Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: ABC Announces Premiere Dates — Which Launches Are Being Held for October?

Last but not least, following NBC, Fox, The CW and CBS, ABC is the final broadcast network to detail its fall TV premiere plan.

On tap for midseason: Body of Proof, Wife Swap and the new dramas Red Widow and Zero Hour. The new sudser Mistresses premieres summer 2013.

All told, ABC’s premiere plan looks like this; new shows are listed in ALL CAPS (get details here).

Friday, September 14
8 pm Shark Tank
9 pm Primetime: What Would You Do?
10 pm 20/20

Monday, September 24
8 pm Dancing with the Stars: All-Stars (cast to be announced Friday, July 27)
10 pm Castle

Tuesday, September 25
8 pm Dancing with the Stars Results Show
10 pm Private Practice

Wednesday, September 26
8 pm The Middle (one-hour premiere)
9 pm Modern Family
9:30 pm THE NEIGHBORS [new]

Thursday, September 27
8 pm LAST RESORT [new]
9 pm Grey’s Anatomy
10 pm Scandal

Sunday, September 30
8 pm Once Upon a Time
9 pm Revenge
10 pm 666 PARK AVENUE [new]

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

Wednesday, October 3
8:30 pm THE NEIGHBORS (regular time period premiere)

Sunday, October 7
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos

Wednesday, October 10
10 pm NASHVILLE [new]

Wednesday, October 17
9:30 pm Suburgatory

Tuesday, October 23
9 pm Happy Endings
9:30 pm Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23

Friday, November 2
8 pm Last Man Standing
8:30 pm MALIBU COUNTRY [new]
9 pm Shark Tank (new time slot premiere)

NOT RETURNING THIS SEASON: Charlie’s Angels, the TBS-bound Cougar Town, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, GCB, Man Up, Missing, Pan Am, The River and Work It.

Tags:

Comments (73)

• Finally. I can complete my schedule.

Comment by Joe – July 26, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is a very staggered schedule. Surprised they’re holding back Suburgatory for that long. I’m not so shocked about Apt.23 and HE, they don’t want to premiere them opposite New Girl/Mindy Project/Go On/New Normal (so maybe they can switch to 10 if the other comedies are too big).

Comment by Klaus – July 26, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They probably just want to save Episodes for the new year and run them trough like last year with Happpy Ending

Comment by pilo – July 26, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On September 26, ABC have used Modern Family premiere as a lead-in to Neighbours. On October 3, 9-11pm might get pre-empted. Then, on October 10, Nashville premieres at 10pm. So, I’m guessing ABC would schedule 2 episodes of Modern Family as a lead-in to Nashville. That’s why, Suburgatory premieres on October 17.

Comment by Balaji K – July 26, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CANT WAIT FOR GREYS

Comment by alice – July 26, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!! Even though I will miss Lexie a lot!

Comment by R – July 26, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • me too, it will be sad without her

Comment by Juan – July 26, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • and now Mark is leaving this season as well:(

Comment by Lilia – July 28, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The season finale was so freakin lame – I can’t say I’m waiting for Grey’s this year. Way too hyped up and over-dramatized.

Comment by Kristen – July 26, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, right? It won’t even be on my top 20 shows I’m waiting for. I can’t wait for ONCE, that’s what!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – July 26, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know, right? “Way too hyped up and over-dramatized”…who would have ever expected THAT, what with Lizzie having dated ghosts and George being run over by a bus and what-not. *LOL*

Comment by filmex – July 27, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 hour results show for DWTS? That is ridicilous.

Comment by Mike – July 26, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first one is that way every time. It ain’t changing.

Comment by nick1372 – July 26, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It should be.

Comment by May – July 27, 2012 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It gets good ratings. Period.

Comment by nick1372 – July 27, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, about time, its not as scattered as NBC or Fox so good, It looks like Premier week will mostly be CBS and ABC. cant wait for Grey’s, OUAT, Revenge, Scandal, PP, Castle, and all the comedies. Will watch Nashville and Last Resort too. I think ts a good idea about the tuesday comedies so that they don’t have to go against them at their strongest though I don’t like the Suburgatory delay

Comment by Juan – July 26, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is any one else pissed off about he fact that greys is not a 2 hour premier, surely with last seasons short finale, youd think they make a 2 hour premier to expalin the who sitaution.

Comment by alim – July 26, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is there to explain really… the plane crashed, one persons dead, others injured and they need to be rescued.

Comment by Kristoffer – July 26, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Castle!

Comment by Andrea – July 26, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think that ABC has a winning Sunday night.

Comment by politicsmatt – July 26, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The strengh of OUAT and Revenge should help 666 Park Avenue to become a success.

Comment by lll – July 26, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very excited about Sunday nights this fall!

Comment by Kristina – July 26, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me, too! Sunday nights has always meant boring T.V., but not anymore!

Comment by Lori – September 22, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC will give CBS’ The Good Wife a run for their money (or ratings, in this case)

Comment by martina – July 26, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo glad that they swapped The Neighbors and Suburgatory…The Neighbors looks awful and Suburgatory is brilliant and deserves a bigger audience!

Comment by alex – July 26, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So very upset ya’ll took the river off, why? I loved it, looked forward to it every week!!

Comment by Jennifer Redmond – July 26, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad they’re holding off Happy Endings/Apt. 23 so long but excited for Revenge, Once Upon a Time, Nashville, Subergatory and 666 Park Avenue.

Comment by dude – July 26, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!!!

Comment by nick1372 – July 26, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville will be premiering after a modern family repeat or the second episode of Neighbors?

Comment by Zed – July 26, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think there will be a double episode of Modern Family on October 10 to lead into Nashville as the Presidential Debates are on on October 3.

Comment by CrimTV – July 26, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT is the show I am most anxious to start back up. I’ve already rewatched the entire season and seen the finale about 4 times. I just can’t get enough of it!

Comment by Sara – July 26, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess I’ll have to miss Suburgatory this year. It’s up against two other shows I watch. I can only tivo two things at a time.

Comment by nich – July 26, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not use Hulu?

Comment by Regal – July 26, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Regal. Since I don’t have a Tivo/DVR (the price I pay for being a college graduate who can’t find a job and has to live with my parents), I rely heavily on online viewing sites and On-Demand. Despite the buffering and waiting time for some players to load, it’s not that bad.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – July 26, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You do a fantastic job, but I gotta ask, when are you gonna start keeping a running post updated with summer season finale dates? Looks like some are already available (Bunheads 8/20, Teen Wolf 8/13, for example), so I’m surprised I haven’t seen any of them here yet! Help us out Matt!

Comment by DreamRose311 – July 26, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am not sure a precedent was ever set that we do a Summer Finales calendar…? Priority #1 after TCA is the Fall Premieres calendar.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 26, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, there was a post focusing on Summer premieres (and other important dates), so I thought that would be a logical follow… It seems like every year Summer is becoming a more and more established TV season…

Anyway, thanks for responding, and for all the work you do!

Comment by DreamRose311 – July 26, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sunday nights=new favorite night for TV!

Comment by Spencer – July 26, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so bummed they moved Revenge to Sunday nights. I have too many other shows on and while I *love* Revenge, that will probably be the show that I want for the next night to watch online. I wish it were on during the week!

Comment by Kristen – July 26, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Revenge was so great on Wednesdays, something to look forward to, to get me through the week. But now Sunday nights are really busy for me so I won’t be able to watch it live. Bummer.

Comment by Loni – July 26, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tape it and watch it on Wednesday. :)

Comment by Lori – September 22, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Revenge is one of my favorite shows putting it on Sunday nights was a big mistake.
      I will record it from my DVR and watch it another night. The other thing is when the games are on alot of the shows run late hate that.

Comment by Carole – August 17, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t worry, ABC shows don’t get pushed back for Football. Only CBS & Fox have shows after football.

Comment by nick1372 – August 17, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Matt, any news about ABC Family premiere dates? The Lying Game maybe?? I’m DYING ova here!

Comment by mirvin365 – July 26, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Once again, I say: “Winter.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 26, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not Matt, but I know Switched at Birth premieres Sept. 3 @ 8 pm. Is that good?

Comment by nick1372 – July 27, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So whoever had those “insider rumors” yester day was only right about 2 things, Revenge and Happy Endings start dates. Even though it was pretty obvious HE/Apt 23 would start late and even more obvious Last Man Standing and Malibu Country would start late

Comment by Ram510 – July 26, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m interested to see how their Friday night strategy works. The family-friendly shows that people don’t dvr might attract some eye-balls. Call it TGIF Redux.

Comment by Chase – July 26, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a good idea and probably will be successful, but for one thing. It’s ip against two similarly older-skewing, male-skewing shows; Touch and CSI:NY. But if it survived NCIS, it’ll survive that.

Comment by nick1372 – July 27, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to wait until the end of October for Happy Endings to return????????????/

Comment by tvaddict – July 26, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess, they’ll have 2-hour DWTS so that’s why they’re holding Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B, but on the bright side – they’ll have less breaks :)

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – July 26, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re holding back HE/Apartment 23 because they would have more time for promotion and they wouldn’t have to premiere up against the two other comedies on NBC and FOX. Not to mention they would reduce repeats.

Comment by crimtv – July 26, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The more I hear about Last Resort, the better and better it looks.

Comment by Sg.Grant – July 26, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish one of the nostalgia channels would air episodes of the original Last Resort starring Stephanie Faracy. Funny show.

Comment by Templar – July 26, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! It’s my favorite new show.

Comment by nick1372 – July 27, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw it online! It’s a great show!!!!

Comment by Marisol – September 27, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Triple word score on Sundays… I’m getting a little tired of everything being schedules to Sundays, I guess I’ll just buy another TV tuner card for my computer and DVR everything.

Comment by Temperence – July 26, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see the battle between Revenge vs The Good Wife. I also wonder how Revenge will affect Family Guy, Dexter and The Walking Dead.

Comment by Kissan – July 26, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHen is FIrefly going to have it’s season premiere?

Comment by JASon – July 26, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC is kind of getting on my nerves with their randomness. Who came up with the lame idea of staggering their schedule in such a way. Everybody knows that the Fall is Tv’s prime-time. Viewership always goes down in the Spring, so instead of building some real momentum in the Fall they are going to wait for people to sample other shows in other networks first. And what is it with the Greys one hour premier? They did that in S7 and it didn’t work so well. That was one of the worst seasons ever. Shonda really needs to surrender the reigns already. She’s micro-managing three shows at the same time and its obviously too much for her. And she’s damaging them in the process..

Comment by Ana – July 26, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BTW, a two hour spot for DWTS results? Really? Like that show hasn’t already tanked in the ratings now they are giving it an extra hour. Brilliant. Really.

Comment by Ana – July 26, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They do that every year, and it’s guaranteed to do better than Happy Endings/Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23.

Comment by nick1372 – July 27, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY! So excited to know when OUaT, Suburgatory, and Castle will return (although somehow the Castle premiere date was spilled earlier this month) and when Nashville and Malibu Country will premiere. I just wish those 2 weren’t up against my CSIs :P And why the late start for Suburgatory? None of the other networks seem to be going around the debates for their premieres :/

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – July 26, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t ABC doing a reboot of Beauty and the Beast like the CW? What happened with that?

Comment by April – July 27, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cant wait for revenge , body of proof and castle !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Galit barel – August 5, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone notice that dont trust the b in apartment 23 is comming back on the 23!!!!! Ha ha, 23 23, i just went all ‘touch’ on ya all

Comment by Emmalee – August 10, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe Missing isn’t coming back! Probably the top three shows of last season.

Comment by Flutter – August 13, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love body of proof !! please bring it back soon !!!

Comment by roxanne – September 10, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Saving Hope. I don’t see it on the schedule. They are just going to end it without knowing what happens to Charlie?

Comment by lynn watson – September 11, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo happy Scandal is back on!!

Comment by Dominique La Fargue – September 17, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed that “Missing” has been taken off the air. I really enjoyed its first season. It had potential! I’ll “miss” it!

Comment by Lori – September 22, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad Pan Am is gone.

Comment by Kris – October 9, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post