Buffy's Spike and Lost's Sawyer Square Off in 'TV's Best Bad Boy' Quarterfinals, Day 3!

Both of the participants in Day 3 of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament Quarterfinals are known to TV audiences by just one name, starting with the letter ‘S.’

Yes indeed, brace yourselves for a serious scrimmage between Buffy‘s Spike and Lost‘s Sawyer!

Every day for the next week, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, and those we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

1. Marc Millard says:

50/50! Yup sounds about right! HARD ONE!

2. Lindsey says:

I don’t think I can vote in this one…. I’d feel guilty voting against either of them! Love them both so much!!! Ahh!

3. Even though Spike isnt my fav character at all on BTVS he is still on BTVS which makes him a hell of a lot better than a lot of characters in this poll (well mainly the CW ones) and so I want William the Bloody to win this whole thing now!!

4. Samantha says:

Spike. I miss him.

5. Diana Diller says:

It depends. Is it Spike before or after the chip? If after the chip, Sawyer wins, coz Spike can’t hurt a human being. Which makes it unfair. :D

6. ben says:

I know Spike is all but guaranteed to win this, but Sawyer really should.

7. Jeremy says:

No Lex Luthor from Smallville?

8. Eva says:

It’s not even a question, soulful Spike rules!

9. joshua says:

Clearly most of these people don’t watch or have some of the premium channels, Hank Moody eliminated in the first round? While I love NPH as Barney Moody is by far a worse womanizing badboy than NPH. Tyrion Lannister and Dexter Morgan eliminated as well as Shane and Darryl from The Walking Dead?

• Temis says:

Hah, this contest is more about fanbases than actual badassery. Otherwise, Walter White would have slaughtered all comers, rather than being knocked out in the second round, by an imp, no less!

Ps Shane should have made it further too.

• LRF says:

I was completely boggled by the fact that Big beat out Hank Moody.

10. jackie says:

THERE WILL NEVER BE A VAMPIRE AS SEXY AS SPIKE. NEVER

• Adam says:

Or a badass one like him. Now and days there vampires that don’t really killed anybody but falls in love.

• Ros says:

Sorry, I love Spike, but I have to disagree. Angel/Angelus (David Boreanaz) is the baddest vamp in all the land. And, did I mention that he oozes sexiness?

• Ari says:

Disagree! I always preferred Spike to Angel. Spike was way badder, way funnier, way more sexy. Angelus was always kind of a bore. Plus, Spike wrote poetry.

• Ros says:

I respect preference for Spike, but I must take exception with “Spike was way badder [than Angel]“. When Spike first appeared on Angel, in season 5, Fred kept asking who he was.

Wesley (describing Spike): William the Bloody. He’s a vampire. One of the worst recorded. Second only to—

Angel: Me

I like Spike too, but as far as the story line, he was not intended to be as badass as Angel. It was revealed in the “Destiny” episode (5:8), that was the FIRST and ONLY time Spike ever beat Angel in a fight (in probably 200+ years). And, it would seem, they fought a lot.

• hulettwyo says:

True, Spike was second to Angelus in his predilection for torture and murder, but Spike was known for seeking out Slayers, not hiding from them. He fought and killed two. How many did Angelus kill? Angelus went after nuns and young women. Spike went after the best of the best, the women that were meant to kill his kind.

And as far as Spike and Angel fighting… Angel had over a hundred years on Spike, so of course he’d be stronger and better trained, not to mention Angel is bigger than Spike. And Spike even said it, “Come on. When was the last time you unleashed it? All-out fight in a mob, back against the wall, nothing but fists and fangs? Don’t you ever get tired of fights you know you’re going to win?” Angel only fought when he was sure of the outcome. Spike fought because he liked fighting.

• Ros says:

I don’t recall either the BTVS or Angel series stating that Spike “sought” out the slayers. Yes, he did kill two slayers, but it was more like him being in the right place, at the right time. I only watched the BTVS episodes in which Angel appeared, so maybe I missed the part where Spike is given credit for actually “seeking out slayers to kill.” For me, bottom line, Spike was just too damn short. I’ve never been attracted to short men.

• Ari says:

@Ros, he told Robin Wood( the slayer he killed in NYC on the subway) that he had been looking for her for a long time. He definitely sought her out. I’m not sure about the Chinese slayer he killed but he sought Nikki.

• Kahdri says:

Too bad most people disagree with you, as Spike kicked Angel’s ass in the previous round ;)

• Ros says:

That’s fine. Angel has his share of rabid fans, just like Spike. Maybe, they’re like me and didn’t know about this competition during the early rounds. At any rate, to each his own. There’s no accounting for taste, as they say!

11. Renee says:

No question Sawyer is the sexiest, but Spike is just BAD.

12. Marina Sabino says:

Spike for the win. How I miss him.

13. Ros says:

Why isn’t Angelus/Angel in this competition? He’s more of a bad boy than Spike.

14. Zigg Oz says:

Spike is the worst of the bad boys! Nothing compares with the
    pure evil, shown on Buffy, by the malefic, sarcastically and bloodthirsty Spike.

15. Danielle says:

I’ve tried clicking around, but I still don’t see a link to the poll. If I ever find it, I’d vote for Spike.

16. Temis says:

Sawyer! I know it’s futile, he’s up against a vampire this time. Next round, Damon will sink his fangs in Spike for revenge.

17. No contest here. I just hope TVD fangirls don’t go all crazy and Spike crushes Damon in the next round.

18. Manie says:

SPIKE FTW
    He was one of the strongest villains on Buffy and his character also had the best redemption while still being able to stay in character. He is to me the ultimate badass. And come on he killed not one but two Slayers! That man is a legend and let’s not forget he destroyed Hellmouth/Sunnydale!

19. egli says:

thanks god for me this round is easy, as I didnt watch LOST ;) so Spike for the win :D
    He is to sexy and to bad not to win this round ;)

20. Samantha says:

Spike beat Angel because it’s a bad boy competition. Angel’s not bad. Angelus is.

• Ros says:

Good point.

• No. “Angel” meant Angel/Angelus. Which is a false dichotomy anyway – check seasons 1 and 2 of Buffy, they almost never called soulless Angel “Angelus”, always Angel. The habit to call his soulless version/alter ego “Angelus” only started in late season 3. The poll didn’t differentiate between soulless and souled Spike, why would it do that for Angel?

Spike won simply because he’s the more popular character – there are more people who love Spike better than Angel/Angelus than the other way round. He’s won every online poll ever against Angel that I’ve ever seen and most BtVS character polls I’ve seen.

21. Ice says:

Sawyer all the way!

22. Line says:

SPIKE *-* <3

23. dtse says:

I love both but i think Spike is more badass :D

24. hulettwyo says:

It will always be Spike for me, no matter who he’s up against.

25. KS says:

I only voted for Sawyer so it wouldn’t be such a mauling. Ugh, it shouldn’t have to be like this.

26. KS says:

BTW, the left side of the bracket is crap now. Whichever one of the vamps wins the semis should win the whole shebang. Either one is worthy.

27. Dee Kottkamp says:

I don’t think I can choose its too hard!!!!

28. mawhi says:

Yeah I can’t. There’s no way. Nope. I’m offended I even have to think about this.

29. ALS says:

Nooooooooo! This is impossible.

30. Cass says:

Yep, this contest has finally come up with an impossible choice.

31. Dawn says:

Just CANNOT choose! I want them both!