Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

It’s an even mix of network and cable entries in the 2012 Emmy race for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

The 2011 nominees who are competing again this year include Alec Baldwin of 30 Rock (a winner in 2008 and 2009),
Louis C.K. of Louie, and Jim Parsons of The Big Bang Theory (a winner in 2010 and 2011).

Of course, two of their opponents — Curb Your Enthusiasm‘s Larry David (most recently nominated in 2010) and Two and a Half Men‘s Jon Cryer (nominated six of the last seven years in the Supporting Actor race) – aren’t exactly newcomers to Emmy comedy competition. A newbie to this genre, though, is House of Lies‘ Don Cheadle (nominated four prior times for an Emmy, but not since an Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series nod for ER in 2003).

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actors to the podium when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (46)

• Ugh. Everyone voting for Jim Parsons probably haven’t even watched any of the other shows.

Comment by Jacob – July 28, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s probably not true, I’m sure they also enjoy Two and a Half Men. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 28, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ha ha! how true. anyone who watches Louie and still thinks Jim Parsons deserves an Emmy over Louis C.K.is bananas.

Comment by noa – July 28, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i watch all shows here except louie. I have tried multiple times to watch louie and just don’t find him funny at all, on his show or his standup. i think Don cheadle deserves it he was excellent on house of lies this past year

Comment by chris – July 29, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I thought i was the only one!! I don’t think he’s funny at all and feel like a total weirdo when everyone is praising his work and I’m just sitting there NOT GETTING IT.

Comment by Jennifer – August 4, 2012 09:05 PM PDT
    • Or maybe they (we) just have a different OPINION than you.

Comment by suzi – July 29, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have watched every show but House of Lies. And I think Jim Parsons is hysterical. I like Louis CK, but I like his stand up better than his show.

Comment by David – July 29, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve seen enough of the other shows to know Jim Parsons is better than the rest. ;)

Comment by Holly – July 29, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spot on comment!
      I was torn between Don Cheadle and Larry David.

Comment by Alexis – August 10, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like just about everyone else on Parks and Rec, Adam Scott was shafted. But Curb Your Enthusiasm was fantastic last season, so I hope it wins comedy and Larry David wins best actor.

Comment by Laura E. – July 28, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Jim Parsons and I’ve seen all the other nominees except Don Cheadke. Curb Your Enthusiasm is horrible and Larry David is a pathetic Jerry Seineld wannabe.

Comment by Betsy – July 28, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Larry David is a pathetic Jerry Seinfeld wannabe? You can’t possible believe in this. 75% of what people know as “Jerry Seinfeld” was constructed and is Larry David.

Comment by Lucas – July 28, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Without Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld wouldn’t be where he is today. It was Larry who told Jerry to get into show biz

Comment by Hibsta – July 29, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis CK should win – but probably won’t. Also, why was Jon Cryer nominated for an Emmy yet again? Several actors were more deserving of that spot including Adam Scott, Joel McHale and Garret Dillahunt.

Comment by jcshell – July 28, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adam Scott and Garret Dillahunt play supporting roles but agree completely about Joel. I liked Sheldon more when he was a supporting character.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 28, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When you say that, do you mean you think they didn’t get nominated because the voters thought the roles weren’t really leads, or that they were submitted as supporting? Because they both were submitted in the lead category this year. Just wondering.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 28, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t know that. I don’t think they should go all willy nilly with supporting roles in the lead categories and Glee in comedy and singing competitions as reality. I’d definitely put Scott and Dillahunt above everyone else they got in the supporting categories, though.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 28, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McHale was shafted (again), but isn’t Larry David just playing himself? Not sure how that is acting.

Comment by TechieTeece – July 28, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Louis CK. He is wired an wonderful in his show. Besides I’d love to see him slack-jawed at the podium if he did win!

Comment by AL – July 28, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t take this seriously since Jon Cryer was nominated over Joel Mchale.

Comment by chris – July 28, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!!!

Comment by John – July 29, 2012 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! Cryer shouldn’t have even been nominated letalone over the talented Joel Mchale.

Comment by Mary – July 29, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • adam scott

Comment by Sam – July 28, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everytime I see Jon Cryer’s name on the list of nominees instead of Joel McHale, I die a little inside. Well, I voted for Louis C.K. I was looking up the list of what episodes the actors submitted today, and he submitted Duckling, which was a great choice. I think that may improve his odds dramatically as it’s such a great episode. Totally my favorite from the whole series. He’s also nominated for best directing for that episode. I noticed he got a total of 7 personal nominations between writing, directing, acting, editing, and his special that he did. So I hope he’s getting at least one Emmy. I wonder if that’s a record for Emmy nominations. That guy is a true auteur.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 28, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis C.K.

Agree with others that Joel McHale should’ve been nomimated!

Comment by Eliza – July 28, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LD for the win. Genius.

Comment by Jay – July 28, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don Cheadle is phenomenal in HoL. Just sayin’!

Comment by Singingal – July 28, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! He gets my vote! Jim Parsons has won enough.

Comment by dude – July 29, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I concur that this isn’t Jim Parsons’ year. But not because of your head-scratching reason. It’s not about “wining enough.” It’s about being deserving of the statuette, whether it’s their 1st win or their 10th. And Jim Parsons just wasn’t on top of his brilliant comedic game the past season as Sheldon Cooper. Heard he is being an absolute delight as Elwood P. Dowd on Broadway, though.

Comment by Who Built the Pyramids? – July 29, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If 2 emmys for jim is enough. Then your saying that 2 strait win for Modern family is enough, and 4-5 strait for mad men is enough. right?

Comment by will towne – August 16, 2012 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I not only like Jim Parsons, I’m quite sure I’m crazy in love with him. That said, I’m still in touch with reality and I believe he shouldn’t win this year. Nominated, yes (because despite the low points of his acting this season, his comedic brilliance still shone in some episodes). As far as winning is concerned, no. His Emmy submission (The Werewolf Transformation) is one of his most hammy, over-the-top, unnatural performances of the season, and I’m confused as to why he submitted that. The Hawking Excitation would’ve been better: despite the horrifying French Maid costume (oh, writers, no. Sheldon is no caricature. STOP PUTTING HIM IN THOSE DUMBASS COSTUMES), he dominated the episode with his usual understated humor, and there’s the added bonus of empathy from the old farts of the Academy for Sheldon as he was being picked on by his friends (as with last year’s submission, The Agreement Dissection). Fans have been missing the detached, deadpan, poker-faced Sheldon Cooper humor of Seasons 1 through 3. Jim, bring it back, baby.

Comment by Cara M. D. – July 28, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved season 1 Sheldon and while I still love him I agree that he’s just not the same as he was in earlier seasons. Now while I agree that Jim Parsons is extremely talented and deserves to be recognized for that talent I wish he wasn’t taking a spot away from someone else. Granted it’s not Parson’s fault that the emmy voters and nomination committee have pickles for brains.

Comment by Mary – July 29, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snubbed: James Roday for Psych.

Comment by Kevin – July 29, 2012 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this snubbed for six years

Comment by chris – July 29, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • james roday for psych and joel mchale for community, 2 men who deserve nomminations more than anybody on this list. every year i lose a little more faith in the emmys

Comment by Alan – July 29, 2012 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For God’s bloody sake. Broad comedy wins on TVLine again. Retard-comedy for the masses, yay for TBBT… I voted for Louis C. K.

Comment by Christoffer Waage – July 29, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis or Larry. Playing an exaggerated version of yourself IS acting, and damn hard acting at that.
    Special mention should go to Alec Baldwin though. Even with his expressed interest in quitting, he’s never phoned in his performance. True pro.

Comment by Sam – July 29, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Jim Parsons! Best actor in the category.

Comment by nick1372 – July 29, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone but jon cryer

Comment by Lena – July 29, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just like anyone but mayim bialik in the supporting actress category. this is how much we HATE these “actors” who do nothing but downgrade the landscape of the comedic acting genre with their immensely disgusting overacting.

Comment by Who Built the Pyramids? – July 29, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim Parsons FTW¡¡ Bazinga¡¡

Comment by Carmen – August 2, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Difficult one. I think the one who showed more talent was Don Cheadle, but as for comedic timing and skills, my vote goes for Louis C.K.

Comment by Nairdan – August 7, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louie should win. It really saddens me to see Jim Parsons winning this poll by so much.

Comment by Bender – August 25, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My man Louis CK should win this.

Comment by lucaltair815 – August 28, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim parsons is clearly

Comment by ZMM – November 8, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim parsons has to be one of the best actors on tv right now If not the best and extremely underpaid as he only makes 40.000 an episode where in two and half men angus jones makes 300.000 per episode makes me sick I like angus jones alot but his script per episode compared to jims is like one word to jims every 30 words if not more lol

Comment by ZMM – November 8, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post