Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment from London 2012, Day 3?

Kohei UchimuraU.S. swimming sensation Ryan Lochte may have dominated the early headlines, but on Day 3 of the 2012 London Summer Games all eyes were on the O2 Arena and NBC’s prime time coverage of the men’s team gymnastics final, and the prospect of the fierce, fresh-faced American heartthrobs going for the gold.

Alas, the Wheaties box will have to wait. Because the moment of Day 3 didn’t involve American’s Dannel Leyva, John Orozco and company at all – they stumbled badly to finish a distant fifth – but a dramatic, last-gasp appeal from Japan that ultimately snatched the silver away from a stunned British team (and an equally gobsmacked hometown crowd, including Princes William and Harry), who were bumped to the bronze.

Here’s how in went down. After the very last routine of the night — featuring Japanese star Kohei Uchimura’s unusually wobbly dismount on pommel horse — British fans erupted into cheers and celebrations as it appeared their lads had grabbed a historic silver medal. But Japan issued a “formal inquiry” into Uchimura’s score — and bedlam ensued. For what seemed like hours, all eyes were riveted to the giant screen, waiting for the judges to review (and possibly update) their score.

After a 5-minute deliberation, officials increased Uchimura’s score by 0.7, not only dousing Britain’s hopes of a historic silver, but also demoting the Ukraine — who had also already started celebrating the prospect of landing a team medal – off the podium altogether, to fourth place. Amidst all the confusion and heartbreak and tears, I almost forgot that China had already predictably waltzed to the gold medal!

What was your favorite moment of Day Two? Was it French swimmer Yannick Agnel’s second consecutive, ego-crushing defeat of Lochte, this time to win gold in the 200 meter freestyle? Or 17-year-old American Missy Franklin’s first career gold in the 100-meter backstroke? Leave your comments! –Mitch Rustad

TAGS:
GET MORE: Recaps, Sports

1. uh huh says:

I liked the excitiment of the British gymnasts (and William and Harry!) when they realized they’d won a medal.

2. Elle says:

Missy Franklin and Great Britian medaling

3. flutiefan says:

not the U.S. men faltering, that’s for sure :(
    i’ve been watching these boys for years (and i’m from where Mikulak lives and i now live where Orozco is from), and i am heartbroken for them.

4. Babybop says:

Love seeing Missy Franklin win. Sad for Lochte. He sounded so heartbroken when they interviewed him.

• Jess says:

I’m not happy with how they are handling the interviews. “How are you feeling right now?” “Umm, like I want to punch you in the face, please.” I mean, give them some room to re-focus on the next race, you can do your interview later! Also, the whole raisman/wieber interview was just distasteful.

5. Lillian says:

I love how excited Missy Franklin’s parents were – way up in the nosebleed seats.

6. Chris says:

The Men’s Synchro Diving bronze medal. So sad for U.S. Men’s gymnastics team. So much potential.

7. Lola says:

It’s so hard to pick. It was definitely either seeing the approximately 10 gymnastics routines they elected to show out of a possible 144 routines of the night, or when they spoiled their own broadcast by showing a Today show commercial saying that Missy Franklin won the gold about ten minutes before they showed the race where she won the gold. They couldn’t even bother to show that the US men rocked high bar and parallel bars in the last 2 rotations.

• Amy says:

Yep, I saw that. Come on, NBC. I can’t believe they spoiled Missy Franklin’s gold. But honestly, by the end of gymnastics I was glad to not see the US team anymore. I LOVED watching the British. They were so excited.

• Jess says:

lol, yep, I already knew the results but when the commercial aired, I was like “is that coming up next?”

• NBC BBC or any of the other networks have no say over what is being aired, we are all airing the same footage that is being sent to all networks via a live stream from one of the many production companies in charge of the filming, different production companies from all over the world are in charge of different sports, so a Japanese production company are filming the gymnastics! I’m British so the BBC kept apologising to us that we weren’t not watching all the GB performances.

8. Jill says:

Missy Franklin, the GB team medaling & Misty May & Kerri Walsh dominating

9. Maggie says:

Missy franklin winning, and the boys going 1-2 in the 100 back so happy for them!!

10. Elena says:

Missy Franklin winning her first olympic gold was a lovely moment, as was the shot of her proud parents up in the stands. She is such a great girl and she deserves all of the success she is achieving. I also really loved Grevers and Thoman going 1 and 2 in the 100 back and their little celebration in the pool afterwards:) That was a really great moment between the two of them and for the U.S. swim team.
    I was so sad about the guys faltering today in team gymnastics, but most disappointed by the fact that our TWO BEST gymnasts were the ones that cost the U.S. a medal with their terrible routines on pommel horse:( I hope they can come back strong in the all-around because today was a really really rough one. I’m holding out hope that the girls will come out strong tomorrow though, and take the gold!

11. Polly says:

Nbc spoiling franklin’s victory before airing her race.

12. Stephanie says:

I enjoyed the swimming tonight and the synchro diving and wished to have seen all the rotations of our men’s gymnastic team. My biggest complaint in not seeing more medal ceremonies. Tonight we saw one of our swimmers get the gold. There were other gold and silver medals for US swimmers and a bronze for the divers. 4 years ago we saw a lot o medal ceremonies.

• Ella says:

I thought I was the only one who felt that way!! I was waiting for the medal ceremony of the men’s backstroke in particular….you would think that after the US went 1-2, we would see that. But nope.

• goofy says:

It’s the same on BBC. No medal ceremonies being shown! What is that all about? Absolute disgrace as previous olympics have shown the ceremonies in full. I have tried complaining to BBC but it’s like hitting your head against a brick wall.

13. jean says:

sorry, but haven’t you seen fencing?!

14. Janey says:

My fave moment (other than the bronze for GB in gymnastics) was Ruta Meilutyte winning gold in the 100m breaststroke. She’s only 15, and she had a fab swim. The look on her face when she realised she had won was adorable. So pleased for her.

Worst moment – some idiot on Twitter telling diver Tom Daley he had let his father down by finishing fourth.

• Jess says:

are you serious about the twit? omg! I’m not Tom Daley’s biggest fan, but that person deserves a swift kick in the nuts!

15. Loved seeing William and Harry at the Gymnastics to watch the history that was made by the Great Britain team. Congrats to those men.
    Yes it sucked regarding the USA men but I’ve always said (and this goes for Ryan Lochte as well), if you want to talk a big game, you better be able to back it up. I’ve met John Orozco and my heart breaks.
    Loved watching Missy Franklin’s gold medal race just minutes after the semi and Matt Grievers winning as well.

16. Dee says:

NBC coverage is such a joke. After hyping the men’s gymnastics for weeks, it seemed, they only show 3 or was it 4 routines by the Americans? Once they saw that it would be difficult for them to medal, it was as if they didn’t exist.

They didn’t mention them or show them again, the ENTIRE night!!

Why didn’t they show the Japanese men messing up on the Pommel horse? That was the reason they dropped from 2nd to 4th to begin with.

• The rule in team finals is 3 gymnasts up all three scores count. You will only see three gymnasts per country. They did this in Sydney, if the US isn’t the story, they’re going to cover other countries. They did a great job covering Great Britain, who won a medal for the first time EVER! That is an amazing feat.

17. S. from A. says:

definitely ruta meilutyte winning gold for 100m breast stroke x) it is always so wonderful seeing such young people winning a medal x)

and after reading all the horror stories about the nbc coverage i am even more happy to live in austria and to be able to choose between orf, orf sport plus, zdf/ard and eurosport, who are all covering the olympics the whole day! and apart from eurosport all those channels don’t even have ads. so we basically miss nothing!

18. Michael C. says:

I guess I am in the clear minority here. Everyone seems to only want to see coverage where the U.S. wins, and beats up everyone else. What happened to the OLYMPICS, where you saw the best of the best, whatever country? And medal ceremonies? We only see the ones where the U.S. wins gold. It’s so typical–if we aren’t the best, it doesn’t count. Even the commentary when the men’s gymnastics team, so cocky after prelims, blew it when it counted, or Ryan Lochte’s choke job in the men’s 400m relay, was completely muted. Heaven forbid we call out the precious Americans. It’s a disgrace. No wonder so much of the world hates us.

• Gretchen says:

What made me ill was the whinefest of Bela Karolyi after his darling Jordyn didn’t make it to the all around. He put down the other athletes, and in a way, he put down the other two Americans who will be competing in the all around. I have zero empathy for Jordyn and her handlers, they all come across as entitled because she’s the current world champion. That was then, Jordyn. Live in the now!

Also, Gabby has bested Jordyn three times now–once earlier this year, when Gabby was an exhibition gymnast when Jordyn was competing, yet would have won, second at the Olympic Trials a month ago and now at the preliminaries. Seems to me that perhaps Gabby’s just the better gymnast.

• As a long time gymnastics fan, Gabby just came on the scene within the last year, and because she can swing a gnarly bars. Did she beat Jordyn three times? Legitimately, twice. The only reason Gabby was at the American Cup was a stipulation in the rules that allowed the Americans to have one exhibition gymnast.
        I give coach Liang Chow a tremendous amount of credit because he helped get her head on straight. Had he not, Gabby would be like McKayla Maroney, a one event gymnast.
        The problem with the rule is that you are saying that the 24 best gymnasts are allowed to compete in the all-around finals, the event that you dream about as a kid, but technically you are not. That is where I have a problem.
        If Gabby were the better gymnast, she would’ve won the national title and that is when you are considered the best from the US walking into an Olympics.

• Melis says:

I agree about the disappointment over the VERY edited coverage. Of course for the primetime “show” they are going to show us bits, but if you are going to tout showing the most popular events and being the ONLY television showing of it…then hardly show the performances just because the United States isn’t #1. I was waiting for the medal ceremony for the Men’s Gymnastics all around and they never showed it, did they? Bronze isn’t too shabby. Plus for an event like that, sometimes you just want to see the competition and the skills other countries may have. They never did show any rings either, why was that?

Eitherway — Yes I’m interested in the athletics from the United States, but I’m also interested in the full competition, which is what we aren’t getting.

19. Erika says:

Definitely Ruta’s victory. Only 15 years old and already has gold at Olympics!

20. Jared says:

The Men’s gymnastics team really dropped the ball last night..as someone who has been following them since the Olympic trials..last night was the worst I’ve ever seen them compete.

Hopefully Gabby Douglas and the woman’s team can reverse this bad luck so far.

21. E says:

I have a question. First, I admit that I was kind of multi-tasking while watching the (long) night of primetime TV, but during the Men’s gymnastics, did they ever show “standings” after rotation x or y? I hope I just missed it, but it seemed like there weren’t many updates to the overall standings among teams. Did I just miss it?

22. Emily says:

Missy Franklin!!!!!!

23. plalchergon says:

old west photos joes jeans honey sony rdr vx530 rey mesterio penknife sayings of jesus print master 12 home projects [url=http://www.ifso2013.com/saleforjp.html]銉溿儍銉嗐偓銉淬偋銉嶃偪 銉愩儍銈癧/url] unlocked cell carb blockers obidos nintendo ds sudoku roland e 80 seymour duncan jb wild animal baby magazine birthday electronic cards deciding on divorce cell phone refurbished [url=http://www.ifso2013.com/saleforjp.html]銉溿儍銉嗐偓銉淬偋銉嶃偪 銈偊銉堛儸銉冦儓[/url] organic cotton clothing coleman patio fireplace undercounter ice makers clavos screen door magnets online buying and selling red octane ignition ann sieg microwaves countertop beaded lanyards [url=http://www.iacindustries.com/saleforjp.html]銉溿儍銉嗐偓銉淬偋銉嶃偪 銉栥儹銉笺儊[/url] telephone tape recorder lcd screen protector ruthann aron oxford 911 bridge alpine mrp m650 parathyroid surgery wireless card for pda olympus c 220z