Isaacs, I shall be pleased.

• C says:

Why do you think that?????????

• C says:

please let me know why you think that?????

8. Rose says:

I liked him in the Rite and Tudors. Just because he’s not like what is expected for Captain Hook, I am very interested to see what kind of job he does.

9. Michelle says:

As long as we get his native Irish accent, I’m happy!

10. Mia says:

He’s waaaaay too young for that role. I mean, I can take him as Peter Pan…but not freaking HOOK!

• Dawn says:

Shouldn’t Peter Pan be a kid? Like Henry’s age? I agree he looks a little young, but OUAT tends to skew that way with their casting.
      But I like the idea of Henry and Peter being friends…could be why they’re bringing Hook on in the first place.

• Melissa says:

Love that I idea Dawn.. Henry and Peter being friends…. If you have hook then there’s gotta be a Peter right!?

11. JAO says:

He’s a good actor … will wait & see his take on Hook before deciding.

12. Josh says:

Bad pic of him..

I’m excited to see more villains!

13. nick1372 says:

Is it September 30th yet?

14. Gilda says:

Yah, he’s not you’d expect for Captain Hook, but this show is at its best when it gives us fairy tale characters like we don’t expect them to be. I’m excited!

15. Meghan says:

He was a love interest for Sarah Bolger’s character on The Tudors. I seem to remember that they had a pretty good chemistry. She’s going to be Sleeping Beauty. I wonder if they’ll work together again?

• armando.l says:

I’d love that to happen!! I was so sad when he had to leave her!

• Mary says:

Agreed, Armando. Let’s hope some of the people associated with the show read these….if they haven’t thought of it already ; )

• Mary says:

OMG, Meghan, I’ve been wondering the same thing! Wouldn’t that be great to get them together in this story as they weren’t able to be in “The Tudors?” I was pretty sure that Hook was being played by the same actor that played Philip of Bavaria when I saw some of the OUAT trailers, but wasn’t positive until the episode aired this evening….I hope they do this, it would be great…

16. Gus says:

Don’t like this. Wanted someone older and not so cute playing Hook.

17. Addie says:

I’m not going to be a Debbie Downer like some people, and instead say that I like this decision. He looks like real-life version of Captain Hook and underneath the mustache/clothes, he may look older. Who says Captain Hook is supposed to be an old man anyway? I never thought the Disney Captain Hook seemed that old.

• I agree, he does look like a real life version! To me, the Disney Captain Hook was old. I guess I thought that because of the contrast with Peter Pan and Peter’s rebellion as a youth? Anyways, I’m looking forward to this. I loved the twists that H & K put on tales in Season 1. Bring on Season 2!

• Shannon says:

I never get why people always assume Hook was supposed to be old.The Disney version didn’t seem past 35 at the most,and Jason Isaacs was 38 when he played Hook.

18. Templar says:

Looks like a poor man’s Matt Bomer. Not impressed. Tell TPTB to hire Sendhil Ramamurthy [Covert Affairs]to play Aladdin.

19. cuuri says:

Strange, this wasn’t the Caption Hook from the Season 2 preview video released a while back. Upping the brightness on that shows an older actor as Hook.

• Addie says:

That’s amazing that you could tell considering Hook’s face wasn’t shown at all in the preview video. Most speculated that it was a crew member/someone else involved in the show because he hadn’t been cast yet

• cuuri says:

It is shown near the end of the video, in the dark on the right. If you watch it closely you’ll be able to see it without even increasing the brightness. My guess is they didn’t have anyone cast for the role when that video was made, so they used a standin.

20. Samm says:

He seems to have expressive eyebrows… I approve.

21. Lucy says:

You people forget OUaT has never played within the rules, the genie and the mirror were the same person for pete’s sake! He might me a younger version of Hook, imprisoned by the curse when he was still in his thirties of something like that. Besides, just because the actor is young doesn’t it mean Hook will be.

• kt says:

lol not disagreeing with you on the show not “playing within the rules,” but the genie and the mirror were the same person…because she trapped the genie in the mirror. it literally was the same person, b/c it was the same character.

• Mikael says:

I think the point is that the show combined 2 different fairy tale characters to make 1 character on the show: the genie from Aladdin and the mirror from Snow White. Just like they combined the Beast from Beauty & The Beast with Rumpelstiltskin.

22. Lisa says:

Never heard of this guy, but I’m excited. Bring on season two!

23. Tasia says:

He’s not that cute and Captain Hook wasn’t that old! Come on people give him a chance!

24. Sarah says:

are they gonna bring on Peter Pan and the lost boys too????? oh and tinkerbell????

25. Elisabeth says:

…..pausing a moment to read all the other comments first… some yes, some no…. that’s normal. For my part, I’m relieved he’s a little handsome. This will be fun to watch. :)

• Karen says:

I have always thought Captain Hook a little on the handsome side, even the animated version. I am disappointed that they were unable to persuade Dustin Hoffman to play the role, however; he will forever be Hook to me.

26. Renn says:

it’s called Hollywood magic. He’s going to have a different look and take on a different character. You can’t judge his performance or his role till you actually see him in it.

• Melissa says:

I agree with you Renn for me I am not going to say yay or nay untill I see him perform… I am excited that hook will be in 2nd season…. Super happy new character… Hope they bring Peter the lost boys and tink in on it too now cool will that be

27. Illyssa says:

I think he’d make a great hook. Doesn’t matter if he’s young. Or not he has a great look for what is described of his character above

28. Shea says:

Come on, you all. Yes, he looks young, but do you know what can be done with makeup?! Can’t wait for season 2!

29. Megan says:

To judge the man by his age is narrow minded. I like the way this is turning out. The evil queen is young looking..why the heck can’t capt hook be. I think if they would’ve made him much older we wouldn’t feel a great connection with his character. And if he is going to be a gentlemen then id rather see a younger man hitting on the ladies of Storybrook. I think its a good idea they are decently close in age to all the main characters.

30. Shara says:

Lol people are complaining he’s too young to play Hook…well what about Red Ridinghood? The actress is a woman instead of a little girl

31. erin maynard says:

Maybe he is younger because we are getting the back story on why James went rogue and became a pirate. OUaT never colors inside the lines – the show explains how the mythic characters of fairy tales evolved from being “real” to the stories we “know.” Have we already forgotten the 8th dwarf. Stealthy never existed in the stories we know but OUaT put him in. Give Hook a chance.

• That’s right, Hook’s first name is James! Can’t remember where I learned that (I have yet to read the Peter Pan books) but I do know it.

And the back story was my thought too after thinking about it. I mean, did he grow up in Neverland and stop at a certain point like everyone else (my logical thinking at work for this one) or was he brought to Neverland by Tink before, as you suggested, going rogue? For the latter, I imagine it was just like in the movie “Hook” when Tink brought Peter to Neverland :)

32. Temperence says:

He looks just like Hook to me! Great casting. I’ll be cheering when he pops an eyebrow the first time.

33. Courtney says:

I have been nothing but impressed with the casting in this show, he has the smirk and eyebrow raise…. If they think he will make a great Hook, I’m all in.

34. John says:

I think he will make a great Hook as been said OUaT dose not follow the rules. I can’t wait till season 2.

35. beentheredonethatmom says:

Not the right age? What? Snow White and her daughter Emma are practically the SAME age on the show. Imagine him with a fuller beard. Oh Yeah.

36. OnceFan316 says:

I’ll wait to see him in action before I judge. The Guy is 31 which really isn’t that young. When I think young I think he’s in his early 20’s. However Hook is old but I’m sure they will put a beard on him and makeup can make him look older than he is in that picture just give him a chance people.

37. La Cousteau says:

Keep in mind that Captain Hook was old through what the children believed. Ask a 5 year old; 30 is almost dead to them. Hook may very well be young to Gold and old to Henry.

38. Megan says:

Funny, I never thought of Hook as being that old…. Sounds like a lot of folks imagine him as having one foot in the grave! Just goes to show how strongly we cling to our own versions of classic fairy tale characters…
    I, for one, was praying that they wouldn’t cast someone too old in this role. In the original book Wendy herself described Hook as being attractive. So I am very pleased with this casting choice!

39. H says:

Actors should not be chosen entirely for age or appearance. It /should/ all be about the capability of the actor (though let’s face it, that rarely happens). If they decided he is Hook material then it’s very likely he is. Also, you forget they have makeup artists; If they want to make Hook age then they’ll easily do it… although, I don’t see why they should. No where in stone does it say Hook needs to be middle aged.

40. Melissa says:

Ok first of all why are you all complaining about hook for.. Oup is a good series and it’s not like the stories are straight from the book they made the series with twist and turns it gives us a great show to watch and I will trust in there good judgement because they have given us again a wonderful story line… Who know hook may hook up with the Evil Queen or Mary margret lol… Im so ready to see what happens…

41. Ryan says:

He sure looks the part- he’s got the face for it.

42. He could be good just give him a chance before judging him…

43. Kelly says:

I guess I’ll have to wait and see how it all works out. Initial impression I’m not excited about the casting and still worried about them adding on too many characters but they did so well/perfect with season one. I’ll just see how it plays out.

44. Adri says:

Oh..cool. Lets wish him the best. Lets see how he does! :D once upon a time hasn’t disappointed me yet! ;)

45. mcgee1990 says:

he doesnt have to look a certain way to play a PART folks. That’s what make-up is for! I am more interested in how well he acts in said role! I love this show! Can’t wait for the premiere!!!

46. la lughi says:

Well maybe just maybe that’s the whole point! I mean what if due to the curse Captain Hook OS the young now and Peter Pan is the old one, I mean the happiness of Peter was to be forever young right?!
    Love this show cantidad esotéricas dir desdoblamiento 2!

47. la lughi says:

Well maybe just maybe that’s the whole point! I mean what if due to the curse Captain Hook is the young now and Peter Pan is the old one, I mean the happiness of Peter was to be forever young right?!
    Love this show can’t wait for season 2!