American Horror Story Exclusive: Bourne Actress Franka Potente Joins Season 2 Cast as [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Franka Potente American Horror StoryAmerican Horror Story has admitted Franka Potente to its asylum-set second season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The Run Lola Run actress — who appeared opposite Matt Damon in the first two Bourne flicks — will play a mysterious patient of the facility in a two-episode arc.

RELATED | American Horror Story Casts Adam Levine’s ‘Lover’

As previously reported, Season 2 of the Emmy-nominated FX series will take place in a 1960s insane asylum on the East Coast. Jessica Lange will play a nun who’s in charge of the facility, and her Season 1 castmates Zachary Quinto, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Lily Rabe will return to portray completely new characters, as well.

Potente, who will next star in BBC’s America’s first original series Copper, is the latest in a slew of cast additions that includes Chloe Sevigny, Lizzie Brocheré, Joseph Fiennes, James Cromwell, Britne Oldford, Mark Consuelos, Clea Duvall, Jenna Dewan and Chris Zylka.

The new season is set to premiere in October.

Comments (34)

• Isn’t this cast big enough already?

Comment by Goku – July 27, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she’s in a two episode arc, not the whole season… most episodes have different plots therefor need different actors.

Comment by anna – August 27, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bigger the Better……. ; )

Comment by Dawn Smith-Dzwil – August 29, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • october to far away

Comment by Andrew – July 27, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I KNOW!!!! The wait is killing me!

Comment by Dan – August 29, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL okay biggest cast ever.. but awesome casting news, again.

Comment by Aidan – July 27, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sweet Jesus, this is becoming the biggest cast in Television History

Comment by Rrrrrr – July 27, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was only in the first two Bourne movies. Please do some fact checking. Hard to take you seriously when you don’t have the correct facts.

Comment by Bob – July 27, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was gonna say. Hey now, I wish she’d been in all 3 Bourne flicks, because I liked a bit of googly eyes in between explosions. But I don’t remember her in 3 at all.

Comment by Dani – July 27, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She appeared in the third one, but only in flashbacks…

Comment by Hurley – July 27, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? They lose all credibility because they don’t name the correct amount of Bourne movies? You need to stop taking things so seriously.

Comment by Dave – July 27, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bob thinks he is at MOVIEline (related??) or IMDB, LOL

Comment by Lauren – July 27, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The above article states, ”The Run Lola Run actress — who appeared opposite Matt Damon in the first two Bourne flicks — will play a mysterious patient of the facility in a two-episode arc.” Are you reading a different article that I did, or did they fix the mistake after you posted? Just curious.

Comment by Penelope – August 27, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It does actually say the FIRST TWO flicks!! Maybe you need to check hard on your reading!

Comment by Amy – August 27, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They did Jesus calm the eff down..

Comment by Penelope – August 28, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for the second season, I’m liking all these additions, specially Joseph Fienes

Comment by Patricia – July 27, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point I’m expecting my name to come up in casting news they’ve cast so many people.

Comment by courts – July 27, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hired this morning, looking forward to meeting you on the set :D

Comment by Penelope – August 27, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the show is going to be way to overwhelmed with such a big cast. I loved a show when it doesn’t have to many “big” name stars together. I think season 2 may fall apart.

Comment by Rachel – July 27, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea… Ryan Murphy.. why does he continue to ruin a good thing? The cast is way to big.. to many things will be going on and viewers will eventually get sick of it.. like Glee.. Don’t get me wrong I watched AHS Season 1 and loved it, Ryan Murphy is just getting greedy.. People will stop watching it.. I’m excited for the old cast coming back.. but I can care less for anyone else…But read my COMMENT, I will stop watching if he casts Fergie, because AHS is casting some pretty talentless peope.. Jenna Dewan… and Mark Consuelos anyone?
    Secretly excited for James Cromwell..but that’s it

Comment by JO is a NO – July 27, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s appearing in two episodes … not sure that counts as adding to “biggest cast in TV history” .. just a “name” actress doing a special guest appearance to build more momentum when the show premieres.

Comment by KenBud – July 27, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL to everyone calling this the biggest cast on tv, have you seen the list of cast members on Game of Thrones!!!

Comment by Jake – July 27, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really afraid that AHS is going to go the Glee route, where the first season was highly praised and then the whole thing falls off a cliff.

Comment by kate – July 27, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have to remember that AHS season 1 had a huge slew of recurring/guest cast members. Besides the core group (Connie, Dylan, Jessica, Denis, Evan & Taissa) and the actors who are appearing again this season, there was Charles S. Dutton, Mena Suvari, Eric Close, Christine Estabrook, Frances Conroy, Alexandra Beckinridge, Jamie Brewer, Matt Ross, Morris Chestnut, Kate Mara and Teddy Sears — and these were just the well known actors. There were dozens of others.

Some of these characters for season 2 may not even last the whole season or even a couple of episodes given AHS’ reputation for killing off every character left right and centre.

Comment by Andrew – July 28, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • … Wow so all the “cast is too big” clowns.

Y’all forget last season? Just because you’re cast doesn’t mean you’re in the show for the whole season.

Case in point, Mena Suvari…

Comment by melimachiavelli – August 27, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm the cast is large because its set in an insane asylum in the 60′s. They would pretty much commit anyone back then. It would be kind of inaccurate if it was set in an insane asylum with only 12 people in it. The cast in the first season was pretty big as well and not all characters were in the series the whole season.

Comment by Madison – August 27, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch the new season!!!!! I’m so happy that Adam levine will be in it… I love him!!!!!

Comment by Lydie – August 27, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great cast and you ppl saying the cast is too big are acting like they are all gonna be in every episode…some gotta realize that this isn’t a movie but a season long tv show

Comment by nick – August 27, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t care less who appeared in what movie how many times…I’m just looking forward to another great show just like last year. All you negative nellys out there should be happy that the show isn’t like all the others. Knowing how successful this season will be may pave the way for other series that ;may try to follow suit!!

Comment by karenika – August 27, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember hearing horrible stories about those mental hospitals back then. In fact, the book they made the movie “One flew over the cuckoos’s Nest” was based on a real story on one of those hospitals.. It gives me the creeps. :(

Comment by tahina – August 27, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That hospital is in Oregon not far from were I’m from =-(

Comment by Nath – August 27, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So two things: 1 – what’s wrong with ‘big’ names being added to the cast listing? Season 1 had its own separate slew of actors per episode, why does it matter if they’re big or not…? They’ve all been in something else! 2 – the people complaining about this are, most likely, people who enjoy nothing better than having a good old winge. It’s going to be fun, but it is just a tv show – stop whining…

Comment by Polly – August 27, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Boyfriend and I are looking forward to this! We waited long enough!!!!!! ; )

Comment by Maryrena Batenburg – August 28, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live one block away from that asylum- “one flew over the cuckoos nest” Salem Oregon yep- its not exciting!!! But this new season to me is SoOOO exciting!! I love newness and change- I’m just beside myself waiting for October!! Its so different then any other shows! Amazing really -I called it my “therapy” reality does not exist when this show is on. Love the cast! New and old and I have the hugest crush on “Tate” <3

Comment by monigrace – August 29, 2012 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post