Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From London 2012, Day 6?

gabby douglas smileNBC may not win a Gold medal for its all-around Olympic coverage, but it definitely had fewer stumbles in bringing us the women’s all-around gymnastics competition on Thursday than it did with the men’s equivalent on Wednesday.

For starters, we got to see plenty of action from five of the main medal contenders — Americans Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman, Russians Victoria Komova and Aliya Mustafina, as well as Deng Linlin of China — and that deeper dive into the competition made Douglas’ start-to-finish lead all the more impressive. I mean, when you know how dazzling Komova can be on the floor exercise, or when you’ve witnessed Mustafina’s signature uneven-bar dismount, then you know it takes something pretty special to beat ‘em.

And pretty special would certainly be a great way to describe Douglas’ all-around run. Kicking things off with an explosive, rafters-skimming vault, doing her best imitation of a flying squirrel on the uneven bars, dismounting from the balance beam with equal parts power and exuberance, and finally wrapping things up with a bouncy, beautiful floor routine, Douglas proved an absolute joy for tired Olympic-watching eyes. Yeah, I felt for Silver medalist Komova when she burst into tears after realizing her big score on the final rotation wouldn’t be enough to catch Douglas, and certainly it was hard to see Raisman tie for third but miss the Bronze due to a technical tiebreaker, but at the end of the day, the most consistently brilliant gymnast got the glory.

What was your favorite moment of Day 6? To be fair, Michael Phelps’ three-peat over Ryan Lochte in the 200-meter individual medley was a thriller, too, but in my book, the night belonged to the 16-year-old Virginia girl with the megawatt smile. Whether you agree, or whether a less headline-grabbing moment tickled your fancy on Day 6, do sound off in the comments with your own thoughts!

1. Completely agree, Gabby Douglas owned the night as far as I’m concerned and Aly Raisman’s grace finding out she lost out on bronze by LITERALLY the smallest point value was also a highlight.

2. Elena says:

Definitely seeing Gabby win the gold in all-around was my favorite moment. She’s such a fun little thing to watch out there, and she’s really a solid, talented gymnast as well. She totally deserved that gold medal.
    And it was awesome to see Michael Phelps take the gold in the 200 IM. I was also impressed with Lochte’s gracious attitude towards coming in second to his teammate. A lot of people give Lochte a hard time for the way he comes across in interviews, but I saw a solid competitor tonight with a good attitude towards his teammates who got the better of him, even though he was undoubtedly disappointed with the result of both his races. Overall, it was a great day for the U.S.

• Kate says:

I was one who didn’t care for Lochte coming into these games, but now I kind of blame the media for that. They are the ones who focused only on the “feud” with Phelps. Don’t get me wrong some of the blame does lie with Lochte shooting his mouth off too much without being able to back it up. I was surprised to see they actually seem to get along just fine. The one thing that surprised me tonight was that after they showed Ryan’s dad I actually felt bad for Ryan. His dad just looked mad even though his son medaled in 2 events in a span of like 30 minutes. If that’s really the support he gets, I now kind of understand the chip on his shoulder!

• Emily says:

I hear ya. I loved the little video of Phelps and Lochte together in the ready room, watching Nathan Adrian race the 100 free, and their little celebration when he won. They’re a team.

3. andrew says:

Pretty sure all of that happened on Day 4, you just didn’t see it until Day 5.

4. Lynn says:

Gabby! Gabby Gabby Gabby!! I was also happy to see Phelps win..but..Gabby!!

5. Singingal says:

Canadians ladies getting the silver medal for rowing in women’s 8 the day after the men! Proud moment! 🍁

6. Eliza says:

Definitely the adorable Gabby Douglas! And Michael Phelps. So happy for them! And proud. Also, kudos to Ryan Lochte.

7. Diva says:

Kayla Harrison, first ever to win a Gold for the USA in Judo. She almost quit because she was molested by her coach but she came back in the game. Glad she did! Now her goal is to become a firefighter and she seems like she is such a nice girl even though she could probably kick my butt in 10 seconds flat.
    Gabby takes second for keeping the USA at the top and being the first African-American to do it is just a bonus.
    Third goes to USA’s men’s basketball team for shooting those 3’s like crazy scoring 156 and setting records, but also because they showed class by not crushing Nigeria like they could have done. I know 83 is still a lot but you could tell they were holding back.
    Fourth is Soni for breaking that WR.
    Fifth is Lochte for swimming two meets in a row and placing in both.
    Sixth is Michael Phelps because he’s Michael Phelps and got the 20th medal and it was Gold.

8. Haven’t you guys watched the USA x Brazil men’s volleyball match? I’m Brazilian and we lost, but it was beautiful, you guys played wonderfully, and it really was everything a volleyball match should be. By far my favorite. I don’t like the single sports.

9. Tim says:

The Flying Squirrel for the win!

10. Mína says:

Least favorite: Ali Raisman getting sidelined with just as confused an expression on her face as I had when they glossed over the tie-breaking tabulations. So happy for Gabby though. Komova’s tears were difficult to watch as well. All the swimming as well!!

• Kevin C. says:

Surely Raisman knew how the tiebreakers worked…the exact same tiebreaker rule for the all-around has been in place at least 6 years now and possibly even longer than that (the earliest event I could find where news articles mentioned tiebreaks in the all-around was the 2006 Commonwealth games; they did change the individual event tiebreakers this year).

• Jen says:

Yes I felt awful for Aly :( What a stupid rule since it meant falling off the beam didn’t cost Mustafina a medal which is crazy. Aly was better on three of the four events and deserved the bronze. I liked it much better when in the past a tie meant both girls got medals. Hopefully Aly can medal in the individual events!

11. irishrose says:

I also liked Tyler Clary winning his first gold medal. He was as shocked as anyone else! Also nice to see the underdog win one:)

12. Jay says:

My opinion of Phelps and Lochte have definitely changed since the games started…from the interviews, Phelps seems much more humble than I thought whereas Lochte kind of seems like a douche…

13. Loni says:

I also really enjoyed watching Jordyn cheer for her teammates. I went into watching it feeling so bad for her still, but she was such a good friend to those girls. Good for her!

14. tvdiva says:

Gabby Douglas stole my heart. She was considered an average gymnast by her coaches and she went out and stole the show from the favorites at the Olympics. Gabby proved that you must always believe in yourself when others do not and when you do, you rule your world.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I loved seeing Gabby win. She’s a beautiful, charming girl, and has such long beautiful lines, particularly on the balance beam. NBC did a much better job of covering the women’s than the men’s. It could have been a perfect night if only I hadn’t known Gabby’s win was coming. I didn’t like how they did the tiebreaker for the bronze. It seems like if two beautiful, talented girls have the exact same score, then why can’t they just share the podium? I swear the Olympics used to do that. It’s a super crappy way for anyone to lose out on a medal.

16. Em says:

Aliya Mustafina! I don’t know what it is about that spunky Russian gymnast, but my eyes are glued to her each time she is on the screen. Her reaction shots tonight and throughout the competition have been great! She seems to bounce between moods of fury and sorrow with a handful of smiles peaking out here and there. She is the definition of a DIVA, and I LOVE her!

17. Marcella says:

Thankfulness to my father whoo stated to me about this webpage, this webpawge iss trulyy amazing.