Hannibal Scoop: Bryan Fuller Taps Wonderfalls' Caroline Dhavernas as Female Lead

Get More: Casting News

A talking lion figurine told us something great Wednesday night: Wonderfalls sweetheart Caroline Dhavernas will be part of the Hannibal cast.

Just kidding about the lion – it was actually showrunner Bryan Fuller, the man behind both the single-season cult hit and NBC’s upcoming horror series, who tweeted the news. “CAST #Wonderfalls #Hannibal” said his cryptic message, accompanied by a photo of Dhavernas in her Wonderfalls days.

We hear that the actress will play a series regular named Dr. Alana “Al” Bloom, a psychiatric protege of Hannibal Lecter’s who teaches psychology at Georgetown University and is consulting with the FBI on criminal profiling when she introduces her mentor to Laurence Fishburne’s Jack Crawford.

RELATED | UPDATED Exclusive: Laurence Fishburne Officially Joins Hannibal as G-Man Jack Crawford

Hannibal is, of course, NBC’s contemporary series take on the characters from Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon novel. Written and exec-produced by Fuller, the series centers on the budding relationship between FBI agent Will Graham (played by Hugh Dancy) and his mentor Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) – who are re-introduced at the beginning of their budding relationship.

Dhavernas most recently starred in Shonda Rhimes’ short-lived medical soap, Off the Map.

Hannibal is slated for a mid-season premiere.

Comments (22)

• OMG! Love Wonderfalls and Caroline Dhavernas. I will definitely check this out now.

Comment by Russ – August 1, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Weee’re bobbin’ along in a baaa-rell…”

Yup, that’ll be in my head all night now. Yay for her!

Comment by J – August 1, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some of us tip right over the edge…

Comment by madhatter360 – August 1, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But there’s one thing really mystifying…

Comment by John – August 1, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “It’s got me laughing, now it’s got me crying….”

I wasn’t planning to watch Hannibal, but now I’ll definitely be tuning in to see the awesome Caroline Dhavernas!

Comment by Mena – August 1, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • All my life I will be death defying.

Comment by Michelle R. (@MsMichelleR) – August 1, 2012 08:40 PM PDT
          • ‘Til I know…

Comment by Russ – August 2, 2012 02:13 AM PDT
          • I wonder wonder why the wonderfalls

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 2, 2012 03:01 AM PDT
          • I wonder why the wonder falls on me

Comment by Jay – August 2, 2012 09:19 PM PDT
  • So glad to see Fuller and Dhavernas together once again. I really wanted to see her make a small appearance in Dead Like Me or Pushing Daisies.

Comment by Isaac – August 1, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this was definitely a good idea because I wasn’t planning to watch this…and now I am

Comment by Taylah – August 1, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Wonderfalls and cannot wait to see her on TV again. Will DEFINITELY check out Hannibal now!

Comment by tvaddict – August 1, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show needs to be serialized.

Twitter: @soldak13

Comment by Sean – August 1, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, if Hannibal doesn’t do well, it won’t be for lack of a great cast.

Comment by dryedmangoez – August 1, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy happy joy joy!

Comment by bobbie – August 1, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was on the fence about watching this but definitely will now!!!! I was just thinking the other day I wish Caroline Dhavernas was in something new. Yay! One more reason to love Bryan Fuller.

Comment by Lauren – August 1, 2012 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEVER will I even turn this show on. From casting decisions to basic idea, this is a bastardization of the novels and of the characters already created and ingrained on our memory. A show or movie that looks back at Lecter’s earlier life….great idea. Completely rebooting and restructuring and bastardizing….poor choice.

I will be sitting this one out.

Comment by Ken – August 2, 2012 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad others love Wonderfalls as much as I do! I have never watched anything hannibal related, but I’ll probably check this out. Bryan Fuller is awesome.

Comment by Leah – August 2, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent!

Comment by Sheldon W. – August 2, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want WONDERFALLS back!

Comment by Stacyh – August 4, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to make sweet love to her.

Comment by Retnan – December 29, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Hannibal! Super series!

Comment by annathings – April 29, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post