New Brady Bunch Series In Development at CBS

Get More: News, Pilots

Here’s the story of a man named Vince Vaughn, who is looking to bring The Brady Bunch to a new generation.

The Wedding Crashers star is working with CBS to develop a continuation of the beloved mixed-family sitcom, which aired on ABC from 1969 to 1974.

RELATED | Get All the Latest Updates on NBC’s Reboot of The Munsters

As our sister site Deadline reports, the multi-camera comedy project — which at this point has received only a script order — centers on a grown and divorced Bobby Brady (the original clan’s youngest son), who now has children of his own and is remarried to a woman with her own brood. The two also have a child together and maintain relationships with their respective exes.

RELATED | Community‘s Dan Harmon Developing Comedy for CBS — But There’s a Twist

Mike Mariano (Raising Hope) has been tapped to pen this Brady Bunch revisiting, while Lloyd Schwartz (son of late Brady creator Sherwood Schwartz), Victoria Vaughn (Couples Retreat), Peter Billingsley (Sullivan & Son) and Vaughn himself will executive-produce.

CBS is also likely to bring back the Brady Bunch‘s signature theme music but with a modern-day twist, not unlike the tweaks the network made on their Hawaii Five-0 reboot’s opening song.

Thoughts on the second-coming of The Brady Bunch? Hit the comments?

Comments (67)

• NO. Just no!!

Comment by Christine – July 31, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s going way too far. All this remaking can be fun, but we are getting to the point of crazy.

Comment by Danielle H – August 1, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Bring it back! Lol. Not really, but it’d be cool to see how first episode is.

Comment by Mike – July 31, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike Lookinland

Comment by AW – July 31, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …there was supposed to be a question mark. As in, Mike Lookinland? As in, are they getting the real Bobby Brady?

Comment by AW – July 31, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope so. If they hire a younger actor that is, like, 20 or 30 or something, I’ll be upset. I’d rather have Bobby at the age that he’s supposed to be at with his kids. He should be…what? Late 40′s, early 50′s by now? So if they keep him at this age, and if Mike is willing to play Bobby once more, then I say give it a try. But if they can’t get Mike, then they’re going to be in trouble already because I can just picture them hiring a young, hot actor just for eyecandy.

Comment by Jessica Nightflame Desrocher – July 31, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is a reboot, not a sequel. Reboots generally put the characters back at a younger/young adult age.

Comment by TV Gord – August 1, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least it would be a continuation and not a complete remake. Id tune in if they got original cast members back. (What are they doing anyway?)

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – July 31, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely. If they are going to do a continuation of the Brady Bunch…they need to use the original cast members! With cameos from Bobby’s other siblings and mom!

Comment by Ann – August 1, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is not a continuation. It’s a reboot, with a new cast (as The Brady Bunch Movies were).

Comment by TV Gord – August 1, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it go ugh!

Comment by MAC – July 31, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Mike Lookinland going to play the lead role or no? I don’t see why Florence wouldn’t reprise her role at the very least.

Comment by Mark – July 31, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In The Brady’s The 1990 reboot of The Brady Bunch which was also on CBS, or as it was called by The Brady Bunch cast BradySOMETHING Bobby was paralyzed in a race car accident. Will this be bought up in the new show?

Comment by Ruby – July 31, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally forgot about the Brady 500. i really liked that movie and now i’m kinda sad to know that Bobby and his wife got divorced.

Comment by nyangel22 – July 31, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was called The Bradys, and it was a one-hour drama on Friday nights on CBS. It lasted for the first two-hour episode (aka The Brady 500), and four more episodes. It wasn’t a fan of the original sitcom, but I kind of liked The Bradys.

Comment by TV Gord – August 1, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? Use your imaginations and come up with something original. Geez, enough rebooting old shows.

Comment by Barbara – July 31, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • id love to see a brady bunch continuation. Especially if they brought back the original cast. I used to love that show and drove my mom nuts w the theme song. Id watch it.

Comment by dianne – July 31, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good lord, really? REALLY? What lame lame idea, sigh.

Comment by Moe – July 31, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no one remembers step by step?

Comment by Andrew – July 31, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EXACTLY!!!
      That was a very good show based on the same premise. The show DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BRADY-CENTRIC!!!!! :-( Lame!

Comment by Kvivik – August 1, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my very first thought!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 1, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is exactly what I was going to post. Its been done already with Step by Step. Do they think they need to do something every decade or so.

Comment by MJ – August 1, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d be fine with a recast.

Comment by Rolfe – July 31, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get out!!!

Comment by TrP – July 31, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Florence Henderson said if CBS asks her she would consider coming on the show this is what Florence just said on her twitter page.

Comment by Ruby – July 31, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOO. I grew up watching The Brady Bunch in reruns, I do not want to see this. And I just told my parents, who grew up when it originally aired, they don’t want it either.

Comment by mia – July 31, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s just the gift that keeps on giving, isn’t it?

Comment by BTM – July 31, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring back The Brady Bunch Variety Hour! LOL!

Comment by TV Gord – August 1, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh goodie.

Comment by onemovieeachday – July 31, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give it a try if Vince Vaughn plays the lead role lol. I would love to see him as Bobby Brady.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – July 31, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • didn’t we already have a Brady Bunch redo back in the early 90s. it was called Step by Step, which ironically is a much funnier show than the Brady Bunch ever was. i know it wasn’t a continuation, but the plot to this, other than the fact that Bobby Brady is a protagonist, is very similar to what happened with Frank and Carol on Step by Step right down to them having a kid of their own.

Comment by nyangel22 – July 31, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see Louis CK playing Bobby Brady.

Comment by Eric – July 31, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Ralph – July 31, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike Lookinland is 51.

Comment by Julie – July 31, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I’ve ever received so many mixed signals about a tv series! (nothing against the writer of the article). “Continuation”, to me anyway, means picked up where they left off. But that was thwarted with “a grown and divorced Bobby Brady”, which can hardly be called a continuation. “…has children of his own and is married to a women who has her own brood”. Okay, that’s in keeping with it. But “…The two also have a child together and maintain relationships with their respective exes…”. No, that is not in keeping with it. That’s sooo not The Brady Bunch. Develop a show, make it what you want, but DON’T pretend it’s The Brady Bunch. I was excited (the Schwartz name, the music…) but not about the premise and the misleadings about it. Oh who am I kidding? You had me at “multi-camera comedy project”. I am so tired of the one-camera artsy stuff. I want cheesy. I LONG for 70s and 80s and 90s cheesy. It’s easy to watch and it’s fun. And the multi-camera will be better than ever now. And, whole truth be told, you had me at “New Brady Bunch Series in Development”… I’m in.

Comment by april-ann – July 31, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really. Dallas was a continuation of the previous series and it didn’t pick-up in 1991. Continuation just means it’s continuing the story of the characters and is set in the same universe as the previous series.

Comment by dude – August 1, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, dude. So then, what’s a “reboot”? I recall the new Dallas described as a reboot.

Comment by april-ann – August 1, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Reboot would be as if the original series never happened. FOr the BRady bunch it would Be all the same characters as Kids again.

Comment by JASon – August 1, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bionic Woman a few years ago was a reboot as was Charlie’s Angels last fall. It’s when you take the concept, make a few changes and then get a totally new cast from the original.

Comment by Mary – August 1, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, NO MORE Brady Bunch! Let the show rest in peace.

Comment by arial2 – July 31, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vince Vaughn made me chuckle in Swingers. That was so very long ago. He hasn’t made me chuckle since. Now he’s developing content for networks. How did it come to this? Why do we let this happen? Please terminate this project.

Comment by Jason – July 31, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STUPID IDEA! it wont last a season. they’d be better off upgrading the old episodes to HD and re-running them. Hollywood twits!

Comment by mnT – July 31, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE SILVER PLATTERS! There’s the premise, they go on tour and how they cope with family life on tour. :) You can even include Cousin Oliver! I love the Christmas special and would buy it if they put it on DVD.

Comment by Elle – July 31, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure this is really necissary…

Comment by Gilda – July 31, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Bobby in a wheelchair (from a racecar accident) last time we saw him?

Comment by TrP – August 1, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds more like a remake of Step by Step to me

Comment by Mel – August 1, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People thought bringing Dallas back was a bad idea too.
    They thought that it was doomed to fail…

Comment by Whatever – August 1, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap.

Comment by John – August 1, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is what happens whenever a reboot is brought back well (like Dallas) networks try to bring back anything else they can think of. Some classics can just stay classics.

Comment by dude – August 1, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would totally not watch this new series if it came on.

Comment by Jacqi – August 1, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch the pilot at least. I’m a fan of family comedies, so I would have to check it out.

I watch the reruns of the original series occasionally. I like it. I saw most of the movie they made in the 90s, but it was horrible, mostly because it had nothing to do with the show.

I hope they don’t screw it up. But if it has Raising Hope’s Mike Mariano, I have faith in it.

Comment by nick1372 – August 1, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time in TV and Movies really is cyclical isn’t it… can we please get something new now? How did anyone in the entertainment industry function in the early days when there was nothing to be copied and rebranded. Sigh…

Comment by Jamie – August 1, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t have the talent to come up with good original ideas, I guess there’s no choice but to use another person’s old one.

Comment by Larc – August 1, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bobby was married to Martha Quinn. You expect me to believe they split up?

Comment by AL – August 1, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next thing you know, Nicolette Sheridan will be heading up the new Knots Landing…

Comment by Bradly – August 1, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch that if they got WIlliam Devane and Ted Shackelford back.

Comment by JASon – August 1, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you MUST remake an old show, try “Honey West”. The original was in BW, was a half-hour long and got trounced by Gomer Pyle…but it still had extra life in it. Leave the Bradys alone!!!

Comment by David – August 1, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You gotta be f***in kidding me!? Is Hollywood really so lazy that the best “original” ideas they can come up with are other people’s old ones? Or did something suck the creative out of it. Come on people, viewers aren’t stupid, we want something INTERESTING, CREATIVE AND ORIGINAL. NBC screwed it up when they cancelled Awake so they could produce endless mindless hours of “reality” crap. CBS, please don’t do the same. Reboot must be new code word for “unoriginal and lazy”.

Comment by Jennifer – August 5, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t seem to know how the TV business works. Awake was canceled because it had low ratings and NBC was losing money on it. Not because it was an original idea. Also, some of that “reality cr*p” was canceled too. TV stations want shows that people will get money for them. Period.

Comment by nick1372 – August 7, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry I meant “that will get money” not “that people will get money”

Comment by nick1372 – August 7, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea!!! What a FANTASTIC idea! Keep it true…make it fresh…I’ll watch.

Comment by brenda – August 17, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid. Just get Peter Brady-Christopher Knight (who’s already been on reality tv airwaves alot the last 7 years) Give his character 3 sons and he’s broke so he moves back into the house with Florence Henderson (carol)…and new maid named Alice by co-inidence. He meets a yoga instructor with 3 daughters. Done and done…simple, fun…there will be enough zany stories just from modern day things like cell phones.

Comment by Ryan Tower – August 22, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait its going to be a sunshine day

Comment by Dave brisson – August 28, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kids…. Marriage … Divorce WTF this aint the Brady Bunch, the Brady Bunch is Alice, Carol Mike, all under one roof this will fail no one is interested they need a TV show like first of the 90′s Movies lol Hip and Cool And the Ditmires lol

Comment by Jonathan Morgandorfor – September 2, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic goods from you, man. I have consider your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve bought here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way during which you say it. You are making it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to learn much more from you. That is really a tremendous website.

Comment by دليل المواقع – September 16, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I’M GONNA KEEP ON…KEEP ON…KEEP ON…KEEP ON DANCIN’ ON THRU THE NIGHT

I’M GONNA KEEP ON…KEEP ON…KEEP ON DOIN’ IT RIIIIIGHT….”

- another Robert (Mc….hi lan)

Comment by Robert Mc – October 18, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post