Vampire Diaries' Damon Vs. Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike in Bad-Boy Tourney Semifinals!

Get ready for a teeth-baring battle in the second Semifinal matchup of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament.

Today’s bout finds Damon Salvatore of The Vampire Diaries and Spike of Buffy the Vampire Slayer heading into the ring.

On Thursday, the last two men standing will duke it out in the Finale of our single-elimination tourney. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Semifinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

1. Thea says:

Love Damon dearly. But my heart has belonged to Spike since I was 9 years old. So yeah lol #TeamSpike

• Jackie says:

I love Damon so much but spike really does have my heart since I was a little girl

• Ava says:

Spike would beat the heck out of Damon and then give a little Spike-ish speech about how much more badass he is and then stake Damon. How is he not winning this poll?

• Lee Gilbo says:

I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with it. Damon has always had my heart and always will. But we each have our own reasons :). So It is Damon all the way.

• chad says:

It really just comes down to this, did Damon ever break into song in the middle of the graveyard? I rest my case.

• angela steffen says:

You guys can hate Damon my heart go out to Damon. Damon is a real tube bad ass. I don’t care want ening body says about this. Damon you have your fan out here for you Damon. We love you very much. :):)

• john says:

no cause he could never pull something like that off he would look stupid but spike can look badass doing anything

• bekkah says:

haha i know right! to funny!

• karen says:

buffy v.s. vamprie daries (dont ) stand. chane…

• Ashley says:

I voted for Spike. You don’t get more bad boy than him…or sexier. Nom.

2. George says:

Now THIS one was pure torture, but I’m old school, and I gotta go w/Spike!

3. aunt_deen says:

I voted Damon. But if Spike wins I can totally live with it.

• Jamie says:

I voted for Spike, but if Damon wins I’m totally fine with it! ha!

• Jessica says:

It’s extremely close for a reason! These two should have been the final match-up; they’re both awesome! I voted for Damon but Spike winning is obviously also understandable!

4. lll says:

I believe whoever wins this round will win the whole tournament. The other side doesn’t stand a chance.

5. Shawn says:

Now I know how those Supernatural fans feel when they put the Winchester brothers up against each other. This was super tough! Like the others before me, though, I had to go with Spike. He had my heart far before Damon and still does. :)

6. tracy says:

It was no contest. Spike all the way!!!!

7. rowan77 says:

Behold the power of the Whedonverse. Spike will win.

8. Mara says:

Damon and Stefan are a lame knock-off version of Angel and Spike.
    Damon really is just a Spike 2.0. Except, Damon lacks that.. suave style, charm and effortless sarcasm.
    Spike wins the best vampire vote every time for a reason ;)

• AnnClau says:

I so agree with you. I like Damon but, he doesn’t have a chance against Spike, the original badass vampire.
      Since the beginning I’m thinking Spike should win this whole thing.

• AJ says:

Agreed, also Angel and Spike are so much more interesting and David and James are way better actors.

• Jenn says:

Check your facts. TV Damon is comes from his book counterpart with very little changes (the changes of which are whether or not he likes being a vampire not anything Spike related.) Spike came out of BtVS which began in 1997, Damon’s characterization began with the first Vampire Diaries book in September 1991. If anyone was a copy (which neither of them are obviously,) it would have to be Spike as he was created later. BtVS was the original supernatural show but not the original supernatural series.

• TwinFlamesLove says:

BLESS. Damon, always.

• Katelynn says:

I don’t understand what the fuss is all about with this spike dude. I’m only 15 so that explains why I don’t know spike but to me he just looks like an old guy with white hair so I don’t know what’s attrative about that. Damon all the way!!!

• Nat says:

Watch Buffy. Like, right now. You don’t know what you’re missing. Forget TVD and just buy the BTVS boxset.

• Ivana says:

And does The Vampire Diaries show faithfully follow the books in their characterization, or does it try to mold itself after Buffy?

• Jenn says:

Did you read my post? I pointed out that Damon’s character is almost the exact same and couldn’t possibly be molded after Spike. The only differences are that when he was younger (pre-vampire), he was more naive and good and that unlike his book counterpart, he hates being a vampire.

What are you trying to prove? TVD and BtVS have similarities because they are both vampire shows that feature a love triangle between the female heroine and two vampires. No, that does not mean that one molded itself after the other. In fact, do you even watch TVD? Because I could write and whole post about how any comparisons between Angel and Stefan & Spike and Damon are superficial at best considering I own every episode of Angel and BtVS on DVD. I wasn’t insulting BtVS, I was saying that your statement is ignorant and in the case of Spike and Damon, the only one that could have copied is the character created second: Spike. Do I think this happened? No, of course not. I was just pointing out how stupid your post is.

• Ivana says:

“Because I could write and whole post about how any comparisons between Angel and Stefan & Spike and Damon are superficial at best considering I own every episode of Angel and BtVS on DVD”

Oh, they’re most definitely superficial. But that doesn’t mean that CW didn’t decide to cash in on those superficial similarities, thinking “oh let’s have a show about vampires, that’s popular. Even better, let’s have a show about a heroine in a love triangle with two vampires. And one is ‘broody’ while the other one is kind of a ;bad boy’? The fandom will go crazy with shipping, just like it happened with Buffy!” Even though there was never actually such a love triangle on Buffy the TV show – except for a total of some 10 minutes during the last two episodes, but you wouldn’t know that from the fandom.

Buffy’s characters certainly weren’t molded on The Vampire Diaries – if anything, they were somewhat inspired by Anne Rice’s vampires, which Whedon likes to reference, even though it’s usually in a negative way – but it’s still an influence, even when you’re trying to get away from it.

• Jenn says:

Are you reading anything I’m writing?! Nothing from Buffy was used in TVD. TVD is based off of TVD books. The superficial nature I was referring to was not that there was an actual comparison between the characters, just that “snarky redeemed bad boy” and “brooding protagonist with a dark side he can’t control” are staple characters found in many works in all different genres. And that’s the entire basis of the comparison between Spike and Damon/Angel and Stefan. Broody Stefan and Bad Boy Damon are THAT WAY IN THE NOVELS! WHICH PREDATED BUFFY!
            You know what, I’m just going to say that Spike is Damon 2.0 and Angel is Stefan 2.0 since obviously Whedon saw that the TVD books were a commercial success and thought oh brooding guy and bad boy love triangle with my protagonist? It worked for TVD. Get over it, TVD is based on TVD. The CW network has nothing to do with the characterization of TVD’s protagonists. Your stupidity is giving Buffy fans a bad name.

• Jenn C says:

In response to Ivana, actually you’re way off base, the CW most likely wanted to create a show around vampires due to the ridiculous popularity of the Twilight saga, which (even though I am not a huge fan) had an insane amount of fans. Buffy, while it had a very loyal cult fan base, was not a high rated TV show. In retrospect, it is beloved by critics and it’s vocal fanbase, but when it was on the air, it was hardly a ratings powerhouse. TVD, in the beginning, was obviously trying to attract some of the Twihards, you can even tell in how the first few episodes were written. Also, you’re very mistaken in thinking that the CW wanted to “create” a triangle between the good human girl and two vampires in order to create “shipping”, as L.J. Smith is the one who created that triangle, as it’s the basis for the entire series. It had absolutely nothing to do with Buffy. BTW, I voted Damon, but I’m okay with Spike winning, because I liked him too

• you're an idiot says:

actually, you’re wrong. I was talking to Julie personally, not at a panel at new york comic con last year, and since I’m a huge btvs fan, of course I asked her “do you get your inspiration from that show” and she said “yeah a few aspects from [btvs] inspire us when developing the characters”. A FEW ASPECTS INSPIRE US. A FEW ASPECTS INSPIRE. so you’re wrong. and ivana’s post is not stupid, it’s true.

• izzy says:

@You’re Stupid. Really, that’s not true. Julie has spoken in multiple interviews about her desire to distance TVD from BtVS. What possible aspects are you referring to? I’ve seen both shows and besides the whole Broody vampire vs. Snarky vampire for girl’s heart (which came from the books and not Julie,) I honestly don’t see a comparison. Yeah, they’re both supernatural but that’s it.
            And as for the Twilight thing, just like Once Upon a Time is doing, TVD used to recent fad of vampires (from Twilight) to their advantage. But Twilight and TVD are completely different series, it’s just the topic. And now Once Upon a Time is doing the same thing with the fairytale fad (think of all the recent fairytale movies.) It’s a common marketing tactic and says nothing of where the actual plot/characters come from, just the time to launch.
            Hey, those Twilight movies are making a lot of money and TVD books were really popular, why don’t we try that out?
            No relation to Buffy, if they were trying that then TVD would have come out way earlier. The source material has always been there after all. And, as much as I hate to admit it, Twilight is a bigger commercial success than either Buffy or TVD.

• Meg says:

Thank you SO SO much… I was about to post that Damon and Stefan came first. Glad someone else in the world knows their facts.

• Lara says:

Not the TV versions, though.

The casting and how they play the parts are very much informed by Spike and Angel/James and David. I mean, it’s fairly blatant.

As for Spike, his character developed organically through James. Spike wasn’t supposed to survive his third ep, but James’ superb acting kept him around for the rest of the season, to the end of the series, and then over onto Angel, where he brought 2.5 million viewers with him. Hell, Spike wasn’t even British at first until they had James in the audition room.

I’d like to see Damon or Stefan have a successful spin-off of five years. I’m thinking if they break apart that ensemble, it’d crumble.

#TeamSpike what what?

• Evelyn says:

James isn’t even British, he fakes the accent. So I don’t see how they could have molded the chararcter around him really.

• Lara says:

For some reason, I can’t reply to Evelyn’s comment, but Spike was initially Southern, but James and his Shakespearean background helped him evolve into a Brit. Among other character developments.

You don’t have to be something specific in order to give a great performance, you know. For instance, Eddie Murphy is neither old or Jewish, but played an old Jewish man splendidly in “Coming to America.” And look at any one of Meryl Streep’s characters. It’s called great *acting…*

• fatalsin says:

I dunno… Joss is pretty notorious for having the vision before the product is put out so we cant definitively say TVD pre-dates Spike… I imagine he had Spike in mind before he even did the movie which I know was in 1992 but that was the release year not the actual idea… we will never know.. Because we dont know when TVD writer thought of his characters..or when Joss actually created his in his ever wonderful brain..

• Even then, we’re talking here about the Damon adaption, and the TV show Spike, not the ones in either writer’s head. We haven’t seen those ones, we are not in their heads, we haven’t watched those ones, we aren’t voting for those. We are voting for James Masters’ Spike and Ian Somehalder’s Damon. The Spike we are voting for DID come first, he was settled first in the mind of his fans, his stories came first.

• Damon was written before spike was, and though the tv show came after, it is based on the book where Damon was a villain.

• Marla Sims says:

For BadBoy Spike wins my vote every time,He had alot more then just being a badboy,he had charm also.I am so old school,for me he wins every time.Marla

9. alyssa says:

I still think Angel should be here instead of Spike, and I do love Damon dearly, but I have to vote for Spike since I’ve been a loyal Buffy fan since I was 9 years old.

10. Jess says:

SPIKE!!!

11. nguber says:

Talk about having to make hard choices.

12. Amy says:

Spike has been my pick to win it all from the beginning.

13. ishivi says:

This is hardly a competition. It’s Spike!

And if it were Angel vs. Stefan, it would be Angel. The vamps on Buffy were just so much deeper in character and the writers weren’t afraid to go all out with them.

14. Anne says:

Sorry Damon I love you, but I’ve loved Spike for much longer.

15. Akary says:

I still think Angelus is the original badass vampire.

Damon is cute but spike was really cool in the firtS season of Buffy.

• Stacey says:

Spike wasn’t in the first season of Buffy, he first appeared in season two, episode School Hard. :)

• Manie says:

Angelus never killed 2 Slayers, so just for that Spike is more badass! ;)

• Junaid says:

Although I would choose Spike as my favourite vampire any day, I have to choose Damon as the best ‘badass’. Spike as a character is way better than Damon, but in terms of being a ‘badass’ I don’t think so. Yeah, Spike killed two Slayers(a Chinese Slayer and Nikki Wood), but Damon killed way more people than that.

16. diana says:

Damon all the way he is way hotter his eyes oh yes those eyes his cockiness his manly way of loving so much that he don’t care if it makes her mad as long as she is safe! Just love him all the way !!!!!!

17. Lucky says:

No choice but to vote for Spike on this one. I think Damon’s cool and all, but he can’t even come close to Spike.

18. bobbie says:

Spike <3

19. Kristina says:

Yeah Spike!!

20. Please do not let Damon win this. Spike all the way.

21. Jen says:

i love damon/tvd but if your gonna make me choose, its Spike for the win. he has been a favorite of mine for years. loved him on buffy and angel.

22. Fernanda says:

William the Bloogy… aka SPIKE!!!! Damon is just a wannabe by his side

23. I haven’t been voting in this competition, but no way I’m gonna let Spike <3 be beaten by some 2009ish cheap knock off.

• Lila says:

Hard to be a knock off of something that came after you. Seriously, why are so many people acting like Buffy The Vampire Slayer came before the story of The Vampire Diaries? It didn’t. The Vampire Diaries and the character of Damon have been around since 1991.

• We’re not talking about the book character here, though. We’re talking about the TV adaptation, it’s a completely different thing. If book characters were the same as tv adaptations, you could have a point.

• Lila says:

I do have a point. You know why? Because TVDamon and BookDamon are pretty much the same. Bonnie in the books and show is completely different but not Damon. I’ve read all the books, seen all the episodes, everything. And the point of that post was just to say Damon’s characterization is not at all based on Spike, which it isn’t because it’s almost 100% faithful to the books.

24. Chelsea says:

I am a die hard Buffy fan so of corse I went with spike!

25. Evelyn says:

SPIKE SPIKE SPIKE

26. Mary says:

Spike. He killed two slayers. How many has Damon taken out?

27. Chalice93 says:

Spike. I like Damon but his thing with Elena drags him down, Spuffy on the other hand used to elevate Spike.

28. Jenna says:

I’ve never heard of this Spike, but man Damon is such a bad boy

• Camilla says:

You should try watching BTVS, I love TVD but Buffy is ten times better ;)

• Sparrow21 says:

watch BTVS, it maybe a 90’s show but if it had been shown today it will still outdo every supernatural show on TV. it would even beat True Blood’s amazing concept of vampire authority.
      It’s very hard not to love Spike for those who live in the Buffyverse

29. Sam says:

I love Buffy as much as the next Whedonite, but seriously? Spike?! Not to get all mushy fanboy, but Damon actually cares about Elena, and Spike still would have killed Buffy in Season 6 if he could. Spike’s a great character, but Damon is far more likable. Plus James Marsters is so grubby looking on that show.

• Manie says:

Spike evolution as a character was more plausible. For me he is more badass in the sense that he started as a villain and slowly VERY slowly shifted from hate, to obsession, to love when it came to Buffy and in the end he chose to get back his soul to prove her that he wasn’t a monster. Damon is more likely to kill everyone to save Elena before doing something like that. I love Damon, but BtVs is a cult series! XD

• Sparrow21 says:

it’s not as much as being likable, but how the characters have been written… Spike’s character have been written so uniquely and fabulously colorful. He evolved from one point to another from season to season.. And though Damon’s first life makes him lovable, being devoted and all, but Spike’s first life as William was just interesting and fun, and how all his repressed personality build up his vampire character.

• Ally says:

I can’t believe how many people like Spike so much. I was a huge BTVS fan back in the day but to me Spike was always a pathetic character. And that whole “romance” with Buffy thing never gelled with me, it was kind of annoying actually. Now, don’t get me wrong, Spike had his badass moments but he had nothing on Angel. I still can’t believe Spike beat Angel in this comp.

• That’s factually incorrect. Spike could have killed Buffy in season 6, since he was able to hurt her since she came back from death – very easily, in fact, since she was even letting him handcuff her during sex – but he didn’t want to.

And I have no idea what you mean by “grubby looking”, James Marsters looked awesome, gorgeous and sexy on BtVS.

• Not to mention that Spike cared about Buffy and her sister in season 5 as well – he was tortured by the hellgod Glory but wouldn’t give Dawn’s secret to her because it would hurt Buffy. And he fought with the Scoobies, and went on to help them and patrol with them and take care of Dawn after Buffy’s death, just out of the promise he gave Buffy.

30. Stacey says:

SPIKE, hands down. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a show that changed television. It was a cult hit and has several life time fans. I myself have been a fan since BTVS aired 15 years ago on March 10, 1997. I had just turned 12 and I fell inlove, with anything joss whedon creates! Spike is a unique bad ass vampire- joss whedon creates utterly lovable villains. <3

31. Samantha says:

I watch both shows, but mostly because BTVS made me a lifelong vampire fan, so I watch all things vampy. I am certainly a fan of Damon, he has some amazing eyes, but I choose Spike all the way. Ooh, now I’m curious if Damon can sing (I was just listening to “Rest in Peace” yesterday, from Once More With Feeling.)

32. I do love Damon, but he hasn’t beat Spike yet.

33. I do not watch/have not watched The Vampire Diaries. Buffy is the best! Spike has my heart!! (and vote, of course).

34. Kris says:

I love Spike and think he deserves to win (he was far more badass, Damon reminds me more of a petulant child who acts out). Plus it would be nice to see just one of these polls not dominated by the likes of Supernatural of TVD. Love both shows, but after a while it becomes meaningless. Sadly, BTVS is old school and TVD is a show with plenty of tech-savy (and time lacking) obsessive teenagers. *Disclaimer, I am not saying ALL fans are this way. I watch and love the show, but they seem to have more than their fair share. Sigh. God’s speed, Spike.

• Ally says:

Judging by the amount of people in this poll who voted for Spike, I think that there’s a lot more of us twenty-somethings on this sight than you think. That being said, huge BTVS fan that I am, I still voted for Damon. As a sidenote, can you imagine Buffy with Damon? That relationship would have been steamy.

• Buffy doesn’t need a cheap Spike knock-off when she can have the real thing. ;)

• _____ says:

Awkward since Damon was created years before Spike and therefore only Spike could be the knockoff….

• Emily says:

Because comics geek Joss Whedon regularly reads obscure teen paranormal romance series. Yeah, okay.

• Lila says:

No one thinks that Whedon got the idea from L. J. Smith. People are just pissed at the ignorance in saying Damon, who preceded Spike, is a “knockoff.” Everyone’s saying it but Damon has been around since 1991 and his television counterpart is faithful to the books. Read the other comments, everyone’s saying that which is why that person responded that way.

• Tim says:

This is TV Line, not Book Line. Book characters don’t matter. So everyone arguing about which came first is moot. In terms of television characters, Spike appeared first. That’s just simple factSure, The Vampire Diaries came first in terms of the universe it exists in. But the television show was 10+ years after Buffy premiered. So, actually, for this website’s purposes, Spike did come first, no matter Damon’s faithfulness to his book inspiration. That said, I’m voting Damon because Spike had a two-year period where he was more emo than Peter Parker in Spider-Man 3. And there’s no such thing as a bad boy emo kid.

• Mikaylah says:

Buffy would eat Damon alive. And when he threw a hissy fit and killed someone she would kill him.

35. Ella says:

Spike would kick Damon’s ass.

36. Manie says:

Spike is the ultimate badboy HANDSDOWN! Damon may for some be cuter, but Spike is the perfect badboy!

37. Sparrow21 says:

love ‘em both… Damon is the best thing in TVD but his good guy moments are a bit lame especially with the recent season. But Spike, oh Spike, he’s been consistent since he first emerged. From Villainous vamp, to weirdly obsessed to getting Drusilla back, to chip-having-vengeful to Buffy stuff, to secretly and stalkery in-love with Buffy, to the unwelcomed member of the Scoobies, to him almost raping the Buff, to the crazy unstable soul-having vampire, till the very end, dying as a champion of the people. My money will always be on Spike!!!

38. Holly says:

Damon! Hands down! Way hotter and just awesome <3

39. Miranda says:

DAMON ALL THE WAY!! BEST CHARACTER ON TVD! ;) I TOTALLY HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM! IAN IS GORGEOUS AND A GREAT ACTOR! FAV BAD BOY FOR SURE!

40. Sparrow21 says:

Damon Voters are in for the good looks, Spike’s fans are in for all his coolness. William the Bloody is a million tons worth of COOLNESS! (still watch BTVS to date. I get to watch the entire series at least twice a month. ONCE MORE WITH FEELING!!!)

• Evelyn says:

The whole series twice a month? Buddy, for your sake I hope you’re exaggerating. The show has, if memory serves, 144 episodes. That’s like eight days straight watching, sixteen days if you sleep. Geez, I mean I love Buffy too but I’ve still only watched it through three times in my life.

• Lilly says:

I voted for Damon because I don’t like Spike as much as I love Damon character-wise. Ian’s looks are irrelevant. I voted because I hated the whole chip-in-head and hey,now I have a soul too thing with Spike. t felt unnatural. They made excuses for his behavior and he became really weird to me. I understand Damon’s growth because when you juxtapose Damon’s 1864/1912 selves to his S1-S3 selves, it makes sense. It feels more like a natural progression to me. Spike I thought just stopped being as badass and then there was that whole attempted rape but the chip won’t let me thing. I’m in my 20’s, watched BtVS, Angel and read the post-series finale comics for both and I can honestly say that I just love Damon’s character much more. I think he’s a perfect example of a bad boy archetype. While with Spike, I can see that it wasn’t Whedon’s original intention to redeem Spike. You know how he decided to keep Spike who was originally supposed to just be a villain? Well, I think (personally) that it shows in his growth and journey. That’s why I voted for Damon. None of this, OMG he’s so hotttttttt nonsense.
      Is there a reason you have to be so superficial? It’s not like James is lacking in the looks department. And his accent…

• Kelly says:

Thank you, so much. I can’t stand when people make generalizations like this. There is so much more to Damon’s character than that. I liked Spike, but Damon will always have my heart.

• ” Spike I thought just stopped being as badass and then there was that whole attempted rape but the chip won’t let me thing”
        Huh what? What doe the chip have to do with the attempted rape? Spike was able to hurt Buffy throughout season 6, and after the AR he went to fight for his soul because he realized he had to change. It’s an awesome storyline.
        And “Buffy stopped being badass”? Oh come on. Spike was way more badass in seasons 5-7, then he ever was in season 2. In season 2 he was hiring assassins to take out Buffy and got chased away by Joyce with an axe. In season 5 he told a poweful hellgod to sod off when she tortured him, in season 6 he went to fight for his soul and won it, in season 7 he withstood torture by the First and sacrificed himself for the world. He was way more badass as a good guy than as an evil vampire, unless “badass” for you means “enjoys killing people”.

• Lilly says:

I didn’t mean literally that the chip stopped him in season six or anything. I was just throwing out things about Spike’s storyline that were weird, and one was the chip won’t let me hurt people and the other was the attempted rape. I didn’t like the whole chip and soul plotlines. The chip I thought was just weird and the soul thing only worked for me when it was one case- a curse put on Angel. After Spike got one I was just like okay, so now this is a thing?
          And yes, I think that Spike got weird and less badass after his love of Buffy came about. This is an opinion, your examples won’t change my mind. No, it doesn’t have anything to do with killing people because then I’d say the same for Damon who’s death tally was remarkably low for Season 3. Spike just seemed less awesome and weird to me, I didn’t buy the shift. Damon’s characterization makes sense because from one of the first episodes you discover his entire characterization and motives are based on love. You never question why he changes (you may not like it, but it doesn’t come out of nowhere,) it was always natural.

• We knew that Spike’s motives were (mostly) based on love since the first episode he appeared in – from his second scene, as soon as Drusilla walked into the room. His characterization as “love’s bitch” who is “man enough to admit it” was always consistent.

Why would ‘the soul thing’ work only as a curse? Spike’s story is very different from Angel’s – he CHOSE to get his soul back.

• Lilly says:

I was saying that I thought that the whole Spike now has a soul thing was a cop out in the way to redeem him. I didn’t like that Whedon reused that (the whole soul=redemption thing.) You think that Spike’s characterization was natural, I don’t. I see why you think his “love’s bitch” thing led into his redemption but it didn’t work for me. I thought it was just a way to keep Spike on. It’s not like Whedon hasn’t admitted that he originally wasn’t going to redeem Spike. I just didn’t buy it. This is where we differ.
            I’m not sure why you’re continuing this as I have not said anything against voting for Spike. Just my personal views. I only replied because I was offended by the superficiality of the original post and insults to anyone who’d vote for Damon. There are many legitimate reasons to vote for Damon. And though I don’t like Spike’s character, there are many reasons to vote for him as well.

• timetravellingbunny says:

Getting his soul back isn’t a “cop-out”. Soul doesn’t equal redemption.Spike earned his redemption by DECIDING to CHANGE, by CHOOSING to get his soul back, fighting for it, and that wasn’t enough to get him immediate redemption – he had to prove himself in S7 – Buffy was the only one who believed in him and thought he COULD be a good man if given the chance; nobody gave him a free pass and assumed hat he was already good. Most of the others were still suspicious and unsure about him – including Giles and the Potentials. Spike fought on the side of good and willingly sacrificed his life to close the Hellmouth for good (he could have left when Buffy asked him to, the battle was already won before he started burning out). That’s what earned him his redemption.

Soul it is the Buffyverse equivalent of conscience, internal moral compass. Having it doesn’t mean using it – lots of human ignore it and do evil things (including Faith, Willow, Warren, Andrew…) and have to earn redemption, or never even want to (Warren). But not having a soul is a huge handicap as, at best (Spike in seasons 5 and 6) one doesn’t really have a moral center and only acts in the punishment/reward way or relies on other people as moral guides (Spike using Buffy as his moral guide at the end of S5). BtVS made it clear in S6 that you can’t be truly good this way (even if some Spike fans believed otherwise). Spike had to be an ethical person on his own, rather than just to not do evil things because Buffy wouldn’t like it. And this is one of the many reasons why BtVS is superior to TVD. If anything, it’s TVD that features cop-outs, all the time. Damon hasn’t got a moment where he stops and realizes that he really needs to CHANGE and does something about it. Instead, we’re supposed to think he’s OK and acceptable and just bad in a likeable way, because he loves Elena so he’s on the side of good now. (Despite still doing things like mind-controlling and constantly raping his sex-slave ‘girlfriend’.) BtVS made it clear that loving Buffy wasn’t enough to make Spike good, subverting the myth that a guy just needs to love the right woman to be good. His love for Buffy certainly inspired Spike to be a better man, but it wasn’t enough to make him one. He has to change himself on his own.

• Reward says:

Agree.

• Damon has nothing on Spike in terms of good looks and sex appeal.

41. Reward says:

Spike, I have no doubt about it. Spike, when he was an Evil vampire, killer 2 slayers without any compassion. Damon Salvatore has to do MORE AND MORE to arrive in spike’s level. Well, Spike. BTVS in my heart. Always and forever.

42. Emmaline says:

Spike all the way! Damon’s way too whiny. Spike got all ‘weird’ because he got his soul back. What’s Damon’s excuse? Oh right moping over the girl he can’t have again, oh boo hoo hoo no love for Damon. Plus TVD’s writing is just … How many times do you need to incorporate modern day lingo like d–k and douchebag into a sentence?

• Rachel says:

I’ve got to call you out on this. Spike was whinier than Damon, and not just when he got his soul back. What about the time Spike sat at the kitchen table whining about Druscilla to Buffy’s mother? Spike whined for Druscilla and then he whined for Buffy. I loved Spike, but don’t go saying Damon’s whinier because he just isn’t. Damon had 1/2 season of whininess (S2), Spike whined the entire series.

• Sarah says:

Agreed. When Damon gets his heartbroken, he doesn’t complain about it. He has an “existential crisis” in S2 but he doesn’t go “why don’t you love me?!” even when the lack of love gets ridiculous or when the people he starts to care about all die tragically in front of him.

• jennnnn says:

learn to spell and then comment. it’s drusilla

43. Lilly says:

Damon will always get my vote, because it seems like he can never win on this damn show. Lol

44. Betty says:

Damon, because his character is the only thing TVD has going for it. :/

45. stevie says:

effulgent!

46. TJCrinc says:

Spike and angel are the last real vampires to ever grace any kind of screen.

47. Mary says:

I will say this. If you threw Elena into the mix, there’s no question as to who would kick whose ass. Just sayin’. There’s nothing better than a man/vamp who’s willing to do anything and EVERYTHING it takes to save the woman that he loves. ;)

• “There’s nothing better than a man/vamp who’s willing to do anything and EVERYTHING it takes to save the woman that he loves.”

And which one are you talking about?

• Mia says:

Spike grows to love Buffy and is devoted to her. But if you watched The Vampire Diaries (do you?) you’d know that Damon’s entire background, storyline, plotline, everything is based on his romantic love and devotion at first for Katherine (before she’s revealed to have used him) and since then Elena. The amount of times and crazy things Damon’s done for Elena actually outweigh Spike for Buffy. Not because Spike loves her any less but because Damon’s everything is love/Elena.

• Before Spike fell in love with Buffy, his entire storyline was marked by his love for Drusilla, and even as a human, romantic idealization of Cecily as well as his love for his mother.
          Although it wasn’t just about romantic love with Spike to the extent it is for Damon – Spike wanted to be somebody and Drusilla was his muse who ‘saved him from mediocrity’ while Buffy was the muse who helped him discover the goodness and heroism in himself. Which only makes Spike the more interesting character to me. Before he was turned, he was a good man and cared about his mother – while Damon didn’t seem to care about anything other than Katherine and was helping her kill people just because he was so smitten with her. I understand that you prefer Damon because romantic love is EVERYTHING for him, but it’s one of the reasons why I like him less than Spike.

• Lilly says:

“While Damon didn’t seem to care about anything other than Katherine and was helping her kill people just because he was so smitten with her.” You clearly either haven’t seen the show or just have a personal bias towards Damon. There is one scene where Katherine “teaches” Damon how to hunt as a vampire. But that’s hardly a thing, it’s one instance and Damon showed no desire to kill people. Right after he turned, he berates Stefan for killing people and is disgusted enough to leave. In fact, in 1912 (50 years later) Damon still has no desire to kill people and is shown upset with the development of him having to kill people. Pre-vampire Damon does not show just a blind desire to please Katherine, he is a black sheep who wants to find a place. That’s how Katherine easily manipulated him. He’s naive and lonely and always failed to live up to people’s expectations until Katherine.
            It’s his evolution from that person to the one he is now that is the reason why I like him.

• @Mia: I’ve seen the entire first 2 seasons of TVD and the first couple of episodes of season 3. So if there’s a flashback from season 3 that contradicts this, please tell me. And I’m certainly not biased towards Damon – I have no strong feelings about him, or any of the TVD characters. I find the show fun, but lacking in depth.
            I never said Damon showed a desire to kill people. I said that he was completely OK with Katherine killing people and helped her kill people (the guy in the carriage). He was also all about becoming a vampire and being with her forever, even though he knew full well what vampires are like. There’s no point at which he showed he cared nearly as much about anyone else, even his family. It was all Katherine, Katherine, Katherine. He had no moral guide at all, and nothing in the first 2 seasons that I’ve seen shows him ever getting one. As far as I remember, he wasn’t bothered that Stefan was killing, he was first blaming him for Katherine’s supposed death, and then he was jealous and resentful that she turned Stefan as well, not just him.
            And then he just became all Elena, Elena, Elena. He’s got Spike’s love’s bitch tendencies upped to eleven, and without Spike’s complexities and other positive impulses, without Spike’s desire to be someone special (after he was turned) and to become good (after he was chipped and fell in love with Buffy). There’s no evidence that Spike would have accepted killing people as OK while he was still human – Drusilla turned him, and when you become a vampire and lose a soul and get a ‘demon’ inside, you’re always evil in Buffyverse: you lose your moral scruples and your evil and violent impulses multiply. And he still loved his mother deeply. And BtVS made it clear that loving Buffy wasn’t enough for Spike to be good – he had to realize that he needed to change, and change on his own. Does Damon ever had this moment when he realizes he needs to change? From what I’ve seen, TVD does its best to perpetuate the myth that love is all a man needs to be an OK and acceptable guy (even the badness is supposed to just be cool and likeable). And this is also why Spike is more complex and why his story is much better, IMO.

• J says:

The poll was for the top Bad-Boy. Damon isn’t really and you are arguing about romantic love to justify voting for him, huh. It is deeply frustrating when we can’t do these polls properly because people just vote for their favourite character every time. That wasn’t what the poll was asking you. Deeply, deeply frustrating.

48. Sarah says:

I voted Damon because Delena is my OTP but if Spike wins I won’t be disappointed :) Spike was my first love! :)

49. Andreea says:

I love Damon…..but I LOVEEEEEEEE Spike

50. Jessica says:

Spike 100%! He is the best bad boy by far.