Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

Hands down, the highlight of the 2011 Emmy ceremony were the pre-statuette hijinks by the nominees for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. And while Raising Hope‘s Martha Plimpton and The Big C‘s Laura Linney got left off the ballot and thus won’t be able to help present the category winner with a ceremonial crown and sash, there are three new nominees in the mix, and hopefully they’ll bring the same spirit of wackiness to the 2012 telecast.

Actually, is there any chance Veep‘s
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, New Girl‘s
Zooey Deschanel, and Girls‘
Lena Dunham wouldn’t be down for following Pied Piper
Amy Poehler of Parks and Recreation? Let’s hope not! Also in this year’s race are 2011 champ Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly), 2010 winner Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), and 2008 victor Tina Fey (30 Rock). (Lest we forget, Louis-Dreyfus herself won in 2006, for her work on The New Adventures of Old Christine.)

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actresses to the podium when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (72)

• Please please please let this be Amy Poehler’s year!

Comment by Tricia – July 27, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t watch anything except 30 Rock and Mike and Molly but Melissa McCarthy has deserved an Emmy since Samantha Who?

Comment by Maro – July 27, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She won last year.

Comment by Steven – July 27, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • true that, this year it has to be Poehler’s…

Comment by andy – July 27, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Try since Gilmore Girls.

Comment by darcywilson – July 27, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • everyone on Gilmore girls deserved an Emmy…no one got one.
        Melissa got her emmy last year…I think it’s time for th eemmys to recognize Lauren Graham as well!!

Comment by ih – July 28, 2012 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • An alexis Bledel emmy win would be the third sign of the apocalypse.

Comment by Michael – July 28, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • lolz – truth

Comment by annabelle – July 30, 2012 07:18 AM PDT
    • I am a Melissa McCarthy fan as well. :)

Comment by Kim R – July 27, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMY POEHLER ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Laura Linney should have been on the list !!

Comment by Soso – July 27, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes… I found her to be worthier than practically 6 of them… :/

Comment by Me34 – July 27, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That isn’t how Zooey spells her name.

Comment by Leah – July 27, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’d think they could at least get the names right.

Comment by tripoli – July 27, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be Amy’s year! She’s deserved to win since Season 2. For some reason the powers that be never give Parks & Rec anything (I know this can be said for a lot of various shows though), but I pray they finally see the light of day and give her the award. I love Melissa McCarthy, but I truly think she won it last year because of her work in Bridesmaids. She’s funny… that show though. Please anyone with the power to vote that is somehow magically listening, watch Parks and Rec (even just the season finale I don’t care!) and VOTE KNOPE… I mean Poehler!

Comment by Bobby – July 27, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one in any category deserves to win more than Amy Poehler.

Comment by Laura E. – July 27, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i know that its pointless to say this now but it should be gillian jacobs or alison brie, stupid emmys. anyway zooey deschanel it is then from this awful catagory, and before you all say it ive never seen parks so i dont know what amy poehler is like

Comment by Alan – July 27, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think if you like Community, you’d like Parks and Rec. Those two shows share a big fan base. Amy is wonderful on it. Trust me on this, you should give it a try. Gillian and Alison were in the supporting category, by the way, this is lead. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 27, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve never heard anyone before call Edie Falco, Melissa McCarthy and Julia LD “awful”. Yes, both girls from Community deserved nominations but I find it off-putting that you would demean these very talent actresses.

Comment by Michael – July 28, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, would Gillian and Alison be competing in this category? Aren’t they supporting actors?

Comment by Michael – July 28, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • edie falco – awful? what kind of crack have you been smoking? the woman has 4 emmys (plus 5 other nominations), 2 golden globes, and a tony nomination. i like zooey deschanel, but she is nowhere near as talented as some of the other women in this category.

Comment by annabelle – July 30, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler deserves to win this, so much. She is flawless, and the show is amazing.

Comment by Mikaylah – July 27, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion, Zooey and Lena don’t even deserve nominations – they both play themselves. That’s like winning an award for “Best Personality.”

Comment by ashley – July 27, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. So much!!

Comment by darcywilson – July 27, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I think Zooey is a bit like Jess, Jess goes far beyond. You may as well say the same thing about Julie Bowen for Modern Family. Have you seen her in interviews? She IS Claire.

Comment by Sal – July 27, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler. No doubt about it.

Comment by Aleida – July 27, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courteney Cox deserved a nomination so bad.

Comment by darcywilson – July 27, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second, third, AND fourth this.

Comment by August – July 28, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Courtney Cox is a joke. She may be one of the most overrated actresses on tv.

Comment by hannah – July 30, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh, actually there are no funny women on this list.
    I would have voted for Kaley Cuoco. True comedy.

Comment by Me – July 27, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS…is the dumbest comment I’ve ever read on this website. Maybe any website, but definitely this website.

Comment by Dr. Bombay – July 27, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adam Carolla, is that you?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 27, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As I looked at the nominees, I said to myself, “Hmm, tough call. Lena Dunham was blahblah, but Zooey Deschanel was pretty blahblah even though New Girl was more or less blahblah and I should probably check Veep out cause Julia Louis-Dreyfus is always blahblah, but WHOA AMY POEHLER IS NOMINATED OKAY HER.”

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 27, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa Mcarthy.How about Beth Behrs& Kat Dennings for 2Broke Girls

Comment by Brandy – July 27, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That show is awful.

Comment by Sean C. – July 27, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Kat Dennings deserves to be on the list too !

Comment by Soso – July 27, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time for Amy to win

Comment by A – July 27, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa all the way!

Comment by Paula Stinnett – July 27, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s about 4 women here I could be happy seeing winning, but I think my heart ultimately belongs to Amy Poehler for this category. I say Julia really wins it, but I do wonder if Lena Dunham is going to pull off a shock win since Girls is so buzzy and got nominated for best show, best writing, and best directing. But I’m guessing they save their votes for Lena in the best writing category and give actress to Julia, whom they really like to see win. And she is very funny on Veep, she is one of my 4 I could be happy seeing win. But I voted for Amy!
    I am very curious how 7 actresses got into this category. What does that mean exactly? Was the 6th spot a tie? I didn’t even know it was statistically possible to tie in Emmy nominations…unless there are a lot less Emmy voters than I thought there were.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 27, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler for the finest performance from anyone on a comedy this year. This would help with the shocking omission for best comedy nom for Parks and Rec.

Comment by Matt – July 27, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poehler is long overdue for a win!

Comment by Kalee – July 27, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was Amy Poehler’s strongest season yet, and I loved her from the start. But Lena Dunham wrote, directed, and starred in her own show where her character is less than totally likeable. That type of unfettered bravery deserves to be recognized. I mean, when was the last time you saw female nudity that couldn’t fit into a size 0?

Comment by Sam – July 27, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, but this is just for the acting, and I feel as though Dunham leaves a lot to be desired in that context.

Poehler is a phenomenal actress, though, who deserves this win.

Comment by Summer – July 27, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • honestly anyone but melissa mccarthy would deserve this. maybe not tina fey just because 30rock isnt nearly as good as it used to be. id say edie falco or amy poehler deserve it the most, and between them i say poehler just because parks and rec is much more of a comedy

Comment by jay – July 27, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Dern! …oh wait :/

Comment by scorpo – July 27, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Melodrama doesn’t warrant an Emmy.

Comment by Sal – July 27, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would personally love Zooey to win, but I would happilt see Julia win for Veep which I think she was hysterical in. I have only just starting watching Parks&Rec and am loving Amy in earlier seaons shocked she hasnt won for this role already so she could be another contender! Just PLEASE PLEASE no Tine Fey who is funny but has won it too many times for her funiness level and so amazingly overrated Girls Lena!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – July 27, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa McCarthy totally deserves it. She is one of the funniest women on TV.

I didn’t like what I saw of 30 Rock and Veep, but it was not the fault of their leading ladies. Tina Fey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus had good performances, but not Emmy-worthy ones.
    New Girl and Zooey Dechanel’s performance were terrible. No comment on Amy Poehler and Lena Dunham, never having watched their shows.

I’m pissed about the snubs of RH’s Martha Plimpton, The Middle’s Patricia Heaton, TBBT’s Kaley Cuoco, Last Man Standing’s Nancy Travis, and 2 Broke Girls’ Kat Dennings. Hilarious women.

Comment by nick1372 – July 27, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You haven’t watched Parks and Rec so you shouldn’t even be commenting. Seriously go watch it…now.

Comment by lucas – July 28, 2012 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been thinking about that, but I’m in the middle of catching up on like 10 shows now. Maybe next summer?

Comment by nick1372 – July 28, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler. 100%. Love her on Parks and Rec! She is all kinds of awesome.

Comment by Eliza – July 27, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is Poehler’s year. it HAS to be!!

Comment by nyla – July 27, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMY POEHLER FOR THE WIN!!!

Comment by Jared – July 27, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy! Amy! AMY! Lil’ Sebatian has to be watching out for her from the Heavens…

Comment by Spencer – July 27, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he’s just a small horse, am I missing something?

Comment by Ben Wyatt – July 27, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that made my day!!!!

Comment by Lena – August 2, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What did you just say?

Comment by Ron Swanson – August 2, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my mind there is absolutely no doubt that the Emmy goes to Amy Poehler. She is brilliant as Leslie Knope. If that isn’t enough, she wrote and directed the best episode of the season (The Debate). Really, how can she not win? But this is the Emmys so I am prepared for disappointment.

Comment by Amy – July 27, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if Amy Poehler doesn’t win this somebody better pull a Kanye West!

Comment by florence – July 27, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but Zooey Deschanel. It’s not like she’s actually *acting*. She plays this exact same role in everything she’s even been on, which is exactly as her own self. Also, Jess’s so annoying, we had to stop watching in the fourth episode or so.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – July 27, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMY POEHLER HAS TO WIN THIS YEAR

Comment by Line – July 28, 2012 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler or Melissa McCarthy. Deschannel would be ok.

Comment by ingmarhappy – July 28, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMY POEHLER!

Comment by lisa – July 28, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Zooey, but Amy Poehler is the only acceptable answer here.

Comment by Aprilcot26 – July 28, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler or Julia Louis-Dreyfus. They’re streets ahead of the other nominees IMO.

Comment by Val – July 28, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha plimpton and garette dillahunt are the best actors on tv. Why Martha is not a huge star is beyond me. Give her an Emmy. Hell give her an Oscar

Comment by Sean Knox – July 28, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus is fantastic in VEEP as is the rest of the cast. I love everthing she does. A true professional with staying power. Chase256

Comment by Keith Chase – July 29, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poehler.
    Done and done.
    That was easy.

Comment by Jess – July 30, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any doubt? Poehler has to win!

Comment by Linda – July 30, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wtf? Lena dunham hands down.

Comment by karlo – August 4, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy has to win this one. there is absolutely no doubt in my mimd that she is the most Desrving of the lot. please let it be her.

Comment by aayaan – August 15, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post