Mad Men Creator Weighs In on Peggy's Future, Mega-Megan Backlash and the Season 7 Outlook

Elisabeth Moss Jessica PareThough Mad Men creator Matt Weiner famously holds his cards very, very (very) close to the vest, there is one thing he was willing to reveal about Season 6, when TVLine spoke with him about the AMC drama’s latest haul of 17 Emmy nominations.

Peggy, played by Elisabeth Moss, “is going to be on the show next year,” Weiner shared. “I can’t say how much, in what capacity or what [her story] is going to be, but she has not left the show.”

RELATED | Matt Weiner Scoffs at Mad Men‘s ‘Advantage’ in Emmy Race,
Names the No. 1 Threat to Show’s Record 5-Peat as Best Drama

Weiner likens the questioning of Moss’ status to the concerns he fielded after the Drapers headed for divorce a couple seasons back. “Everyone was like, ‘I guess January Jones is off the show,’ and I was like, ‘Why would she be?’ I never understood that.”

But whereas Don is forever connected to Betty through their kids, one could argue that Peggy’s tie to the canvas was mostly through her work at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, and that seemingly ended when she tendered her resignation.

“When people leave Sterling Cooper, sometimes it is the end for [the character],” Weiner allows. “But I will spoil that one tiny piece of anticipation and tell people that Elisabeth will be showing up to work.”

The same Season 5 that saw Peggy bid SCDP farewell also injected a heavy dose of Megan Draper, played by relatively new cast member Jessica Pare. Weiner admits that he “took a couple knocks” for thrusting Don’s new bride into the spotlight, but says it was a necessary follow-through on someone now wed to the show’s lead character.

“You take a huge risk when you don’t do the show you did the year before,” Weiner explains, alluding to how Season 4 ended with Don and Megan’s engagement. “People just hated her. They were like, ‘She’s manipulative! Is he really going to marry her? Hopefully she’ll be gone.’ But I was like, ‘No, this is this guy’s second marriage, and he’s going to take it seriously.”

EYE ON EMMY | Christina Hendricks Reflects on Joan’s Rise, Mad Men‘s One Taboo Twosome

Regardless of so much ado about “Zou Bisou Bisou,” Mad Men is coming off its most-watched season, averaging 2.6 million weekly viewers (up 15 percent over Season 4). And while AMC thus far has only renewed the show for Season 6, Weiner insists that a cycle beyond that is a certainty.

“We cannot rely on the official language of things. There will be a Season 7,” he says. “Jon Hamm is signed on for it, I’m signed on for it… I mean, if Season 6 has one viewer… but I don’t think [ratings] is what it’s about. I think Season 7 has already been internationally sold… It’s going to happen.”

1. Teag says:

Can’t wait for season 6 and 7.

2. april-ann says:

I could see Peggy working for a competing firm and landing coveted SCDP clients before she ultimately returns to SCDP, which would then be called SCDO.

• Dani says:

Hey Bert could choke on a donut, and it might end up just being SDO… Who knows? I’d love for Peggy to come back into the fold with the recognition she deserves, but I get the feeling the pupil will end up outperforming the teacher. Her career is about to go stratospheric with those ladies cigarettes I reckon.

Maybe she’ll end up being Don’s boss.

• Kerry says:

Well, Virgina Slims definitely proved to stand the test of time.

• Sean C. says:

Weiner already said that “You’ve Come A Long Way Baby” is not going to be attributed to Peggy, as he would not do that with a really famous campaign from real life.

• Torgo3K says:

You have to consider: Pete wants his name on the corporation.

• april-ann says:

Maybe so…..but we have to consider that he may not get that before Peggy, depending on the degree of hardball she plays knowing how badly they need to woo her back. How Pete deals with that will be fun for us to watch.

• Jackie says:

She’s definitely up to something delicious for us to watch. What a great cast. Comment on Don’s wife is “she doesn’t fit in” (YET)!!! Don is being too nice. It has to stop!

• Lauren says:

Well, except that Peggy was not a partner – and at this point, Pete and Joan ARE, so either of their initials would probably take precedence in the naming of the firm over Peggy, if she were to return.

3. steveo says:

How cool with SDCO be!?!

4. Yeah I think they are headed down the path of SCDO as well. She had to make a bold move that Don thought she would never make. And now they will have to pay to get her back.

5. TV Gord says:

I’m glad I don’t read too much about this show when the season is underway, because it never occurred to me that Elisabeth Moss would not be back. She’s easily the second lead after Jon Hamm. Also, I love Megan and what her character as done to the show.

It’s too bad the message boards have given some viewers the impression that the creative forces behind the show are obligated to act on our whims. I want to see the show THEY want us to see, not “TV show by committee”.

• Oh I agree and I have a prime example of this. The writer on Lost were guilty of giving in to the whims of viewers who where vocal on the different Lost message boards. That resulted in bringing Kiele Sanchez and whoever that guy was in to play two background survivors that were brought into the mix. Just because people griped they didn’t see enough of what all these other people were doing. And the fans HATED both of them and they had to kill them off. Never. Again.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

That can’t be entirely true. As I recall, those two characters were killed off the very same episode they were introduced, weren’t they? So I don’t think it could have been the fans screaming to kill them off, it had to always be part of the plan when they wrote them in if it all happened the same episode.
        If Weiner is truly writing the show based on what the fans think, then he’s a fool. I hated Megan, but I hope he would never listen to people like me when writing the show, because really, what do we know? And I don’t think Weiner would do that, as he loves that show and those characters with everything he’s got to give. If it makes you guys feel better, even though I’m vocal on what I dislike about shows, I would never expect a showrunner to bend to my whim. I hope others would feel the same. I can complain and still be trustful of a showrunner. I know it’s a dichotomy, but that’s how I personally feel.

• Your recollection about Lost is not correct. Not only did Carlton and Damon say publicly that they introduced the characters because they had so much feedback that viewers wanted that, they also killed them off for the same reasons. Viewers hated them. They were not killed off in one single episode. They were on the show for an entire season.

• I believe that was the writer strike shortened season, but they were regulars and are credited in 14 episodes though they did not appear in all of them.

• Crap I take that back. It was the season before the short season and they killed them off about half way through in ep 14. That was not the plan for them. the other one was Rodrigo Santoro.

• Debbie says:

Totally agree.

• peb says:

Also think that Megan is a good addition to the show, and brought out more aspects of Don’s character. Elizabeth Moss is an excellent actress…wondering if Peggy might even end up as Don’s boss someday.

• TLD says:

I was a little surprised to see the anti-Megan comments all over the web, too. I was prepared NOT to like her at the end of Season 4, but I think her character provides a nice balance to the show. Megan is more or less the same generation as Peggy, but Megan’s upbringing was French-Canadian, whereas Peggy grew up Brooklyn-Catholic. Peggy is on a journey of self-discovery, but Megan seems to have had that sense of self since she was a little girl, in spite of the inevitable issues created by her parents. I like that Megan is a free spirit and that she hasn’t lost that sense of spiritedness even in the face of Don’s chauvinism. With Peggy, every act of liberation is her decision to go down one path (toward the future) or the other (toward the past), whereas when Megan commits a liberated act, it seems like it’s part of her natural personality. This is much more representative of what women went through in the 60s – for some it was a conscious, weighty decision, for others, as natural as the air that they breathed.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

Mitovich, you missed an opportunity. The headline should have read “Mad Men creator weighs in on Peggy’s future! Mega-Megan backlash! And the season 7 outlook!” You know, with lots of exclamation points.
    I love Elisabeth Moss, and I want to keep her on the show, but I’m not too thrilled about following the stories of a second advertising firm. I don’t like it when focus is pulled off the characters who have been around forever. The Betty side stories I can handle because it’s still about her and the kids, but I just see a bunch of the future episodes involving Peggy in a new office with all new characters that we’ve never met and don’t care too much about, and then characters like Harry and Pete get the shaft as far as their story lines go. Again.
    Here’s the thing with me and Megan. I did find her manipulative, yes. I was one of those people screaming that. The episode that did her in for me was two seasons ago when she first went into Don’s office to “learn” about advertising and shut that door and proceeded to have sex with him on the office couch. I’ve listened to the DVD commentaries, and someone (either Jessica Pare or Weiner himself) insisted that it was never the intention she went in there to seduce him, she really did just want to learn about advertising, and I could never buy it. And I know it’s the same thing a lot of other women have done with Don, just fall into bed with him the second they meet him. And I cannot figure out why I felt so differently about her than I did Don’s other women. I think it might be that she never grew on me the way some of the others did. Like I hated Bobbie Barrett when she first came on, but really grew to like her and her giant personality. I’m not sure why I couldn’t grow to like Megan. Maybe it was because the marriage proposal was so sudden and surprising. That thing really came out of the blue. Or maybe it was her complete lack of emotional damage in life that made her so unlikeable. Hard to say.

• Sam says:

I felt the same way about Megan’s character. I think it was that emotional connection I was developing for Don’s other romantic interest at the time (Dr. Faye). I felt that Faye’s story was much more gravitating. Also, at the time, I thought that Megan had the dream every other secretary had:marry your boss (rich man) to support you for the rest of your life (the advice Joan gave Peggy on the first episode).

• Sarah says:

I disliked Megan because she seduced Don when she knew he was with Faye. She also knew he was with Faye when she agreed to marry him. She’s a homewrecker and I can’t stand those types of women. That’s why I hoping Don cheats on her.

• Mirror says:

Excuse you?? And what about Don? Is he a little angel then? A little innocent thing ~~lured~~ by that Canadian mistress wanton of the night?? Megan could have tried the hardest and still if Don hadn’t wanted to, nothing would have happened. He isn’t a little child with no will, you know. He is an adult who decided to cheat on Betty and Faye. Homewreckers are the ones who decide to cheat on their partners. They are the ones who wreck their own homes. You are the kind of woman who will blame other women for being with a married man and then ignore the married man’s doings, and I can’t stand that kind of woman.

• Sarah says:

I never said Don was an agel. I think he’s and A hole. But he’s an A hole I pity. I don’t pity Megan. I think she’s just a selfish boring character. Yes a lot of characters are selfish such as Joan and Betty but at least they’re interesting. Also, it’s okay for me to dislike a homewrecker. I dislike cheating spouses too.

• andre says:

how can you pity him. he is a Benedick Arnold handing out justice to lane. desertion deserves the death penalty not fraud. I know i was in the jungles of nam. anyway I hope lanes wife comes back and takes him down . she’s not stupid (her last scene showed that) sociopath do not deserve pity.

7. Saint Alicia says:

Glad to hear Moss/Olson isn’t being pushed out/leaving Mad Men. Peggy’s storyline is one of the most compelling plots running through the show and it’d be a shame to drop it (for Megan or whatever reason). I don’t dislike Megan but I’m much more interested/invested in the original/established characters Peggy/Joan/Betty and would rather see their stories told. That said, season 5 was fantastic and a return to form of sorts (yet a departure as well), and I’m looking forward to seasons 6 and 7.

8. MMUberFan says:

Jessica Pare’s subpar acting has ruined every scene she’s in, which is a lot, for me. Please do not bring her back for the remaining seasons.

Otherwise, season 5 is stellar and well written and acted by the rest of the cast.

• Dale says:

I don’t know if it is her acting or that Megan is so irritating, but she comes off as a spoiled little girl…… kinda put on, but if that is Megan’s personality then the actress is spot on,,,,just haven’t warmed up to her, but in the beginning Joan Harris was a little over the top, but found out it was the way Joan was and not Christina;s personality……..confused?

• tripoli says:

I think it’s a bit of both. Her acting doesn’t slay me, but I think she does a fair job in portraying the spoiled little girl that Megan is.

• Baz says:

As the lead actress in season five, Pare as Megan, was placed front and center ahead of Moss yet was ignored by the Emmys while Moss was nominated in said category.

Megan’s character is not the problem. Pare’s amateur handling of it is; to the extent that I fast forward through her emoting because they are cringeworthy.

Crossing fingers that this glaring lack of recognition for Pare’s futile efforts is a wake up call for less of to zero Megan moving forward with season six and seven.

• godzilla's foil says:

Maybe it’s just me not reading too much into it, but I find Megan to be just another character. Not manipulative (why would that be?), maybe a little spoiled (but that’s the whole demeanor of the new generation she represents). Paré’s acting seems completely normal to me, not sub-par, not as outstanding as Jared Harris’. In other words: just another character. BTW, her interactions with Sally are great in which Sally has a bitch for a mother and Megan seems to understand the girl a little better.

• Kristine says:

Sure, Jessica Pare’s role repeats her real life, failed actress.

• Sarah says:

Am I the only one who misses Don and Betty together? He was just so much more interesting with her. Like how he was his Dick Whitman self with his mistresses and the man he wanted to be ( Don Draper) with Betty. It’s hard to hear him say he’s happier with Megan because he never even gave Betty the chance to love him for him.

• Peggy G says:

I agree with you, her acting is not nearly as good as the rest of the cast and yet they give her so many scenes. I thought the emphasis of the show was supposed to be the ad agency and not their home life. She should be more in the background.

9. Where The Hell is Rickon says:

I thought Pare was fantastic this season. I don’t understand where the negative reception is coming from. It’s a show set in reality, new people show up sometimes, get over it. She wasn’t manipulative, she never asked anything of Don prior to him proposing to her.

• Beth Blumer says:

I agree…surprised at the venom…what is THAT all about? Betty is a depressed and angry person, who takes no responsibility for her own happiness.

• Dusty Rhodes says:

i agree. i loved how pare’s character developed over this season… and she can play the part…. shes also hot….. love the sixties look on her, when she goes out with don….. hot hot hot….

waiting for don to grow his hair long and wear beads, and nehru jackets….

• magdehla says:

I totally agree. I think the point of Megan’s character is to make the other characters feel uncomfortable. She is kinda thrown into the mix. The other characters are not sure how to react to her yet. I think the writers and Pare did such a good job of getting this feeling across that the viewers are reacting and empathizing with other characters. That is were the distain stems from

10. I’ve tried to rewatch last season, and I couldn’t even do it, all because of Megan. I considered fast-forwarding through all of the Megan parts, but there’s just too much.

• RC says:

I agree. I can’t stand her.

• godzilla's foil says:

I’d like people to tell why that is. And not “because she’s manipulative or spoiled”. Give real reasons.

• Dani says:

Thank you! She’s such a one dimensional character. Her and Don’s marriage make me miss Don and Betty together. I was sad when Betty didn’t want to be with Don after he confessed because he would have been faithful to her since it was his lie that caused him to cheat.

11. rhicsj1 says:

Can’t wait for season 6 and see where things left off! Yes, thought Megan was a bit whiny at the end of season 5 but thought she has been great addition to the show. The tipping point for her was when her father told her that he was surprised she didn’t persue her dreams, then later the mother discourages her with the “not every girl get’s to become a ballerina” comment. Before that, her support of Don in and out of the office and vice versa was very refreshing to watch.

12. We need some Don and Betty interaction in the form of a glorious affair.

13. Buffa says:

I think the next season is really going to open up the Swinging 60’s!

14. Leigh says:

I liked Megan. She was one of the more genuine and relatable characters from last season. But I wouldn’t mind dialing her presence down a bit and beefing up some of the regulars: Joan, Betty, Peggy, and maybe give Roger a place to go emotionally. But Megan wasn’t a problem for me in Season Six.

• rhicsj1 says:

Same here….thought Megan is a great addition to the show. Definitely interested to see how they’re relationship evolves in next season

• topoopon says:

I like Don and Megan better than Don and Betty. Even before they fatted her up, I HATED Betty, and thought she was a horrible person/character. Meagan has not only made Don a better man, but her youth makes their marriage fun! I also enjoy the Sally/Meagan friendship.

15. DSBC says:

Don’s spouse-switching from Betty to Megan is indicative of the changing status of women from the early 1960s (essentially an extension of the 1950s) to the late 1960s (the precursor of the 1970s for Boomer women). Megan is not quite a Boomer, but she’s in no way a WW2 veteran’s wife. I think Weiner’s writers handled this very well. I would have been equally happy to see Don’s fling with his daughter’s first-grade teacher develop into something more substantial.

Consider how after too many cast changes the Emmy-winning series ‘L. A. Law’ petered out to the degree that eventually no one really cared about the firm. It appears Weiner is trying hard not to let the same thing happen to ‘Mad Men’.

16. TSL says:

Would love to see Peggy hook up with Don; she understands him better than any female character on the show. What a power team that would be!

17. Lynne GOddard says:

love, love, love what you did with this season! amazing cast and the writing is superb! Go Peggy!

18. sneha says:

Megan didn’t really bother me. But how they start their affair was rather manupilative. I want to see a torrid affair between Betty and Don next. No matter how much I try to understand Don, I fail. His insatiable search for sex/love/support is full of surprises. Peggy and he should hook up. Peggy’s come back as his boss, would be AWESOME

19. sneha says:

Can’t wait for season 6 & 7

20. Team Megan says:

I want to drop acid with Roger.

21. RC says:

I hate Megan!!!! She is whiny, annoying and has ugly teeth!!!! Betty was so much more interesting.

22. Brett says:

does anyone know when season 6 will start? Please don’t tell me March 2013.

23. David McGovern says:

Love Megan! Love the dynamic that has emerged between her and Don – he was so much larger than life and so I think people are underestimating how strong Megan is to have made him change some of his ways.

Peggy is great too and her journey is great viewing. Glad to hear we are going to still see how her life unfolds.

The one character who I think is in danger of becoming a caricature is Peter. He wants to be Don but does not have Don’s ability to detach himself from his choices or the same level of self-awareness. His affair with the ‘disturbed’ woman illustrates Peter’s lack of capacity to see beyond his own needs and desires – and that is a person you can quickly not care about!

24. sjay says:

I liked Megan this season. No problem with Pare’s acting whatsoever.

25. Kathee says:

I liked Season 5 and Megan was a great addition to the cast. Can’t wait for Season 6.

26. Kendall says:

First off, there’s no surprise in Peggy coming back. She’s the other lead character in the show, so much more than just a supporting role like Price was.
    Megan… Well, I hope all the foreshadowing in the last episode is what I think it is. Looks like Don is going back to his old adulterous ways(about time).
    But I think the true new power team of this show has got to be Sally Draper and her new grandmother. I laughed so hard whenever either of them were on, mainly Sally though, she’s great.
    One last thing, fat Betty is such a better character than thin Betts.

Can’t wait for season 6!

• Sean C. says:

Weiner gave an interview recently where he said he doesn’t think the ending necessarily means Don is going to cheat again.

• Dani says:

I think Don will cheat because it’s what he did whenever he felt like crap. He never cheats when he’s happy and he was happy this whole season until the end. Plus it’s what Megan deserves. She made him cheat on Faye who I liked very much.

• mireee says:

Sorry, I forgot Megan put a gun to Don’s head and made him cheat on Faye. Did she also make him cheat on Betty?

• Sarah says:

I was just saying that what goes around should come back around. I liked Faye and Don together. And I do think Don is a jerk for cheating on Faye and Betty but in his defense, he never tired to cheat on them. He was always seduced and if you notice, he only caved in when he was feeling like crap. In Don and Betty’s marriage, whenever he was happy all he wanted to do was spend time with Betts and the kids but when he wasn’t he’d spend time with his mistress. I was just pointing out that he’s been happy this whole season and now that he isn’t and a woman is seducing him at the bar, I’m sure he will cave in since according to MW,Don steps out of his marriage ( to Betty) for the same reason he drinks and smokes, it’s his way of dealing with his lie.

27. Stuart McArthur says:

I also loved Megan. I found her acting quite assured and complex. The way she phrased things always left you intrigued and in two minds, which is signature Mad Men. Also she is so representative of the sixties, being bouncy, ambitious, and self-assured but vulnerable. She’s not intimidated by Don or in awe of him, but she loves him on an equal level, sees through his motives, and is not prepared to take nonsense from him. She has all the qualities that Don always wished Betty had, so their marriage makes sense.

• Dani says:

The only thing that Don’s marriage lacked with Betty was the communication. He seemed to be very much in love with Betty but he could never open up to her the way he could with his mistresses and Megan. According to Jon Hamm, it was because Don felt inferior to Betty and feels equal to Megan. Which sucks because I actually miss Don and Betty together.

• Dana says:

And Megan is not boring! Interesting character, multi- faceted as an independent young woman in the changing 60’s. I find it cruel that people say she is ugly or should fix her teeth. Her irregular mouth gives her beauty more depth, as in Brooke Sheilds’s eyebrows in the 70’s. She’s quite a stunning beauty! Also, she is not a home wrecker, Don was on the market and fair game.

• anna says:

She got engaged to Don while he was in a relationship with Faye.

• Danah says:

Don was fairgame? Than why did Don fight the urge to sleep with Megan? He kept telling her no. And why did Don have to break up with Faye after the trip to California? You probably need to go and watch Tommorrowland again.

28. Bill says:

Loved Megan’s character and watching Don deal with a woman who was both independent and who actually seemed to care about him.

I foresee more movie theater meetings between Don and Peggy ahead, perhaps as she starts doing more and more work that gets noticed by Don, Roger and Bert.

29. mama says:

I like Megan. But her character was introduced and married to Don Draper rather awkwardly. It didn’t make sense. Now….Draper is on his second marriage. However, given his character flaw with women, I suspect (and don’t disappoint me!) he will be unable to be faithful to any woman. Don has become rather bland with Megan: “Mr. Happy DoGood”. This is contrary to his character and seems strange. I want to see more of Betty and her marriage to Henry Francis. She should have a happy marriage. I didn’t see her as an unhappy person in general, but unhappy in her marriage to Don (who wouldn’t be?). I like the dynamics between Betty and Henry, and I would like to continue to see them resolving their problems and being happy. Henry is a kind, honest man….please don’t change that about him. I like his mom….she is the right amount of good and evil. All the characters are pretty multidimensional. You start out hating (or liking them), and later see another aspect of their personalities. Very much like real life. Very consistent, wonderful show….except for the “new, happy, faithful, improved Don”. I wouldn’t mind seeing some faithful characters, but they should stay true to their nature. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the show!!!!!

• Dani says:

He won’t stay faithful. Matt Weirner said his affairs are how he medicates himself. That’s why he didn’t say no to the girl at the bar when she asked him if he was alone.

30. mama says:

PS….I want Salvatore back!!

31. Barbara Wochholz says:

The story unfolds as Matt is telling us about the life/rebirth of Dick Whitman/Don Draper. Is it any wonder that he struggles so to love and be loved? I can so identify with Betty as she shoo’s the kids off to watch tv..and did not understand the impact of Granpa Gene’s death to Sally. Poor Betty. But now with Megan (Pare does a great acting job of her egosentric self) Don has to review his past actions and man up to his need to be true at least to himself the best he can. We do the best we can with the information that we have at any giving situation and time. That said, I so look forward to the character development of Peggy/Moss and the future of the advertising business and times of the 60’s+. Such an exciting time..I was there!

32. rhicsj1 says:

Peggy was interesting in Season 1-3, but she seemed to reach that glass ceiling after the heinz pitch that they didn’t like. Her personal life is interesting to watch – just as she tells her mother that she’ll be living together with her Jewish boyfriend.

33. BOnnie O'Leary says:

I’d like to see Peggy’s involvement in the other agency launch a very successful career for her, and have a whole second cast created at agency #2. It would be interesting to get behind the scenes of how agencies try to seduce each other’s clients or put their bids in for the same client. I think it would add a great dimension to the show, SDCP and the competitor.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I agree w/Bonnie’s comment – I’m hoping MW and team will spend some time in season 6 showing Peggy at agency#2 – CGC – Cutler Gleason & Chaough. I think there could be some interesting story lines developed there, and maybe a possible SCD[C&H] and CGC ‘merger’ near the end of season 6 to help fill up that new second floor at SCD and get Peggy back to SCD.

In particular, Ted Chaough’s character at CGC has some real potential – he can be a creep, always worried about Don (a lot like Pete), but some of his insights into Peggy’s potential contributions to CGC in episodes 5.11 [Other Woman] and 5.13 [Phantom] were spot-on. Ted may indeed be quite ‘Don-like’, very insightful when it comes to advertising. I can see Ted and Peggy hitting it off, at least professionally – perhaps more?

I watched some earlier episodes of season 4 to get reacquainted with CGC and Ted Chaough, and one character I’d like to see more of is Ted’s wife, Nan. She appeared in episode 4.5 [The Chrysanthemum/ Sword'], and just at first glance, Ted and Nan may not be a perfect match – Nan showing some disgust with the ‘always-on’ advertising mode of her husband. I’d like to learn/see more of how those two got together – she a bit older than he. That can’t be by accident of casting – there must be a reason for that age difference between Nan and Ted.

Would be interesting to see the dynamic between Nan and Don – perhaps two kindred spirits. That would make for an interesting storyline – new Don territory…not going for someone younger, but perhaps someone older, his own age.

• Vit says:

I’d like to see more development on personal life of characters – Peggy’s child (no mention of it for all seasons!), Peggy-Pete, Don’s past (otherwise, what was the point bringing it up), Betty would probably end up in the asylum… Otherwise, the show becomes repetitive – meetings, new clients, bla-bla-bla…. And you ask yourself at the end of the season: ‘And what?’

• Floretta says:

Peggy’s child was given up for adoption (NOT to her sister or mother or any other relative) at birth and the last mention of him was when she told Pete about it, way back in Season 3?? Done deal, no mystery child showing up on anyone’s doorstep. He’s gone, for good.

• cat says:

I doubt the show the money to add a whole second cast.

34. Sue says:

I like Megan too. She’s exciting, adventurous, challenging, smart, brave, humble, not shy and a great match to Don in many ways. Some ppl are angry with her because she’s new to the show, she has stolen Don’s heart and couldn’t accept the fact that she’s married to the handsome & dashing lead character. Then things start to change. In real life too, ppl want to see changes & encourage other ppl to move forward and not backward. I think she and Don do have a fantastic chemistry. I wish to see they finally have a child in the coming seasons. I must agree that Jessica Pare is an excellent addition to the show !

35. emma says:

Peggy will end up with Don, against all odds. Not Don’s type but she’ll actually be the only woman he ever respected, which will make her the one.
    Pare’s acting is nothing fantastic, Jones’ acting is even worse and Don clearly has a thing for trophy wives

• april-ann says:

I hope not. I never liked it when Roxanne and Arnie got together. IMO It just wasn’t right. Don’s working relationships seem more sacred than his personal ones. She’d still be special and respected by him but not in a personal way, romantic or sexual. I admire the acting talent of Pare and Jones on this show (as well as all the actors, the writing and the directing, it is all superb).

• Floretta says:

No she won’t, Matt W has said as much. They are colleagues, period.

36. c says:

Megan is a pouting spoiled princess that Matthew Weiner happens to be infatuated with. Betty never got the amount of attention from the writers that Megan got this season even though she is a far more interesting character. I hate that Betty is treated as a villain after everything Don has done to her yet we’re supposed to worship Megan and thinks she’s perfect just because Weiner does.

37. Danielle says:

Its hard when mummy and daddy split. Then daddy finds a younger, hotter wife. Change can be awful. Like new characters. But Megan is spunky and hip and has a better relationship with her stepdaughter than Betty. But i dont think she is going to stand for Don’s womanising as from the last ep of season 5, it looks like he will be back to his old ways. Love you Megan!!! BEST EVER TV SHOW! Love where you take us Matthew! Dont ever get rid of Roger, he is my favourite!

38. cat says:

It’s going to be hard to intergrate Peggy into the show now she won’t be working with the other main characters. And using Betty as an example of where her character is going isn’t very reassuring given how Betty has been treated these past two seasons.

• Dani says:

Things will be better for Betty in season six. She’s been really bitter in the last two seasons but when she’s happy, she’s sweet and charming.

39. Annie says:

To me Megan is completely forgettable. When I think about this last season I can barely remember the scenes she was in and she was in way too many. I have gone back to the beginning of the show and it amazing to see how much the characters have evolved. Love her or hate her, Betty is NOT forgettable and she was completely different at the start of the series. She was so sweet and tried very hard to be a good wife and mother. While Don is out cheating on her every chance he gets and giving his money away to other women and putting Betty down and insulting her on a regular basis. I remember the way men used to treat woman (and some neanderthals still do) so it is understandable why Betty becomes bitter and resentful over time. Plus Betty is dealing with the loss of her mother and gets absolutely no sympathy or empathy from anyone!
    I didn’t mean for this to be a rant about Betty but I feel she has been greatly maligned by the fans and she didn’t deserve it. JJ is a fantastic actress. Go back and watch seasons 1 & 2.
    Drop Megan bring back Betty! More Peggy and Joanie PLEASE!!

• Dani says:

I agree with some of what you said. I think Betty is very interesting and probably more complex than Don. She’s one of my favorite characters. But I don’t think Don was that bad to her. When he wasn’t cheating on her or being so possessive with her, he was a good husband. He did his best to make her happy but because their marriage lacked communication, he didn’t know why she was so unhappy but it bothered him. And yes, Megan is totally forgettable.

• cat says:

Great post. I really miss Betty too.

40. ozzie65 says:

For all of this boards good insights, some of you are ridiculous. Betty was “fat” because January Jones was pregnant and they were working around her pregnancy. That is how Betty’s storyline came about. But isn’t it interesting how everyone vamped on it b/c the current obsession with thinness started in this era of thr 60’s. Megan and Don are from two different eras and it’s starting to show. Megan is a boomer (she is 22 or so) Don is not- he is a depression era child. What made Megan interesting is the way she brings Sally along to adulthood. Sally and Glen will be at Woodstock in no time. I would also like to drop acid with Roger. I expect to ses him in a nehru jacket before Don. Don is turtlenecks and slacks all the way.

• Floretta says:

Don is 40 (that was why Megan threw him a birthday party) and she’s 25, not really a Boomer – she’d have to have been born a few years later to qualify. Glen, maybe, but Sally will be only 15 in 1969– not likely she’ll be there.

41. figgy53 says:

While Megan is controversial I think she was absolutely critical to Don’s evolution and “rebirth” as one commenter above puts it. Even though I think Mad Men portrays some fantastically complex female characters, nearly all of them are also foils for Don and parts of his personality–Joan (both she and Don are sexually objectified and also use sex manipulatively), Peggy (clearly the creative/career driven aspect), Betty (Don’s desire for idealized, romantic love which is ultimately proven to be a surface/superficial illusion-remember Betty was a model when they met) and now Megan (romantic love that is based on a more mature, deeper level; ironic that it is younger Megan who can inspire this in Don). Plus, how can I hate a character who inspired Don to write the most heart stopping love letter: “Lovely Megan, I went out to buy a lightbulb. When i get back, I’ll see you better.” Love this show.

• Dani says:

I liked the letter Don wrote for Betty when he was apologizing to her for cheating on her. It was sweet and heartfelt.

• cat says:

You consider a lame note like that a heart stopping love letter? Really? And there is nothing mature about Don and Megan’s father-daughter marriage.

• Blair says:

Thank you for telling people how they feel or should feel. Is that a one-way street or can I play too? Because if I can then I can tell you YOU’RE wrong in how you feel and any other opinion expressing otherwise is simply ‘wrong’. Love the letter. Embrace the letter. Accept it. Applaud it. So there. :)

42. PatNixon says:

Don and Sally both need a “hip” chick to guide both of them to the “summer of love,” preferably one that will generate an interest by the FBI in Dick/Don. I vote for the Blonde in the Bar, since Megan is NOT that person. I like Betty, and think she is essential to the continuing plot, particularly as she is Sally’s mother. Don and Betty both have parental issues, so how they deal with their own children will continue to fascinate us in the same way it always has. Peggy will always be a “touchstone” for Don, in the same way that Anna was.

43. Joanne says:

Thank you so much for this article. I was pretty worried about this. I love Peggy. And I like Megan too:-)

44. Blair says:

I’m surprised reading some of the comments here. As a new viewer to Mad Men, MEGAN is what drew me in. The show has been on the air for several years now but it never caught my attention until “Zou Bisou” became this internet sensation. Watching that and the actresses’ sexy, playful, charming portrayal is what raised my curiosity towards the series. The more I saw (regarding Megan and her relationship with Don), the more I was hooked. I think the actors look fantastic together and really add different layers to their characters. I’m not from the generation Mad Men is centered around so seeing someone young, hip, spunky, sexy, trendy and carefree like Megan really appeals to me. The creator of this show should know the internet is not always the best place for viewer feedback. First of all, it’s filled with negative, nasty people who think they’re still in highschool and act like mean girls/jocks; and secondly, it’s not even made up of HALF the viewing audience! Didn’t they say this was the best season Mad Mens’ ever had, ratings-wise? That’s impressive. Evidently not all people feel the same way about Megan some posters (mostly women and I say this as one) feel about her. Any show would be utterly boring if it remained the same and didn’t progress. Change is necessary. I hope I DO see more of Megan next year because nobody else on that dull, old, boring canvas appeals to me the way she does. I like her interactions with all the characters. And the actress does a great job playing her various emotions. She’s the only women on that show that doesn’t look or act robotic or resemble a women who’s your typical office gossiper.

Is there any way I can contact Mr. Weiner to let him know how much I have enjoyed Megan and her relationship with Don this season?

45. Blair says:

I would also like to add, the internet is very deceiving. Especially message boards about television shows. Sometimes what looks like “mega backlash” or overwhelming negative opinions are simply the same posters commenting tirelessly over and over about the same hateful things hoping a positive shift will occur in their favor or people will eventually see things through their eyes.

Mr. Weiner needs to rely on his own instincts and tell his own story without catering to a minority simply because they’re more vocal then the happily satisfied bunch. I love many shows but never visit their message boards to express as much. Satisfied customers seldom call up Customer Service to convey how much they love a product/service or how happy they are. They just enjoy it. DISSATISFIED customers, however, will make sure their opinions/frustrations are heard. Just saying.

• No says:

Yes, it is deceiving because Jessica Pare’s PR team can post on message boards over and over again trying to make it look like she’s more popular than she really is.

• Duh says:

Stupid. And who’s to say a few Jessica/Megan “H8Rs” aren’t going around to different message boards “over and over” trying to make it look like she’s more UNpopular then she really is? See how that works.

• Sarah says:

The fact that she was like the only actress to not get a nomination should have been a huge slap in the face to her. She was a big part of season five and EM was the one who got the nomination. Which she deserves. She plays Peggy so perfectly. I’m sorry to say, but Jessica Pare is a terrible actress. She doesn’t seem to have any kind of chemistry with the other actors. I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees that.

• Team Megan says:

Maybe it’s the character Megan who doesn’t have chemistry with the other characters, rather than the actress. Besides, she seems to have chemistry with Don and Sally.

46. Carol says:

More Roger, more Joan (perhaps a reunion), more Betty, more Don, of course. Megan injected an interesting element…the 60s, etc., but while Jessica Pare is French Canadian, not enough of this is injected into Megan’s character, which I would find interesting. I’ve never found Peggy convincing or compelling. It started with her getting pregnant in the late 50s through a one-night stand, which was not convincing. She is not that convincing to me as a career woman. Not good-looking enough for one thing (is that catty enough for you, guys?)

47. Billie Jean Amani says:

Peggy will be back, but not in a way that really matters.

She’ll be just like Betty. After Don and Betty’s divorce, she showed up for a few minutes here and there, scattered across a half-dozen episodes.

That’s exactly how Peggy will return. And frankly, it won’t mean much at all.

• Sarah says:

Really? I think Peggy is a huge part of the show. she’s the girl I’m always rooting for. I would also like to see more of Betty. It would be great to see some flash backs of her childhood. She seems like she went through a lot.

• Team Megan says:

What, are you psychic or something? You seem very certain about this.

48. Jess says:

At first I really disliked Megan, but I actually enjoyed her character on season 5. She is very interesting now.

I don’t want to meet a whole lot of new characters on another agency. I want more focus on the characters we’ve already got. Specially Pete, Harry and Ken, who have have been underused in the last few seasons.

49. Jackie says:

Megan has got to go!!! Don will have a rude awakening (soon I hope).

50. Guest says:

I may be the only one but I’m okay with seeing less Peggy. I want to see less Sally and that creepy Glen kid as well. I don’t care about their teenage dramas. I hope Betty discovers herself like a lot of women did in the late sixties and I hope Megan leaves Don for a guy her own age.