Fall TV Preview

Scoop: Body of Proof Targets Mark Valley as Dana Delany's New Leading Man

Body of Proof has its sights on a Human Target — as in Mark Valley — to fill one of two new roles being added for Season 3.

Sources tell TVLine that Valley, whose TV credits also include Fringe, Boston Legal and, most recently, Harry’s Law, has signed on to play the series regular role of Det. Tommy Sullivan, a onetime love interest of Megan’s who transfers to Philadelphia to win her back. The rugged cop will give his strong-willed ex a flirty hard time as they work together to solve cases.

“Things between them are not good,” a chuckling Dana Delany told me of the characters’ dynamic upon their reunion, explaining that “he was a bit of a rascal [when they dated],” eventually leading to their break-up.

RELATED | Body Of Proof Boss Explains Cast Shake-Up, Reveals New Players to Be Added

Delany, when I spoke to her, alluded to having a gangbusters screen test with “a personal favorite of mine, somebody I’ve worked with in the past,” as the show went about casting Sullivan. That connective tissue, it turns out: She and Valley both starred on the 2001 primetime sudser Pasadena.

Also being cast for Body of Proof, which is writing off the characters of Peter (played by Nicholas Bishop), Bud (John Carrol Lynch) and Sam (Sonja Sohn): the role of Det. Adam Schaeffer, a smart (and smart-mouthed) rookie who routinely gets ahead of himself, causing him a bit of trouble.

Comments (65)

• I can get behind this casting!

Comment by tvaddict – July 28, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO NO NO NO!!!! I hate Mark Valley. I have since his days on Days of our Lives. His acting is like watching a piece of wood that can talk. :-( Please bring back Nick Bishop!!!

Comment by Kvivik – July 28, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Mark. I’m a fan of his. A block of wood he is NOT. He plays his characters with a natural charm and charisma. Dana Delaney had NO sparks at all with that other actor, Nick Bishop. They were forced.
        It looked they were just reading their lines. She needs someone like Mark to get her serious character revved up.

Comment by bklyngirl – July 29, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously…..really?? Have you SEEN Human Target or Keen Eddie. Clearly you’ve not watched him since Days!

Comment by Karyn – July 31, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVE MARK VALLEY! Personally I think he’s a GREAT actor with a lot of potential and really he is no BRICK! He’s Charming and very Talented! His role in Human Target is absolutely wonderful and it suits him! I jus have to say he is a very good actor and one of my favorites!!!

Comment by Rut – December 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him but anytime he’s part of the main cast, it gets cancelled.

Comment by sam – July 28, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not true…
      boston legal?

Comment by Michele Bernardes – July 28, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True but the creator and network decided to end it with half a season. As for Fringe, he was in 7 episodes but credited in 12. Main cast (as in series regular) would be all or most episodes. I don’t say this as a negative towards him, it’s just an observation. Unfortunately quite a few actors have the same problem, it’s not really them, it just happens to be the shows they’re on. Kristoffer Polaha and Britt Robertson have suffered through the same thing.

Comment by sam – July 28, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He was the only reason I watched any show he was in. I am ecstatic, and looking forward to the show, this fall.

Comment by prish – July 28, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So with you! I don’t watch Body of Proof, but I will if Mark Valley is on it. I was really bummed when they screwed up Human Target by bringing in that Pucci woman.

Comment by Templar – July 29, 2012 08:35 AM PDT
          • I will check it out now with Mark on there. The previous male character on there was lackluster, who had no tension with Dana Delaney.

Comment by bklyngirl – July 29, 2012 04:55 PM PDT
    • He was part of Fringe’s main cast, back in season one where it still brought in 9 million viewers.

Comment by Rrrrrr – July 28, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not true…Harry’s Law didn’t have a chane before he went to that show. It was hanging by a thread. And, almost all shows get cancelled. Networks barely give any show a chance. The odds of landing a show for any actor that doesn’t get cancelled are not good.

Comment by Karyn – July 31, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very true. Valley was on Fringe and it’s still on the air at least for one last season. Wmily’s reasons and Target lasted 2 years. Boston Legal he was with 2004-2007 and it continued on for another year after he left. ER 2000-2003 and it ended in 2009 6 ears later. Most shows cancelled aren’t due to actors but to the Powers that be that run them. Give a show 3 eps and if it’s ratings are to your liking cancel it especially FOX which is known for cancelling good shows Human Target, John Doe, Firefly and New Amsterdam and keeping T&A shows Sarah Connor, show based on Too Fast/ Too Furious movies, etc. or one note shows such as Prison Break which spent 4 years breaking out of prison.

Comment by Tawrens – August 22, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I want a will they/won’t they procedural, I’ll watch Castle. No way the show survives all these changes. Getting rid of Peter? His relationship (sexual or not) was the heart of Body of Proof. Hope you land a better gig, Dana Delaney.

Comment by Leah – July 28, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, the heart and soul of the show were Bud and Samantha. I am heartbroken about their leaving the show. Valley means a new beginning, though.

Comment by prish – July 28, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Mark Valley is the new Robert Urich. By that I mean, he has the good fortune to be cast in a myriad of shows because he’s a decent actor and should the shows fail, he doesn’t take the fall for its demise. Somebody will just dust him off and try him again. And I’m not saying that to be sarcastic. I’m being genuine here with my thoughts. He deserves success and maybe this is the right vehicle. I’m only sad that John Carrol Lynch and Sonja Sohn are being written out.

Comment by Peter Anthony Holder – July 28, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark was on Boston Legal for 3 years. Was also on Human Target. Glad he is joining this show as I didn’t like the guy that played Peter as I was really hoping that Mark would do this but he was doing Human Target and Harry’s Law both of which are good shows that should not have ended but that is another story.

I really like Sonja Sohn hate to see her go same for John Carrol Lynch really like him too.

Peter is okay to leave didn’t really like him.

Curtis is awesome.

Comment by Brad – July 28, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark was also great in Keen Eddie……like this role, he was a NYPD transfered to London. It was great!

Comment by Karyn – July 31, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even though it was a retread I liked it. Keen Eddie 2003-2004 was a copy of Dempsey and Makepeace 1985-1986. Dempsey a NYPD detective undercovers corruption in the NYPD and he is sent to England to partner with a pretty blonde detective. Jim Dempsey, a New York cop, angers a powerful mob figure and is sent to London for safekeeping. Dempsey (Michael Brandon) is partnered with Harriet Makepeace (Glynis Barber), a British detective who’s not too sure about her new partner.

Keen Eddie
        Eddie (Mark Valley) is a Detective for the NYPD who just can’t catch a break. He just had a drug bust go horribly wrong and to top that, his girlfriend has left him. Eddie is forced to go to London after learning that the dealers from the bust are hiding somewhere in the city.

Sienna Miller was Eddie’s blonde but she wasn’t his partner but the daughter of his landlady.

Comment by Tawrens – August 22, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No please no.

Comment by greysfan – July 28, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I can now get ready to kiss this show good bye. Nothing against Mark Valley or Body of Proof, but he has not had the best of luck lately.

Comment by Daniel – July 28, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Valley looks just like the actor who played Peter! This is the most pointless recasting ever, and that they’re throwing out Megan’s more compelling romance right now for this thing makes it even more pointless.

ABC needs to stop fixing things that aren’t broken, like the cast. The real repairs need to come with the poor writer’s room, which doesn’t understand basic things like government office security, character quirks and media management (Megan’s mother would’ve never been hammered like that by the local media one day before an election!). Also, not every character needs romance!

Comment by Mantra720 – July 28, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree the writing is kinda the weak point of the show; in relation to other procedural type shows it’s simply not as compelling. As for the cast, I would’ve kept Peter, Bud and Sam; axed Curtis, Ethan and the daughter, and added Jamie Bamber’s character to the regular cast. That said, I can get behind Mark Valley as Delany’s love interest.

Comment by ChrisGa – July 28, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is hotter than the actor who played Peter! Peter was no big deal. He sucked with Dana Delaney.

Comment by bklyngirl – July 29, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously they’re trying to “fix” the show in order to get more viewers. Unfortunately the real problem is that DD’s character is intensely annoying. By the end of the season I was so sick of how she was always inserting herself in situations where she had no business & her insistence that she always knows more than everyone, including where she has no training or experience. Unless they change her personality, the show’s doomed.

Comment by Karla – July 28, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just once I wish they would stop fixing something that’s not broken, Bud, Sam and Peter are great! Another good show doomed!

Comment by Norma – July 28, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you! I was excited when I heard BOP got renewed, but then I found out that they got rid of all my favorite characters. I loved the relationship between Peter and Megan…she really needed him to push her to be a better person. I also loved the relationship between Bud and Megan…she brought out his softer side. Why give the show another chance, if they’re just going to turn it into a whole new show?

Comment by zaza – July 29, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t the actor playing Bud get hire for a different show, and they had to lose his character? A bummer for this show, for sure.

Comment by prish – July 28, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No he was let go and then got another job.

Comment by Renee – July 29, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • John Caroll-Lynch amd Nicholas Bishop both stepped down. It was Sonja Sohn who was let go.

Comment by nick1372 – July 29, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not true. All 3 were let go.

Comment by Fedup – October 18, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait! Adore this show.

Comment by Norah – July 28, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, yay! I’ve loved him since Days of Our Lives! He was the best Jack – so much better than bumbling, silly Matt Ashford.

Comment by Chloe – July 28, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too believe the show will be canx before the holiday break. DD’s caricature of a tough doc is getting old, as is she. She’s 56, a pretty good looking 56 but still. Stiletto heels, tight dresses, tons of make up to make her look ten years younger, always being right, is getting very boring and totally unbelievable. DD is a good actress, but her role is unsuited to her. Getting rid of the other three folks will hurt the show. The only person that should have been removed was the whiny little girl that played her daughter. She couldn’t act to save her life.

Comment by Rusty – July 29, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA. DD is Sela Ward, but without the charm.

Comment by Templar – July 29, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It can’t be canceled by the holiday break. It isn’t on the air until after that!

Comment by nick1372 – July 29, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so totally in for next season but agree with others poor Mark seems to have the kiss of death with him. But, I will watch anything he is in……those blue eyes…..!!

Comment by Ethel – July 29, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My favorite will always be Keen Eddie. That show should NOT have been cancelled.

Comment by Templar – July 29, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed!! Keen Eddie was ahead of it’s time. Best show! Mark was brilliant in it!

Comment by Karyn – July 31, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Triple agreed!

Comment by Jacquie Brethen – September 22, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark Valley is a good actor. But he joined Harry’s Law, in season 2, which was already in troubled waters. He was great in Human Target. It got a second season which was really good too. But some people did not like the changes made in the second season. Basically, almost all shows — except those that are a runaway success in season 1– get a major revamp in season 2. That’s how TV shows are made anymore! So like many others, Valley too is finding jobs in shaky, season 2 shows. The boat was rocky to start with — not because of him.
      This role is well suited for him; if the writing is good his role could be interesting.

Comment by Sue – August 6, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof barely got renewed and it is obvious the producers are trying to reboot the show. The actors they let go are great character actors and will find new work quickly. Mark Valley did a fine job on Fringe and in Human Target (before that got retooled to death.) I am willing to give the new format a chance. Let’s see what happens to the ratings.

Comment by tvdiva – July 29, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, I think this might get me to give the show another chance. I tried it out when it first aired but I really didn’t like the supporting cast…so this is actually good news to me! It also helps that I like Mark Valley, he plays this sort of role well.

Comment by kellyk – July 29, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Peter back! I´ll give it a chance but I don´t think I´ll continue watching without him :(

Comment by Patty – July 29, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the supporting actors they let go. I really can’t stand the hospital staff supporting actors they kept. And I can’t stand Mark Valley. With all of that said, I doubt seriously that I will watch more than an episode or two.

Comment by MaryAnn – July 29, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish idiot Fox TPTB hadn’t cancelled Human Target but if you want to save Body from being cancelled get rid of the no talent kiss of death for shows aka Jeri Ryan

Comment by Tawrens – July 29, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I liked the previous cast including Peter, I LOVE Mark Valley and have missed him since Human Target was prematurely canceled. That was such a great show. I love Body of Proof and look forward to seeing him on it.

Comment by Jennifer – July 30, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’am still not over Human Target getting cancelled and it’s been over a year. Worst decision made to get rid of a great show.

Best show on TV…..thank god for Fanfiction. The stories for Human Target are still going strong there.

Comment by Jenny – July 31, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still sad that Human Target got canceled. That was a great show. I’m sorry that they’re getting rid of Bud and Sam because I really liked them. I’ve read that John Caroll Lynch has gotten a new job, but what about Sonja?

Comment by Bella – July 30, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Human Target and was mad when it got cancelled. I like Mark Valley but he won’t get me to watch Body of Proof because I can’t stand Dana Delaney.

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please just give Mark Valley his own show again.

Comment by W – July 30, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now there is a good idea!!!!

Comment by Jenny – July 31, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…make him a covert operative, with some kind of interesting twist – he would be great! I think it will happen, sooner or later.

Comment by Bill – August 9, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MARK VALLEY….YES, YES, YES!

Comment by Jenny – July 31, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I both loved Human Target and hated having it retooled, didn’t need the rich woman and hated when it was canceled. I think Mark will be great in Body of Proof. It seems I am in the minority that loves the hospital staff and am thrilled that so far they are still there. Don’t really care about the kid, she doesn’t make Dana’s character more interesting as I enjoy how she deals with her cases and her peers the best. Could care less how the teens like her. In Castle I do like his daughter and do care how they interact together but here, not so much.

Comment by Lana – July 31, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a big mistake for BOP are the writters that stupid or what

Comment by Allison Barry (@SheCasNao) – August 1, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sorry to hear that Bud, Peter, and Sam as I liked them all. And now we won’t get to know whether Bud has a son or a daughter! I do like Mark Valley, though, and was delighted to hear that Body of Proof had been renewed. My friends and I will be watching,

Comment by Karen119 – August 1, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is great! I’m a big fan and I think he just needs that right series to showcase his talent. I’ve loved all the shows he’s been in except for Harry’s Law. Didn’t like his character. Loved him in both Human Target or Keen Eddie. I was sad when they canceled Human Target. That was a great show. I think he and Dana Delaney will be great together. I’m shipping them already. :)

Comment by XtiV – August 2, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad that to hear that Bud, Peter and Sam are gone. They were great characters. The problem with Body of Proof as I see it is Megan’s personality–whiny, superior, self-righteous, often in a bad mood with an always has-to-be-right attitude and chip on her shoulder quickly gets old and very tiresome. That’s what they really need to work on, IMO….

Comment by anonymous – August 4, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny but for me the problem is summed up in two words Jeri Ryan. Every show she’s been on has flatlined. Ask any Star Trek Voyager fan that the show was watchable until Braga’s girlfriend 7 of DD came on the show and the writing went from good to pure T&A. She was on X-Files it cancelled. She took on the asnine character of a lwyer quitting law to teach school and Boston Public got cancelled. Shark had her in it’s cast and was cancelled. Starting to see a trend here. Now she’s on body of proof and they’re scrambling to save the show from cancellation. How about getting rid of the annoying no talent Ryan and just watch the ratings go up.

Comment by Tawrens – August 4, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love mark valley human target was awsome and murphys law cant wait to see him on body of proof love this show with mark valley joining the cast it will be even better
    ya

Comment by Debra Mitchell – August 11, 2012 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch Body of Proof now just because Mark Valley is in it. . I loved him in human target and wished they had not cancel it..Look forward to the new seson

Comment by ann – August 20, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Valley will be an exciting addition to Body of Proof. I liked the oddball nature of most of the characters. Stop picking on Jeri Ryan, she adds a grounding element to the show. Dana Delaney’s character has evolved some and I personally am looking forward to the new season.

I too was annoyed by the addition of the billion heiress to the Human Target cast. Not the actor, the character, Mrs. Pucci. Stupid storyline. Took away the testosterone factor.

Since Mark and Dana have worked together before I think they I’ll be great together. He is a little younger in real life but she’s still a hottie!.

Wishing the show success!

Comment by Jacquie Brethen – September 22, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring a new love interest for kate also, she needs one.

Comment by Kamlita goven – October 26, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post