Once Upon a Time Exclusive: A Teen Wolf Bites Into the Role of [Spoiler]

Here’s a piece of Once Upon a Time casting news that we like a lot — even, one could say, a Lancelot.

Sinqua Walls, who as of late has been recurring on MTV’s Teen Wolf as pack member Boyd, has been cast on ABC’s fantastical sophomore drama as Sir Lancelot, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Three Once Upon a Time Newcomers

I’m hearing that Once Upon a Time will introduce Lancelot as a “sword for hire with nothing to lose,” a onetime proud member of King Arthur’s Round Table who has since been banished, tearing him away from his true love (Queen Guinevere, as lore tells us).

RELATED | Exclusive: Wake Up! Once Upon a Time Has Cast Sarah Bolger as Sleeping Beauty

Already for Season 2 (premiere date TBA), Once has cast the roles of Sleeping Beauty and Mulan, and promoted Emilie de Ravin (aka “Belle”) and Meghan Ory (Ruby/Red Riding Hood) to series regular status.

UPDATE: Walls is thus far booked for one episode as Lancelot, per ABC. The actor’s other TV credits include Friday Night Lights (playing Jamarcus Hall), The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Pair of Kings.

Comments (86)

• I like this show, but… no. Leave Arthurian myth alone.

Comment by Khorrie – July 25, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are they THAT desperate to capitalize “Game of Thrones”?! This is not Cowboys & Aliens, fairytale and Arthurian lore don’t mix.

Comment by Stranger – July 25, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know what’s the big deal. They touched on mythology before – King Midas, anyone? – and it worked just fine. I don’t see why it should not work just as well with Lancelot. And I’m not sure why GOT supposedly has anything to do with this at all?

Comment by Dani – July 26, 2012 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mostly because King Midas is all on his own. Lancelot comes with a whole host of character baggage that you really can’t ignore – which just means more new characters in a cast that’s already verging on getting too big as it is.

Comment by Khorrie – July 26, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Doesn’t have to be that way. The way Lancelot was described in the casting call he will come in on his own for now. Depending on how the audience reacts to him they may bring in more characters for him to interact with later in season two or season three, but just because a character is originally tied to a number of others doesn’t mean OUAT brings in all of them. They’ve cut characters in their interpretation of other stories and fairytales, too.

Comment by Tunay – July 27, 2012 02:59 AM PDT
        • Exactly. It’s all stories so it’s all free game if you ask me. Besides why is everyone so obsessed with GOT? Get over it

Comment by Illia – August 9, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disney – “The Sword in the Stone.” It was kind of inevitable.

Comment by Edith – July 29, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you!!

Comment by pamela – December 4, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My worry is that they’re too focused on bringing in more characters, and therefore they might forget about original character development

Comment by Sharon – July 25, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree

Comment by veronic – July 25, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t worry. Based on filming pics, it looks like the originals are still going to play the biggest roles. It would be ridiculous if we didn’t see more people in Storybrooke, it would be like how in other shows, the only people attending school are the main characters.

Comment by Jess – July 25, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are many things they still have to fix, like the Mad Hatter/Jefferson as single dad, August/Pinochio as a grown up man, who the heck is Dr. Whale just to name a few. They are so caught up in this “true love” (s) scenario to give substance to the storyline

Comment by B. – July 25, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dr. Whatever is dr. Frankistien.

Comment by Emily – November 6, 2012 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dr. Whale is Dr. Frankenstein. :) in the fairy tale land he is trying to bring back his “brother”

Comment by Emily – November 6, 2012 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think most of the new characters will only appear in an episode or two. Kind of like Hansel and Gretel or Cinderella last season. Aurora and Mulan may be the only exception. I definitely want them to put the focus on the original characters as well. The big 5 – Rumple, Regina, Snow, Charming and Emma – and I would like to see more of Ruby, Archie, Henry and Kathryn too.

Comment by Dani – July 26, 2012 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly! I still am skeptical about Mulan (which is only fringe-fairy tale in term of disney but is actually more mythological/historical like lancelot here). Especially with the curse broken, they’ve gotta devote more time to the characters they’ve already introduced, right?

Comment by jess – July 26, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many characters coming on. The ones they have are great. Season one regulars and recurring are the ones I want to see.

Comment by Patti – July 25, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lancelot is a fictional character but not a fairytale character. Seems like a stretch to me.

Comment by zaza – July 25, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they’re limiting themselves to just fairytales. They did have King MIdas, which isn’t a fairytale.

Comment by Bigby – July 25, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Legend, fairytale, tomayto, tomahto.

Comment by RachelA – July 25, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Arthur like Midas are Legends is what I think he was getting at

Comment by Zak – July 25, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And Alice in Wonderland is an actual book. What’s next: The Chronicles of Narnia? Lord of the Rings?? Ivanhoe??? Stick to your storyline, don’t mix up into something you can’t get out of

Comment by B. – July 25, 2012 10:38 PM PDT
      • But they also had Mad Hatter and will have Captain Hook, who are novel characters. Awesome characters, but still a huge stretch.

Comment by Lyria – July 25, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And where did the show say all the characters are from “Fairytale Land”? They live in Storybrooke, inhabited by storybook characters…hence, any story book characters are fair game. Why do fans bog down their own shows with some internal logic that they made up sometimes?

Comment by Eli – July 26, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. The pilot even said “an Enchanted Forest filled with all the classic characters we know”. Classic characters, not fairytale characters. They never limited themselves to fairytales.

Comment by Dani – July 26, 2012 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right! Fairy tales are just the core – Snow, Prince Charming, the Evil Queen, Rumple, and the new fairy tale character for their story – Emma.

Comment by Mary – July 26, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to see a little bit more diversity coming to the show. Looks like they’re not afraid to play around with the ethnicity of some of the mythical characters.

Comment by Bigby – July 25, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be completely fair: there were too many white people. I get Snow White isn’t supposed to be ethnic, but it was getting annoying (if not racist).

Comment by Stranger – July 25, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by AllegraDante – July 26, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him as Boyd on Teen Wolf, and I’d be interesting to see how OUAT deals with the legend.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – July 25, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many characters. All I need is Snow, Charming, Emma, Rumpel and Regina

Comment by veronic – July 25, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then everyone would congratulate you on making this show horrible.

Comment by nick1372 – July 25, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a big fan of the big 5 too, but a show only with them would get boring pretty quickly. They need to bring in new fairytale/storybook characters to keep things fresh and to give Regina and Co. other characters to interact with. As long as they remember that the big 5 are the heart of the show, I don’t mind new characters coming on board.

Comment by Dani – July 26, 2012 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is Sinqua juggling this and Teen Wolf? Hope he doesn’t get killed off of TW, he’s a good balance in the pack. D:

Comment by Megan – July 25, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally another person of colour on OUAT. And I think the Arthurian legends will fit in quite well with the fairytale nature of the show. I don’t mind them mixing in all the different stories; Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, etc aren’t fairytales in the strictest sense, but they fit.

Comment by mia – July 25, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure of your definition of Fairy Tale, but Peter Pan does have a fairy [Tink]. That, for me, makes it a fairy tale.

Comment by Templar – July 26, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I approve very much of this casting. I’ve long been saying this show is way too white. There are a lot of shows where it is hard to have a lot of ethnic diversity because of a lack of realism/believability. This is one show where historical and geographical realities of race don’t matter and they should really take more advantage of that.

Comment by RachelA – July 25, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The producers seemed to handle all the characters in season one just fine. I have faith in them that they will do a good job this season. I’m also loving all the new characters and that they aren’t just limiting themselves to fairytales. :) Season two is going to be amazing!

Comment by writersspace – July 25, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all the casting news and different tales they are adding to this show is just making it so much better. I cannot wait to see what Season 2 looks like.

Comment by jonathon – July 25, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally might have a reason to check into this lily white show.

Comment by Jazz – July 25, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see him get a role like this. I enjoyed seeing him on Teen Wolf, but he hasn’t had much screen time on that show as I’d like. Can’t wait to see what he bring to the table for this show.

Comment by aisforaims – July 25, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this won’t affect his role on Teen Wolf because I love him as Boyd! I don’t want him to leave the show.

Comment by William – July 25, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny, I never see negative comments about all black shows. People who don’t like the color of the cast, change the channel to BET….seriously, get over it.

Comment by Mickey – July 25, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously?

Comment by tp – July 25, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah…Seriously

Comment by Mickey – July 25, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well maybe if there were more than 3 black shows. Which NEVER have a completely all black cast people wouldn’t complain all of 10,000 white shows with not a SINGLE person of color. Also BET is not the only channel with people of color. Everybody doesn’t have to be white. There is more to the world than white people. They aren’t even the majority in the U.S anymore. How about tv shows reflect that?

Comment by tp – July 25, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If anyone, I don’t care what color, can’t just sit back and enjoy a show (any show….whatever the color of the cast is) for it’s entertainment value, then they shouldn’t bother to watch it. Not EVERYTHING should be a race issue. Describing the show as “…way too white…” and “…lily white show…” is ok? Yeah, that’s not racist. I grew up watching the Cosby Show and Fresh Prince, and it never occurred to me, “Hey, everyone on these shows is black!” They were just good shows with talented actors. And btw, I’m mixed race, I don’t like racism from either side, so, don’t preach to me.

Comment by Mickey – July 25, 2012 11:10 PM PDT
          • well said, tp.

Comment by unicornwasp – July 26, 2012 02:02 PM PDT
          • Nothing wrong with the idea in any way, but to take a character who comes straight out of Anglo Saxon culture and mythology, which some of us Anglos actually appreciate as part of our heritage and to turn him black?? Not cool at all. Lancelot is not black and should never be black.

They could take any fictional character not thought to have actually lived and been a part of our culture and make him/her any color they like.

Moreover, I would fully expect them to take a character out of African mythology and cast a black person in said role, and if they didn’t, I’d take the same issue with it!

It really is a matter of paying respect to the culture from which that character emerged.

Comment by pamela – December 4, 2012 02:45 AM PDT
    • No i never said i wouldn’t watch the show because of cast race, gosh, I watch a lot of shows with a white cast, just that the lack of inclusiveness bothers me. The show hasn’t really pulled me anyway, when i saw this news it gave me an incentive to try it out again.

Comment by Jazz – July 26, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Until the day that you don’t even notice, let alone count, how many white, black, asian, or polka dot people are on a show you are being racist. To be nonracist you have to not care what color a persons skin is. Come on, grow up and learn to value a person for who they are and not the purely arbitrary color of their skin.

Comment by Ann – August 2, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, Ann, what you just described is known in sociology as “colorblindness” and is in of itself racist.

Comment by tina – October 7, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem with all white shows like Once Upon A Time vs “all black” shows like the Cosby Show and Fresh Prince, idiots, is that black shows are just that, black shows. They were created with all back casts as subtle responses to white dominated television. If we lived in a peachy clean-non-ignorant world truly absent of racism, then yes, so called black shows would be odd and racist, but we don’t and black shows stand out as black shows because they are purposefully juxtaposed with white dominated media, that’s what makes them work.

White shows on the other hand are not considered “white shows”; they are typically assumed to just be “normal” shows that take place in the real, normal world. For example, the Cosby Show is about a BLACK middle class family living in NYC. The Brady Bunch is just about a family (they explain this in the theme song). Once Upon is not about white fairy tales, it’s implied to be about just fairy tales. And there lies the problem with “white shows” lacking diversity: good art/television is assumed to mimic reality or have some sort of grasp of it so that you can believe what you see is happening and relate to it.”White shows” create false realities where white people run the world and minorities are silent, non-existent, unimportant, sidekicks or after-thoughts. The problem with white-washed television is that it creates a white-washed reality that doesn’t exist, isolating minority viewers and, as apparent by some of these comments, further blinding white viewers into believing there is nothing wrong with seeing their presence constantly elevated above the rest of the world, dominating television’s interpretation of reality, making them apathetic to those who are constantly being told by the media they barely exist or matter. That if they want to feel they matter to turn to the black channel and STFU.

Comment by tina – October 7, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lancelot is white…

Comment by Mark – July 25, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lancelot is fictional.

Comment by Ace – July 25, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally. I didn’t think I would see another black person, after the fairy godmother, as the fairy tale characters are 98% white.

Comment by tp – July 25, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget about Giancarlo Esposito as Sidney Glass and the Genie/Magic Mirror. He showed up a few times in season 1 :)

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – July 25, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How did I forget him?! He is an excellent actor. He’s perfect in his conniving ways.

Comment by tp – July 25, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lancelot is Arthurian Myth and part of the fabric of Anglo history. He should not be played by a black man any more than a historical black figure should be played by a white, blonde.

Comment by pamela – December 4, 2012 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aside from Mulan, the new characters don’t seem really interesting. I’m still waiting for Ariel…

Comment by James – July 25, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see how they work in the legends. Season 2 is looking better and better!

And so what if they bring in lots of different characters? Just because Storybrooke is a small town doesn’t mean that there’s only a small handful of people that live there. Not sure if this is the former story writer in me, but I would like to know EVERYONE’S Fairy Tale World story. The writers have been doing great so far with incorporating the main characters with all of the secondary, single-episode characters.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – July 25, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I love disney, but I’m glad they aren’t just casting Disney princesses and disney like princess (anastasia). Digging into a variety of sources (Disney, Grimm brothers, Mythology) seems to me like it’ll make it more interesting!

Comment by Gilda – July 25, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At Comic -Con they said Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk wold also be there has he been cast an same for captain Hook?

Comment by Pawan – July 25, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my first guess when he showed up was that Booth was a grown up peter pan. That’s still a story I’d like to see on this show.

Comment by Josh – July 25, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooooh nice. Although I agree with those who’ve said that season 2 seems to be focusing on too many characters.

Comment by Cece – July 25, 2012 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmmmm not sure I like this :/

I don’t see a problem of including Arthurian legend, generally
    But it might be too crowded already in season 2 :/

Comment by Carda – July 25, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I loved the first season, OUAT sounds like they are going the way of True Blood – too many sub plots and characters. I hope this is not the case.

Comment by tvdiva – July 26, 2012 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exciting for him. Hope they give him more to do than Teen Wolf has!

Comment by bitchstolemyremote – July 26, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, if they would hire Sendhil Ramamurthy [Covert Affairs] as Aladdin, I’d really be stoked for season 2.

Comment by Templar – July 26, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see K&H include Aladdin. Jafar could be played by Naveen Andrews- Sayid from LOST- he’s sexy.

Comment by Mickey – July 26, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why dont we bring mulan in and make him white….then we will make a movie about 2pac and make him white….dont want to be racist now

Comment by pesko – July 27, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mulan is a girl :)

Comment by mickey – July 27, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What exactly are you complaining about? The fact that they will have a person of color on the show? Step outside your front door once in a while. This world is not just one race. There is no rule that states fictional characters must be ONE race and that’s it.

Comment by Zoe – July 27, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya’ll do know that the actress that plays Regina is hispanic right?

Comment by Trish – August 3, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep. Lana Parrilla. She’s part Italian, also. And she played Greta on LOST.

Comment by mickey – August 5, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh good lord people. I think it’s pretty darn clear that ABC (Disney-owned) is having fun with whatever non-proprietary or Disney-owned-rights property they can, and it’ll all work out in the end. Calm down.

Also, to the people who brought up “but Alice in Wonderland was a book!” First of all, so was Pinocchio. Second of all, Lewis Carroll himself call the Alice tales “fairy tales.”

Comment by Edith – July 29, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • K&H are brilliant. They were able to make Rumpelstiltskin and the Beast one in the same…and make it believable. For that fact, they have intertwined Rumple with all the ‘stories’ and ‘fairy tales’- and they did it flawlessly. They never said they were strictly doing fairy tales…..they already included the Siren and Midas…they are not fairy tales. I love all the LOST nods and Stephen King nods…not to mention Tron and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

Comment by Mickey – July 30, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sleuthing out new character identities is one of my favorite experiences from watching OUAT. In my opinion, the more the merrier!

Comment by Samm – August 3, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These are ACTORS doing their JOBS. Have fun with it!!
    (typed by a former rabid Star Trek fan who has it in perspective now. :-)

Comment by curtis – August 3, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People, the writers managed seasons of Lost and tied the show up nicely. Let’s not get too worried about loose ends yet.

Comment by erin maynard – August 3, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone watch the BBC series Merlin? Because if you do, “Lancelot as a ‘sword for hire with nothing to lose’” sounds pretty familiar. That’s exactly how he showed up in that series (although that was before meeting Arthur and becoming a knight, not after). Hmm…

Comment by Kate – August 3, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Sinqua my name is Jessica Fieseher my age is 21 yes I am a adult I wanted to be your friend figure out reachely I have facebook can you request me you can keep in touch with me ok you have my email so just email me whenever your free time I eat meat only Firdaysonce week arested eat viggies hmmm tasted so great

Comment by Jess Fiesehsr – August 13, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading a few comments, who cares who else they bring into the show.. means its probably gonna last long and keeps u still coming back every week!!!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW! CANT WAIT FOR THE PREMIERE!

Comment by sammie ann – August 20, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post