Scoop: Community's Dan Harmon Developing Comedy for CBS — But There's a Twist

For a dude without a job former Community boss Dan Harmon is one very busy Human Being.

The scribe, who as previously reported is nearing a deal to develop a comedy project for Fox, has just inked a blind script pact with CBS for a new half-hour series, TVLine has learned.

The twist? Harmon is venturing outside his wheelhouse and trying his hand at a traditional multi-cam comedy. (His potential Fox show may or may not be multi-cam too.)

Harmon, who was ousted as Community showrunner earlier this summer, also has an animated pilot called Rick & Morty in the hopper for Adult Swim.

1. As much as people bitch about NBC, at least they were willing to give a show like Community a shot, clearly Harmon’s decided that if he’s going to get a show on anywhere else on broadcast TV he’ll have to go more “mainstream.”

• Chiana says:

Knowing Dan’s work, I’m sure he’ll manage to subvert the genre somehow. I’m hoping that he gets an ironclad contract this time, whereby he’ll get big bucks if they try to wrest creative control away from him this time. Serve NBC right if his new shows own their time slots. Go Dan!

• That’d be great. But let’s be reasonable in our hopes here. Almost no TV writer gets an ironclad contract. A writer with something of a reputation of being difficult to work with coming off being fired from his acclaimed but lowly-rated series, is lucky to be getting another shot at all.

I think a more realistic hope is that his new idea gets picked up and that he’s still able to channel that same brilliance to this format.

2. Christie says:

He should be trying to make a deal with a cable network. I think it would be a better fit for him

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

Dan, Dan, Dan…I know you are depressed about your breakup with Sony, but multi-cam and CBS are pretty gross skanks to have a rebound fling with. Wait for the right girl, Dan. She is out there.
    Good luck with the new projects, guy. I wish you all the best in your new ventures and I will support watching your new shows even if i have to switch over to CBS to do it.

4. Leah says:

He has said before that he wanted to try and see if it was possible to make a multi-cam show that was high quality. I think the man has a thing for trying nonsense that everyone thinks is impossible just to prove them wrong. I’ll be watching whatever he does.

5. Evelyn says:

Community is the only thing I know from him but I will check out his new shows to see if he has the talent to be great at whatever he does (Whedon <3) or if Community is the limit to his abilities.

• Chris says:

He did The Sarah Silverman Programme… It wasn’t very good tbh. It had a few funny moments, the story lines were crazy, but idk all in all it’s not that good of a show… Whedon is just great though :)

• Chiana says:

They are my two favourite creators/showrunners. Give Dan time, I think he’ll grow to have Joss cult following and reputation over time! One is a drama god, and the other is an emerging comic god. Love them both!

• I think their personality helps a lot in writer/producers developing cult followings. Whedon has always been warm, funny, down-to-earth. All of the actors he’s worked with have had nothing but praise for him, he engages with his fans, he’s willing to admit his mistakes and he treats everybody with respect.

Harmon, despite a few good seasons of Community, does not have such a reputation, and his very public conflict with Chevy Chase seems very much to point the other way for him. It all goes to show that the people who create the things we love don’t necessarily have to be people we’d ever want to be in the same room with.