Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Exclusive: A Teen Wolf Bites Into the Role of [Spoiler]

Here’s a piece of Once Upon a Time casting news that we like a lot — even, one could say, a Lancelot.

Sinqua Walls, who as of late has been recurring on MTV’s Teen Wolf as pack member Boyd, has been cast on ABC’s fantastical sophomore drama as Sir Lancelot, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Three Once Upon a Time Newcomers

I’m hearing that Once Upon a Time will introduce Lancelot as a “sword for hire with nothing to lose,” a onetime proud member of King Arthur’s Round Table who has since been banished, tearing him away from his true love (Queen Guinevere, as lore tells us).

RELATED | Exclusive: Wake Up! Once Upon a Time Has Cast Sarah Bolger as Sleeping Beauty

Already for Season 2 (premiere date TBA), Once has cast the roles of Sleeping Beauty and Mulan, and promoted Emilie de Ravin (aka “Belle”) and Meghan Ory (Ruby/Red Riding Hood) to series regular status.

UPDATE: Walls is thus far booked for one episode as Lancelot, per ABC. The actor’s other TV credits include Friday Night Lights (playing Jamarcus Hall), The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Pair of Kings.

1. Khorrie says:

I like this show, but… no. Leave Arthurian myth alone.

• Stranger says:

Are they THAT desperate to capitalize “Game of Thrones”?! This is not Cowboys & Aliens, fairytale and Arthurian lore don’t mix.

• Dani says:

I don’t know what’s the big deal. They touched on mythology before – King Midas, anyone? – and it worked just fine. I don’t see why it should not work just as well with Lancelot. And I’m not sure why GOT supposedly has anything to do with this at all?

• Khorrie says:

Mostly because King Midas is all on his own. Lancelot comes with a whole host of character baggage that you really can’t ignore – which just means more new characters in a cast that’s already verging on getting too big as it is.

• Tunay says:

Doesn’t have to be that way. The way Lancelot was described in the casting call he will come in on his own for now. Depending on how the audience reacts to him they may bring in more characters for him to interact with later in season two or season three, but just because a character is originally tied to a number of others doesn’t mean OUAT brings in all of them. They’ve cut characters in their interpretation of other stories and fairytales, too.

• Illia says:

Exactly. It’s all stories so it’s all free game if you ask me. Besides why is everyone so obsessed with GOT? Get over it

• Edith says:

Disney – “The Sword in the Stone.” It was kind of inevitable.

• pamela says:

Agree with you!!

2. Sharon says:

My worry is that they’re too focused on bringing in more characters, and therefore they might forget about original character development

• veronic says:

I agree

• Jess says:

I wouldn’t worry. Based on filming pics, it looks like the originals are still going to play the biggest roles. It would be ridiculous if we didn’t see more people in Storybrooke, it would be like how in other shows, the only people attending school are the main characters.

• B. says:

There are many things they still have to fix, like the Mad Hatter/Jefferson as single dad, August/Pinochio as a grown up man, who the heck is Dr. Whale just to name a few. They are so caught up in this “true love” (s) scenario to give substance to the storyline

• Dani says:

I think most of the new characters will only appear in an episode or two. Kind of like Hansel and Gretel or Cinderella last season. Aurora and Mulan may be the only exception. I definitely want them to put the focus on the original characters as well. The big 5 – Rumple, Regina, Snow, Charming and Emma – and I would like to see more of Ruby, Archie, Henry and Kathryn too.

• jess says:

exactly! I still am skeptical about Mulan (which is only fringe-fairy tale in term of disney but is actually more mythological/historical like lancelot here). Especially with the curse broken, they’ve gotta devote more time to the characters they’ve already introduced, right?

3. Patti says:

Too many characters coming on. The ones they have are great. Season one regulars and recurring are the ones I want to see.

4. zaza says:

Lancelot is a fictional character but not a fairytale character. Seems like a stretch to me.

• Bigby says:

I don’t think they’re limiting themselves to just fairytales. They did have King MIdas, which isn’t a fairytale.

• RachelA says:

Legend, fairytale, tomayto, tomahto.

• Zak says:

Arthur like Midas are Legends is what I think he was getting at

• B. says:

And Alice in Wonderland is an actual book. What’s next: The Chronicles of Narnia? Lord of the Rings?? Ivanhoe??? Stick to your storyline, don’t mix up into something you can’t get out of

• Lyria says:

But they also had Mad Hatter and will have Captain Hook, who are novel characters. Awesome characters, but still a huge stretch.

• Eli says:

And where did the show say all the characters are from “Fairytale Land”? They live in Storybrooke, inhabited by storybook characters…hence, any story book characters are fair game. Why do fans bog down their own shows with some internal logic that they made up sometimes?

• Dani says:

Exactly. The pilot even said “an Enchanted Forest filled with all the classic characters we know”. Classic characters, not fairytale characters. They never limited themselves to fairytales.

• Mary says:

Right! Fairy tales are just the core – Snow, Prince Charming, the Evil Queen, Rumple, and the new fairy tale character for their story – Emma.

5. Bigby says:

Nice to see a little bit more diversity coming to the show. Looks like they’re not afraid to play around with the ethnicity of some of the mythical characters.

• Stranger says:

To be completely fair: there were too many white people. I get Snow White isn’t supposed to be ethnic, but it was getting annoying (if not racist).

• AllegraDante says:

My thoughts exactly!

• Unitarian says:

How is it racist to have mainly European/ white characters in a fairy tale that revolves around mythology which takes place in Northern Europe? I thinks it’s racist for people to replace Anglo-Saxon based characters with black.

6. I love him as Boyd on Teen Wolf, and I’d be interesting to see how OUAT deals with the legend.

7. veronic says:

Too many characters. All I need is Snow, Charming, Emma, Rumpel and Regina

• nick1372 says:

Then everyone would congratulate you on making this show horrible.

• Dani says:

I’m a big fan of the big 5 too, but a show only with them would get boring pretty quickly. They need to bring in new fairytale/storybook characters to keep things fresh and to give Regina and Co. other characters to interact with. As long as they remember that the big 5 are the heart of the show, I don’t mind new characters coming on board.

8. Megan says:

So is Sinqua juggling this and Teen Wolf? Hope he doesn’t get killed off of TW, he’s a good balance in the pack. D:

9. mia says:

Finally another person of colour on OUAT. And I think the Arthurian legends will fit in quite well with the fairytale nature of the show. I don’t mind them mixing in all the different stories; Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, etc aren’t fairytales in the strictest sense, but they fit.

• Templar says:

I’m not sure of your definition of Fairy Tale, but Peter Pan does have a fairy [Tink]. That, for me, makes it a fairy tale.

10. RachelA says:

I approve very much of this casting. I’ve long been saying this show is way too white. There are a lot of shows where it is hard to have a lot of ethnic diversity because of a lack of realism/believability. This is one show where historical and geographical realities of race don’t matter and they should really take more advantage of that.

11. writersspace says:

The producers seemed to handle all the characters in season one just fine. I have faith in them that they will do a good job this season. I’m also loving all the new characters and that they aren’t just limiting themselves to fairytales. :) Season two is going to be amazing!

12. jonathon says:

all the casting news and different tales they are adding to this show is just making it so much better. I cannot wait to see what Season 2 looks like.

13. Jazz says:

Finally might have a reason to check into this lily white show.

14. aisforaims says:

I’m glad to see him get a role like this. I enjoyed seeing him on Teen Wolf, but he hasn’t had much screen time on that show as I’d like. Can’t wait to see what he bring to the table for this show.

15. William says:

Hopefully this won’t affect his role on Teen Wolf because I love him as Boyd! I don’t want him to leave the show.

16. Mickey says:

Funny, I never see negative comments about all black shows. People who don’t like the color of the cast, change the channel to BET….seriously, get over it.

• tp says:

Seriously?

• Mickey says:

yeah…Seriously

• tp says:

Well maybe if there were more than 3 black shows. Which NEVER have a completely all black cast people wouldn’t complain all of 10,000 white shows with not a SINGLE person of color. Also BET is not the only channel with people of color. Everybody doesn’t have to be white. There is more to the world than white people. They aren’t even the majority in the U.S anymore. How about tv shows reflect that?

• Mickey says:

If anyone, I don’t care what color, can’t just sit back and enjoy a show (any show….whatever the color of the cast is) for it’s entertainment value, then they shouldn’t bother to watch it. Not EVERYTHING should be a race issue. Describing the show as “…way too white…” and “…lily white show…” is ok? Yeah, that’s not racist. I grew up watching the Cosby Show and Fresh Prince, and it never occurred to me, “Hey, everyone on these shows is black!” They were just good shows with talented actors. And btw, I’m mixed race, I don’t like racism from either side, so, don’t preach to me.

• unicornwasp says:

well said, tp.

• pamela says:

Nothing wrong with the idea in any way, but to take a character who comes straight out of Anglo Saxon culture and mythology, which some of us Anglos actually appreciate as part of our heritage and to turn him black?? Not cool at all. Lancelot is not black and should never be black.

They could take any fictional character not thought to have actually lived and been a part of our culture and make him/her any color they like.

Moreover, I would fully expect them to take a character out of African mythology and cast a black person in said role, and if they didn’t, I’d take the same issue with it!

It really is a matter of paying respect to the culture from which that character emerged.

• Jazz says:

No i never said i wouldn’t watch the show because of cast race, gosh, I watch a lot of shows with a white cast, just that the lack of inclusiveness bothers me. The show hasn’t really pulled me anyway, when i saw this news it gave me an incentive to try it out again.

• Ann says:

Until the day that you don’t even notice, let alone count, how many white, black, asian, or polka dot people are on a show you are being racist. To be nonracist you have to not care what color a persons skin is. Come on, grow up and learn to value a person for who they are and not the purely arbitrary color of their skin.

• tina says:

The problem with all white shows like Once Upon A Time vs “all black” shows like the Cosby Show and Fresh Prince, idiots, is that black shows are just that, black shows. They were created with all back casts as subtle responses to white dominated television. If we lived in a peachy clean-non-ignorant world truly absent of racism, then yes, so called black shows would be odd and racist, but we don’t and black shows stand out as black shows because they are purposefully juxtaposed with white dominated media, that’s what makes them work.

White shows on the other hand are not considered “white shows”; they are typically assumed to just be “normal” shows that take place in the real, normal world. For example, the Cosby Show is about a BLACK middle class family living in NYC. The Brady Bunch is just about a family (they explain this in the theme song). Once Upon is not about white fairy tales, it’s implied to be about just fairy tales. And there lies the problem with “white shows” lacking diversity: good art/television is assumed to mimic reality or have some sort of grasp of it so that you can believe what you see is happening and relate to it.”White shows” create false realities where white people run the world and minorities are silent, non-existent, unimportant, sidekicks or after-thoughts. The problem with white-washed television is that it creates a white-washed reality that doesn’t exist, isolating minority viewers and, as apparent by some of these comments, further blinding white viewers into believing there is nothing wrong with seeing their presence constantly elevated above the rest of the world, dominating television’s interpretation of reality, making them apathetic to those who are constantly being told by the media they barely exist or matter. That if they want to feel they matter to turn to the black channel and STFU.

17. Mark says:

Lancelot is white…

18. tp says:

Finally. I didn’t think I would see another black person, after the fairy godmother, as the fairy tale characters are 98% white.

19. James says:

Aside from Mulan, the new characters don’t seem really interesting. I’m still waiting for Ariel…

20. Can’t wait to see how they work in the legends. Season 2 is looking better and better!

And so what if they bring in lots of different characters? Just because Storybrooke is a small town doesn’t mean that there’s only a small handful of people that live there. Not sure if this is the former story writer in me, but I would like to know EVERYONE’S Fairy Tale World story. The writers have been doing great so far with incorporating the main characters with all of the secondary, single-episode characters.

21. Gilda says:

Awesome! I love disney, but I’m glad they aren’t just casting Disney princesses and disney like princess (anastasia). Digging into a variety of sources (Disney, Grimm brothers, Mythology) seems to me like it’ll make it more interesting!

22. Pawan says:

At Comic -Con they said Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk wold also be there has he been cast an same for captain Hook?

• Josh says:

my first guess when he showed up was that Booth was a grown up peter pan. That’s still a story I’d like to see on this show.

23. Cece says:

Ooooh nice. Although I agree with those who’ve said that season 2 seems to be focusing on too many characters.

24. Carda says:

hmmmm not sure I like this :/

I don’t see a problem of including Arthurian legend, generally
    But it might be too crowded already in season 2 :/

25. tvdiva says:

As much as I loved the first season, OUAT sounds like they are going the way of True Blood – too many sub plots and characters. I hope this is not the case.

26. Exciting for him. Hope they give him more to do than Teen Wolf has!

27. Templar says:

Now, if they would hire Sendhil Ramamurthy [Covert Affairs] as Aladdin, I’d really be stoked for season 2.

• Mickey says:

I would love to see K&H include Aladdin. Jafar could be played by Naveen Andrews- Sayid from LOST- he’s sexy.

28. pesko says:

why dont we bring mulan in and make him white….then we will make a movie about 2pac and make him white….dont want to be racist now

29. Edith says:

Oh good lord people. I think it’s pretty darn clear that ABC (Disney-owned) is having fun with whatever non-proprietary or Disney-owned-rights property they can, and it’ll all work out in the end. Calm down.

Also, to the people who brought up “but Alice in Wonderland was a book!” First of all, so was Pinocchio. Second of all, Lewis Carroll himself call the Alice tales “fairy tales.”

30. Mickey says:

K&H are brilliant. They were able to make Rumpelstiltskin and the Beast one in the same…and make it believable. For that fact, they have intertwined Rumple with all the ‘stories’ and ‘fairy tales’- and they did it flawlessly. They never said they were strictly doing fairy tales…..they already included the Siren and Midas…they are not fairy tales. I love all the LOST nods and Stephen King nods…not to mention Tron and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

31. Samm says:

Sleuthing out new character identities is one of my favorite experiences from watching OUAT. In my opinion, the more the merrier!

32. curtis says:

These are ACTORS doing their JOBS. Have fun with it!!
    (typed by a former rabid Star Trek fan who has it in perspective now. :-)

33. erin maynard says:

People, the writers managed seasons of Lost and tied the show up nicely. Let’s not get too worried about loose ends yet.

34. Kate says:

Anyone watch the BBC series Merlin? Because if you do, “Lancelot as a ‘sword for hire with nothing to lose’” sounds pretty familiar. That’s exactly how he showed up in that series (although that was before meeting Arthur and becoming a knight, not after). Hmm…

35. Dear Sinqua my name is Jessica Fieseher my age is 21 yes I am a adult I wanted to be your friend figure out reachely I have facebook can you request me you can keep in touch with me ok you have my email so just email me whenever your free time I eat meat only Firdaysonce week arested eat viggies hmmm tasted so great

36. sammie ann says:

After reading a few comments, who cares who else they bring into the show.. means its probably gonna last long and keeps u still coming back every week!!!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW! CANT WAIT FOR THE PREMIERE!