Bad Boy Quarterfinals End With Justified's Raylan Givens Vs. Vampire Diaries' Damon Salvatore!

We’ve reached the last Quarterfinal matchup of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament – and it promises to be another doozy.

Yes indeed, brace yourselves for a devastating dustup between Raylan Givens of Justified and Damon Salvatore of The Vampire Diaries.

Every day for the next week, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, and those we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (68)

• Oh my God. How. Do. I. Do. This? I hurt.

Comment by jen – July 29, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No contest here. Rutland is not so much a bad boy as a bit of a rebel. Damon all the way

Comment by Maro – July 29, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raylan. Though if Damon wins, he’d have a better chance to beat Chuck, and that’s all I want.

Comment by Sally – July 29, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hah! I like a girl that wants to beat Chuck Bass lol

Comment by Patrick Maloney – July 29, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the round in which everyone I want to win loses as the people I think of as the best ‘bad boys’ give way to fandoms.

Comment by ben – July 29, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!

Comment by AuntieKris – July 29, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sigh. I know how you feel. I don’t know what’s going on with these CW shows, because I find it really hard to believe those shows have the ratings and fan bases necessary to beat characters from some of the bigger, more watched shows on bigger networks. I would be convinced the Gossip Girl fans were cheating in the contest against Barney if I thought they were smart enough to figure it out. But maybe I underestimated them, maybe they are smart enough to figure out how to cheat. It’s either that, or else TVLine just has a huge fanbase of teenage girls, because I’m pretty sure that’s the only people that would watch CW shows. Or those with the mentality of teenage girls.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 29, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um… ouch. I am not a teenage girl, and yet I still love The Vampire Diaries because it is an excellent show. There’s no need for hostility. You shouldn’t look down on teenagers just for being young. It’s pretty snotty.

Comment by Jane – July 29, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not taking up for Britta, since she/he sounds like a bitter tool, but the CW does gear its program towards teenage girls. That was their entire strategy when they became a network. Nothing wrong with liking it, of course. Just stating facts.

Comment by Ashley – July 29, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You’re right. I know they’re geared towards teenagers… I just don’t know why one must assume that makes every show they have automatically bad. I’m not saying every show on there is good, but seriously. Bitter tool is right.

Comment by Jane – July 30, 2012 09:54 AM PDT
        • Hey, don’t underestimate the number of cougars hot on the trail of the Winchester men.

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Calling teenagers stupid just because you’re old and jaded is pretty pathetic. There are plenty of intelligent, well-spoken teenagers. Probably more-so than you.

Comment by dude – July 29, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Barney is a rake, not a bad boy. As much as I hate Gossip Girl, Chuck Bass is your quintessential bad boy. He fits the category better than most of the entries. I’ll vote for everyone but him but that doesn’t mean that some nefarious teenage plot has unhatched to take us all down. You are somewhat unhinged.

Comment by Michael – July 29, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i don’t watch justified but i do watch TVD so i’m obviously going to pick a character that i know.

Comment by Elyse – July 30, 2012 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You really should start watching ‘JUSTIFIED’. You won’t be sorry!

Comment by Susan – July 31, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is extremely hard for me :(

Comment by Monique – July 29, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No contest! Damon all the way!!

Comment by Jill – July 29, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RAYLAN. No question.

Comment by Kelly – July 29, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damon hands down

Comment by Zac – July 29, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sick of Vampire Diaries, but Raylan is just not it…sure it’s Damon…

Comment by malinam – July 29, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raylan is not a bad guy. He may be on the cusp but he’s a good guy who always gets his man, well unless it’s Boyd.

Comment by sandee – July 29, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not about whether he’s a bad *guy*. He’s definitely a bad boy. Rebel and all that.

Comment by Ashley – July 29, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raylan is a badass.

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I try to follow the rules and keep the ‘bad boy’ qualities in mind when voting, but if this was for the ‘best baker of chocolate chip cookies’ I would vote for Raylan and I don’t know or care if the man can cook!!! I just can’t help myself…

Comment by Jennifer – July 29, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how did cole turner lose?

Comment by Jacqi – July 29, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon is just a hot vampire who manipulates and kills humans… which is what all vampires do. Stefan was a better bad boy when he was on his Ripper streak.

Comment by Emily – July 29, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raylan Givens all the way … except the VD fangirls are going to vote for Damon because they think Ian Somerholder is hot. However, women of a certain age, like myself, appreciate the mature appeal of Timothy Olyphant.

Comment by AuntieKris – July 29, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, come on. They’re both hot. Like, exceptionally so. This is common consensus, and has nothing to do with age. And, to be honest, the definition of “best bad boy” is so elusive that I pretty much am just voting with my loins.

Comment by Rebecca – July 29, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “…I pretty much am just voting with my loins” Touche!

Comment by AuntieKris – July 29, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m picking Damon because i actually watch TVD and i’ve never seen an episode of justified. it’s not my fault Damon happens to be hot.

Comment by Elyse – July 30, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure Timothy Olyphant must love being mentioned in the same breath as a glorified underwear model from a teenybopper show on the CW.

Comment by Miffy – July 29, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t denigrate a show if you’ve never seen it. TVD is quality television. It’s just in a different genre, and the people are unrealistically beautiful. I watch both shows, and trust me- both of these characters are complex, bad ass, and freaking gorgeous.

Comment by Jenna – July 29, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon! Damon, Damon, Damon. He won sexiest beast and he can win this, too! Well, if he loses to Chuck Bass, I won’t be totally heartbroken.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 29, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raylan is bad and full of darkness. The love of his life called him the angriest man she knew. He coolly shot his own father in the leg after his dad betrayed him. He cheated on his girlfriend with his ex-wife. He shot his best friend in the chest. He tazed a guy in the balls. And then tazed him again when the guy was just starting to come to. He covered up his ex-wife’s theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars. I could go on and on. Raylan is bad, and super sexy to boot. And the hat. Let’s not forget the hat. That badass hat alone should win this contest.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 29, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Raylan shot Arlo in the leg… it happened so fast I didn’t even process why he did that until after the gun thugs came crashing in. A quick mind and a sure shot is hot as hell. Damon couldn’t think that fast, and he’s a vampire with super-speed.

Comment by Emily – July 29, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget he hit that guy with his car. Twice. And banged Dewey’s head against a steering wheel, and played keep away with a man’s arm. Man, I love that show.

Comment by Ashley – July 29, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah the scene with the arm, wow. I also watch TVD, but those writers would never do anything so flat out twisted. they’d never even think to do it. That’s the difference between broadcast and cable. all the real badasses are on cable, where the FCC can’t interfere.

Comment by Temis – July 30, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Raylan’s expression after Quarles is “disarmed” makes me laugh every time. Raylan is as shocked as Quarles is, but he reacts with such… matter-of-fact incredulousness. It’s like, alright, I’ll go with it.

Comment by Emily – July 30, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, and Raylan crossed the line by playing Harlan Roulette with Wyn Duffy. In addition to his ex-wife’s cover-up, he also tampered with evidence by 1) ‘returning to Robert Quarles that which was his,’ and 2) looking the other way while Mags Bennett’s money ‘derived from ill-gotten gains’ went to Loretta. And he let Boyd have Dickie Bennett (to no doubt kill him) before having to ‘borrow him for just a little bit.’

He is bad with a super coolness factor. Not only is Raylan’s hat a character in to itself (“Hatless”), his slow, sexy walk is so hott … there are no words that can do it justice. Oh, and there is his steely-eyed stare.

Besides being super smart and clever, Raylan is super bad, super cool, and super hott … all at the same time.

Comment by dolphinlights – July 30, 2012 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved the tablecloth pull with Fletcher “Ice Pick” Nix. Also had to love how nonchalantly Raylan disarmed Bo Crowder & Co. in Bulletville too. Whatever he does, he does with style.

Comment by Leah – July 30, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s the coolest character on TV … while also being the King of Badassery.

Comment by dolphinlights – July 30, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, he shot Arlo in the arm.

Comment by Susan – July 31, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Real men must be able to pull off scruff. Damon Salvatore, besides not even being a real human, does not qualify.

Comment by Leah – July 29, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is ridiculous there is no way that a cw vampire could beat raylan. anyone who says he isnt a badass clearly doesnt watch Justified. he’s a broke alcoholic cowboy marshall who justifies shooting people by letting them take their guns out before he kills them. no contest

Comment by jaime – July 29, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way the question is stated is which of the 2 do you prefer.

Comment by Samantha – July 29, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love them both. Cannot even vote. Ugh!

Comment by MGL – July 29, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch both shows but I got to give this one to Raylan. There is nothing cooler or bad than Raylan throwing the bullet at Wyn Duffy’s chest and telling him the next ones coming faster.

Comment by Dave – July 29, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ This! :-)

Comment by AuntieKris – July 29, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lmao…loving all the Raylan flashbacks here.Personally, I loved the way he “disarmed” Robert Quarles and held the arm out of reach…definitely my favorite bad boy between these two.

Comment by Brenda – July 30, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the way, one of the most unfair match-ups in this bracket was Dean Winchester v. Eliot Spencer. Seriously?!?

Comment by AuntieKris – July 29, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon all the way baby!!!! TV’s true bad boy!!!

Comment by Ollie – July 29, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone who plays Harlan Roulette with the Dixie Mafia gets my vote.

Comment by Dolphin – July 30, 2012 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAMON without a doubt!

Comment by Juliette – July 30, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch either show but Raylan Givens just LOOKS more like a bad boy. Besides, I’m also still pissed about Cole Turner losing.

Comment by Deena – July 30, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raylan! Raylan! She said futilely, sigh…

If the one character in this contest written by Elmore Leonard can’t win a badass contest, there’s no justice in the world.

Comment by Temis – July 30, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raylan for me. I love me some gunslinger.

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep voting for Raylan.

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon self-destructs to seek affirmation of how bad he is. Raylan Givens thinks this poll is incredibly lame, and doesn’t need validation of his badassery. Damon can have it.

Comment by Emily – July 30, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raylan is the King of Badassery.

Comment by dolphinlights – July 30, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, some people make comments about teenagers voting. I just want to say that I’m 28 and enjoy tv shows like Gossip Girl, 90210, Pretty Little Liars, Melissa and Joey, HIMYM, CougarTown,… There is no age. We watch tv to escape from reality, to dream for a while, to get rid of our daily stress. We’re allowed to enjoy watching cute men, bad boys, on tv. Just my opinion. And of course I enjoy more “adult” shows like Dexter, White Collar, and new things like Saving Hope, Awake and loved Ringer and The River.
    Again, just my thoughts. There is no age to watch tv, we all have different taste. When I was a teen my mother used to watch Buffy, Angel, Charmed with me, she loved it! And I sometimes watch it all over again on dvd and am not ashamed to enjoy that!

Comment by Maryline__BSB – July 31, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post