Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Hands down, the highlight of the 2011 Emmy ceremony were the pre-statuette hijinks by the nominees for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. And while Raising Hope‘s Martha Plimpton and The Big C‘s Laura Linney got left off the ballot and thus won’t be able to help present the category winner with a ceremonial crown and sash, there are three new nominees in the mix, and hopefully they’ll bring the same spirit of wackiness to the 2012 telecast.

Actually, is there any chance Veep‘s
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, New Girl‘s
Zooey Deschanel, and Girls‘
Lena Dunham wouldn’t be down for following Pied Piper
Amy Poehler of Parks and Recreation? Let’s hope not! Also in this year’s race are 2011 champ Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly), 2010 winner Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), and 2008 victor Tina Fey (30 Rock). (Lest we forget, Louis-Dreyfus herself won in 2006, for her work on The New Adventures of Old Christine.)

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actresses to the podium when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Tricia says:

Please please please let this be Amy Poehler’s year!

2. Maro says:

Don’t watch anything except 30 Rock and Mike and Molly but Melissa McCarthy has deserved an Emmy since Samantha Who?

3. Soso says:

AMY POEHLER ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Laura Linney should have been on the list !!

4. Leah says:

That isn’t how Zooey spells her name.

5. Bobby says:

It has to be Amy’s year! She’s deserved to win since Season 2. For some reason the powers that be never give Parks & Rec anything (I know this can be said for a lot of various shows though), but I pray they finally see the light of day and give her the award. I love Melissa McCarthy, but I truly think she won it last year because of her work in Bridesmaids. She’s funny… that show though. Please anyone with the power to vote that is somehow magically listening, watch Parks and Rec (even just the season finale I don’t care!) and VOTE KNOPE… I mean Poehler!

6. Alan says:

i know that its pointless to say this now but it should be gillian jacobs or alison brie, stupid emmys. anyway zooey deschanel it is then from this awful catagory, and before you all say it ive never seen parks so i dont know what amy poehler is like

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I think if you like Community, you’d like Parks and Rec. Those two shows share a big fan base. Amy is wonderful on it. Trust me on this, you should give it a try. Gillian and Alison were in the supporting category, by the way, this is lead. :)

• Michael says:

I’ve never heard anyone before call Edie Falco, Melissa McCarthy and Julia LD “awful”. Yes, both girls from Community deserved nominations but I find it off-putting that you would demean these very talent actresses.

• Michael says:

Also, would Gillian and Alison be competing in this category? Aren’t they supporting actors?

• annabelle says:

edie falco – awful? what kind of crack have you been smoking? the woman has 4 emmys (plus 5 other nominations), 2 golden globes, and a tony nomination. i like zooey deschanel, but she is nowhere near as talented as some of the other women in this category.

7. Mikaylah says:

Amy Poehler deserves to win this, so much. She is flawless, and the show is amazing.

8. ashley says:

In my opinion, Zooey and Lena don’t even deserve nominations – they both play themselves. That’s like winning an award for “Best Personality.”

9. Aleida says:

Amy Poehler. No doubt about it.

10. darcywilson says:

Courteney Cox deserved a nomination so bad.

11. Me says:

Uh, actually there are no funny women on this list.
    I would have voted for Kaley Cuoco. True comedy.

12. TigerNightmare says:

As I looked at the nominees, I said to myself, “Hmm, tough call. Lena Dunham was blahblah, but Zooey Deschanel was pretty blahblah even though New Girl was more or less blahblah and I should probably check Veep out cause Julia Louis-Dreyfus is always blahblah, but WHOA AMY POEHLER IS NOMINATED OKAY HER.”

13. Brandy says:

Melissa Mcarthy.How about Beth Behrs& Kat Dennings for 2Broke Girls

14. A says:

Time for Amy to win

15. Paula Stinnett says:

Melissa all the way!

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

There’s about 4 women here I could be happy seeing winning, but I think my heart ultimately belongs to Amy Poehler for this category. I say Julia really wins it, but I do wonder if Lena Dunham is going to pull off a shock win since Girls is so buzzy and got nominated for best show, best writing, and best directing. But I’m guessing they save their votes for Lena in the best writing category and give actress to Julia, whom they really like to see win. And she is very funny on Veep, she is one of my 4 I could be happy seeing win. But I voted for Amy!
    I am very curious how 7 actresses got into this category. What does that mean exactly? Was the 6th spot a tie? I didn’t even know it was statistically possible to tie in Emmy nominations…unless there are a lot less Emmy voters than I thought there were.

17. Matt says:

Amy Poehler for the finest performance from anyone on a comedy this year. This would help with the shocking omission for best comedy nom for Parks and Rec.

18. Kalee says:

Poehler is long overdue for a win!

19. Sam says:

This was Amy Poehler’s strongest season yet, and I loved her from the start. But Lena Dunham wrote, directed, and starred in her own show where her character is less than totally likeable. That type of unfettered bravery deserves to be recognized. I mean, when was the last time you saw female nudity that couldn’t fit into a size 0?

• Summer says:

True, but this is just for the acting, and I feel as though Dunham leaves a lot to be desired in that context.

Poehler is a phenomenal actress, though, who deserves this win.

20. jay says:

honestly anyone but melissa mccarthy would deserve this. maybe not tina fey just because 30rock isnt nearly as good as it used to be. id say edie falco or amy poehler deserve it the most, and between them i say poehler just because parks and rec is much more of a comedy

21. scorpo says:

Laura Dern! …oh wait :/

22. I would personally love Zooey to win, but I would happilt see Julia win for Veep which I think she was hysterical in. I have only just starting watching Parks&Rec and am loving Amy in earlier seaons shocked she hasnt won for this role already so she could be another contender! Just PLEASE PLEASE no Tine Fey who is funny but has won it too many times for her funiness level and so amazingly overrated Girls Lena!

23. nick1372 says:

Melissa McCarthy totally deserves it. She is one of the funniest women on TV.

I didn’t like what I saw of 30 Rock and Veep, but it was not the fault of their leading ladies. Tina Fey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus had good performances, but not Emmy-worthy ones.
    New Girl and Zooey Dechanel’s performance were terrible. No comment on Amy Poehler and Lena Dunham, never having watched their shows.

I’m pissed about the snubs of RH’s Martha Plimpton, The Middle’s Patricia Heaton, TBBT’s Kaley Cuoco, Last Man Standing’s Nancy Travis, and 2 Broke Girls’ Kat Dennings. Hilarious women.

• lucas says:

You haven’t watched Parks and Rec so you shouldn’t even be commenting. Seriously go watch it…now.

• nick1372 says:

I’ve been thinking about that, but I’m in the middle of catching up on like 10 shows now. Maybe next summer?

24. Eliza says:

Amy Poehler. 100%. Love her on Parks and Rec! She is all kinds of awesome.

25. nyla says:

this is Poehler’s year. it HAS to be!!

26. Jared says:

AMY POEHLER FOR THE WIN!!!

27. Spencer says:

Amy! Amy! AMY! Lil’ Sebatian has to be watching out for her from the Heavens…

28. Amy says:

In my mind there is absolutely no doubt that the Emmy goes to Amy Poehler. She is brilliant as Leslie Knope. If that isn’t enough, she wrote and directed the best episode of the season (The Debate). Really, how can she not win? But this is the Emmys so I am prepared for disappointment.

29. florence says:

if Amy Poehler doesn’t win this somebody better pull a Kanye West!

30. Anyone but Zooey Deschanel. It’s not like she’s actually *acting*. She plays this exact same role in everything she’s even been on, which is exactly as her own self. Also, Jess’s so annoying, we had to stop watching in the fourth episode or so.

31. Line says:

AMY POEHLER HAS TO WIN THIS YEAR

32. ingmarhappy says:

Amy Poehler or Melissa McCarthy. Deschannel would be ok.

33. lisa says:

AMY POEHLER!

34. Aprilcot26 says:

I love Zooey, but Amy Poehler is the only acceptable answer here.

35. Val says:

Amy Poehler or Julia Louis-Dreyfus. They’re streets ahead of the other nominees IMO.

36. Sean Knox says:

Martha plimpton and garette dillahunt are the best actors on tv. Why Martha is not a huge star is beyond me. Give her an Emmy. Hell give her an Oscar

37. Keith Chase says:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is fantastic in VEEP as is the rest of the cast. I love everthing she does. A true professional with staying power. Chase256

38. Jess says:

Poehler.
    Done and done.
    That was easy.

39. Linda says:

Is there any doubt? Poehler has to win!

40. karlo says:

wtf? Lena dunham hands down.

41. aayaan says:

Amy has to win this one. there is absolutely no doubt in my mimd that she is the most Desrving of the lot. please let it be her.