Fringe Final Season Production Halted While Star John Noble Seeks Medical Help

Get More: News, Premieres, Scoop

Fox’s Fringe has stopped production four days into shooting its final season so star John Noble can receive treatment for a medical problem.

During the two-week break, Noble will be treated for a previously existing sleep disorder that was aggravated by a hectic travel schedule in recent weeks.

RELATED | What the Spock?! Fringe‘s Emmy Snubs Are ‘Ridiculous,’ Says Leonard Nimoy

The actor, who plays eccentric scientist Walter Bishop on the sci-fi series, wasn’t present Monday for the show’s panel at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills. He reportedly flew to the U.S. from Australia to attend the recent San Diego Comic-Con, then went straight to work on Fringe’s Season 5 last Wednesday. The show shot without him Tuesday before the hiatus decision was made.

RELATEDFringe @ Comic-Con: Final Season Begets Tears and Movie Buzz — Watch the Trailer Here!

Filming is scheduled to resume on Aug. 7, and the Fringe premiere remains slated for Friday, Sept. 28 at 9/8c.

Comments (20)

• I hope he’ll be okay!!

Comment by Erika – July 25, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god when I saw “John Noble” and “medical help” in the same sentence my heart dropped through my chest. Glad he’ll be okay!

Comment by Emma – July 25, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my God, me too. So glad it’s not anything truly dangerous. That headline kind of gave me a heart attack.

Comment by Ella – July 25, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! My husband and I are in the middle of watching all the Fringe seasons right now. The thought of losing John Noble is heart breaking. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Comment by Hypey06 – July 26, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG me too!! I saw the headline and was like “Whaaat!!”
      Hopefully he gets better soon. Peace out!

Comment by Liz – July 26, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kinda freaked out when I read the post’s title. But phew, he’s going to be okay.

Comment by mia – July 25, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gws! That ridiculous airplane flight + working must’ve taken a huge toll.

Comment by Mike Appel (@TaoOfMike) – July 25, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good luck to John, hope he is better real soon.

Comment by Marilou Emard – July 25, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know there are people who are going to be skeptical about this “sleep disorder” thing, but I noticed during some of his interviews at Comic-Con after the Sunday panel, that he seemed a little out of it. He looked exhausted. He did do a lot of stuff at Comic-Con for both Fringe and Dark Matters, he was there for like 3 or 4 days straight doing panels, signings and interviews.

Comment by Donna – July 25, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course I’m skeptical, clearly the real explanation was a fringe event.

Comment by ben – July 25, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The two Universes are collapsing together and overloading his system!!!!!!

In all seriousness, best wishes for a full recovery Mr. Noble – take all th time you need.

Comment by davej – July 25, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! Well whatever the reason, I’m glad he is gonna be okay! We love you John!!!!

Comment by Elle – July 26, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember a story by his daughter where she joked about John’s sleepwalking becoming a joke around the house. So I believe the story

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – July 25, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my heart goes out to Mr. Noble. As a person with insomnia, i can testify how sleep disorders can challenge a person, and I’m sure the stress I’m routinely under is nothing to him. Lets just all hope he gets ALL the help he needs and doesn’t rush it. I would personally rather have Fringe air a little later and have a healthy Mr. Noble than have him push and become seriously ill.

Comment by Deb – July 25, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember reading an odd anecdote about Mr Noble once, a fan said he met him a couple years ago in a most unlikely place – a hyperbaric oxygen treatment center. At the time I wondered what he was being treated for… maybe had something to do with this.

Comment by PBJ – July 25, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, man, sleep disorders are a huge pain to deal with, and I’m sure all of the travel and hectic press and filming schedules aren’t helping. I hope Mr. Noble finds some helpful treatment and is back at 100% soon!

Comment by Ace – July 25, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Mr Noble feels better soon.

Comment by panda – July 25, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope you’re feeling back to normal soon, Mr. Noble!

Comment by Beth – July 26, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suffering from emmy nomination withdrawal syndrome.

Comment by John – July 27, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Walter is by far the most intreaging charecter on “Fringe”. He is not only brilliant, but also a comic relief with an “in-touch” sense of modern drug use for experientation/relaxation.

Walter is literally on the FRINGE of the social norm.

Comment by Ray Moyher – August 18, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post