Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Which Original Office Mate Is Back?!

The adage “time heals all wounds” is about to be tested, because warehouse jockey Roy is punching in for another shift at The Office.

David Denman will guest-star in the upcoming ninth season of the NBC comedy, TVLine has learned exclusively. According to sources, the hot-tempered former Dunder Miflin employee will show up in Episode 2.

RELATEDThe Office Staffs Up, Hires Better With You Alum Jake Lacy as New Regular

Fans will remember loutish Roy as the main impediment to Pam and Jim’s slow-burn love story during the first three seasons of the NBC comedy. And when Pam confessed to her former fiancé about kissing Jim, only Dwight’s quick thinking stopped Roy from beating Halpert to smithereens in the office. Roy was later fired.

He showed up in Season 5 for an uncomfortable exchange with Jim, who by that time was engaged to the lovely Ms. Beesly. Aside from a brief turn as a hostage in Michael Scott’s epic Threat Level Midnight, Roy’s been MIA since then.

RELATED | Exclusive Office Spin-Off Scoop: Find Out Who’s Who Down on The Farm

Denman, on the other hand, has been busy. In addition to the short-lived Fox comedy Traffic Light, his TV appearances include Brothers & Sisters and Drop Dead Diva.

Denman’s love-to-hate character visits in a season that sees the paper company’s Scranton branch going through a re-org. Clarke Duke and Jake Lacy are joining the show as showrunner Paul Lieberstein (and possibly Rainn Wilson) exit; B.J. Novak and Mindy Kaling won’t be back full-time, either.

The Office returns to NBC Thursday, Sept. 20 at 9 pm/8c.

Comments (60)

• Roy was a jerk, but I love David Denman. I wish they would bring him back on Drop Dead Diva!

Comment by DDB – August 3, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I loved him on Drop Dead Diva…I do remember one of his later appearances on the office (I think at Phyllis’ wedding) he wasn’t so bad, he just didn’t treat Pam like he should have but how else would she have ended up with Jim!

Comment by mnkybee – August 3, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Liked ‘Roy’ as antagonist to Jim/Pam relationship. Made the storyline interesting and has the potential to do the same this time.

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also like “time wounds all heels” but okay, welcome back Roy.

Comment by april-ann – August 3, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will the show be the same without Dwight?

Comment by Hyde – August 3, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. I will stop watching.

Comment by Crim Cramson – August 3, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard from other sources that Dwight is not leaving. I don’t think this is entirely accurate – The other show about Schrute farms is only a pilot.

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just end this goddamn show already.

Comment by Superhero – August 3, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shut up bitch.

Comment by Carso – August 3, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shut up BITCH.

Comment by Crim Cramson – August 3, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SHUT UP BITTTTTCHHHHHHH

Comment by boston – August 3, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah shut the hell up…………………

…………….BITCH

Comment by Jake – August 4, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why complain? Just watch something else – the fact you are responding to this shows your continued interest in the show.

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roy wasn’t Pam’s fiancé when she told him about her kiss with Jim, he was her boyfriend

Comment by Gena – August 3, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. they were definitely engaged when Jim kissed Pam. They were engaged ever since the beginning of the show.

Comment by Jaxon – August 3, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gena said that they weren’t engaged when Pam TOLD Roy about their kiss. They were, however, engaged when they did kiss.

Comment by HillCountry Dachshunds – August 3, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep, that’s what I was trying to say :) TVline seems to have corrected the error now

Comment by Gena – August 3, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. They were engaged three years at the start of the show which caused Michael to give them the World’s Longest Engagement award at each years Dundees until Jim told him to stop it.

Comment by Skyler – August 3, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, they WERE engaged when Jim and Pam kissed. Jim left, Pam and Roy broke up. Jim came back dating Karen, so Pam got back together with Roy. Then Pam told Roy about the kiss. So they were NOT engaged when she told him, like the person above said.

Comment by Andie – August 3, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do they just casually throw in that Rain Wilson might not be back?

Comment by Skylar Stephens – August 3, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s currently developing the spin-off The Farm where he and his relatives (suppposedly sans-Mose) work on the beet farm full time. No clue when his exit will occur, but it’s very likely sometime this season.

Comment by Chris Neal – August 3, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Again, they are only developing a pilot now . A recent interview with Rainn indicated he will be on the show this season – may not be every episode but the intention is not to remove him entirely. The ‘spin off’ may not work as many don’t.

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “noooooooooooooooo. please god nooooooo!”

so they ran out of ideas and are going to have Roy trying to fight with pam or something?

Comment by Rik – August 3, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember Kathy? That has not resurfaced. It could be an interesting twist.

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When was B.j Novak in full time? His character could have been way more

Comment by Luis – August 3, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hes a producer/writer

Comment by rik – August 3, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says ‘former fiance’.

Comment by mothra – August 3, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t at first

Comment by Andie – August 3, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What??? Dwight is leaving?????

Comment by Paul – August 3, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • getting his own show “the farm” as dwight schrute

Comment by Russ – August 3, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should just go off the air now & leave w/some dignity. the show was already slipping – but still hanging on, but w/no dwight for jim to bounce off of, then what’s the point?

Comment by Unay Umpahia – August 3, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought Roy was cuter than Jim….

Comment by Amander Amber H. – August 3, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they show should have ended when michael scott left. it is painful to watch now!

Comment by mark courty – August 3, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is still funny. Shows have to evolve, and part of evolving is developing different and new characters. It isn’t the old Office, but if you watch seasons 1 & 2 now, they aren’t near as funny as 5 or 6. Evolution!!!

Comment by Slick Willie – August 3, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 1-4 are my favorite, and even 5, 6, and 7 were really good and funny, but as soon as Steve Carell left, the show evolved into a much less funny show. Michael Scott was the overall main character and made the show what it was. Ed Helm’s character I thought was extremely funny in his first two seasons on the show has changed too much and isn’t really that funny. It seems like he’s trying to prove himself as worthy to be manager on every episode, and I’ve never liked Ellie Kemper’s character or Andy’s relationship with her. Her character is too exaggerated, and I know that many other characters are very exaggerated, but she is just too stupid. Michael was stupid too, but just the right amount that made him such a great character. I really hope Steve Carell does another comedy series in the future, but I really wish he didn’t leave the Office, because he was just too perfect for that show. I can watch any episode with him in it over and over. I’ve probably watched every Michael Scott episode about 4-5 times on Netflix. I’ve seen many of my favorites 7-8 times. That isn’t at all an exaggeration. I watch it when I’m bored, eating, or going to sleep. The new episodes I only watch once or twice. They just aren’t as good. I also don’t like how Rainn Wilson’s character has changed so much. Dwight used to be easily fooled and was such a suck up to the boss. Even when Michael was on the show, Dwight lost respect for Michael which was upsetting. Upsetting, because I remember a time when Dwight would kneel before Michael and beg for forgiveness after trying to take Michael’s job. Then offering to do his laundry. Michael saying “Hug it out b****.” Even though Dwight plays paintball with Michael on Carell’s last episode, their relationship just isn’t what it used to be. I understand some characters evolve, but I think that the combination of characters and mannerisms from seasons 1-4 made the show as good as it could get. There is some characters that haven’t changed a bit, and to me they are proof that this show had it right from the beginning. One character in particular is Creed Bratton. He doesn’t play a major role in the show, but he’s always so strange and says ridiculous things. I love what they did with his character. From when he died his hair black to him flying a remote control helicopter on the roof. Out of the characters left on the show, he is now one of my favorites and I’m always excited to see what he’ll say/do next. Back to the main point. This show although never completely realistic has lost a lot of it’s realism through not only the long going characters, but the new ones. Jo Bennett, Robert California, Nellie, and Erin are a few of the characters that I find too exaggerated. David Wallace, Jan(before she went crazy), Jim, and Pam were the normal people of the Office. Although it’s funny to see reactions of the normal people by the strange characters, it isn’t as funny when every character is too strange. David Wallace left and Jan went crazy. Pam and Jim are the only normal people left. Even Pam has been a little weird on occasions. I think it’s funny to have strange characters in a show, but also like to have a point of comparison. The look on Jim’s face whenever someone else does something strange. I like that because it seems like he’s agreeing that these people are crazy. With most characters being too strange nowadays, you lose the hint of reality from the show. We’ll see how this next season plays out, but I don’t think it will be their best or even their 8th best.

Comment by Jeremiah – August 4, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still love it…I thought last season was really funny, and the beginning sequence about Pilates/thigh curls was the funniest one ever for us…

Comment by Lin – August 4, 2012 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dwight leaving is just plain stupid. Also, what about Michael Scott’s wedding!?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment by Karan Salwan – August 3, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy has already tweeted images of Rainn on the set of the Office for this season, I think it’s safe to say he is returning.

Comment by David – August 3, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is, but is getting his own show after this year called “the farm” focusing on him a mose at the beet farm.

Comment by Russ – August 3, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A PILOT!!! NOt necessarily going to be a series. It may flop. Does not mean they will do more than one show

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bet they set up Roy/Nellie as the next pointless and boring romantic subplot now that Darryl/Val and Andy/Erin are resolved

Comment by mike – August 3, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Dwight leaves the show I will stop watching it won’t even be remotely funny anymore

Comment by Sean – August 3, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rain Wilson is leaving??? :/

Comment by Kevin – August 3, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would anyone hate him? He was ok but insignificant. I clicked on this hoping Jan would be the returning member.

Comment by Todd – August 3, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow its funny because i thought about bringing back Roy and i thought about that today…..wow

Comment by SamtheMaestro Gonzalez – August 3, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG if Dwight leaves I don’t think I could bear to watch. Although they may develop a rivalry between Andy and Jim. They already have some history esp when they were in Stamford. It won’t be the same though. I have a feeling this will be the last season. Only time will tell. And I agree about michaels wedding! I hope Steve will do a guest appearance of some kind before it is all over. The least the writers could do, even if Steve won’t come back is have a letter, email, or monkey sex link email (lol) from Michael just to check in and say what’s up. His character spent how many years in that company? Somewhere around 20? I know if I spent that much of my life somewhere I would drop a line once in awhile. It just frustrates me. When I clicked the link I admit I had a sliver of hope that he was the one making a visit. Still, can’t wait to see what is in store.

Comment by Karen – August 3, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a screwed up situation. Reminds me of David Sutcliffe failing hard in “I’m With Her”, the rare ABC sitcom that got killed by a WB show, and trudged back to “Gilmore Girls” to turn the sixth and seven seasons as Christopher to screw up Luke and Lorelai hard in a move that only him and his agent actually liked as DS/Christopher had no fanbase whatsover outside of the few who enjoyed his petulant acting. NBC is only going to screw up this show worse by “pulling a Christopher”.

Comment by Mantra720 – August 3, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankly, Mindy Kalling has been entirely superfluous to the series anyway, far better that a competent ethnic character were introduced. Good Riddance and let’s hope that she is permanently removed.

Comment by Eowyn rohan – August 3, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was one of the original writers since season 1. While her character might not play a big role, her work on the show has.

Comment by Olivia Shoes – August 4, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no Michael, no Dwight and Roy back ? End it already please.

Comment by Vomi – August 4, 2012 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually pretty bummed about Paul lieberstein leaving…I really liked Toby, and he wrote some really good episodes. I look forward to anything he partakes in in the future however.

Comment by smearski – August 4, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one cares about Roy. Bring back Michel Scott!!!

Comment by Matt Forcas – August 4, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carell is doing other projects now. Have to have some sort of change to make things progress. Love Michael immensely but he made a good career decision I think. Stop with it already. He’s already left and everyone is still whining about a year plus later. If you can’t live with it, watch something else.

Comment by charla – August 9, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Michael Scott

Comment by Matt Forcas – August 4, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, *he’ll* save the show! This smacks of desperation. “I know – let’s bring back any bit player from the early days of the show, so we can remind the audience of when the show was good! What’s Jan doing these days? How about Carol?”

Comment by Miffy – August 4, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the season that The Office officially jumps the shark, I can hear Fonzie revving up his Harley right now…

Comment by Ron Wyatt – August 4, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooh and by the way, I hate Roy. He was always a boneheaded douche

Comment by Ron Wyatt – August 4, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy watching the office. I like it when everyone gets a turn to have there own part in the show. I like Jim and Pam togeather in the show. It probably would of been ok with Roy. I think Jim turned out much better. I was sad when Micheal Scott left the show and went with Holly. I wish they would have a reunion that Micheal Scott and Holly did get married and did come back and visit the office. I like when nard dog took over the office and became a manager. I think it would be neat to be able to be on the show and meet everyone.

Comment by Debbie – August 6, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They already knocked out the best character on the show, and now they’re going for the second one? Damn, they really wanna get cancelled.

Comment by Marcelo Moreno – August 11, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post