Revenge Returns With a Blast from Emily's Past, a Lady Love for Nolan and One Big, Bad Mama

Revenge is back with a vengeance this fall.

“Dynamics have shifted [in Season 2],” Gabriel Mann teased during a Thursday afternoon visit to the ABC drama’s Manhattan Beach set. “Plots are coming fast and furious. It’s going to be utterly twisted and darker and deeper than even last year.”

But there’s also more fun ahead as the series returns to the world of “cocktail parties and pinched smiles.”

Here, the cast and executive producer Mike Kelley dish on Emily’s new man, Daniel’s relationship with Ashley, Nolan’s new lady love and more!

RELATED | Scoop: Revenge to Introduce Victoria’s [Spoiler] — Who Should Play Her?

EMILY | After getting burned just as she was about to confess her feelings to Jack, Emily will be back to her closed-off ways. “She’s spent a lot of time trying to keep her feelings at bay and cauterize them [at the start of Season 2],” previews Kelley. But a face from the past — played by British actor Barry Sloane — who resurfaces in the Hamptons will expose a new side of the revenge-seeking gal’s heart – and maybe some secrets. “It’ll be a really satisfying exploration of who Emily was when she was turning into Emily Thorne,” shares the EP.  (As it turns out, this mystery man was going through an identity transformation of his own when he met Amanda. “It [was] very volatile. They [were] very angry kids, and they’re both from the same situation,” says Kelley. “They’ve lost similar things, and they [came] together.”

DANIEL | “He still misses Emily,” Josh Bowman reports. “She broke his heart, and nothing’s been the same since. He’s back to that give-a-s–t party guy. … But his conscience is still guilt-ridden because of his mother. He’s very weighed down.” That, however, won’t stop him from getting involved with social climber Ashley — though their “relationship” will be much more about lustful feelings than real ones. “He using her just as much as she’s using him,” explains the actor. “His body might be [with her] at times, but mentally he’s in a different realm.”

NOLAN | Everyone’s favorite prepster is getting some lovin’! “We’re bringing in a female love interest,” reveals Kelley. And like with the Nolan/Tyler storyline, the EP doesn’t believe viewers “are going to blink [an eye]” at the billionaire’s new romance. “He’s quite open about whatever he is. I think it’s about the person who’s in front of him.” Meanwhile, Nolan and Emily will be “very much together” as a team, says Mann. “We are definitely in it to win it at this point. I would do anything for her, including compromise my own safety and, to a degree, my own morals.” And now that the show is in its second season, it’ll be expanding its scope to explore Nolan’s own story. “You’re going to find out much more about his background,” hints Mann. “We will start to live maybe a little bit more in the world of Nolcorp.”

JACK | Will the ever-loyal bartender be suspicious about the paternity of Fauxmanda’s rapidly growing baby, which in the season opener is just weeks away from being born? “There’s no way he doesn’t have questions,” says Nick Wechsler. “But his obligation is making him turn a blind eye to certain things.” That said, “At a certain point, he’s going to have to face it.” As for whether torn-apart lovebirds Jack and Emily will have a moment in the premiere, he replies, “No in word, yes in deed” — meaning, expect lots more secret glances. Adds Mann, “Emily [VanCamp] and Nick Wechsler had me crying watching the monitor yesterday. And that was just the first day [of shooting].”

MAMA CLARKE | “As [Emily] learns more and more about what exactly happened and who’s at stake, things evolve,” says Kelley. “The world this year gets much bigger.” To that end, the show will introduce a very major new character in Emily’s mother, to be played by Jennifer Jason Leigh. “She’s one of my very favorite actresses,” gushes the EP. “I was pretty much floored when her representation called and said she’s a huge fan of the show and asked, ‘What do you think about her for the mother?’ I said, ‘How fast can we get this done?’ She can do Single White Female all over this show! We’ll take it!”

Revenge Season 2 premieres Sept. 30 in its new time slot, Sundays at 9/8c.

1. Sal says:

The show takes place in the Hamptons, a beach in Long Island, NY… Manhattan Beach is a beach in Brooklyn, NYC.

Can’t wait for season 2!

2. Jon says:

What??? Nothing about Madeleine Stowe???

3. Overdamoon says:

Uh oh! What happens to Queen Vic? :( She has to have survived that plane crash that nobody witnessed its takeoff or crash.

4. martina says:

I missed the part where Kelley stated that Charlotte, Declan, his stupid hair and bad accent are not coming back for season two :(

5. Kyle says:

WHAT. ABOUT. VICTORIA?!?!?! I still get chills thinking about that final scene w/ her boarding the plane, and “Seven Devils by Florence + the Machine playing.

EPIC!

6. Earl says:

Seriously? A female love interest for Nolan? That’s not okay. Thought we had a gay character with some depth and no apologies.

• zan says:

Nolan is Bi. He said himself that he’s a 3 on the Kinsey scale

• Geo says:

Yes, exactly– he positioned himself as exactly bisexual. And it would actually be good to see a genuinely bisexual male character– not just another story where bisexuality is portrayed as just confusion before the character becomes specifically gay or straight. Though its been open to more gay and lesbian characters, TV hasn’t really done well on representing genuine bisexuals, particularly men. I say more power to the idea of Nolan being with both men and women over the course of the show. There’s a “B” in GLBT, too.

• tripoli says:

Very well said. Completely agree with you.

• kali says:

I agree! Very well said! Thank you for posting this. My husband is bi, and one of the reasons we love this show so much is because of Nolan and how his bisexuality is portrayed.

• Mary says:

I forgot what his number was, so was a little confused at the prospect of a female love interest for him. But it doesn’t matter to me which way he swings as long as we can still have his witty dialogue.

• Irishgirl says:

Nolan is bi. In the episode where he hooked up with Tyler, he said he was a “3 on the Kinsey Scale.”

• dude says:

I’m sure Nolan’s bi but I just don’t buy it. Whenever he was pursuing Ashley, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. He plays Nolan much more gay than ambiguous.

• Melanie says:

I thought the same thing, Earl. This news about the “lady love” is a dealbreaker for me. I won’t be watching season 2 of “Revenge”.

7. JASon says:

I don’t know about this show. Trying to get into it but seems like a low rent Dallas!!

• zan says:

It’s a great show! how many episodes have you watched so far? Emily’s past really pulls at your heart strings and makes you root for her as the season progresses. The story is really well planned out and creates it’s own mythology/history that really draws you in. Also, Madeleine Stowe’s Victoria is pure perfection. Great writing, interesting characters, and splendid acting equals one of the best new dramas.

8. mia says:

Anyone else hoping Amy Acker is playing Nolan’s new lady-love? That would be awesome.

9. Kissan says:

Guys, Victoria and Charlotte’s alive! Lydia’s dead. If u go to wikipedia and type in revenge, go to season 2 and you’ll see Victoria and Charlotte on the main cast.

10. chris says:

Why are they not repeating this show over the summer? I encourage all of you fans to get someone else on board to watch this show from the beginning, I think it’s available online so that when the OMG moments happen in every episode, you have someone to discuss and not only that — they will thank you for showing them what a great show this is.

11. Kalee says:

A LADY love for Nolan???

EFF this s#it! Go back to gay town where you belong! And I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

• Anon says:

Nolan is BI. He was never flat out gay.

• Melanie says:

But he was depicted as being gay. The “3 on the Kinsey scale” snippet of dialogue is the only thing that told us he was possibly open to both genders. Everything else pointed to 100 percent gay. I would’ve liked to see Nolan be a gay character and not bi, since we see so many boy-girl pairings on not just “Revenge” already, but on all of TV. But the thing that upsets me the most is that along with giving him a “lady love”, they’re also changing his *appearance*, too. And that’s how I really know something’s wrong. It’s obvious to me they’re trying to “straighten” Nolan. This is just plain anti-gay. Because even if he’s bi and is going to have a girlfriend for awhile, why would his entire appearance have to change? They’ve cut his hair and are “toning” down his wardrobe. And that is what tells me what’s really going on here. They’re killing Nolan’s identity and everything about him that made him fun to watch. I’ll bet when the show comes back on, he won’t even act or talk the same.

• Mary says:

What exactly pointed him out as 100% gay? He dresses nicely and is sophisticated, but that doesn’t mean he’s gay. Those traits aren’t exclusively gay nor is their a gay check list of personality traits.

When we met Nolan he was a rich tech geek who had no friends. Now he has Emily so because of that maybe he’s changing slightly. You are being paranoid by saying the show is trying to make him straight. If anything, you should be upset that psycho Tyler was considered a love interest.

• Melanie says:

Mary, I think you’re the one who’s upset that Tyler was considered a love interest. I wish you could just come right out and say that you’re a homophobe and that you love the idea of Nolan having a “lady love” since that might be just the thing that retcons the character into being a straight man, which is what you want him to be since “gay is bad” to you, right?

12. June says:

The new season starts September 30, 2012 but i am going to need you to keep me up to date about the time i am a little confused i thought that you guys came on Wednesday night at 9 pm

13. Mulekick74 says:

If you go to tvguide.com and read the similar article there, that reporter actually put this in it: ? “She wants to get ahead in life and Daniel wants to do his own thing,” Bowman said, noting how “guilt-ridden” Daniel is over his mother’s death. ” So….. Victoria is dead?

14. nikki says:

I want some Victoria and Conrad scoop. Why won’t they just kill Declan? Worst character ever

15. Brit says:

I can’t stand Jennifer Jason Leigh on Weeds. Maybe I’ll like her better in Revenge.

16. Most likey Victoria will be dead for a while but then comes out not being dead.

17. Kassandra says:

Excited about the new season! I hope Nolan’s “female love interest” is not long term, mainly because I’m afraid whoever she is will mess with the Nolan/Emily dynamic, which is my favorite thing about Revenge. I love how loyal and devoted Nolan is to Emily – how will his new gf feel about that, I wonder? Could be interesting, I guess. Also, yes, Nolan is bi, but I hardly think psycho Tyler counted as a male “love interest” for Nolan. I hope in future seasons Nolan is allowed to have actual relationships with men as well as women.

18. Candy says:

can’t wait to see the season 2.

19. matt says:

If I’m not mistaken it never showed anyone actually getting on the plane that blew up so they might not of got on the plane that blew.

20. matt says:

I read somewhere a couple months ago that one of the three that they showed that could of died actually did. I’m guessing it was lydia because there is to much of a plot with charlotte and victoria. Victoria and charlotte both have to much of a connection with David Clarke

21. kristy says:

I can not wait for season 2 to start when dose it start will have to wait untill next year foe season 2please say no

22. Tracy says:

Why does not wanting a certain character to be gay make them a homophobe!!!! It is just rediculous that people resort to this! I love Nolan’s character and could care less if he was gay, straight or bi!!!! I do believe he was the most popular character on last season so that tells me that most people didn’t care about him bein into dudes then!!! But all of a sudden since people are excited he will have a lady love interest they are homophobes!!! STUPID IGNORANT PEOPLE! U R JUST AS BAS AS ANY HOMOPHOBE!

23. Tracy says:

Oh and before the grammar police come along to bash me I was typing too fast and spelled ridiculous with an e and bad with an s…. Just another thing u can judge people on!

• Melanie says:

Tracy, let me see if I can spell it out for you why some fans aren’t happy with a “lady love” for Nolan. Right now the only shows that have gay men in them are sitcoms. There’s a sort of “glass ceiling” for lack of a better term for gay male characters. There are none as main characters in any primetime American scripted dramas. So when I happened to tune into Revenge last season and saw such a fascinating gay male character, I was impressed that ABC was daring to be so brilliant. Finally some progress. Nolan wanted the best for Emily, but couldn’t help trying to buy Jack’s friendship for himself at the same time. Then, when he got the chance to help Emily by distracting Tyler, he didn’t hesitate to get intimate with him, and he enjoyed it. This was clearly shown. So, for the show to now try to do a big turn-around and put Nolan with a lady is horribly clumsy and jarring to viewers like myself who were enjoying seeing something fresh and progressive on their TV screen.

24. Laurie W. says:

Give the writers some credit. Everything they put into the plots has a purpose. We may not be crazy about Nolan having a girlfriend, but I’ll bet there’s a good story behind it. Who knows where it will lead? Nolan needed a haircut anyway. And who else is hoping that Fauxmanda’s baby is not Jack’s? I know I am, I don’t like her. She took her new identity way too far. Eight more days! Can’t wait!

25. Lori says:

Is Nolan played by the same actor as in Season one or is it just the haircut?

26. Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

27. Revenge Season 2 Spoilers — New Love Interests for Emily, Nolan, Daniel – TVLine