Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Glee, Once Upon a Time, Happy Endings, Parenthood and More!

What new problems await the Glee club? Will “happily ever after” continue to elude Once Upon a Time‘s Charmings? Will a second go at Parenthood put Julia and Joel to the test? How is the Happy Endings gang now paying the bills? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from fall and summer shows.

Glee | So get this: Winning nationals may turn out to be the worst thing to happen to New Directions! As such, Mr. Schue will have his work cut out for him. “We’ve never been on top before,” Matthew Morrison explains, “so the season starts with [the questions of] A) How do you stay on top? And B), how do you keep those spirits up and try to do it again? And with a whole new crop of people.” Indeed, ND will get an infusion of new blood as a result of its shiny new trophy. “Now it’s the ‘cool club’ in school — everyone wants to be a part of it – and Will is having a hard time trying to find people who are passionate about performing,” Morrison says. “It’s a whole new slew of problems.”

RELATED | Get Fall Premiere Dates for Glee, Raising Hope, Bones and More Fox Shows

Happy Endings | New (and neutered) careers will be a theme in Season 3 of this ABC com, according to exec producer Jonathan Groff. For one, he says, “We’re going to see more of Jane at work” — including, TVLine hears, her gig a Volkswagen dealership. (The show’s dream get to play her boss? Dan Aykroyd.) Brad, as you recall, was laid off in the April finale, “So we’re going to see how he bounces back from that… or doesn’t,” says Groff. “He’s going to have trouble with both working and not working.” In fact, in an act of desperation (or more likely giddy distraction), Brad may join one of his buds in his own new job. “In addition to the limo, Max will dabble in the world of bar mitzvah hype,” Groff shares, “being one of those guys who ‘gets the party started.'”

RELATED | Fall Premiere Dates for Happy Endings, Once Upon a Time and More ABC Shows

Breaking Bad | If you wondered if DEA agent Merkert’s lament – that Gus Fring “was somebody else completely … right under my nose” – put a bug in Hank’s ear and might put him back on Heisenberg’s (aka Walt’s) trail, you’d probably be right. As the acclaimed AMC drama unspools its final season, “We are not going to shy away from that confrontation,” Dean Norris, who plays Hank, assures. After all, with Gus gone and Walt and Jesse seemingly free to reign as meth kings, “That’s the only conflict left, and they’ve been setting it up for four years. How that plays out we can’t say,” Norris hedges, “but it’s gonna happen.”

Alphas | Lord of the Rings vet Sean Astin’s two-episode arc doesn’t arrive until October, but according to Laura Mennell, it will be worth the wait. In fact, his Alpha is among her favorite newbies of the season. “Sean has a really cool character, one who has the ability to be able to retain the memories of other people,” Nina’s portrayer shares. “When I started reading that script, I was like, ‘Oh wow!’ And he’s such a phenomenal actor, so… it’ll be exciting to see what he does.” Mennell also sings the praises of Katie Douglas, the ingenue who plays Young Nina in Episode 4. “Azita [Ghanizada, Rachel] was like, ‘Why aren’t you playing teenage Nina?’ But when I saw the girl they cast, I saw why. She basically looks 13, so that might have been a stretch for me!”

RELATED | Alphas Welcomes Back Summer Glau, Recruits Sean Astin, Lauren Holly and Others

Covert Affairs | Auggie may have survived pirates this week, but the next three episodes just may get the best of him. “He’s not an addict, but to can use that terminology, you see him hit bottom,” Christopher Gorham told us. “You see Auggie go to a place you know he would never want to be and certainly would not want anyone ever to see him at.” That dire downturn is what will lead him to the couch of CIA shrink Dr. Suzanne Wilkins (played by One Tree Hill alum Daniella Alonso). The straw that breaks Auggie’s proverbial back? “It is very personal,” Gorham hints.

Once Upon a Time | As predicted by Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas, the Charming family reunion might not exactly be all hugs. As EP Eddy Kitsis explains, “Emma is a character who her entire life wanted to meet her parents — and now she’s met them. But this isn’t exactly how she pictured it, and that’s not an easy thing to deal with.” And getting to know their grown daughter won’t be the only thing on Mary and David’s plate, as their “happy ending” continues to prove elusive. “It would be awfully cruel to torture them continually, but in the same respect, there’s drama in every relationship,” EP Adam Horowitz previews. That said, “The drama that they experienced in Season 1 is not the same drama that we want to put them through in Season 2. We want to take that relationship in a new [direction].” P.S. On the casting front, watch for Episode 4 to feature a shady fairytale land denizen who is involved in the backroom bartering of “unusual antiquities.”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Exclusive: A Teen Wolf Bites Into the Role of [Spoiler]

Parenthood | Remember how Season 3 ended, way, way back in February, with Julia and Joel welcoming to their home, no, not Zoe’s newborn but the 9-year-old son of a freshly incarcerated woman? Yeah, that’s likely to shake up their household, and in unanticipated ways. “I have no doubt it’s going to cause a rift with our daughter,” Sam Jaeger ventures – if only because Sydney was expecting to be a doting big sister. “I think the drama’s going to come a bit from having two kids the same age.” Plus, the new arrival may not be as accepting of his new stead as some benign baby would be, and that in turn could put his new ‘rents on guard. “Joel has always been a constant, but I would imagine if I had a 9-year-old son that wasn’t ready to be my son, that’d be a difficult situation to navigate,” Jaeger offers. “This kid has got to be pretty defiant.”

Raising Hope | Are Jimmy and Sabrina heading for a wedding? Lucas Neff told me that amidst all sorts of “traumatic things happening in the Chance household” during Season 3 – including some packed into a two-part October episode – there specifically are “some changes for Jimmy – a big life step is about to happen for him that I’m very excited about.” So, is Jimmy going to pop the question…? “I can’t speak to that,” Neff deflected with a wide grin. “I’m just saying, ‘Tune in Tuesdays at 8/7 Central, on Fox’!”

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman and Meg Masters)

1. Teag says:

Quite enjoyed the Breaking Bad scoop. And Happy Endings.

2. Ali says:

I’m actually pretty excited about the choir room stuff on Glee, but the fact that I’m excited about it and can see the potential if the writers apply themselves means I’m going to end up disappointed. Anyways, Once Upon A Time should be amazing no matter what, so I’m excited for anything they throw at me – especially the Snow/Charming/Emma stuff.

3. boo says:

The choir room….why did they pick the worse actors to be juniors last year? None of them can carry a story arc, some can barely read lines. And then wanting that horrible Alex from the glee project to maybe join ick. I don’t get why they didn’t recon Rachel’s and Kurt’s age. They look like the youngest of the originals any way. Now they have bad actors and boring characters.

• moobear says:

(breathlessly) Well just as long as we get to Regionals!
      I’m sorry, I can’t read anything about Glee without thinking of that episode of Community, I think anyone that has seen any amount of Glee should watch the Christmas Community episode.

• Dizzle says:

I don’t necessarily think they’re all bad actors, I think they just haven’t been given the chance to shine as much with all the focus being on the Seniors previously. It’ll be nice to see Blaine move away from the Kurt/Blaine relationship and get some solo storylines, I’ve never really understood their dynamic and don’t really get why they would be together.

• ginat says:

Every glee actor sounds the same to me
      *breathless*
      “WE HAVE TO GO TO REGIONALS THIS YEAR. I’M A STAR, MADONNA, MARK JACOBS, JOURNEY, SLURPEE in the face.”

yadda yadda

4. Amanda says:

Perhaps Once Upon a Time can get Stephen Moffat to write the Emma/Charming/Snow story line. It smells a lot like River Song.

• madhatter360 says:

Although in this version Henry is kinda of like a River Song who said, “Screw spoilers. I’m just going to get right to the heart of things.” And Emma is like a River Song who doesn’t know/believe any spoilers.

5. Amanda says:

Any updates on when the bonus episode of Happy Endings will be airing on TV?

6. JAO says:

Where is the Glee project review?

7. Linderella says:

I’m not looking forward to this new story line on Parenthood. Sydney (the character, not the young actress portraying her) is already the least likable child on Parenthood so watching her learn how to share her parents’ attention with a new sibling is going to be painful. What might change the whole dynamic would be for the writers to add a Julia pregnancy to the mix – that would stir things up for everyone!

• soarin829 says:

I agree that Sydney is easily the least likable character and it will be painful to see her behave in even more of a self-centered way. But I’m hopeful that the eventual outcome will result in a better behaved, LESS self-centered Sydney. Additional siblings do that. I will put my trust in Jason Katims! FNL – Texas Forever!

8. Babybop says:

“Unusual Antiquities”…. Ariel?

9. Jessica says:

I miss Happy Endings so much! Thanks for the scoop!!

10. Ani says:

The Glee writers have a very odd idea of how high school works, if they think winning would automatically transform some activity from “loser” to “cool.” I never understood how even when the top cheerleaders and football players in the school were in the glee club, and even when they got the other cheerleaders to be in the Troubletones and the other football guys did backup dancing for Thriller and West Side Story, that glee could still count as the losers.

11. WhyohWhy says:

Gah! Snow and Charming better have external problems that they face together rather than being separated again. I hate when shows pull apart main couples just to create drama. I always liked Turk and Carla on Scrubs. They got to be together but still faced grown-up issues. I suppose if I stick more to action/drama, there’s Nikita and Michael. They have outside forces against them, and it makes things difficult, but they stick together as best they can. That could be S/C against Queenie. I just don’t want a Bones/Booth style tease. It’s annoying.

• Michelle says:

I agree. Snow and Charming were separated for much of last year. You can have drama without yanking them apart again!

12. Ally says:

I am excited to see what happens in Joel’s and Julia’s household. Parenthood has been such a well-written and acted show that I’m sure it will be good. And wouldn’t it throw a major wrench in dynamics if Julia does shockingly get pregnant. I hope the show will keep the component from the original movie and make a character pregnant each season. No matter who it would be, it would be interesting.

13. Patti says:

I am really interested in Charming family storylines. I look forward to David and Emma getting to bond.I hope besides angst the family is able to bond. It is such a great and interesting family/dynamic. A fav part of the show for me, along with Rum/Belle.

14. Aggie says:

RE: Glee. I have enjoyed Damian McGinty (formerly of Celtic Thunder) in the few scenes I’ve seen. I assume he will be a junior this coming season. I hope he’ll get more exposure on Glee. The producers don’t realize what a wonderful talent they have.