Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

This year’s Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy race is full of men of many talents: Three of the six contenders could take home multiple accolades at this year’s ceremony, and the other half of the field is composed of repeat nominees.

In addition to being recognized for playing himself on HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, Michael J. Fox nabbed an Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series nod for his turn as The Good Wife’s Louis. Jon Hamm, whose work on 30 Rock netted him guest actor nominations in 2009 and 2010, earned a third for his part in the sitcom’s live episode earlier this year; the Mad Men star is also in this year’s Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama pool. And though a Saturday Night Live hosting stint garnered Jimmy Fallon his only personal nomination, Late Night With Jimmy Fallon is in the running for 2012’s Outstanding Variety Series.

The remaining three competitors include Modern Family visitor Greg Kinnear, who was nominated last year for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for The Kennedys; Will Arnett, whose longstanding 30 Rock guest gig nabbed him noms in 2008, 2010 and 2011; and Nurse Jackie’s Bobby Cannavale, who won the statuette in 2005 for his part on Will & Grace.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine men when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

Comments (35)

• I still can’t believe that Paul Rudd wasn’t nominated for Parks and Recreation. He was better than all these nominees IMO. But out of these, I’d go with Michael J. Fox.

Comment by Dr. Bombay – July 31, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea Paul Rudd! Oh wait… Every single show that wins a comedy Emmy for acting this year (except for lead female) should know that they weren’t competing against the best because Parks & Rec’s cast was snubbed. Suck on that Modern Family.

Comment by Ari – July 31, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paul Rudd was so fantastic in the role. He fit in perfectly with the cast and totally nailed the role of a guy who’s too stupid to hate. I really thought he was a gimme for a nomination but the Emmy voters absolutely sucked this year.

Comment by Laura E. – July 31, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tell me about it. Kathryn Hahn and Paul Rudd should have WON the guest star in a comedy categories. Can’t believe they weren’t even nominated. Ridiculous. Parks and Rec was ROBBED this year, it was the best comedy on tv this year in my opinon. I’m crossing my fingers for an Amy Poehler win!!!!

Comment by Lauren – August 1, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. Paul Rudd was *brilliant* on P&R this season!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 1, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was John Hamm even on 30 Rock this year?

Comment by onemovieeachday – July 31, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was in the live episode, in the “Amos and Andy”-type skit with Tracy Morgan.

Comment by elf – July 31, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And he killed in that skit. Banjo!

Comment by thiagofls – July 31, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That appearance was no where near being worthy of a nomination. May have been funny or entertaining but not award worthy.

Comment by tripoli – July 31, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This would be my point.

Comment by onemovieeachday – July 31, 2012 02:44 PM PDT
    • Ummm dude went on live TV in black face with Tracy Morgan as his straight man. And NAILED IT. If that’s not worthy of an Emmy, I don’t even know what we’re doing here.

Comment by grace2552 – July 31, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bobby Cannavale totally deserves this. His scenes with Edie Falco were the reason that this was Nurse Jackie’s best season. He probably won’t win because his role was too dramatic though. It’ll probably go to Jimmy Fallon because…he can read lines off a prompter. There’s some justice for ya.

Comment by TJ – July 31, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Bobby Cannavale on Nurse Jackie this year, but he submitted one of the episodes from early in the season, which I think was a terrible mistake and will hurt his chances of getting votes. He should have submitted one of the last few episodes when his character went bat crap crazy. They were much a much better showcase for his talents.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 31, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? That’s unfortunate. Ah, well! There’s always next season. Do you know exactly which episode it was? Where did you find what episodes people are submitting?

Comment by TJ – July 31, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. I thought Bobby Cannavale was excellent on Nurse Jackie! His son was great too.

Comment by Eliza – July 31, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It should be Matt Bomer for Glee. His episode was the only bright spot in an otherwise dull season.

Comment by Andrea – July 31, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!! He should be nominated and ten Win!!!! He Was hilarious as much as patrick neil harris when he was on glee too!!!

Comment by Maru – July 31, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Best episode of the season. I refuse to delete it from my DVR. I saw 3 of the 6 performances nominated & I don’t think they beat Matt on Glee.

Comment by Deena – July 31, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael J. Fox wins automatically because he is God!

Comment by Michael – July 31, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the absence of Paul Rudd: Jon Hamm for merely being Jon Hamm

Comment by Daniel – July 31, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’ll be happy with anyone of these winning, though I’m itching a bit more for Fallon :)

Comment by Karen – July 31, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted Matt Bomer for Glee to be nominated!! He was great…but I went with Jimmy Fallon.

Comment by Sarah – July 31, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m done with ‘Modern Family’ since they want to act like little children because their paychecks don’t have enough zero’s on it. They finally reached an agreement so good for them and a nice example they set for the actual children on the show. But they definitely lost me as fan.

Comment by Dan – July 31, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you’re done with it because they did what just about every other actor on a hit show has done? Makes sense.

Comment by Hugh – July 31, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The hell? How does this bother you? It’s not like it impacted the show.

Also, this is entirely common when a show becomes a big hit like this.

Comment by onemovieeachday – July 31, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I understand your anger at the Modern Family cast I’m just confused as to why you felt it was necessary to post it in this thread.

Comment by Mary – July 31, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Dan – I can understand your anger, but you should know that it partly comes because the way in which the industry works is very different from the way we work in the real world. If we did that, we would get fired, or laughed out of the building. It feels arrogant and self-entitled. The reality is, though, that within the industry its normal and expected; its the way things are done. It won’t have offended anyone on the other side of the table – because everyone knows the score. I’m sure that even if I was one of the actors involved, I would feel uncomfortable with the manner in which these kind of negotiations take place, too.

Comment by ben – July 31, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Bomer!!! So what if he isn’t nominated,,,he should have been!!!

Comment by Suz – July 31, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man these categories are getting worse with each one tvline puts up. just give it to michael j fox since he is michael j fox

Comment by Alan – July 31, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know who I voted for. You know. Banjo!!!! I don’t care if it was only a couple minutes worth of acting, that is the funniest thing I’ve seen on that show in years. It showed Jon Hamm has some real range beyond just dramatic acting, and he can do a bit of physical comedy as well, and it also showed that he can be a little fearless and hold nothing back when on stage. I think he has a shot at winning too. I know his odds aren’t great, but it was really a to-die-for funny appearance. Also, I suspect he may get a few votes from those Emmy voters who are going to feel bad they’re not voting for him as best drama actor. It will probably still be Michael J. Fox that wins though unless everyone is voting for him as guest actor on a drama and don’t want to vote for him twice. I could see that happening. Voters have weird ways of thinking. I could be pretty happy with Jimmy Fallon winning too. That Beethoven sketch was the most memorable thing I have seen on that show in a long time.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 31, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of the shows that were nominated I only watch Modern Family and I thought GK was hillarious. But Jimmy Fallon and Michael J. Fox evethough I didn’t see their episodes are certainly worthy of an emmy just because they are so wonderful.

Comment by Mary – July 31, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greg Kinnear is constantly underrated and I’m so sick of it! This poll even backs me up on it…he’s 5th right now. Greg Kinnear was far better than at least half the people on this list!

Comment by Eric – July 31, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post