New Brady Bunch Series In Development at CBS

Here’s the story of a man named Vince Vaughn, who is looking to bring The Brady Bunch to a new generation.

The Wedding Crashers star is working with CBS to develop a continuation of the beloved mixed-family sitcom, which aired on ABC from 1969 to 1974.

RELATED | Get All the Latest Updates on NBC’s Reboot of The Munsters

As our sister site Deadline reports, the multi-camera comedy project — which at this point has received only a script order — centers on a grown and divorced Bobby Brady (the original clan’s youngest son), who now has children of his own and is remarried to a woman with her own brood. The two also have a child together and maintain relationships with their respective exes.

RELATED | Community‘s Dan Harmon Developing Comedy for CBS — But There’s a Twist

Mike Mariano (Raising Hope) has been tapped to pen this Brady Bunch revisiting, while Lloyd Schwartz (son of late Brady creator Sherwood Schwartz), Victoria Vaughn (Couples Retreat), Peter Billingsley (Sullivan & Son) and Vaughn himself will executive-produce.

CBS is also likely to bring back the Brady Bunch‘s signature theme music but with a modern-day twist, not unlike the tweaks the network made on their Hawaii Five-0 reboot’s opening song.

Thoughts on the second-coming of The Brady Bunch? Hit the comments?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Christine says:

NO. Just no!!

2. Mike says:

Yes! Bring it back! Lol. Not really, but it’d be cool to see how first episode is.

3. AW says:

Mike Lookinland

• AW says:

…there was supposed to be a question mark. As in, Mike Lookinland? As in, are they getting the real Bobby Brady?

• I hope so. If they hire a younger actor that is, like, 20 or 30 or something, I’ll be upset. I’d rather have Bobby at the age that he’s supposed to be at with his kids. He should be…what? Late 40’s, early 50’s by now? So if they keep him at this age, and if Mike is willing to play Bobby once more, then I say give it a try. But if they can’t get Mike, then they’re going to be in trouble already because I can just picture them hiring a young, hot actor just for eyecandy.

4. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

At least it would be a continuation and not a complete remake. Id tune in if they got original cast members back. (What are they doing anyway?)

• Ann says:

Definitely. If they are going to do a continuation of the Brady Bunch…they need to use the original cast members! With cameos from Bobby’s other siblings and mom!

• TV Gord says:

This is not a continuation. It’s a reboot, with a new cast (as The Brady Bunch Movies were).

5. MAC says:

Let it go ugh!

6. Mark says:

Is Mike Lookinland going to play the lead role or no? I don’t see why Florence wouldn’t reprise her role at the very least.

7. Ruby says:

In The Brady’s The 1990 reboot of The Brady Bunch which was also on CBS, or as it was called by The Brady Bunch cast BradySOMETHING Bobby was paralyzed in a race car accident. Will this be bought up in the new show?

• nyangel22 says:

I totally forgot about the Brady 500. i really liked that movie and now i’m kinda sad to know that Bobby and his wife got divorced.

• TV Gord says:

It was called The Bradys, and it was a one-hour drama on Friday nights on CBS. It lasted for the first two-hour episode (aka The Brady 500), and four more episodes. It wasn’t a fan of the original sitcom, but I kind of liked The Bradys.

8. Barbara says:

Seriously? Use your imaginations and come up with something original. Geez, enough rebooting old shows.

9. dianne says:

id love to see a brady bunch continuation. Especially if they brought back the original cast. I used to love that show and drove my mom nuts w the theme song. Id watch it.

10. Moe says:

Good lord, really? REALLY? What lame lame idea, sigh.

11. Andrew says:

no one remembers step by step?

12. Rolfe says:

I’d be fine with a recast.

13. TrP says:

Get out!!!

14. Ruby says:

Florence Henderson said if CBS asks her she would consider coming on the show this is what Florence just said on her twitter page.

15. mia says:

NOOOOOOOO. I grew up watching The Brady Bunch in reruns, I do not want to see this. And I just told my parents, who grew up when it originally aired, they don’t want it either.

16. BTM says:

It’s just the gift that keeps on giving, isn’t it?

17. I’ll give it a try if Vince Vaughn plays the lead role lol. I would love to see him as Bobby Brady.

18. nyangel22 says:

didn’t we already have a Brady Bunch redo back in the early 90s. it was called Step by Step, which ironically is a much funnier show than the Brady Bunch ever was. i know it wasn’t a continuation, but the plot to this, other than the fact that Bobby Brady is a protagonist, is very similar to what happened with Frank and Carol on Step by Step right down to them having a kid of their own.

19. Eric says:

I can see Louis CK playing Bobby Brady.

20. Julie says:

Mike Lookinland is 51.

21. april-ann says:

I don’t think I’ve ever received so many mixed signals about a tv series! (nothing against the writer of the article). “Continuation”, to me anyway, means picked up where they left off. But that was thwarted with “a grown and divorced Bobby Brady”, which can hardly be called a continuation. “…has children of his own and is married to a women who has her own brood”. Okay, that’s in keeping with it. But “…The two also have a child together and maintain relationships with their respective exes…”. No, that is not in keeping with it. That’s sooo not The Brady Bunch. Develop a show, make it what you want, but DON’T pretend it’s The Brady Bunch. I was excited (the Schwartz name, the music…) but not about the premise and the misleadings about it. Oh who am I kidding? You had me at “multi-camera comedy project”. I am so tired of the one-camera artsy stuff. I want cheesy. I LONG for 70s and 80s and 90s cheesy. It’s easy to watch and it’s fun. And the multi-camera will be better than ever now. And, whole truth be told, you had me at “New Brady Bunch Series in Development”… I’m in.

• dude says:

Not really. Dallas was a continuation of the previous series and it didn’t pick-up in 1991. Continuation just means it’s continuing the story of the characters and is set in the same universe as the previous series.

• april-ann says:

Thanks, dude. So then, what’s a “reboot”? I recall the new Dallas described as a reboot.

• JASon says:

Reboot would be as if the original series never happened. FOr the BRady bunch it would Be all the same characters as Kids again.

• Mary says:

Bionic Woman a few years ago was a reboot as was Charlie’s Angels last fall. It’s when you take the concept, make a few changes and then get a totally new cast from the original.

22. arial2 says:

Please, NO MORE Brady Bunch! Let the show rest in peace.

23. Jason says:

Vince Vaughn made me chuckle in Swingers. That was so very long ago. He hasn’t made me chuckle since. Now he’s developing content for networks. How did it come to this? Why do we let this happen? Please terminate this project.

24. mnT says:

STUPID IDEA! it wont last a season. they’d be better off upgrading the old episodes to HD and re-running them. Hollywood twits!

25. Elle says:

THE SILVER PLATTERS! There’s the premise, they go on tour and how they cope with family life on tour. :) You can even include Cousin Oliver! I love the Christmas special and would buy it if they put it on DVD.

26. Gilda says:

I’m not sure this is really necissary…

27. TrP says:

Wasn’t Bobby in a wheelchair (from a racecar accident) last time we saw him?

28. Mel says:

Sounds more like a remake of Step by Step to me

29. Whatever says:

People thought bringing Dallas back was a bad idea too.
    They thought that it was doomed to fail…

30. dude says:

This is what happens whenever a reboot is brought back well (like Dallas) networks try to bring back anything else they can think of. Some classics can just stay classics.

31. Jacqi says:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would totally not watch this new series if it came on.

32. nick1372 says:

I would watch the pilot at least. I’m a fan of family comedies, so I would have to check it out.

I watch the reruns of the original series occasionally. I like it. I saw most of the movie they made in the 90s, but it was horrible, mostly because it had nothing to do with the show.

I hope they don’t screw it up. But if it has Raising Hope’s Mike Mariano, I have faith in it.

33. Jamie says:

Time in TV and Movies really is cyclical isn’t it… can we please get something new now? How did anyone in the entertainment industry function in the early days when there was nothing to be copied and rebranded. Sigh…

34. Larc says:

If you don’t have the talent to come up with good original ideas, I guess there’s no choice but to use another person’s old one.

35. AL says:

Bobby was married to Martha Quinn. You expect me to believe they split up?

36. Bradly says:

Next thing you know, Nicolette Sheridan will be heading up the new Knots Landing…

37. David says:

If you MUST remake an old show, try “Honey West”. The original was in BW, was a half-hour long and got trounced by Gomer Pyle…but it still had extra life in it. Leave the Bradys alone!!!

38. Jennifer says:

You gotta be f***in kidding me!? Is Hollywood really so lazy that the best “original” ideas they can come up with are other people’s old ones? Or did something suck the creative out of it. Come on people, viewers aren’t stupid, we want something INTERESTING, CREATIVE AND ORIGINAL. NBC screwed it up when they cancelled Awake so they could produce endless mindless hours of “reality” crap. CBS, please don’t do the same. Reboot must be new code word for “unoriginal and lazy”.

• nick1372 says:

You don’t seem to know how the TV business works. Awake was canceled because it had low ratings and NBC was losing money on it. Not because it was an original idea. Also, some of that “reality cr*p” was canceled too. TV stations want shows that people will get money for them. Period.

39. brenda says:

Yea!!! What a FANTASTIC idea! Keep it true…make it fresh…I’ll watch.

40. Ryan Tower says:

Stupid. Just get Peter Brady-Christopher Knight (who’s already been on reality tv airwaves alot the last 7 years) Give his character 3 sons and he’s broke so he moves back into the house with Florence Henderson (carol)…and new maid named Alice by co-inidence. He meets a yoga instructor with 3 daughters. Done and done…simple, fun…there will be enough zany stories just from modern day things like cell phones.

41. Dave brisson says:

Can’t wait its going to be a sunshine day

42. Kids…. Marriage … Divorce WTF this aint the Brady Bunch, the Brady Bunch is Alice, Carol Mike, all under one roof this will fail no one is interested they need a TV show like first of the 90’s Movies lol Hip and Cool And the Ditmires lol

43. Fantastic goods from you, man. I have consider your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve bought here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way during which you say it. You are making it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to learn much more from you. That is really a tremendous website.

44. Robert Mc says:

“I’M GONNA KEEP ON…KEEP ON…KEEP ON…KEEP ON DANCIN’ ON THRU THE NIGHT

I’M GONNA KEEP ON…KEEP ON…KEEP ON DOIN’ IT RIIIIIGHT….”

– another Robert (Mc….hi lan)