Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

Last year, guest-heavy Glee took up a full half of the slots in the Emmy competition for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy. The 2012 race is much more open, with only Dot-Marie Jones representing the Fox musical dramedy – and she’s joined by two stellar Saturday Night Live guest hosts, two visitors to 30 Rock and a gender-bending Two and a Half Men stunt cast.

Jones and 30 Rock’s Elizabeth Banks are both back for their second consecutive nods in the category, while Maya Rudolph’s Saturday Night Live homecoming and Margaret Cho’s 30 Rock turn as North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il earned each actress her first Emmy nomination. McCarthy’s nom for hosting SNL is paired with one for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy (CBS’ Mike & Molly, a role that nabbed her the statuette last year). And Kathy Bates is doing double duty this year, as well; in addition to being recognized for playing Two and a Half Men’s reincarnated Charlie, she’s up for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama for NBC’s recently cancelled Harry’s Law.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine ladies when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Soso says:

Either Melissa McCarthy or Maya Rudolph would be just fine !!!

2. MichaelS says:

Dot Marie deserves the win. Still bummed they didn’t nominate the amazing Mary Steenburgen. Lots of good candidates though.

• unicornwasp says:

now that you mention it, why the hell ISN’T mary steenburgen nominated? she was great on 30 rock this season.

• Smigglesby says:

because morons nominated Dot Marie Jones for her DRAMATIC work on a non-comedy comedy. Seriously her domestic abuse storyline was so bad

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I agree. Ryan Murphy has a talent for taking the most serious of issues and making them unbelievable, insincere, and laughably horrible. I’d love to say he’s trying to be kitschy, but I don’t think he is. I think he really takes himself that seriously as some kind of savior who’s getting out good messages about teen suicide, domestic abuse, texting during driving, teenage drinking, the impoverished, the homeless, bullying, teen pregnancy, equality, why it’s bad to have sex, why it’s bad to be a prude…oh gosh, I could go on. I laugh my way through every one of these storylines. Subtlety and a slow build is not in his repertoire. It’s hit-you-in the face social issues! Blaine and Kurt are so going to try and adopt a baby next season. Hey, if Rachel and Finn could plan a senior year of high school marriage ceremony, then why not! Shame on the Emmy voters for enabling him by giving his show any kind of nomination.

• Kelsey says:

I think Dot-Marie Jones totally deserves it! She is an amazing actress and Glee is a musical/comedy series actually…

• Because she wasn’t on the pile of ballots they sent out with “30 Rock” already printed in on one of the nominee lines because they were all printed 6 years ago.

3. JASon says:

If melissa McCarthy wins that would really get me out of a couple jams!!!

4. Esaul says:

I don’t normally take interest in the Emmy’s since Thomas Gibson was snubbed a few years back. But Dot-Marie Jones deserves this.

5. topsyturvy says:

Sorry but the Beast spouse abuse arc on GLEE was heavy on Le “DRAMA.” Banks FTW.

• You know that the award is for “Outstanding Guest Actress In A
      Comedy Series” not for “Funniest” or even “Best Comedic performance” right? That’s an important distinction.

6. Tricia says:

Dot-Marie certainly gave a strong performance on Glee this past year, but there was nothing COMEDIC about it. Maya gets my vote.

• dude says:

There doesn’t have to be. It’s “BEST performance in a Comedy” not “Funniest performance in a comedy” It’s not like the academy is saying ‘yeah, that spousal abuse storyline was great but would it have killed her to crack a few jokes now an again?”

7. Linda says:

Kathryn Hahn on Parks and Rec was SNUBBED! Though Maya and Melissa did really great jobs hosting SNL.

8. JASon says:

The girl who played Nadia the Russian model on New Girl deserved a nomination.

9. Sam says:

Did the committee even watch TV this year?! These are horrible choices. Where’s Kathryn Hahn from Parks and Rec? She’s better than anyone on this list by a mile.

10. RS says:

Margaret Cho’s take on Kim Jong-Il was hysterical. But at the very least, let’s not validate the mess that was Glee’s domestic abuse storyline.

11. Larry G says:

Guest hosts of SNL vs sitcom guest stars makes no sense

• dude says:

Agreed. SNL guests have much more opportunities to shine while sitcom guest stars are likely only in a fraction of the episode. My vote goes to Dot Marie Jones or Melissa McCarthy. Both are very deserving.

12. Deena says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dot-Marie Jones but unfortunately she did not do much comedy (with most of Glee this season) yet Glee is still stuck in the comedy category. I know a lot of people soured on Two and a Half Men but if you Kathy Bates she was absolutely hysterical as “Charlie Harper.” She almost played the part better than Charlie Sheen. I would give it to her in a heartbeat.

13. Alan says:

well there’s a poll i just dont want to vote on, that is one hell of a terrible list

14. courtland says:

out of these choices….maya rudolph….melissa mccartheys snl ep was one of the least interesting ones….and dot marie jones was good but i dont want the win because they completely butchered her character……maya rudolphs snl ep was at times a mess but all funny….margaret cho and elisabeth banks were amazing as well….melissa mccarthey and dot marie jones should be dropped….kathryn hahn on parks & rec, and rebecca reid for nadia in new girl deserve their spots…

• tripoli says:

Nadia from New Girl? You must be joking!

• courtland says:

The show is rather meh / kinda overrated over all but Rebecca reid was amazing in the such a small role she had.. better than dot marie jones in the “comedy” glee….Nadia was the best character on the show for the few scenes she was in.

15. Jake says:

If dot Marie doesn’t take this, there is really something wrong. She took what could easily have been a throwaway role and made it so much more.

16. Barbara says:

DOT ALL THE WAY!!!!!

17. Thari says:

I thought Pamela Adlon was great on Louie, as was Kathryn Hahn on Parks & Recs. Out of these nominees I pick Dot, she was one of the few highlights this year on Glee

18. Ethel says:

Dot Marie deserves the Emmy although I have no idea what was comedic about her performance as a victim of domestic violence. I know she did other things on the show but this is what stood out

19. Stephanie says:

I really want Dot to take this one, she is phenomenal as Coach Beiste

20. shir says:

god please dont let it be glee! Dot Marie was fine but we cannot encourage this behaviour of bad storytelling!

• Spookyteddy says:

I totally agree with you Shir, the writers of Glee don’t deserve awards which is a real shame for the cast that worked so hard

21. mia says:

While Glee isn’t a comedy, Dot-Marie deserves this and I hope she wins. She’s done some wonderful work and it would be a win for all us regular women.

22. Tom says:

I don’t watch Two and a Half Men but I did watch the episode and I thought that Kathy Bates was remarkable. She became Charlie Harper in all his essence. And I feel like it takes someone special like Kathy Bates to pull that off. Also Harry’s Law was cancelled and that’s a travesty.

23. Jinjeon says:

Megan Mullally for “Happy Endings”. Oh, wait… she wasn’t even nominated. Then I don’t know. Dot Marie Jones maybe?

24. CAM says:

Often comedies have dramatic storylines. The award isn’t being given purely for a comedic performance, it is for an actor/actress in a show that has been categorized as a comedy. For some reason it has been decided that Glee falls under the Comdey category. Dot Marie Jones was fantastic in the storyline and deserves the nomination. I would love for her to receive the Emmy. Rag on Ryan Murphy and the writers as much as you want, but there’s no need to take away from Dot Marie Jones’ performance.

• songbyrd86 says:

I agree! Dot Marie Jones is winning the poll by FAR so obviously I’m not the only one that feels this way. I hope she gets it – her performance in that arc was absolutely superb because you could hate glee all you want, but she took a background character and made the audience feel for that character. Her performance was very moving and I said it right then that she should be nominated for an Emmy for that – I’m glad others feel the same way.

BTW, to all those above who has said that glee isn’t a comedy, what category would you put it in? Drama? Most certainly not. Reality TV? No. It’s a musical comedy show whether it suits your sense of humor or not. Just because you may not think it’s funny – doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be in the comedy category.

25. Matt says:

Why is Margaret Cho even here??? She was barely in her episode and was a waste of a nomination! Kathryn Hahn and Mary Steenburgen would’ve been better nominees than her!

26. L says:

Maya Rudolph!!!
    I didn’t even like Melissa McCarthy’s episode that much. I thought it was fine, but I wouldn’t give her an emmy for it!!