Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment from London 2012, Day 1?

Get More: Recaps, Sports

ryan lochteThough the glow of the eye-popping, Hollywood-inspired Opening Ceremonies was still shining bright, Day 1 of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London gave center stage back to the real stars — the athletes.

Once I’d sufficiently recovered from the mini-shock of watching top-seeded Roger Federer barely escape a tight, three-set match in the opening round of the men’s tennis competition (being held on Wimbledon’s famed grass courts), I was primed for NBC’s primetime coverage of the “duel in the pool” between Americans and friendly rivals Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte.

The Games’ first big shocker was a doozy; Phelps’ failure to medal in the 400-meter individual medley (his first time missing the Olympic podium since he was a 15-year-old unknown competing in the 2000 Sydney Games) had to be the highlight (or, more accurately, lowlight) of Day 1.

That said, watching the laid-back Lochte — did you see his revealing interview segment with John McEnroe? — swim away with Gold and emerge as the Games’ newest superstar was a thrilling reminder that in sports, nothing is a sure thing, and new champions emerge every day. Seconds after the race, two close-ups told the tale: Phelps’ stunned “did that really happen?” expression replaced by Lochte’s sheepish victory grin. I, for one, can’t wait for their rematch in the 200-meter individual coming next Thursday.

What was your favorite moment of Day 1? Were you disappointed by Phelps’ sluggish performance? Is Lochte destined for more Gold medals? Leave your comments below!–Mitch Rustad

Tags:

Comments (36)

• I’ve had fun watching the men’s gymnastics, and the women’s soccer team.

Comment by Annie – July 28, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the men’s gymnastics, especially the British gymnast who burst into tears of joy. So sweet! I have to admit, I don’t like Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps, but Lochte is such a douchecanoe I kinda hated to see him win. Oh well.

Comment by lariet50 – July 28, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^ THIS!!! Douchecanoe is awesome and I’m stealing it.

Comment by Nikki – July 28, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree, Lochte looks like a complete moron. Fantastic athlete, yet total douche. I’m not rooting for this guy.

Comment by SpyTV – July 28, 2012 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are we watching the same athletes? I’ve never seen anything to indicate that Ryan Lochte is anything but a nice guy. In fact, I was happy to see him win because I feel that Phelps has become a little too overconfident and the media is way too in love with him and the “best athelete of all time” storyline they are trying to shove down our throats. I think from here on out, the story will be quite different and I sense lots more bong hits for him in the future.

Comment by Brendan – July 29, 2012 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • HA! you’re totally right!

Comment by magali – July 29, 2012 02:52 AM PDT
          • The only proof I need that Lochte is a “douchecanoe,” as someone so eloquently phrased it earlier, is the fact that he tried to wear a diamond grill on the medal stand. Thank goodness an Olympic official stopped him from doing so. Plus, as a former swimmer (and swim coach) myself, I’ve had enough experience with talented male swimmers to know that the majority of them are extremely arrogant, and not in a good way. The better they are, they worse they are, attitude-wise.

Comment by Meg – July 29, 2012 08:18 AM PDT
      • LOL – enjoy! It’s one of my favorite “terms of endearment.”

Comment by lariet50 – July 29, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Louis Smith for Great Britain’s mens gymnastic team complete the pummel horse phenomenally and then burst into tears of joy and pride when he saw his score… Yeah, I got a little lump in my throat.

Comment by cinephilesandra – July 28, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i thought that was the best moment of the night. when smith won a bronze in the pommel horse in beijing in 2008, it was the first time a brit had won a gymnastics medal in 80 years & now to have his whole team doing so well, that must have been an incredible thing to feel :)

Comment by Margaret – July 28, 2012 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lochte winning wasn’t a shock. He’s been crushing in that event for years now. Michael Phelps stopped training for it after the 08 Olympics. I don’t know why the media expected Phelps to win a gold medal after only deciding to compete the event about 8 or 9 months ago. You all think people can train for 9 months and then win an Olympic medal? I am pretty impressed that Phelps even came in 4th. That 400 IM is so grueling. I feel exhausted even watching it.

Anyway, yeah seeing Lochte crush the Olympics competition in that 400 IM was awesome. Easily the highlight of Day 1. Nice to see that USA Swimming continues to own that event. 5 straight Olympic gold medals in 400 IM. Woo!

Comment by Mindy – July 28, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me being an Aussie, our girls winning the 4x100m freestyle relay. :D

Comment by Kissane – July 28, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was the best relay of the swimming day

Comment by MLPC – July 29, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh wow, your girls KILLED it. Congrats!

Comment by uh huh – July 29, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me it was seeing that 16 year old Chinese swimmer come back to beat the American, Biesel I think is her name, to win. Not only did the 16 year old come back, this is her first olympics, she was not the favorite, first time, already a gold medal and she shattered the world record. it was incredible!

Comment by llws88 – July 28, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brazil beating Turkey in the female volleball match. Obviously, I’m Brazilian :)

Comment by Barbie Furtado – July 28, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Hamish Bond and Eric Murray shatter the world record in the men’s pair rowing by 6 seconds! And it was only the heats. Go NZ!

Comment by Amy – July 28, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, this is the one!! It’s rare to see a world record destroyed by such a huge margin.

Comment by ben – July 28, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definately the Aussie girls winning the 4×100 relay incredible effort to claim the OR as well.

Comment by Heather (@auzzigrey) – July 28, 2012 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!! What a win.

Comment by Mel – July 29, 2012 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least we still have the WR :P

Comment by Eli – July 29, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA Volleyball! Court and beach. Both groups did outstanding! Can’t wait to see more!!

Comment by Lily – July 29, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!! Not a fan of beach but I loved watching our girls crush it again S. Korea who put up a damn good fight!

Comment by Epicurious erin – July 29, 2012 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved the USA vs. Colombia soccer game!

Comment by Bonnie – July 29, 2012 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Italy’s triple trouble on the women fencing competition.

Comment by Polly – July 29, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!! I’m from Italy,so..

Comment by Ale – July 29, 2012 03:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Australian women’s 4×100 relay was the Highlight! Aussie Pride!!

Comment by Mel – July 29, 2012 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t have a tv but would love to watch the gymnastics, any way to watch online??

Comment by Helen – July 29, 2012 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep! NBCOlympics.com is supposed to have video from all of the events. I’m planning to catch rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming there later.

Comment by lariet50 – July 29, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer in those Chicago Fire ads…. Hahaha! The gymnastics and swimming were great too!

Comment by Kim – July 29, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Brazilian medals in Judo and Swimming (when Thiago Pereira won silver and Phelps didn’t make to finish between the first 3)

Comment by carol – July 29, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA Swimming lost in Day 2 ! Congratulations France :-)

Comment by bobysmith24 – July 29, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever the thoughts on the opening ceremony – and some people loved bits others didn’t – can’t please all the people all of the time. What is winning now – and is British – is the organisation of the sport events. The swimming is amazing to watch – going off like clockwork one after the other but nothing regimental or military about it! Just wonderful! That is the best of British management and organisation… AND LONDON… I wanted to avoid it during the Olympic season but had to spend a couple of days there – and it was fantastic. Everyone was so friendly, cheerful and helpful – the Londoners, visitors and the public service people, train and bus staff – they were considerate, funnly and kind – a taxi driver helped and the charge was not high. Marvellous, marvellous London I am proud of you as someone who lives in another UK capital… Congrats to you all!

Comment by Lorisa – July 29, 2012 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So disappointed in Ray Warren and Rebecca Wilsons comments regarding Nick D’Arcy. Maybe he would have taken the punishment like a man if the punishment given was the same as that given to non-athletes. My 75yo mother received a shattered cheekbone and jaw with one hit from a local and received $4,800. It cost her $20,000 for the operations to repair. Give the kid a break…

Comment by Kerry – July 30, 2012 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me it was seeing the moment the Irish gymnast Kieran Behan take his first steps out onto the floor. He did not perform well and was knocked out after the first round with his score but his story of getting to the Olympics made me cry! Twice in his life (he is only 23) he has been confined to a wheelchair for different illnesses not sure if he would ever walk again and then he has made such an amazing job to get well enough to be an inspiration to all young Irish people out there. His story warms my heart even if he did not do well!

Comment by melanie – July 30, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post