Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Parenthood Recruits from Friday Night Lights Again, Casts Matt Lauria as [Spoiler]

Clear eyes, full hearts, Parenthood simply can’t lose when casting Friday Night Lights alumni.

Former FNL boss and current Parenthood showrunner Jason Katims has recruited Dillon grad Matt Lauria to join the NBC drama in a major recurring role for Season 4, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Parenthood Spoiler — Which Couple is Breaking Up?

Lauria, whose post-FNL roles have included Fox’s cop drama Chicago Code and an arc on CSI, will play a returning soldier from Afghanistan who bonds with fellow war vet Zeek (Craig T. Nelson). Coincidentally, Lauria’s FNL character, Luke, enlisted in the army in the show’s series finale.

This brings to six the number of FNL actors Katims has brought on to Parenthood. In addition to Lauria, Minka Kelly, Michael B. Jordan, Derek Phillips, Angela Rawna and Jeff Rosick have also appeared on the show.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Parenthood‘s Adoption Bombshell

Parenthood kicks off its fourth season on Sept. 11.

Comments (41)

• Wasn’t Angela Rawna on an episode or maybe two of Parenthood as well?

Comment by Nicole – July 31, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes indeed, she was on one episode !

Comment by Soso – July 31, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Minka Kelly please come back. It’s not like she’s doing anything else

Comment by Mike D – July 31, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not like she can really act, at all.

Comment by Kiki – July 31, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • random.. his character on the finale of FNL enlisted in the army.

Comment by rebecca – July 31, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was first thing I thought of haha

Comment by Nicole – July 31, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else wanna see Minka Kelly again?

Comment by Mike D – July 31, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely!

Comment by Katie – July 31, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i wouldn’t mind, as long as she stays away from Crosby & Jasmine.

Comment by rebecca – July 31, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please. (Jason Katims is that you?)

Comment by Dick Whitman – July 31, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also want her back. She was great with Max. He hasn’t exactly gotten better since she left.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – July 31, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Time to see Max fly on his own. The public school inclusion issues will be story lines for him. He’s so good at it. Hope the whole family gets Emmy noms.

Comment by Carol – August 1, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me incredibly happy.

Comment by CJ – July 31, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo excited! Love all the FNL alumni appearances. I, for one, do hope he ends up a love interest for Haddie or Amber.

Comment by soarin829 – July 31, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s actually at least the 6th FNL alum to appear on Parenthood. Derek Phillips (Billy Riggins) was Crosby’s best man in the finale last season.

Comment by Hillary – July 31, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amended. Thanks!

Comment by Vlada Gelman – July 31, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes, yes, and more yes. Romantic interest for Amber?

Comment by Brandon Kesler – July 31, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He graduated from East Dillon, not Dillon. ;)

Comment by Christine Wise – July 31, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm… have we forgotten that Parenthood’s ‘Joel’ played the Under Armor rep in a scene with Coach Taylor?

Comment by AussieJulie – July 31, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I’ve been rewatching FNL, and I was so happy when I saw that. That scene was so well done, too. Powerful acting from both of them in just a couple minute scene.

Comment by Sarah – August 1, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This goes to show you they cancelled FNL way too soon. We all love their characters. I love Parenthood too, but FNL was A+

Comment by Rhonda – July 31, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he also played a vet in Burn Notice. Is it the jaw? I’ve liked this kid ever since the scene with Connie Britton when he tearfully apologized to Mrs. Coach for lying about his address

Comment by Mína – July 31, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ Yes! That scene won me over too!

Comment by Shan – July 31, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was a pretty good douchy stock broker in Person of Interest, also.

Comment by Sg.Grant – July 31, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that scene. It does an excellent job of shifting perspectives because at first, you hate the kid for being on the evil East Dillon team, but you can’t help but feel bad for him after he talks to Tami.

Comment by Julie – October 3, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sexy!!

Comment by Shekkss – July 31, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should play Brian Lochte in the bio pic.

Comment by CJ – July 31, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha totally see the resemblance.

Comment by Alexis – August 1, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He even looks like Ryan Lochte

Comment by Amy – August 1, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I love Katims. Glad that I can miss my dearly departed favorite show less when I watch my current favorite show. I would be thrilled if he came on as a love interest for one of the girls.

Comment by Lauren – July 31, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Back Bob Little! It was so refreshing to see Amber finally have something go her way.

Comment by Craig S. – July 31, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I’m with you. I loved the Bob/Amber thing.

Comment by soarin829 – August 1, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!! Loved Luke Cafferty. He’s so frickin hot. Can we get Riggins and Street on too?

Comment by Christian – July 31, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, cus Street has a lead role on Hart of Dixie. I would love to see Riggins and my favorite- Matt though, although I know he is on that new Mob Doctors show so he is probably too busy also.

Comment by Caseylynn0218 – August 1, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll be the best looking guy on that show, that’s for sure!

Comment by Emma – July 31, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FNL lives on through Parenthood! Fantastic news. Love both shows. Thank you Jason Katims. Looking forward to more great story-telling this season….

Comment by kiks – July 31, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I love it. Miss FNL so having some of the actors appear on another show I love is fantastic. Long live Parenthood!

Comment by Amanda – August 1, 2012 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Landry? We love Landry.

Comment by Mary – August 3, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (I know this isn’t Landry – we just miss him!)

Comment by Mary – August 3, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But you can check out Jesse (Landry) on Breaking Bad…

Comment by John Halloran – August 4, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and so does my husband. The cast is fabulous. I agree tht FNL was over too soon. Another great cast.

Comment by Mary Kro – November 1, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post