Buffy's Spike and Lost's Sawyer Square Off in 'TV's Best Bad Boy' Quarterfinals, Day 3!

Both of the participants in Day 3 of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament Quarterfinals are known to TV audiences by just one name, starting with the letter ‘S.’

Yes indeed, brace yourselves for a serious scrimmage between Buffy‘s Spike and Lost‘s Sawyer!

Every day for the next week, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, and those we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (66)

• 50/50! Yup sounds about right! HARD ONE!

Comment by Marc Millard – July 28, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I can vote in this one…. I’d feel guilty voting against either of them! Love them both so much!!! Ahh!

Comment by Lindsey – July 28, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though Spike isnt my fav character at all on BTVS he is still on BTVS which makes him a hell of a lot better than a lot of characters in this poll (well mainly the CW ones) and so I want William the Bloody to win this whole thing now!!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – July 28, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike. I miss him.

Comment by Samantha – July 28, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It depends. Is it Spike before or after the chip? If after the chip, Sawyer wins, coz Spike can’t hurt a human being. Which makes it unfair. :D

Comment by Diana Diller – July 28, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re giving this WAY too much thought. Spike, for the win!

Comment by Ros – July 28, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He could hurt Buffy since season 6… and he eventually did get the chip out, although he was less bad by that point.

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 29, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Spike is all but guaranteed to win this, but Sawyer really should.

Comment by ben – July 28, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not really, never did get interested in Lost, show was just too boring to watch.

And Spike is probably the best character on any television show ever. The only one that even comes close to him is Dean Winchester.

Comment by Lore Krajsman – July 29, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ooh, that would be a hard choice.

Comment by Kristina – July 29, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If I have to choose between Spike and Dean in the finals… my head and vagina might explode.

Comment by Hyde – July 29, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Had to come back in and comment because I was still chuckling 5 mins after reading this. I hear ya.

Comment by MLO – July 30, 2012 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YMMV – I liked Sawyer, he was one of my favorite characters on Lost but not the favorite. However, Spike is just so much awesomer.

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 29, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Lex Luthor from Smallville?

Comment by Jeremy – July 28, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He already lost in an early round, to Sylar. There’s a link up there to full bracket.

Comment by Lauren – July 28, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not even a question, soulful Spike rules!

Comment by Eva – July 28, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly most of these people don’t watch or have some of the premium channels, Hank Moody eliminated in the first round? While I love NPH as Barney Moody is by far a worse womanizing badboy than NPH. Tyrion Lannister and Dexter Morgan eliminated as well as Shane and Darryl from The Walking Dead?

Comment by joshua – July 28, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hah, this contest is more about fanbases than actual badassery. Otherwise, Walter White would have slaughtered all comers, rather than being knocked out in the second round, by an imp, no less!

Ps Shane should have made it further too.

Comment by Temis – July 28, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was completely boggled by the fact that Big beat out Hank Moody.

Comment by LRF – July 29, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THERE WILL NEVER BE A VAMPIRE AS SEXY AS SPIKE. NEVER

Comment by jackie – July 28, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or a badass one like him. Now and days there vampires that don’t really killed anybody but falls in love.

Comment by Adam – July 28, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, I love Spike, but I have to disagree. Angel/Angelus (David Boreanaz) is the baddest vamp in all the land. And, did I mention that he oozes sexiness?

Comment by Ros – July 28, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Disagree! I always preferred Spike to Angel. Spike was way badder, way funnier, way more sexy. Angelus was always kind of a bore. Plus, Spike wrote poetry.

Comment by Ari – July 29, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I respect preference for Spike, but I must take exception with “Spike was way badder [than Angel]“. When Spike first appeared on Angel, in season 5, Fred kept asking who he was.

Wesley (describing Spike): William the Bloody. He’s a vampire. One of the worst recorded. Second only to—

Angel: Me

I like Spike too, but as far as the story line, he was not intended to be as badass as Angel. It was revealed in the “Destiny” episode (5:8), that was the FIRST and ONLY time Spike ever beat Angel in a fight (in probably 200+ years). And, it would seem, they fought a lot.

Comment by Ros – July 29, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True, Spike was second to Angelus in his predilection for torture and murder, but Spike was known for seeking out Slayers, not hiding from them. He fought and killed two. How many did Angelus kill? Angelus went after nuns and young women. Spike went after the best of the best, the women that were meant to kill his kind.

And as far as Spike and Angel fighting… Angel had over a hundred years on Spike, so of course he’d be stronger and better trained, not to mention Angel is bigger than Spike. And Spike even said it, “Come on. When was the last time you unleashed it? All-out fight in a mob, back against the wall, nothing but fists and fangs? Don’t you ever get tired of fights you know you’re going to win?” Angel only fought when he was sure of the outcome. Spike fought because he liked fighting.

Comment by hulettwyo – July 29, 2012 01:53 PM PDT
          • I don’t recall either the BTVS or Angel series stating that Spike “sought” out the slayers. Yes, he did kill two slayers, but it was more like him being in the right place, at the right time. I only watched the BTVS episodes in which Angel appeared, so maybe I missed the part where Spike is given credit for actually “seeking out slayers to kill.” For me, bottom line, Spike was just too damn short. I’ve never been attracted to short men.

Comment by Ros – July 29, 2012 02:16 PM PDT
          • @Ros, he told Robin Wood( the slayer he killed in NYC on the subway) that he had been looking for her for a long time. He definitely sought her out. I’m not sure about the Chinese slayer he killed but he sought Nikki.

Comment by Ari – July 29, 2012 03:27 PM PDT
      • Too bad most people disagree with you, as Spike kicked Angel’s ass in the previous round ;)

Comment by Kahdri – July 29, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s fine. Angel has his share of rabid fans, just like Spike. Maybe, they’re like me and didn’t know about this competition during the early rounds. At any rate, to each his own. There’s no accounting for taste, as they say!

Comment by Ros – July 29, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No question Sawyer is the sexiest, but Spike is just BAD.

Comment by Renee – July 28, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike for the win. How I miss him.

Comment by Marina Sabino – July 28, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isn’t Angelus/Angel in this competition? He’s more of a bad boy than Spike.

Comment by Ros – July 28, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was… Spike eliminated him 2 rounds ago

Comment by Camilla – July 28, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG, that’s dreadful! I just don’t understand how Spike could beat Angel.

Comment by Ros – July 28, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He wanted it more.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 28, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ahhh DESTINY (5.08)!!

ANGEL: So ask yourself: Is this really the destiny that was meant for you? Do you even really want it? Or is it that you just want to take something away from me?

SPIKE: (shrugs) Bit of both.

Comment by Ladyhelix – July 28, 2012 10:15 PM PDT
          • :D

Comment by Andreea – July 28, 2012 10:54 PM PDT
          • Ladyhelix, you pretty much summed up a short piece of dialogue that explains why Spike is better than Angel. Angel spends way too much time talking not enough time acting. Haha!

Comment by Ari – July 29, 2012 07:57 AM PDT
  • Spike is the worst of the bad boys! Nothing compares with the
    pure evil, shown on Buffy, by the malefic, sarcastically and bloodthirsty Spike.

Comment by Zigg Oz – July 28, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve tried clicking around, but I still don’t see a link to the poll. If I ever find it, I’d vote for Spike.

Comment by Danielle – July 28, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sawyer! I know it’s futile, he’s up against a vampire this time. Next round, Damon will sink his fangs in Spike for revenge.

Comment by Temis – July 28, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No contest here. I just hope TVD fangirls don’t go all crazy and Spike crushes Damon in the next round.

Comment by Katie Hart (@waterfallbooks) – July 28, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I predict the finals will be the Battle of the Rabid Fans. Dean vs Damon. Damon takes it all.

Comment by Temis – July 28, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While Spike is my personal favorite badboy of all time, I predict Temis is right. :(

Comment by Sarah – July 28, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do love Damon but if it comes to it Dean is my favorite of them all. Badass monster slayer to rule them all.

Comment by Maro – July 28, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dean, my all time favorite human. Spike is my favorite vampire. I’d like to see those two duke it out.

Comment by Ari – July 29, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that it’ll be Dean vs Damon, with Dean taking it all. Although it might be too soon to count Spike out of the running.

Comment by Keren – July 28, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Let’s hope not, I don’t like Damon. My bets on Spike vs Dean, which’ll probably break my heart having to pick between them.

Comment by Lore Krajsman – July 29, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPIKE FTW
    He was one of the strongest villains on Buffy and his character also had the best redemption while still being able to stay in character. He is to me the ultimate badass. And come on he killed not one but two Slayers! That man is a legend and let’s not forget he destroyed Hellmouth/Sunnydale!

Comment by Manie – July 28, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks god for me this round is easy, as I didnt watch LOST ;) so Spike for the win :D
    He is to sexy and to bad not to win this round ;)

Comment by egli – July 28, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike beat Angel because it’s a bad boy competition. Angel’s not bad. Angelus is.

Comment by Samantha – July 28, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point.

Comment by Ros – July 28, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. “Angel” meant Angel/Angelus. Which is a false dichotomy anyway – check seasons 1 and 2 of Buffy, they almost never called soulless Angel “Angelus”, always Angel. The habit to call his soulless version/alter ego “Angelus” only started in late season 3. The poll didn’t differentiate between soulless and souled Spike, why would it do that for Angel?

Spike won simply because he’s the more popular character – there are more people who love Spike better than Angel/Angelus than the other way round. He’s won every online poll ever against Angel that I’ve ever seen and most BtVS character polls I’ve seen.

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 29, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sawyer all the way!

Comment by Ice – July 29, 2012 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPIKE *-* <3

Comment by Line – July 29, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both but i think Spike is more badass :D

Comment by dtse – July 29, 2012 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will always be Spike for me, no matter who he’s up against.

Comment by hulettwyo – July 29, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only voted for Sawyer so it wouldn’t be such a mauling. Ugh, it shouldn’t have to be like this.

Comment by KS – July 29, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BTW, the left side of the bracket is crap now. Whichever one of the vamps wins the semis should win the whole shebang. Either one is worthy.

Comment by KS – July 29, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I can choose its too hard!!!!

Comment by Dee Kottkamp – July 29, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I can’t. There’s no way. Nope. I’m offended I even have to think about this.

Comment by mawhi – July 29, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooo! This is impossible.

Comment by ALS – July 29, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, this contest has finally come up with an impossible choice.

Comment by Cass – July 29, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just CANNOT choose! I want them both!

Comment by Dawn – July 30, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes please!! Both of them – gift wrapped to go!!

Comment by Ladyhelix – July 30, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post