Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Lead Actress in a TV Miniseries or Movie? Take Our Poll!

The 2012 Emmy race for Lead Actress in a TV Miniseries or Movie covers a wide range of genres — horror, action, biopic, even a dramatization of a narrative poem — but the nominees all have one thing in common: They’re seriously formidable thespians with a history of impressing their peers.

Of the five actresses in contention, three — American Horror Story‘s Connie Britton, Missing‘s
Ashley Judd, and The Song of Lunch‘s Emma Thompson — are prior Emmy nominees (with Thompson having snagged Best Guest Actress in a Comedy for Ellen back in 1998). Meanwhile, Nicole Kidman (Hemingway and Gellhorn)
 and Julianne Moore (Game Change) may be neophytes to the Primetime Emmys (the latter won a Daytime Emmy back in 1988 for As the World Turns), but they’re both multiple Oscar nominees (with Kidman winning Best Actress in 2003 for The Hours).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these talented ladies when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Britta Unfiltered says:

American Horror Story is the only one I’ve seen, but I had to vote for Julianne Moore, because really, when is she not wonderful? Connie Britton is my second choice though if only to get her Emmy she deserved that she never got for Friday Night Lights.

2. Felipe says:

Julianne Moore, without a doubt.

3. jasie says:

Julianne Moore all the way. People must be voting for Connie Britton because she deserved it for FNL. Not for AHS. Which was only ok and didn’t really give her the best to deal with.

4. Soso says:

Indeed, I’m going with Connie Britton just to compensate for her non-winning for FNL… she was good in AHS but not really her best role…

• dude says:

Agreed. I LOVE her and want her to get her “sorry you never got your MUCH deserved FNL Emmy” but she never really stood out the way her co-stars did.

5. TigerNightmare says:

I didn’t watch any of these but voted for Connie just cause.

6. Emily says:

Huh, if that’s how ABC can play it, any short-order TV series cancelled after the first season should be able to contend for miniseries. Then Jason Isaacs might’ve had a worthy shot for Awake.

7. Sean says:

It should be either Nicole Kidman or Julianne Moore because they were the only two that were in actual miniseries or TV movies…

Twitter: @soldak13

8. Sean says:

or Emma Thompson. sorry.

Twitter: @soldak13

9. Tomkat says:

I’m not a fan of Sarah Palin what so ever, but I have to say Game Change is a fair and balanced look at her and shows what a great family person she is, and Julianne Moore’s portrayal of her was absolutely spot on.

• Agreed 100 percent. Her performance was better than the movie. As terrific as Connie Britton is, Moore had the performance of the year. It would have been really easy to fall into the trap of impersonating Sarah Palin, but she created a living breathing character.

I would not be upset if either woman won, however. Terrific work from both.

10. KND says:

As genius as Julianne Moore was I have to go with Connie Britton….FNL is obviously factored in.

11. Zed says:

Stop voting for Connie Britton, she’ll get her emmy next year for Nashville ;)
    I voted Ashley Judd now cz I liked Missing and she was good in that. I didn’t watch the others though, I’ll maybe watch Game Change online later.

12. nick1372 says:

Missing was the only one I watched, but without a doubt Ashley Judd is better than all the other nominees.

Does anyone know if Terra Nova and Alcatraz qualified as miniseries? If so, Sarah Jones and Shelly Conn should definitely have been nominated.

• Carter says:

Ashley Judd is better than Julianne Moore? I think not.

• Jessie says:

Wow, were there two series called Missing last year? Cuz the one I saw was a crapfest, and Ashley Judd was RIDICULOUSLY bad in it. All she did was cry, act grim and serious (“I’m a MOTHER looking for her SON”) and run around in soccer mom clothes and high heel espadrilles while pretending to be some bad-ass retired CIA agent. Not to mention, series canceled in season 1 due to low ratings is not the same thing as a MIniSeries. She and the Exec Producer were all over the media before it debuted talking about plans for season 2. After it was cancelled the producer kept tweeting to try to drum up support for a petition to renew it – nobody signed.

13. Vicky says:

Kerry Washington.

14. RJ says:

Connie Britton was great on AHS! Never saw FNL.

15. JC says:

I voted for Nicole Kidman I love her when she pushes herself further go Nic :))

16. Ethan says:

Julianne Moore is the CLEAR winner here. Connie Britton is TERRIBLE in AMS. She hammed it up so much it was unbearable. She was great in FNL but does not deserving a nomination for AMS. I hate when Emmy gives make-up nomination.

17. Sarah says:

Still pressed that Gillian Anderson didn’t get a nomination for her work on ‘Great Expectations’.

18. Sareeta says:

The only one I watched was AHS, which I thought was pretty bad from an acting standpoint. I find it hard to believe Emma Thompson and Julianne Moore weren’t excellent.

19. aayaan says:

voting for connie britton. She is OVERLYY due an emmy for fnl. So thats surely a factor here. Plus She’s actually good on American Horror Story.

20. ireen says:

Crazy that Missing was canceled!!! I’m so mad about that.

21. andrew says:

Missing was amazing they need to bring the show BACK