Breaking Bad Recap: Bugging Out

Get More: Recaps

Like a dysfunctional family’s attempt to get along at a holiday dinner, this week’s Breaking Bad was full of people smiling and nodding and assuring each other that everything was just fine — except that of course, it’s not. And everybody knows that when the head of the meth operation household is mad, he’s the last person you want wielding the carving knife. But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let’s all just smile and pretend everything’s peachy as we review what went down in “Hazard Pay.”

MIKE DOES RIGHT | The episode opens as Mike, posing as a paralegal, meets with Gus’ jailed laundry manager, Dennis. Mike assures him the deal he had with the Pollos Hermanos boss is still in place, but a very nervous Dennis notes that with the Feds taking away Mike’s team’s “hazard pay,” someone eventually will flip and tell the DEA all of the chemical-soaked details. The grizzled security expert assures him, “You will be made whole.” True to his word, Mike spends the rest of the episode making sure that his guys can continue providing for their families and such. At Saul’s office, after a bunch of protests from the crooked lawyer, Mike’s officially a 30 percent partner in Walt & Jesse’s Kountry Kitchen v.2.0. When Saul notes that Mike’s not exactly acting in the subservient way Walt’s come to expect from his business associates, we see more of the creepy self-assuredness the former pushover has exhibited in the past few episodes. “He handles the business,” Walt says evenly, “and I handle him.” The entrepreneurs and their legal counsel then go about finding a new cook site, and after passing on potential set-ups within a box factory, a tortilla factory and a laser-tag facility, Walt finds inspiration in a tiny industrial building belonging to Vamonos Pest exterminators. You know those giant tents placed over bug-infested homes while they’re being fumigated? Turns out, they provide the perfect cover for a stinky, equipment-heavy, time-consuming crystal meth cooking session. And – bonus! — the bug company’s employees are already low-level thieves. Quicker than you can say “bedbug,” Skinny Pete and Badger (aw, hi guys!) are buying roadie-type equipment cases on Jesse’s behalf and Mike is briefing the bug guys – including Friday Night Lights’ Jesse Plemons, who I sincerely hope will have more to do next week – to pretend like Jesse and Walt aren’t there.

JESSE DOES, TOO | At Casa Jesse, Walt and his former student powwow about the logistics of the cook site, and even in this brief interaction, you’ve got to marvel at how Jesse’s changed since we first met him. As we’re reminded later in the episode, only about a year of these characters’ lives has transpired between the pilot and now, which makes their transformation that much more dramatic; in that time, Jesse’s gone from feckless floater to grounded adult… a point driven home when Andrea and Brock arrive with groceries for dinner, and Jesse-as-dad invites Walt to stay a while. He introduces Brock, who could not look more wary of the older man if he had a Lily of the Valley plant growing out of his shiny bald head. When Jesse and Andrea go into the kitchen, Walt gives Brock the side-eye on the couch and I tie myself into knots because it’s all just too tense. I know there’s no reason or motive for Walt to somehow lace the kid’s portable video game device with poison controller knobs or something, and he doesn’t seem to recognize Walt in any way, and yet I am so terribly afraid for this cute little piece of collateral damage. Much later, during a pause in the cook, Jesse and Walt share a beer on the living room couch of the strangers’ home they’re befouling. Walt assumes his papa role when he asks if Jesse and Andrea’s relationship is “moving in any particular direction.” Jesse’s noncommittal, but he hastily assures his partner that he hasn’t told Andrea anything about what they do. Surprisingly, Walt leaves the reveal all/reveal nothing decision up to his protégé, noting that “secrets create barriers between people.” Hmm, is that why the Great Wall of China just popped up between you and Jesse, Walterino? And while on its face, this scene might be taken as a caring interaction between an experienced mentor and the young man he’s grown to love, it played out like a spider drawing a kinda clueless fly into its scary, about-to-be-ripped-down-by-the-DEA web. Or maybe I just have bugs on the brain, because at 46 minutes into the episode, I had to see a cockroach clamber across the screen. UNCOOL, Breaking Bad. I’ll sit through Jane choking on her vomit or Gus walking around with half a face, but this new venture better not mean I’ll have to deal with creepy crawlies all over the place every week. After an unfortunate waterbug incident in substandard campus housing during my college years, there’s only so much my insect-averse self can take. But I digress. Walt’s words resonate with Jesse, who later reveals that he broke up with Andrea to protect her but will continue to provide for her and her son — which, of course, is exactly what the chem king wanted.

WALT, NOT SO MUCH | Walter, on the other hand – who, you’ll recall, started this whole shebang to make sure his family didn’t suffer after his death – seems to have lost sight of that part of the mission. When the batch yields $137,000 for each of the partners, all Walt can do is complain about Mike’s plan to replace his guys’ hazard pay with profits from the new business. The anger doesn’t stem from wanting a better life for baby Holly; it’s all about whether or not Walt’s getting screwed. Jesse tries to get him to see that even though their take is smaller than with Fring, they have a bigger part of the business, and that will ultimately net them more cash. Walt makes a very scary reference to Victor, the employee whose throat Gus slit with a box cutter – “Maybe he flew too close to the sun” – and Jesse stares at him with an appropriately horrified look. Yeah Jesse: Now that Walt’s not even trying to hide his crazy from you anymore, be afraid. Be very afraid.

METH-MERIZING | Let’s take a moment to appreciate: Skyler’s “shut up!”-laden breakdown in front of Marie (who hasn’t wanted to tell that chick to stuff it at least once in the last four seasons?),  Walt’s possibly prescient side comment about not trying to sell his condo (“In this market, I’d get killed.”), Hank’s alluded-to progress in physical therapy, Huell’s heavy breathing, Jesse snatching a hot tortilla off the factory line, Walt’s deft non-confession confession about Skyler’s infidelity and the homeowner’s reaction to seeing the ramp nearly buckle as cases of cook gear were wheeled into his house (“Holy crap, how much poison are you using?!”).

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you glad for the brief respite from the DEA closing in? Did you long for Lydia? Do you fear for Skyler’s mental state? And when, officially, is Walter going to turn into his version of Scarface? Hit the comments and weigh in!

Tags: ,

Comments (24)

• Who thinks the kid from Friday Night Lights is an undercover cop of some sort that has just stumbled onto something a lot bigger than the B&E ring he has infiltrated?

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – July 29, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is an excellent theory. Never occurred to me, but I think you might have nailed it there, Chuck.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 29, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Anna Gunn’s scene with Marie! Some clarification about that last line that Walt says — what does it mean exactly?

Comment by sam – July 29, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Walt’s comment means he’s willing to go all Scarface on Mike or (maybe) Jesse if he feels they are gettin in his way of progress. That’s why Jesse stared at Walt all like “wtf.’

Comment by justin – July 29, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this episode, and I was so excited to see Landry! I knew he would be on the show this season, just wasn’t sure when he was popping up. If I may quote FNL, “Welcome to the team, Landry!” I am pretty nervous for Mike. He’s definitely the most interesting character on the show to me right now. I hope we get to keep him for awhile. I think my favorite part of the show was Skinny Pete busting out a little Beethoven, I think that was. Scratch that, that’s my favorite part of the entire series. I rewound it 5 times and laughed my butt off every time. “Yo, I’m Skinny Pete!”

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 29, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of Scarface how about AMC’s shameless plug of “Mob Week” by having the family sitting around watching Scarface. Clearly the Whites don’t have Dish….

Comment by Ben – July 29, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This probably hasn’t been lost on anyone, but both things that Walt was watching on TV, involved a person, ape suit or not, was firing a machine gun, like the one Walt bought at the start of the season. This I found interesting, though, that both occurrences involved the gunman, or gun-ape, firing at people that were cowering from the person. Now, my foreshadowing senses are telling me that whoever Walt bought that gun for will be blindsided by it and Walt will come out victorious. But I guess my cynical nature, and maybe the fact that it is past 2:00 A.M., is telling me that Walt is gonna have the tables turned on him.
    Another link my mind made is the fact that the first thing Walt was watching was Three Stooges. This is important because as I was catching up with Breaking Bad, I also watched the Three Stooges airings AMC ran right after the Breaking Bad episodes. So when I saw that my mind instantly went to that Jesse and Walt were watching AMC. Just thought I’d share that.

Comment by Patrick Maloney – July 29, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Between the Three Stooges and Scarface (during AMC’s “Mob Week,” couldn’t help but take note of AMC’s own little “product placement.” A little shameless, I thought.

Comment by Nate – July 30, 2012 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not shameless…cheap. It’s incredibly expensive to get the rights to show even a lip of anything sometimes. Considering Vince Gilligan has repeatedly referenced Scarface I’m assuming AMC would have had to pay for a clip if they didn’t own it; it was the most important aspect of that scene. As for watching the Stooges, using something AMC has the rights to air can only save production costs.

Comment by Jessica – July 30, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That ends with the Three Stooges all getting shot in the behind. I’m thinking these three are going to get it in the arse in a less comical manner.

Comment by Jen88 – July 30, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As he and his son are watching the movie, Walt says “everyone dies in this movie”. I’m not sure if everyone will die, but there might be one hell of a body count, and unlike some shows, it could be any one of them.

Has anyone else noticed how good of a liar Walt has become?

Comment by Robbie – July 30, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read episode 5 is where everything goes to hell.

If it were up to me I would have Walt stay on his road to ruin, this includes killing Mike and Skylar either deliberately or due to his hubris… Then it will come down to Walt vs. Hank vs Jesse (it has to) and everybody will think Walt will scheme to have Jesse die to save himself but instead he will achieve redemption by sacrificing his own life to save Jesse. Watch. I know Vince G. and he likes to say screw it I’m gonna do the opposite of what everyone thinks will happen.

Comment by Pinkman – July 30, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I think the series will end with Jesse holding a gun on Walt (begging for his life), after he (spoiler) realized what Walt did to his drug addict-ex, and after Walt kills Skyler and Mike, realizing what a monster he has become. Jesse ends it, I predict.

Comment by Pat D. – July 30, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Pat D. It’s going to be Jesse that ends Walt, and by that moment, we’ll all be cheering for him.

Comment by Erin – July 30, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So that means that the time that will pass in this final season will include time jumps to span an entire year. Things are going to get very ugly very fast.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 30, 2012 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This site is all thats keeping me sane while the honchos at Dish and AMC continue to deprive us of the best show on tv.

Comment by Lisa – July 30, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never realized processed what a big figging idiot Walt has become until the division of money scene. What is he thinking? From the beginning he has known how to make meth but not to distribute it. Now he is in business with a very solid guy, and he can’t even make that work? What is wrong with this guy?

Comment by Chester – July 30, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • really processed

Comment by Chester – July 30, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST SHOW ON TV RIGHT NOW.

Comment by Sarabi – July 30, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! Breaking Bad is definitely helping me with my Game of Thrones withdrawals. SOA will help me with my Breaking Bad withdrawals when this season is over.

Comment by Olive – July 31, 2012 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live for Jesse and Mike on the show.
    And thank goodness for giving us more of Aaron Paul this week – and I always welcome any opportunity for Skinny Pete and Badger to make their way into the episode.
    And Anna Gunn was sooooo incredible in this episode.
    Cannot wait for Hank and especially Walt Jr. to find out about Walt.

Comment by Karen – July 30, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • horrible, horrible, horrible writing! Who wants to see these characters sitting around all episode long chatting about family matters, etc. BOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGGG!

Comment by Blue Ribbon – August 13, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed. I cannot believe how bad the story has skewed. I used to count the minutes
    till it aired. Now I barely care.

Comment by Quality C – August 27, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post