FX Scoop: Louie Renewed For Season 4, Anger Management Promotes Martin Sheen

FX kicked off its portion of the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour Saturday with two big announcements: Louie has been renewed for a fourth season, and Martin Sheen is poised to become a series regular on son Charlie Sheen‘s Anger Management.

The elder Sheen — who would come on board full-time in the event of AM scoring a “very likely” back 90 (yes, 90) order — plays the father of Charlie’s character, Charlie Goodson. He’ll first appear at end of the show’s current first season.

“[Martin's casting will] give an extra dimension to the show and make it a multi-generational family show,” said FX prez John Landgraf. “The show will still deal with his relationship with his patients and the women in his life.” The exec admitted that the critically savaged sitcom “has more growth in it creatively.”

Other highlights from FX’s exec session…

POWERS IN PLAY | On the status of FX’s pilot for the graphic novel-inspired Powers, which didn’t pass muster the first time round, Landgraf expects to have four new scripts to look at, then make a decision on giving it a brand-new go.  “There’s a possibility that some of the original cast members might return,” he said — Jason Patric as the title character included. “But I think it’s likely that we’ll start from scratch and reshoot it.”

BRAND STRENGTH | The cabler has ordered seven more episodes of Brand X with Russell Brand.

WHAT ABOUT WILFRED? | Although he stopped short of announcing a Season 3 renewal for Wildred, Landgraf told reporters he expects the comedy to be around for “many years.”

MORE DRAMA | FX has greenlit a pilot for an American version of the Danish drama The Bridge.

1. Nick says:

Any idea if Wilfred is going to be renewed? I’m really enjoying this season so far

2. Vanessa says:

I thought I read somewhere that FX was doing some show about a dominatrix in college. Any development on that?

3. “The exec admitted that the critically savaged sitcom “has more growth in it creatively.” A decision about whether to” whether to what?!? WHETHER TO WHAT?! why keep us in suspense? lol

4. Martin says:

What about the pilot The Americans starring Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, that looked really interesting.

5. Alan says:

back 90, you’ve got to be kidding me. if it didnt have charlie sheen it probably would have been cancelled by now, star power is more important than quality these days it seems

6. TJCrinc says:

now everytime i see martin sheen, i see the illusive man and his creepy eyes. creepy.

7. Jimmy says:

Could it be they think having Daddy Sheen around might keep Charlie from imploding?

8. Britta Unfiltered says:

I assume at some point we’ll hear what’s happening with Justified and The League? I haven’t seen The League in forever. I miss it.

9. raynald doe says:

i dont see martin sheen playing a better than in the classic the west wing

10. Stacyh says:

I love this show. Martin Sheen can only make it better.

• RonH says:

It would be great if they brought Charlie’s brother Emilio Estevez on board too. He’s a great actor & Charlie, Emilio & Martin all three resemble each other. Anger Mnagement isn’t the greatest show of all time (just my opinion) But it is a really good show. I hope they keep it going. 2.5 men isn’t as good without Charlie, but it’s not horrible, it’s watchable. I’d say this upcoming season will be the end for 2.5. But I could be wrong. We’ll just have to wait it out & see I suppose.

11. Sarabi says:

Yay for Louie!

12. W says:

Looking forward to seeing Martin Sheen on Anger Management.