AMC Cancels The Killing After Two Seasons 'After Much Deliberation' [Updated]

Get More: Cancellations, News

the killing cancelledAMC has euthanized The Killing.

The cabler has opted against ordering a third season of the mystery drama, which sparked a backlash after it failed to resolve the Rosie Larsen murder at the end of Season 1.

“After much deliberation, we’ve come to the difficult decision not to renew The Killing for a third season,” said the network in a statement. “AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast.”

RELATEDThe Killing Season 2 Finale Recap: Who Killed Rosie Larsen? Well…

The series, based on a Danish TV whodunit called Forbrydelsen, debuted to critical acclaim. The first season earned Emmy nominations for stars Mireille Enos, who played a detective investigating Rosie’s killing, and Michelle Forbes, who portrayed the dead girl’s mother. But when the Season 1 finale came and went without any resolution to the murder mystery, fans and critics alike made their displeasure known – and the drama never recovered.

The show’s Season 2 finale drew 1.5 million viewers, down 17 percent from the premiere and down 35 percent from the final episode of its freshman year. Critical support, too, seriously dropped in the second season. (At least we found out who killed Rosie.)

RELATED | Joel Kinnaman Weighs in on a Killing Season 3: ‘It Would Have to Reboot Itself’

The Killing made stars of Enos and Joel Kinnaman, who played her partner Stephen Holder, and the show was a springboard to the big screen for both of them. Kinnaman will play the titular role in the upcoming Robocop reboot, and Enos recently wrapped the Ryan Gosling-led Gangster Squad. She’ll also appear opposite Brad Pitt in the zombie-horror flick World War Z, scheduled for release next year.

Comments (89)

• Noooooooo

Comment by rainer – July 27, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was a great show with fantastic acting and script but I am not getting season 2 on DVD because i’m tired of shows that just go on and on – surely they could have solved the murder in the first season and then had a second murder for the next season?

Comment by Brett – August 14, 2012 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! And since DISH cancelled AMC I double agree.

Comment by sly311 – August 18, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree with this. I was hoping they’d solve it in the first and come back with a new mystery.

Comment by Stacey F – September 30, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto… NOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!

Comment by mb – October 10, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS awesome show, plots and actors..what’s wrong with you guys!!!!

Comment by diana catalanotto – September 11, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked this show. It’s a shame. Wonder if they had been nominated for an Emmy if AMC would’ve canceled it.

Comment by mary – July 27, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that’s disappointing.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 27, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid AMC We need quality shows on TV and you took of one of the best.

Comment by Terry – July 27, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know, every time a show is cancelled you can count on someone writing something like this. If shows don’t get watched they get cancelled. I know it sucks when a show you love is cancelled, but it’s not the end of the world.

Comment by theduck – July 27, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know right? Why would somebody on a television website be disappointed about a television show being cancelled?

Comment by RyanC – July 27, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even ones that SUCKED! Seriously, if you liked this, you really need to watch better television. The writing on this was AWFUL! I feel sorry for the cast but Veena Sud shouldn’t be allowed a job in Hollywood EVER again.

Comment by KevyB – July 28, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • eh…

Comment by xskip – July 27, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised. The way it ended could have gone either way…as a conclusion or a beginning. The first season was a little better than the second but I was looking forward to seeing what they were going to do in a third. :)

Comment by Kim R – July 27, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank the heavens there won’t be a Season 3. About what???

Comment by sly311 – August 18, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and that is what you get for not solving the mystery in season 1 and then jerking people around for a whole nother season and then making it seem like everyone killed her when the aunt should have just opened her mouth and said she did it on day one and save us all the trouble :)

Comment by Emily – July 27, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad! I really enjoyed it. But at least they resolved Rosie’s murder before they ended it.

Comment by carolinagirl – July 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… This is extremely disappointing, but not such a surprise.

Comment by Shoof – July 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprised, the showrunners did not keep their promises on revealing the killer early on and leading into a new mystery. They led us all around the mulberry bush and then took a cheap easy way out. Shame AMC let Veena Sud go off track.

Comment by Amilah – July 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amilah,

It was AMC who steered Veena Sud off track.
      Do you actually think showrunners have final approval about
      how many episodes are required to tell a story ?
      Who set up the 13 episode season format ?
      Not the showrunner.
      The Danish show took 20 episodes to solve this case.
      AMC stretched it out to 26.

Comment by Sluggo – July 27, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stretched it out is exactly what they did.

Comment by MikeyM – July 27, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But like, this was a 13 episode ADAPTATION! If a film is based off a book, they cut stuff for time. That’s what this needed to do!

Comment by Guest – July 28, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t get a chance to sit through season 2. I was turned off by the slow pace. Did it end with a cliffhanger like season 1?

Comment by Franklin – July 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nah, they revealed the killer(s). Richmond’s #2 Jamie beat and chased Rosie through the woods and Aunt Terri drove the car into the lake

Comment by Mína – July 27, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does everyone type so slow that they correct a typo that I didn’t even get to see? Is anyone here posting with their thumbs?

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. The first season was good, but the second season was so incredibly stupid that this really comes as no surprise.

Comment by YowzaPowza – July 27, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed only about losing Mireille Enos & Joel Kinnaman.

Comment by Emily – July 27, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^This. I just loved the 2 of them and would have watched another season just for them. Hope they both end up somewhere great.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 27, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL

Comment by Rachel – July 27, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Typical move. Get rid of the good shows so we can be taken over by reality garbage.

Comment by Robin G. – July 27, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, The Walking Dead. I wouldn’t worry about AMC filling up their programming with reality garbage. Even The Pitch, while being reality, is a really good show.

Comment by Troy – July 27, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure how I feel about this. Kinda bummed out, I guess, but kinda not surprised. There were a lot of things I felt this show could have done to make it better, and it times it really frustrated me, but I felt like it had potential to be really good. I probably would have stuck with a third season.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 27, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised… the original Danish version was soooo much better.

Comment by Mittemus – July 27, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. Season 2 of the Danish version is even better than the first. They are doing one more season and they are done.

Comment by crochetowl – July 27, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It´s sad. I guess I´ll get over it but I would´ve liked at least one more season. See what could have happened next.

Comment by Che – July 27, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure he knows it was a typo. 100 people don’t need to tell him.

Comment by Daniel – July 27, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say I’m surprised, they really messed up by dragging the Larsen murder over 2 seasons. Loved the first season though just wished they wrapped things up in 13 episodes rather than 26

Comment by Hermes – July 27, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. I watched about 6 hrs of the first season then quit it altogether because it was a waste of my time. I knew it was going to drag on forever and you probably wouldn’t know who the killer was by the season finale. I was right. Bye bye

Comment by Velvet – July 27, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising, they jerked fans around with the reveal of the killer; the execution of that situation is what did them in.
    Anyhow, the third/final series of the original (and far superior) Danish version “Forbrydelsen,” comes out September 30th! Not sure when the BBC will get around to subtitling and airing it, but I managed to watch Forbrydelsen II ahead of time because some enterprising individual translated, captioned and uploaded it online himself. Hope that guy is still at work!

Comment by Saint Alicia – July 27, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course it was cancelled. They screwed all their Dish Network viewers out of seeing it. (I know, that didn’t happen until after the finale)

Comment by Rich – July 27, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm… I don’t know. I’m not really sad about this news.

Comment by Kalee – July 27, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it but I am not surprised. They misled the audience into thinking the murder would be solved in season 1. Then they said early in season 2 with a new mystery starting to go into season 3. Obviously someone told them there wasn’t going to be a season 3 because they drug this out the entire second season and gave us little on the new murder. So, I didn’t expect a renewal after that. It’s too bad, I loved the actors and liked the show. Too bad the showrunner is an idiot.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – July 27, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and the ending they used served as a series finale pretty well so that was another reason not to expect a renewal. All in all we got a decent story start to finish so I can’t complain.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – July 27, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • unfortunate but not surprising. the way they marketed the show – as a season long murder mystery – alienated a lot of people when it wasn’t a season long murder mystery. bummer anyway, as the cast was excellent.

Comment by kate – July 27, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s fine. At the very least it put Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman on the map, and if their current IMDb credits are any indication, we’ll be seeing plenty more of them.

Comment by DL – July 27, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with a lot of the people on here. I really enjoyed season 1. I tried watching season 2, but it just got so convoluted that I honestly stopped caring about who killed Rosie. I never even finished watching it.

Comment by Jen – July 27, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed.

Comment by Pamela – July 27, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! That’s a disappointing. Had the Larsen case been resolved in season 1 and they had followed with a new murder mystery every season, this could’ve very easily last 4-5 seasons I think. Oh well, it was good (if not insanely drawn out) while it lasted. It had some fantastic performances, good atmosphere and a fantastic killer reveal. It was good while it lasted. I hope we’ll see more quality murder mysteries soon (AMC — again, Showtime, HBO and FX would be ideal)!

Comment by Sam – July 27, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Break the mould, get cancelled. Thank you cable for becoming the new network TV.

Comment by Floodlit World – July 27, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Kristina – July 27, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In a cruel irony, even though The Killing has been cancelled, AMC is refusing to let the cast know until next year.

Comment by RAGGEDT – July 27, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good! The Killing watered down AMC’s capital becoming an alternate to HBO and Showtime, one quality show at a time. There are too many other options to spend time on than a show that failed as miserably as this show did. The Killing became a disaster, creatively bankrupt, embarrassing and disappointing.

Many of us did not just hate the first season’s ambiguous ending. It’s a story about process, not a definitive resolution. The Killing actively drove you away, with its obvious “red herring” formula that was violently shoe-horned into nearly every episode, as if off an assembly line. People were saying, “let’s wait for the finale” to finish this procedural show that is not even network pablum. Showrunner Veena Sud’s insistence that she is creating high art, no one can stand. It sure is different, just not in a good way.

Comment by Fox Mulder – July 27, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I respect your opinion and you are very entitled to it, but please don’t phrase it as if it were fact. That always rubs me the wrong way.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 27, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nothing factually incorrect here.

Comment by Fox Mulder – July 27, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • pretty sure it’s an opinion and pretty sure you’re being kind of a prick.

Comment by kate – July 27, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by V – July 27, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sincerely bummed. Really loved having Joel Kinnaman on my screen every week. He was magnetic as Holder even if the show around him wasn’t perfect.

Comment by Sarah – July 27, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Angelina Jolie consideres Mirielle Enos to be pretty enough to attract the attention of Brad Pitt. Its been months since La Jolie has thrown one of her famous jealousy-infused “Brad-wants-to-f*ck-his-female-co-star” temper tantrums. Sales of the National Enquirer are beginning to fall off.

Comment by Just asking... – July 27, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It may not have been perfect but it was better than 95% of what is on TV. I was looking forward to the next murder that Enos solved.

Comment by Chad – July 27, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the 1st season & liked the 2nd, which I think dragged on too long. Sad to see it go but guess it does not matter since I have Dish & would not get to see a 3rd anyway.

Comment by Joanna – July 27, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being upset that season 1 didn’t solve the murder is sort of short-sighted thinking – are there narrative rules that all shows must follow? The two seasons together told an entire story, and it was well done.

Comment by Brooke – July 27, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, glad someone else thinks the same way. It was being realistic, not everything gets solved in one minute.

Comment by Amanda – October 14, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Luis L (@tvd_luis) – July 27, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed but not surprised. I’ll just be looking forward to what Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos are doing next.

Comment by Linderella – July 27, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I’m a huge fan of Kinnaman and Enos and will be on the lookout for their next projects. Hopefully soon.

Comment by Holly – July 27, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I am pi$$ed off they cancelled it. Just because they have an “A” in their network doesn’t mean they have to act like ABC.

Comment by Cerelon – July 27, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just one more reason, as a Dish subscriber, I do not miss being able to watch AMC!!

Comment by Barry – July 27, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is what happens when you piss of viewers. Your show dies. Why do networks not get this?

Comment by Danielle H – July 27, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a reminder to those “clever” creators and showrunners. The attention span of your audience is limited. You can’t create a mystery and have no resolution at the end of your season. Your audience will feel betrayed and they won’t come back. There are way too many channels to choose from for other programming. You can do always do a cliffhanger, but you must resolve the main mystery. Didn’t anyone learn anything from Twin Peaks?

Comment by Ronnie – July 27, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tell that to the people of Pretty Little Liars. The show has yet to reveal who killed Allison DeLaurentis and it’s already in its third season.

Comment by Maria Flor de Luna – July 27, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You don’t jerk your audience around not expect a backlash.
    It could have been so compelling but it became hard to watch after a while.

Comment by MikeyM – July 27, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Simple.Interesting. and commented: :(

Comment by Cristi M. – July 28, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep seeing that “the original dutch version was soo much better”. The viewing public wants mysteries solved in 60 minutes with commercials. I truly cannot see the average viewer hanging on for 20 episodes. What’s ironic….both versions were meant to take you thru the “real life” experiences of people involved in a murder of a young girl. Family, friends, acquaintances, cops. It dragged out because that’s basically what reality is in this case. I, like some, enjoyed it. It was a great puzzle. Watch the ID Network, shows like Disappeared, and even the 48 Hours on ID…the killer is not always caught quickly. Hell, some of the resolutions wait 20-30 years. So The Killing tried to give the viewer a “dose” of reality, while allowing you to feel what the family and friends “felt”. That is drama. And I wouldn’t blame Veena Sud. I believe, as the networks focus on the dollar, they marketed the story being resolv ed in Season 1. Saw the good ratings, and decided “let’s drag out to a 2nd season”. So I blame the top execs at AMC.

Comment by lisa – July 28, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post