AMC Cancels The Killing After Two Seasons 'After Much Deliberation' [Updated]

the killing cancelledAMC has euthanized The Killing.

The cabler has opted against ordering a third season of the mystery drama, which sparked a backlash after it failed to resolve the Rosie Larsen murder at the end of Season 1.

“After much deliberation, we’ve come to the difficult decision not to renew The Killing for a third season,” said the network in a statement. “AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast.”

RELATEDThe Killing Season 2 Finale Recap: Who Killed Rosie Larsen? Well…

The series, based on a Danish TV whodunit called Forbrydelsen, debuted to critical acclaim. The first season earned Emmy nominations for stars Mireille Enos, who played a detective investigating Rosie’s killing, and Michelle Forbes, who portrayed the dead girl’s mother. But when the Season 1 finale came and went without any resolution to the murder mystery, fans and critics alike made their displeasure known – and the drama never recovered.

The show’s Season 2 finale drew 1.5 million viewers, down 17 percent from the premiere and down 35 percent from the final episode of its freshman year. Critical support, too, seriously dropped in the second season. (At least we found out who killed Rosie.)

RELATED | Joel Kinnaman Weighs in on a Killing Season 3: ‘It Would Have to Reboot Itself’

The Killing made stars of Enos and Joel Kinnaman, who played her partner Stephen Holder, and the show was a springboard to the big screen for both of them. Kinnaman will play the titular role in the upcoming Robocop reboot, and Enos recently wrapped the Ryan Gosling-led Gangster Squad. She’ll also appear opposite Brad Pitt in the zombie-horror flick World War Z, scheduled for release next year.

1. rainer says:

Noooooooo

2. mary says:

I actually liked this show. It’s a shame. Wonder if they had been nominated for an Emmy if AMC would’ve canceled it.

3. TigerNightmare says:

Well, that’s disappointing.

4. Terry says:

Stupid AMC We need quality shows on TV and you took of one of the best.

• theduck says:

You know, every time a show is cancelled you can count on someone writing something like this. If shows don’t get watched they get cancelled. I know it sucks when a show you love is cancelled, but it’s not the end of the world.

• RyanC says:

I know right? Why would somebody on a television website be disappointed about a television show being cancelled?

• KevyB says:

Even ones that SUCKED! Seriously, if you liked this, you really need to watch better television. The writing on this was AWFUL! I feel sorry for the cast but Veena Sud shouldn’t be allowed a job in Hollywood EVER again.

5. Kim R says:

I’m not surprised. The way it ended could have gone either way…as a conclusion or a beginning. The first season was a little better than the second but I was looking forward to seeing what they were going to do in a third. :)

6. Emily says:

and that is what you get for not solving the mystery in season 1 and then jerking people around for a whole nother season and then making it seem like everyone killed her when the aunt should have just opened her mouth and said she did it on day one and save us all the trouble :)

7. carolinagirl says:

Too bad! I really enjoyed it. But at least they resolved Rosie’s murder before they ended it.

8. Shoof says:

Well… This is extremely disappointing, but not such a surprise.

9. Amilah says:

No surprised, the showrunners did not keep their promises on revealing the killer early on and leading into a new mystery. They led us all around the mulberry bush and then took a cheap easy way out. Shame AMC let Veena Sud go off track.

• Sluggo says:

Amilah,

It was AMC who steered Veena Sud off track.
      Do you actually think showrunners have final approval about
      how many episodes are required to tell a story ?
      Who set up the 13 episode season format ?
      Not the showrunner.
      The Danish show took 20 episodes to solve this case.
      AMC stretched it out to 26.

10. Franklin says:

I didn’t get a chance to sit through season 2. I was turned off by the slow pace. Did it end with a cliffhanger like season 1?

• Mína says:

nah, they revealed the killer(s). Richmond’s #2 Jamie beat and chased Rosie through the woods and Aunt Terri drove the car into the lake

11. TigerNightmare says:

Does everyone type so slow that they correct a typo that I didn’t even get to see? Is anyone here posting with their thumbs?

12. YowzaPowza says:

Not surprised. The first season was good, but the second season was so incredibly stupid that this really comes as no surprise.

13. Emily says:

Disappointed only about losing Mireille Enos & Joel Kinnaman.

• Elizabeth says:

^^This. I just loved the 2 of them and would have watched another season just for them. Hope they both end up somewhere great.

14. Robin G. says:

Typical move. Get rid of the good shows so we can be taken over by reality garbage.

• Troy says:

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, The Walking Dead. I wouldn’t worry about AMC filling up their programming with reality garbage. Even The Pitch, while being reality, is a really good show.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Kinda bummed out, I guess, but kinda not surprised. There were a lot of things I felt this show could have done to make it better, and it times it really frustrated me, but I felt like it had potential to be really good. I probably would have stuck with a third season.

16. Mittemus says:

Not surprised… the original Danish version was soooo much better.

• crochetowl says:

Ditto. Season 2 of the Danish version is even better than the first. They are doing one more season and they are done.

17. Che says:

It´s sad. I guess I´ll get over it but I would´ve liked at least one more season. See what could have happened next.

18. Daniel says:

I’m pretty sure he knows it was a typo. 100 people don’t need to tell him.

19. Hermes says:

Can’t say I’m surprised, they really messed up by dragging the Larsen murder over 2 seasons. Loved the first season though just wished they wrapped things up in 13 episodes rather than 26

20. Velvet says:

Not surprised. I watched about 6 hrs of the first season then quit it altogether because it was a waste of my time. I knew it was going to drag on forever and you probably wouldn’t know who the killer was by the season finale. I was right. Bye bye

21. Saint Alicia says:

Not surprising, they jerked fans around with the reveal of the killer; the execution of that situation is what did them in.
    Anyhow, the third/final series of the original (and far superior) Danish version “Forbrydelsen,” comes out September 30th! Not sure when the BBC will get around to subtitling and airing it, but I managed to watch Forbrydelsen II ahead of time because some enterprising individual translated, captioned and uploaded it online himself. Hope that guy is still at work!

22. Rich says:

Of course it was cancelled. They screwed all their Dish Network viewers out of seeing it. (I know, that didn’t happen until after the finale)

23. Kalee says:

Hmmm… I don’t know. I’m not really sad about this news.

24. I liked it but I am not surprised. They misled the audience into thinking the murder would be solved in season 1. Then they said early in season 2 with a new mystery starting to go into season 3. Obviously someone told them there wasn’t going to be a season 3 because they drug this out the entire second season and gave us little on the new murder. So, I didn’t expect a renewal after that. It’s too bad, I loved the actors and liked the show. Too bad the showrunner is an idiot.

• Oh and the ending they used served as a series finale pretty well so that was another reason not to expect a renewal. All in all we got a decent story start to finish so I can’t complain.

25. kate says:

unfortunate but not surprising. the way they marketed the show – as a season long murder mystery – alienated a lot of people when it wasn’t a season long murder mystery. bummer anyway, as the cast was excellent.

26. DL says:

It’s fine. At the very least it put Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman on the map, and if their current IMDb credits are any indication, we’ll be seeing plenty more of them.

27. Jen says:

I’m with a lot of the people on here. I really enjoyed season 1. I tried watching season 2, but it just got so convoluted that I honestly stopped caring about who killed Rosie. I never even finished watching it.

28. Sam says:

No! That’s a disappointing. Had the Larsen case been resolved in season 1 and they had followed with a new murder mystery every season, this could’ve very easily last 4-5 seasons I think. Oh well, it was good (if not insanely drawn out) while it lasted. It had some fantastic performances, good atmosphere and a fantastic killer reveal. It was good while it lasted. I hope we’ll see more quality murder mysteries soon (AMC — again, Showtime, HBO and FX would be ideal)!

29. Break the mould, get cancelled. Thank you cable for becoming the new network TV.

30. Kristina says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

31. RAGGEDT says:

In a cruel irony, even though The Killing has been cancelled, AMC is refusing to let the cast know until next year.

32. Fox Mulder says:

Good! The Killing watered down AMC’s capital becoming an alternate to HBO and Showtime, one quality show at a time. There are too many other options to spend time on than a show that failed as miserably as this show did. The Killing became a disaster, creatively bankrupt, embarrassing and disappointing.

Many of us did not just hate the first season’s ambiguous ending. It’s a story about process, not a definitive resolution. The Killing actively drove you away, with its obvious “red herring” formula that was violently shoe-horned into nearly every episode, as if off an assembly line. People were saying, “let’s wait for the finale” to finish this procedural show that is not even network pablum. Showrunner Veena Sud’s insistence that she is creating high art, no one can stand. It sure is different, just not in a good way.

33. V says:

34. Sarah says:

Sincerely bummed. Really loved having Joel Kinnaman on my screen every week. He was magnetic as Holder even if the show around him wasn’t perfect.

35. Just asking... says:

I wonder if Angelina Jolie consideres Mirielle Enos to be pretty enough to attract the attention of Brad Pitt. Its been months since La Jolie has thrown one of her famous jealousy-infused “Brad-wants-to-f*ck-his-female-co-star” temper tantrums. Sales of the National Enquirer are beginning to fall off.

36. Chad says:

It may not have been perfect but it was better than 95% of what is on TV. I was looking forward to the next murder that Enos solved.

37. Joanna says:

I loved the 1st season & liked the 2nd, which I think dragged on too long. Sad to see it go but guess it does not matter since I have Dish & would not get to see a 3rd anyway.

38. Brooke says:

Being upset that season 1 didn’t solve the murder is sort of short-sighted thinking – are there narrative rules that all shows must follow? The two seasons together told an entire story, and it was well done.

39. Linderella says:

I’m disappointed but not surprised. I’ll just be looking forward to what Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos are doing next.

• Holly says:

Totally agree. I’m a huge fan of Kinnaman and Enos and will be on the lookout for their next projects. Hopefully soon.

40. Cerelon says:

Yeah I am pi$$ed off they cancelled it. Just because they have an “A” in their network doesn’t mean they have to act like ABC.

41. Barry says:

Just one more reason, as a Dish subscriber, I do not miss being able to watch AMC!!

42. Danielle H says:

This is what happens when you piss of viewers. Your show dies. Why do networks not get this?

43. Ronnie says:

This is a reminder to those “clever” creators and showrunners. The attention span of your audience is limited. You can’t create a mystery and have no resolution at the end of your season. Your audience will feel betrayed and they won’t come back. There are way too many channels to choose from for other programming. You can do always do a cliffhanger, but you must resolve the main mystery. Didn’t anyone learn anything from Twin Peaks?

• Maria Flor de Luna says:

Tell that to the people of Pretty Little Liars. The show has yet to reveal who killed Allison DeLaurentis and it’s already in its third season.

44. MikeyM says:

You don’t jerk your audience around not expect a backlash.
    It could have been so compelling but it became hard to watch after a while.

45. Cristi M. says:

Reblogged this on Simple.Interesting. and commented:

46. lisa says:

I keep seeing that “the original dutch version was soo much better”. The viewing public wants mysteries solved in 60 minutes with commercials. I truly cannot see the average viewer hanging on for 20 episodes. What’s ironic….both versions were meant to take you thru the “real life” experiences of people involved in a murder of a young girl. Family, friends, acquaintances, cops. It dragged out because that’s basically what reality is in this case. I, like some, enjoyed it. It was a great puzzle. Watch the ID Network, shows like Disappeared, and even the 48 Hours on ID…the killer is not always caught quickly. Hell, some of the resolutions wait 20-30 years. So The Killing tried to give the viewer a “dose” of reality, while allowing you to feel what the family and friends “felt”. That is drama. And I wouldn’t blame Veena Sud. I believe, as the networks focus on the dollar, they marketed the story being resolv ed in Season 1. Saw the good ratings, and decided “let’s drag out to a 2nd season”. So I blame the top execs at AMC.