TVLine Items: Horror Story's Title Change, Better Off Ted Vet Gets Hot In Cleveland and More!

Jessica Lange American Horror StoryAmerican Horror Story continues to revamp itself in its second season. The latest change? The show’s title!

FX announced Wednesday that the “new chapter” of the spooky anthology will be called American Horror Story: Asylum.

Series co-creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy explained the change in a statement Wednesday. “We picked Asylum because it not only describes the setting – an insane asylum run by Jessica Lange’s character which was formerly a tuberculosis ward – but also signifies a place of haven for the unloved and the unwanted,” he said. “This year’s theme is about sanity and tackling real life horrors.”

PHOTO | American Horror Story First Look: Adam Levine and a Colorful Co-Star

Season 2 of Horror Story — which stars returning players Lange, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe and Zachary Quinto as well as fresh faces James Cromwell, Joseph Fiennes, Franka Potente, Jenna Dewan and Clea Duvall — is slated to launch in October.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Jay Harrington (Better Off Ted) has landed a six-episode arc on Hot In Cleveland, Deadline reports, playing a love interest for Valerie Bertinelli’s character.

• CSI vet Gary Dourdan has booked a recurring role in ABC’s summer 2013 series Mistresses. According to Deadline, he joins the sexy soap as a detective who plays into fellow guest star Penelope Ann Miller’s arc.

• Ben Feldman (Mad Men) will reprise his role as Fred the guardian angel in Drop Dead Diva‘s Sept. 9 Season 4 finale, EW.com reports.

RELATED | Horror Story Boss Ryan Murphy on Emmy Bonanza and ‘Completely Different’ Season 2

• Peter Hermann (Law & Order: SVU) will appear in the third episode of Blue Bloods‘ third season, EW.com reports. He’ll play the ex of Bridget Moynahan’s Erin.

• Anderson Cooper’s syndicated talk show, Anderson, is undergoing some changes leading into its second season. The daily hour-long series will now go by the title Anderson Live and, in its new live format, enjoy an array of co-hosts.

• Showtime will launch Season 3 of its racy reality series Gigolos on Thursday, Aug. 30 At 11 pm. Nick, Vin, Brace and Steven are slated to return, while a new escort named Ash will join them.

• BBC America will co-produce with BBC One The Musketeers, a drama series that’s a contemporary take on the classic Alexandre Dumas novel. Adrian Hodges (My Week With Marilyn, Primeval) will pen the project.

• CBS has pulled its new dating series 3 from the schedule after just two airings. Repeats of the Eye Network’s dramas will occupy the Sunday-night time slot until fall.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Margo says:

I wish Anderson would just give up his show and join Live with Kelly.

2. Keren says:

YaY!! Fred is coming back to Drop Dead Diva!!

3. Keren says:

A modern day ‘Three Musketeers’ interesting! They should try to get Steven Moffat (Dr. Who and Sherlock) and Mark Gatiss (Sherlock) to consult as writers.

4. Tony S says:

I would change the name to : ‘Maybe Killing Connie Britton Wasn’t Really a Good Idea’.

5. mmartian says:

I think this will actually hurt them, i had this problem with another show that chhanged their name every year and by the time i caught it the tivo missed 2 or 3 episodes anually.

• armando.l says:

Spartacus?

The creator of that show said he regretted changing the name for the second produced season, because it confused so many viewers, and of course DVRs didn’t know it was a continuation of the first season.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Amazing Race numbers their seasons in the title too, and I freaking hate it because I always have to remember to set my DVR to re-record the new season every time it comes on. And I rarely watch CBS so I never know when it’s coming back until I’ve already missed a few episodes.

• CJ says:

Yeah, that must be torture to have to punch a few buttons twice a year. You should get a medal.

• Hmmmm says:

Torture is coexisting in a world with gems such as yourself who make overtly rude comments just for the sake of trying to make other individuals feel badly.

• Eli says:

not sure how much you are actually hurting them if you TiVo the show and don’t watch it live in the first place

6. Pete says:

I hate this AHS decision. I feel that it is solely in response to the Emmy flack the network has received. The elegance of the phrase American Horror Story was how it could apply to multiple scenarios within our national culture. Adding a banal subtitle is unnecessary and unappealing. It was clearly pursued solely to distinguish the show as a “mini-series,” which it is not. It is an annual anthology drama.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I agree, they’re totally just doing it to make themselves look better with the Emmy voters. It stinks.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

I didn’t know Joseph Fiennes was going to be on American Horror Story. Crap, now I have to keep watching it. I lust after that man. Damn you for finding my weakness, Ryan Murphy.

8. Kaycee says:

This is totally to make the show seem more like a ‘miniseries’. By changing its title for the next series it’s like a brand new miniseries.

9. Miffy says:

Jay Harrington is the kiss of death for any series. He’s kind of a bland performer, too.

10. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Sometimes the comments on this page make me guggle.

11. Pepper says:

Why is it American in the first place? What is American about it?

(This is an honest question, I love this show but I can’t figure out why it’s American.)