Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment from London 2012, Day 2?

To me, the Summer Olympics have always been synonymous with first names: Nadia. Mary Lou. Shawn. (That’s Comaneci, Retton and Johnson, for the uninitiated.) So as women’s gymnastics took center stage on Day 2 of NBC’s prime time coverage, I couldn’t wait to go ga-ga over the mind-bending array of flips, twists and rotations.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the heartbreak, joy and torrent of tears that came to define the qualification round, as defending world champion Jordyn Wieber -– one of the big favorites for the Gold –- missed making the Women’s Gymnastics All-Around Finals.

Despite the fact that she suffered no major stumbles, Wieber finished as only the third-ranked American (behind teammates Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas), and countries are limited to just two gymnasts in the All-Around finals. Seeing the 17-year-old Wieber dissolve into tears of disbelief and disappointment (while Raisman simultaneously burst into tears of happiness) as she left the O2 Arena was heartwrenching stuff. For my money, this was the indelible moment of Day 2.

On the upside, Wieber will join the phenomenal American women and go for the Gold in the team finals on Tuesday. So keep your chin up, girl!

What was your favorite moment of Day 2? Was it U.S. swimmer Dana Vollmer’s thrilling, world record setting win the 100-meter butterfly? Or what about French swimmer Yannick Agnel catching Ryan Lochte at the wire to give France the Gold in the 4×100-meter freestyle relay? Leave your comments below! –Mitch Rustad

TAGS:
GET MORE: Recaps, Sports

1. ktbanks says:

Love gymnastics, but I’ll tell you what my LEAST favorite moment was: NBC interviewing Aly Raisman while Jordyn Wieber is behind her IN THE SHOT! What a complete and utter lack of tact. Stay classy, NBC….

That being said, very happy the Team USA. Gabby and Aly are amazing gymnasts and deserve their success, but I’m crushed for Jordyn. So hard for her, but she’s a classy gal, and she’ll bounce back in Team and Floor finals!

• lariet50 says:

Amen! Hated that NBC did that, though I’m not at all surprised. They likely posed the poor girl there.

• ktbanks says:

I saw it from a different angle this morning during the live stream….that’s exactly what looked to have happened. I didn’t know until tonight that she was directly in the show though!

• Elena says:

I know! That was awful! How can we be happy for one gymnast when another one is sobbing right behind her in the shot while her heart is breaking that she can’t compete in the all around? That was awkward to say the least and a bad call from whoever shot that angle on the interview and the producers who allowed it. Very disappointing that they would do that to Jordan. I hope she can bounce back from this though and help take the girls to a team gold! They are all such great gymnasts:)
      I DID really enjoy watching Brendan Hanson come back from retirement to swim in the 100 breast finals to take another medal. Even if it wasn’t gold, it was a great moment seeing him be able to accomplish that while beating his longtime rival as well.

• Sara says:

I totally agree with you about Brendan Hanson. That was definitely my “YES!” moment of the day! I also really enjoyed watching the two US divers win a medal as well.

• Aprilcot says:

Glad I’m not the only one who was bothered by this. It also sort of bothers me that TVLine chose to show a picture of the noticeably upset Wieber with a headline asking about your favorite thing from yesterday. Clearly, that was the favorite moment of *no one*.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I agree, that was in poor taste of NBC, and I find it impossible to believe it could have been staged accidentally. They were definitely going for the drama, and ended up adding to her humiliation by showing her cry in what she thought might have been a semi-private moment. I do hope she is proud of herself though for what a fantastic job she did last night, as she should be, and hopefully takes comfort in that.

• Drewer says:

I know, all I could think was someone go give that poor girl a hug and pull her out of the camera line. But I didn’t realize until later that Ally ended up not only finishing in front of Jordyn but also scored higher than Gabby, all-around.

• W says:

I agree, that camera angle catching Jorydn crying in the background was heartbreaking. However, they did wait quite a while to actually interview Jordyn because she was so devastated.

• Tim says:

Let’s face it, part of the entertainment is watching someone’s dreams get crushed. The Olympics is the original reality show.

• NBC is the epitome of classless in these Olympic coverage. They cut away from a tribute to the people who died in the terrorist attacks to a freaking Ryan Seacrest interview. Really?! There wasn’t another time you could have plugged that in? They are freaking tape delaying the coverage by like 10 hours so that we already know who wins most events thanks to twitter and facebook and they can’t even manage respectful coverage. I mean, where is the joy because the American team had a kick butt day? The headlines should have been that USA women’s gymnastics has a fantastic day not that one athlete is disappointed because her teammates did better than she did. That is crap. They did the same thing to Ryan Lochte when he beat Michael Phelps. Was the headline “USA continues to dominate grueling race” NO, the headline was Michael Phelps doesn’t medal ::GASP:: It’s maddening. Not to mention I don’t get to see anyone but America compete in most events. I think the IOC should break the contract with NBC since they haven’t got a clue as to how to air the Olympics.

2. Mick says:

I’ll say what a million internet commentator have been saying for the last few years. Wieber is a great gymnast, but the international judges were never going to love her. In fact the international judges seem to be butchering everyone on floor today. Watching the Russians now. I loved the French vs. Americans show down, it was great.

3. lariet50 says:

Enjoyed the gymnastics as always, although I feel terribly sorry for poor Jordyn Wieber. They really should change the rule to allow the top 24 scorers to go to all-around, regardless of country. I have to say, though, I’m pissed at NBC for not showing Elizabeth Tweddle from the UK on bars. She scored a 16.1, for pity’s sake!

• MoxieSue says:

Exactly! How can it be a competition for the best all-around gymnast if they don’t include all of the top scoring gymnasts? Gymnasts who had far lower scores than Jordyn, and virtually no shot of winning a medal, will be able to compete.

• CAM says:

It is a stupid rule that seems to have been made to make some others feel better about themselves. If you want to have a competition for the best All Around gymnast, why shouldn’t the actual best athletes be competing? Jordyn still ended up with the 4th highest combined score of the 60 athletes that competed and yet she won’t be in the All Around competition. The same thing happned to gymnasts from 3 other nations, though their rankings were quite a bit lower than Jordyn’s.

4. The swimming events are my favorite, but the USA diving team getting the Silver medal was pretty spectacular.

5. Merrilyn says:

My favorite moment was Brendan Hansen winning the bronze medal in his final individual race, edging his main rival out of the medals. He was so gracious in the interview afterwards.

• Flo says:

Yes! Hansen is a classy man. Glad he won the bronze.

• Margaret says:

my favorite quote of the night came from brendan “I’m just really proud of myself” after his bronze medal. I was so happy to see him finally beat kitajima & get that medal he so desperately wanted.

6. Kate says:

How about least favorite? Lochte choking in the relay! His teammates were gracious but I’m sure they are less than thrilled to have him after he was doing interviews this morning about how tired he was after going out partying last night. Say what you will about Phelps but even when he had crazy individual pressure on him, he always gave 100% to relays.

• Margaret says:

I definitely wondered if they should have put Cullen or Nathan at the anchor, they are the two swimming the 100 free for USA anyway, so they’ve been doing the proper sprinting practice. Even Michael probably would have been a better choice, he swam a fantastic leg tonight.

• Amber says:

I totally agree. I don’t want to be unfair, but he can bust his rear for an individual, but give up the lead for a team?

7. Annie says:

I’m happy for Gabby and Ally. I feel sorry for Jordyn, but all three girls are incredibly talented, and deserved a spot in the all arounds. I can’t wait to see them on Tuesday and Thursday.

8. shelly says:

Cameron van der Burgh winning Gold for South Africa!! So proud and happy :)

• CinephileSandra says:

Agreed!! Cameron winning was just a beautiful moment, his genuine joy was just delightful to watch. Definitely my highlight.

• CinephileSandra says:

9. Janey says:

Becky Adlington’s bronze in the pool and Lizzie Armitstead winnign Team GB’s first medal of the games in the road race!

• Eli says:

Team Holland winning its first Gold of the games in the road race! :D

• Sal says:

Was so happy for Marianne Vos! My favorite moment was Emilie Heymans and Jennifer Abel winning Canada’s first medal in London, and therefore Heymans making history as first female diver to win a medal in 4 consecutive Olympics. So proud of you, Emilie!!

10. C says:

France winning the relay. Amazing swimming!

11. Arnia K says:

I feel so bad for Jordyn, all three deserve a place in the AA’s. It doens’t seem right that Jordyn, who finished 4th overall can’t compete when a girl who ended up 22nd can. I understand that they want diversity and everything, but when Russia and USA (at the moment) have the best gymnasts in the world, how just because the country has so many talented girls that they can deny some of them spots, yet allow other mid-field gymnasts a spot. In the AA’s and apparatus finals, it should be the best of the best competing, reguardless of the country. I’m happy for Gabby and Aly though!

12. Jules says:

What a crappy rule. They’re basically saying she can’t compete because the Americans are too good at their sport. I hope the IOC, or Intl Gymnastics Assoc, whoever made the idiotic rule, sees the error of their ways tonight. They only put it in place to prevent an American, in this case, sweep. Sucks for Jordyn. But good luck to Gabby and Aly! I think either one of them could win this.

13. Amy says:

I am not sure the last time I felt that terrible for someone. Watching Olympic dreams crushed is awful. Make the people who created the rule watch that footage of Jordyn and they should see that they need to change their ruling.

• Gretchen says:

What dream crushed? She made it to the Olympics, had a chance to compete and by the rules, failed to qualify. I am fairly sure she knew the rules going in. But of course, some want special treatment for the American darling….

• bettyd says:

I agree. She didn’t get the scores. If she didn’t step out of bounds, so would have been in. Floor judges were brutal on all, so it’s not like she was specifically ruled harder than others. She will get a medal for the team, and probably for one event. I know the AA is the best in that sport, but she has nothing to be ashamed of – disappointed yes.

• Gretchen says:

As I point out below, this is all rather interesting as Gabby lost an all-around to Jordyn due to her entry/age/some technicality in a competition earlier this year…Gabby won, but due to the technicality, Jordyn got the medal and the credit. Doubt if Jordyn was crying for Gabby then, why should Gabby cry for her now?

• RUCookie says:

Actually it is not just the US that got screwed by this dumb rule – the Chinese, the Russians and the British could not send all their members that qualified for the all-around. So, before you jump on the idea that this is just american’s upset – I assure you that there are 3 other girls whose dreams were dashed as well.

14. Amber says:

I’d say hearing about Kim Rhode. Five golds in five straight Olympics?

• Kate says:

I was excited about that too until I read more about her. There was an article about how she loves to collect cars, antique books, etc and later mentions how her parents still owe on their house because they had to refinance it so many times to pay for her training. Rubbed me the wrong way that she likes blowing all her money on her instead of trying to help her parents who spent a fortune to support her. Apparently training can cost up to $700 a day? I am sure they meant to make her come off cool, but instead she just sounded selfish. Just a total contrast to the male gymnast who started working at the gym as a kid so he could help his parents pay the mortgage because his training was bleeding them dry.

• Sal says:

Er, no. 3 golds in 3 straight Olympics, but she’s won other medals in 2 other Olympics before.

15. Gretchen says:

Wieber has won world competitions already–I for one, am happy to see the other girls given a chance on the world stage.

• Gretchen says:

BTW, I remember a competition earlier this year where Gabby won, but because of her age,or her entry or some technicality, Wieber got the gold and Gabby had to watch her prance about, even though Wieber only won by technicality. This seems like a nice karmic poke in the other direction :)

16. kateshomesick says:

the worst definitely was Philipp Boy (german gymnast) who won silver in the WC two times in a row, injuring himself on his first vault attempt and having to go through the entire qualification just to get his team into the finals while he was obviously devastated that he couldn’t qualify for any of the singles competitions…Why do they have to do the singles and team qualifications all in one? That doesn’t make any sense to me!

17. MoxieSue says:

I can understand NBC concentrating on the US gymnastics team, but would have liked to see the top performances from other countries, like Elizabeth Twaddle earning a 16.1 on the uneven bars.

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

I don’t like the rule about only sending two gymnasts per country to the all-around. This puts girls who had lower scores in the competition and may not be as good or as deserving as those who got higher scores than them but placed 3rd for their country. They should just take the first 15 or however many compete in the all-around of whoever got the 15 (or whatever number of gymnasts compete in the all around) highest scores in the qualifying round. That seems like it would be the most sporting thing to do for the athletes instead of this whole diplomatic, “every country gets to compete in the all-around!” bullcrap.

19. seattlejohn449 says: