Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

It’s an even mix of network and cable entries in the 2012 Emmy race for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

The 2011 nominees who are competing again this year include Alec Baldwin of 30 Rock (a winner in 2008 and 2009),
Louis C.K. of Louie, and Jim Parsons of The Big Bang Theory (a winner in 2010 and 2011).

Of course, two of their opponents — Curb Your Enthusiasm‘s Larry David (most recently nominated in 2010) and Two and a Half Men‘s Jon Cryer (nominated six of the last seven years in the Supporting Actor race) — aren’t exactly newcomers to Emmy comedy competition. A newbie to this genre, though, is House of Lies‘ Don Cheadle (nominated four prior times for an Emmy, but not since an Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series nod for ER in 2003).

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actors to the podium when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jacob says:

Ugh. Everyone voting for Jim Parsons probably haven’t even watched any of the other shows.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

That’s probably not true, I’m sure they also enjoy Two and a Half Men. :)

• noa says:

ha ha! how true. anyone who watches Louie and still thinks Jim Parsons deserves an Emmy over Louis C.K.is bananas.

• chris says:

i watch all shows here except louie. I have tried multiple times to watch louie and just don’t find him funny at all, on his show or his standup. i think Don cheadle deserves it he was excellent on house of lies this past year

• Jennifer says:

I thought i was the only one!! I don’t think he’s funny at all and feel like a total weirdo when everyone is praising his work and I’m just sitting there NOT GETTING IT.

• suzi says:

Or maybe they (we) just have a different OPINION than you.

• David says:

I have watched every show but House of Lies. And I think Jim Parsons is hysterical. I like Louis CK, but I like his stand up better than his show.

• Holly says:

I’ve seen enough of the other shows to know Jim Parsons is better than the rest. ;)

• Alexis says:

Spot on comment!
      I was torn between Don Cheadle and Larry David.

2. Laura E. says:

Like just about everyone else on Parks and Rec, Adam Scott was shafted. But Curb Your Enthusiasm was fantastic last season, so I hope it wins comedy and Larry David wins best actor.

3. Betsy says:

I voted for Jim Parsons and I’ve seen all the other nominees except Don Cheadke. Curb Your Enthusiasm is horrible and Larry David is a pathetic Jerry Seineld wannabe.

• Lucas says:

Larry David is a pathetic Jerry Seinfeld wannabe? You can’t possible believe in this. 75% of what people know as “Jerry Seinfeld” was constructed and is Larry David.

• Hibsta says:

Without Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld wouldn’t be where he is today. It was Larry who told Jerry to get into show biz

4. jcshell says:

Louis CK should win – but probably won’t. Also, why was Jon Cryer nominated for an Emmy yet again? Several actors were more deserving of that spot including Adam Scott, Joel McHale and Garret Dillahunt.

• TigerNightmare says:

Adam Scott and Garret Dillahunt play supporting roles but agree completely about Joel. I liked Sheldon more when he was a supporting character.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

When you say that, do you mean you think they didn’t get nominated because the voters thought the roles weren’t really leads, or that they were submitted as supporting? Because they both were submitted in the lead category this year. Just wondering.

• TigerNightmare says:

I didn’t know that. I don’t think they should go all willy nilly with supporting roles in the lead categories and Glee in comedy and singing competitions as reality. I’d definitely put Scott and Dillahunt above everyone else they got in the supporting categories, though.

5. TechieTeece says:

McHale was shafted (again), but isn’t Larry David just playing himself? Not sure how that is acting.

6. AL says:

I voted Louis CK. He is wired an wonderful in his show. Besides I’d love to see him slack-jawed at the podium if he did win!

7. chris says:

I can’t take this seriously since Jon Cryer was nominated over Joel Mchale.

8. Sam says:

adam scott

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

Everytime I see Jon Cryer’s name on the list of nominees instead of Joel McHale, I die a little inside. Well, I voted for Louis C.K. I was looking up the list of what episodes the actors submitted today, and he submitted Duckling, which was a great choice. I think that may improve his odds dramatically as it’s such a great episode. Totally my favorite from the whole series. He’s also nominated for best directing for that episode. I noticed he got a total of 7 personal nominations between writing, directing, acting, editing, and his special that he did. So I hope he’s getting at least one Emmy. I wonder if that’s a record for Emmy nominations. That guy is a true auteur.

10. Eliza says:

Louis C.K.

Agree with others that Joel McHale should’ve been nomimated!

11. Jay says:

LD for the win. Genius.

12. Singingal says:

Don Cheadle is phenomenal in HoL. Just sayin’!

• dude says:

Agreed! He gets my vote! Jim Parsons has won enough.

• Who Built the Pyramids? says:

I concur that this isn’t Jim Parsons’ year. But not because of your head-scratching reason. It’s not about “wining enough.” It’s about being deserving of the statuette, whether it’s their 1st win or their 10th. And Jim Parsons just wasn’t on top of his brilliant comedic game the past season as Sheldon Cooper. Heard he is being an absolute delight as Elwood P. Dowd on Broadway, though.

• will towne says:

If 2 emmys for jim is enough. Then your saying that 2 strait win for Modern family is enough, and 4-5 strait for mad men is enough. right?

13. Cara M. D. says:

I not only like Jim Parsons, I’m quite sure I’m crazy in love with him. That said, I’m still in touch with reality and I believe he shouldn’t win this year. Nominated, yes (because despite the low points of his acting this season, his comedic brilliance still shone in some episodes). As far as winning is concerned, no. His Emmy submission (The Werewolf Transformation) is one of his most hammy, over-the-top, unnatural performances of the season, and I’m confused as to why he submitted that. The Hawking Excitation would’ve been better: despite the horrifying French Maid costume (oh, writers, no. Sheldon is no caricature. STOP PUTTING HIM IN THOSE DUMBASS COSTUMES), he dominated the episode with his usual understated humor, and there’s the added bonus of empathy from the old farts of the Academy for Sheldon as he was being picked on by his friends (as with last year’s submission, The Agreement Dissection). Fans have been missing the detached, deadpan, poker-faced Sheldon Cooper humor of Seasons 1 through 3. Jim, bring it back, baby.

• Mary says:

I loved season 1 Sheldon and while I still love him I agree that he’s just not the same as he was in earlier seasons. Now while I agree that Jim Parsons is extremely talented and deserves to be recognized for that talent I wish he wasn’t taking a spot away from someone else. Granted it’s not Parson’s fault that the emmy voters and nomination committee have pickles for brains.

14. Kevin says:

Snubbed: James Roday for Psych.

15. Alan says:

james roday for psych and joel mchale for community, 2 men who deserve nomminations more than anybody on this list. every year i lose a little more faith in the emmys

16. For God’s bloody sake. Broad comedy wins on TVLine again. Retard-comedy for the masses, yay for TBBT… I voted for Louis C. K.

17. Sam says:

Louis or Larry. Playing an exaggerated version of yourself IS acting, and damn hard acting at that.
    Special mention should go to Alec Baldwin though. Even with his expressed interest in quitting, he’s never phoned in his performance. True pro.

18. nick1372 says:

Definitely Jim Parsons! Best actor in the category.

19. Lena says:

anyone but jon cryer

• Who Built the Pyramids? says:

just like anyone but mayim bialik in the supporting actress category. this is how much we HATE these “actors” who do nothing but downgrade the landscape of the comedic acting genre with their immensely disgusting overacting.

20. Carmen says:

Jim Parsons FTW¡¡ Bazinga¡¡

21. Nairdan says:

Difficult one. I think the one who showed more talent was Don Cheadle, but as for comedic timing and skills, my vote goes for Louis C.K.

22. Bender says:

Louie should win. It really saddens me to see Jim Parsons winning this poll by so much.

23. lucaltair815 says:

My man Louis CK should win this.

24. ZMM says:

Jim parsons is clearly

25. ZMM says:

Jim parsons has to be one of the best actors on tv right now If not the best and extremely underpaid as he only makes 40.000 an episode where in two and half men angus jones makes 300.000 per episode makes me sick I like angus jones alot but his script per episode compared to jims is like one word to jims every 30 words if not more lol