Bad Boy Quarterfinals Begin: Gossip Girl's Chuck Bass Vs. How I Met Your Mother's Barney Stinson

chuck bass barney stinsonThey both hail from series that air on Monday nights, and they both fancy a dapper suit, but beyond that, you won’t find a lot of similarities between the first set of rivals to enter the ring in our TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament Quarterfinals.

Yes indeed, brace yourselves for a tough battle between Chuck Bass of Gossip Girl and Barney Stinson of How I Met Your Mother, because it’s going to be legen — wait for it, and I hope none of you are lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is — dary!

Every day for the next week, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, and those we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (91)

• How could it NOT be Barney?

Comment by kmhshhs – July 26, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hoping for a Tyrion/Barney finale face off!

Comment by jelly – July 26, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chuck is a better bad boy.

Comment by Maggs – July 27, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any doubt Barney’s gonna win this?

Comment by Mac19 – July 26, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. Barnacle for the win!

Comment by Lauren – July 26, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m doubting it.

Comment by Elyse – July 27, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I hope it’s Chuck Bass.

Comment by Maggs – July 27, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this has got to be the closest competition in the tournament!

Comment by Keren – July 27, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both but my vote goes to Chuck this time.

Comment by Danielle – July 26, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m soooo bummed that Pacey is knocked out! I’m not even sure I feel like voting for anyone else.

Comment by Lauren – July 26, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not currently relevant enough, I assume.

Comment by TheDude – July 26, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts except replace Pacey with Daryl MFing Dixon! How did he get knocked out by Sawyer?

Comment by Ari – July 26, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pacey isn’t really a bad boy though. He’s the sweetest guy ever who just makes bad mistakes.

Comment by hannah – July 30, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heeey, Chuck has loyal fans too, you know :)

Comment by Claudia – July 26, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never found Barney to be believable on any level. I cannot wait for the last season when we learn he hasn’t slept with 90% of the women he claims he did. THAT would be realistic.

Comment by the girl – July 26, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically, he’s only slept with about 300 women. That’s definitely plausible and actually not all that uncommon with “players” in major cities. And like Marshall said, he still only sleeps with 1.2% or so of the women he hits on, which is even more realistic.

Comment by Alix – July 26, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I seriously don’t believe he’s slept with 300 (fictional) women, not at ALL. It makes it hard for me to invest in the show, even though I kind of want to, because I like Ted, Lily, and Marshall. But I find myself being unable to escape into the show because this one thing grates my nerves so hard. There are other unbelievable things, but this, I find myself unable to suspend my disbelief. Anyway, I voted for Chuck.

Comment by the girl – July 26, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • soo gossip girl is believable, but how i met your mother isnt? seriously?!

Comment by shir – July 26, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • for a pubescent girl chuck is the real deal. hahhaha! in fact, mr. bass must have already slept with more than 300 women and anyone who thinks he will only sleep with blair from now on is delusional.

Comment by joe – July 27, 2012 04:20 AM PDT
          • Gosssip Girrrrl is believable, there’s a reality show that it’s based offff.

Comment by Inia – July 27, 2012 07:27 AM PDT
      • Plus he’s probably almost pushing 40 at this point. If he’s been having sex for 20 years, that’s 15 women per year. Just about 1 per month. Honestly, while that is a LOT of women (and kind of icky) in the context of how Barney lives his life, that’s not that many.

Comment by Ari – July 26, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know what his age is supposed to be in the show, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be 40. NPH in real life is 39 though. But even if Barney is 40, he lost his virginity at 23 so he hasn’t been having sex for 20 years. It’s been 17. Not to mention you aren’t factoring the relationships he has had. Robin, Nora, Quinn… So with the 3 year difference of how long he’s been having sex and how many relationships he’s been in…. yeah it is many.

Comment by Kaley – July 28, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • OMG I can’t believe how many people are trying to analyze Barney’s sex life. It’s a FICTIONAL show, it doesn’t have to be accurate. Just watch it and enjoy. Goodness…

Comment by ... – July 29, 2012 03:07 PM PDT
      • I doubt it’s that many. He’s been in relationships during the last few seasons, so I don’t think he has slept with 100 more women since season 5. 250, maybe. I bet it’s closer to 225.

Comment by Jenny – July 26, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “he’s only slept with about 300 women”… are you kidding? Do you hear yourself right now? I don’t know what fictional books you’ve been reading. But I live in New York and no not even “players” sleep with 300 women. That’s supremely unrealistic.

Comment by Kaley – July 28, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Chuck Bass love this qoute so Chuck

Comment by sarah l – July 26, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How chuck bass took less votes? It is impossible! He is perfect

Comment by Elena – July 26, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did your graphics department take a vacation? Why hasn’t the bracket been updated in days?

Comment by Jessica – July 26, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s updated..just that the other rounds are not over yet. Anxious? :)

Comment by Claudia – July 26, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I pressed the link thinkin You can win this Chuck! but when i saw that the other one was barney i just said out loud im sorry chuck, im sorry but you wont win and i wont vote for you…
    Soo I love both but barney is too freeking awesome to say no to.

Comment by Ida – July 26, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, stop voting for Barney. He has already had many voices!

Comment by Elena – July 26, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Er, but it’s a competition. Why would people give up their votes to a character they prefer less? That’s kinda the opposite of the point. It’s simply a fact that he’s a more popular character. Chuck is polarizing.

Comment by Alix – July 26, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BARNEY!!!!! Chuck lost his appeal like two seasons ago. He’s pathetic.
    Barney’s still the man.

Comment by Daniela – July 26, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s not pathetic! How is he pathetic? And speaking as a HIMYM viewer Barney’s just getting old. Not aging, but his whole act. All he did was sleep with woman… after woman… Sorry, but that loses it’s appeal fast. I like Ted and Marshall MUCH better.

Comment by Kaley – July 28, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • haha, so there is someone who actually likes ted.

Comment by anna – July 30, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • chuck is so 2008, he has lost all his charme. barney wins for sure.

Comment by giulia – July 26, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on, Chuck! You came from behind to overpower Pacey (something I never thought could be possible). You can take down Barney!

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 26, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney is still a legend, wait for it, dairy character.. Chuck is Blair’s slave.. nothing more nothing less, Chair fans,.. there is your Chuck, Mr. Waldorf, no more Chuck Bass.

Comment by Fernanda – July 26, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barney was good in the beginning. He’s not longer legen… wait for it… dairy. That joke is way old. His fans love him for what he was and his old regurgitated jokes. His whole shtick was tiresome. Barney is overrated. Marshall on the other hand.

Comment by Kaley – July 28, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that Pacey lost. He is the ultimate bad boy. Chuck is just a jerk with creepy voice.
    Barney Stinson FTW! At least his funny and is way cooler than Chuck

Comment by paula – July 26, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neither

Comment by Velvet – July 26, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Didn’t vote for either one of them. This poll has gone completely astray.

Comment by tripoli – July 26, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but Chuck, please.

Comment by Sally – July 26, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 2,000% agree! Chuck was entertaining the first 3 seasons, but I just can’t get over the hotel thing. Even if his fans and Blair have.

Comment by April – July 26, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah cause Barney has never done anything wrong… I’m so sick of hearing about the “hotel thing.” Just get over it! He wasn’t in the right frame of mind… he was trying to save his empire because his dad had passed away. Barney’s just a womanizer. Chuck stopped being a womanizer long ago, around season 3.

Comment by Kaley – July 28, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!!

Comment by Lisa – July 26, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Slezak, they are also both womanizing man-whores, too. Neither are really bad-boys so much as what I stated previously. I cannot and will not vote for the man who took out Pacey Witter in this bracket. Kick his butt, Barney! This came out a little more trolly than intended. Sorry!

Comment by April – July 26, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go for Barney Stinson.

Comment by Sg.Grant – July 26, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really find Barney to be a bad boy so I went with Chuck.

Comment by Jacqi – July 26, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Barney, he’s my favourite, and that’s who get’s my vote … But if we are talking “bad boy’s” i’m a little shocked Chuck Bass, hasn’t taken it. Cause he’s Chuck Bass

Comment by Amanda – July 26, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass FTW!

Comment by TrustNo1 – July 26, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon go Barney!!! Chuck does not deserve to win this tournament. Besides. The Barnacle is legen…..wait for it….dary! <3

Comment by Sara – July 26, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm…why do none of the votes total 100%? They all total more. Did I miss something?

Comment by BrightEyes – July 26, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The percentages on the bracket are what each person won their previous round with.

Comment by Amy – July 26, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right now, Barney is just the lesser of two evils

Comment by Patrick – July 26, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney. Chuck’s a wanker.

Comment by Ella – July 26, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kinda irrelevant since a person who saves ducks, helps elderly people crossing the road and sacrifices everything for the life of his life is hardly considered a bad boy these days.

Comment by Marina – July 26, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the Bracket’s it says Pacey 64.9% and Chuck 62.8%, shouldn’t that mean Pacey’s the winner, or am I missing something

Comment by Benny – July 26, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those are the percentages of the vote they won in the previous round – Chuck won 53.6% of the votes when he was up against Pacey

Comment by Allison – July 27, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck of course! :) C’m he’s Chuck Bass!

Comment by Ice – July 26, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is awesome and we love him! He’s the bestest, bad guy around!!!

Comment by Jennifer Svendsen – July 26, 2012 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck !!

Comment by Chris – July 27, 2012 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both but love Chuck more <3

Comment by donna – July 27, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bit unfair since the two shows couldnt be more different ratings wise. Of course Barney is a shoe-in in this particular poll.

Comment by Janet Snakehole – July 27, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but even though tons more people watch HIMYM, it seems like GG has more of an online presence, so it’s probably pretty even.

Comment by Allie – July 30, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both, but I absolutely adore Chuck… plus I think he’s actually more of a “bad boy” than Barney. it’s hard to really be a bad boy on a show that’s basically a romantic comedy, IMO. Either would be a deserving winner though.

Comment by Maria – July 27, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chuck! I never have watched HIMYM

Comment by Lexie – July 27, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easy, Chuck Bass. He’s definitely one of the best bad boys of tv. Love that character

Comment by Meg – July 27, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both but I voted for Chuck. There will never be another one like him

Comment by Willa – July 27, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am rooting for Chuck!!

Comment by Tracy Haven (@MrsDexterHaven) – July 27, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Chuck!!! CHAIR 4 LIFE!!!

Comment by TrustNo1 – July 27, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, wait a minute, for the last couple of days Barney was kicking this d-bag’s trash, now all of a sudden the d-bag is ahead? This happened in Chuck’s last contest too where he was losing by a lot then suddenly got a lot of votes at the end to win. I’m suspicious something fishy is going on here with the votes.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 27, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup, someone clearly found a way to cheat. It’s super obvious and kind of pathetic. But whatever, I hope they think all the time they’ve wasted on it is worth it!

Comment by rme – July 27, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People actually like Chuck and the comments prove that. I wish people would quit with the cheating crap on a stupid poll. This is supposed to be fun and being poor losers over a poll is stupid. Maybe go outside and get a life?

Comment by MSC – July 27, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know people like Chuck, but the voting is also very erratic compared to the other polls hosted on this site. It looks a lot like cheating. The two concepts aren’t mutually exclusive. In fact, it shows one person really really really likes Chuck.

Comment by rme – July 28, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • this poll has some security blocking people from voting more than twice….and i dont think the chuck fans getting news about the poll a bit later implies cheating coz i can tell u i myself didnt notice the poll was up until like 12 hours of it…..plus,thousands of people vote in this thing.i dont think one troll can affect it that much!please done throw such accusations without any proof!

Comment by TZR – July 28, 2012 04:11 PM PDT
  • Chuck Bass was a bad boy and an interesting characters in the first seasons now he is just a sad shadow of what he used to be. The bad writing kill that character for me. I´m voting for Barney.

Comment by Sara – July 27, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any doubt that it should be Chuck Bass?

Comment by Maggs – July 27, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass, baby. That is all.

Comment by Amber – July 27, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass all the way

Comment by or – July 27, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Chuck!

If this comes down to Chuck vs. Damon, this bracket game is going to get UGLY.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 27, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon Chuck is the ultimate bad boy! Barney’s too funny!!

Comment by Jill – July 27, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is the bad boy Barney wishes he was.

Comment by saxyroro (@saxyroro) – July 27, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck & CHAIR RULES!!!