Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

2012 emmys best comedyHalf of the 2011 Emmy nominees for Outstanding Comedy Series were unceremoniousy snubbed from this year’s race. And yet while there’s reason to kvetch for fans of Glee, Parks and Recreation and The Office, those omissions opened up the category for a pair of HBO newcomers — Girls and Veep — plus Emmy vet Curb Your Enthusiasm, a fellow HBO comedy that scored its last prior nod in 2010.

Back in the race again this year are Modern Family (which is going for its third straight statuette), 30 Rock (enjoying its sixth consecutive nod, with wins in 2007, 2008, and 2009), and The Big Bang Theory.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. I hope it’s just that not many people have voted that Girls is ahead. That show is a steaming pile of crap and not even remotely funny. Of what we have to choose from, I will go with Curb. Palestinian Chicken was a classic lol

• yeah says:

Guaranteed you’ve never seen the show.

• Guaranteed I watched every single episode to see what all the hype was about around here. I can also guarantee if you liked it you are about 20 years old at best. I mean really, dating a weird guy that pees on you in the shower is now comedy gold? Nope.

• Sg.Grant says:

I agree. I’m still a little pissed off that How to Make it in America was cancelled in favor of this abortion of a tv show.

• tuppy says:

I voted for Girls (since Parks and Rec isn’t nominated). Of these six, Girls was by far the most original, compelling, shocking — and, yes, purely hilarious — show this season. I love it at 26, my parents love it in their 60s; it’s remarkable that Lena Dunham and co. are able to mine humor from such grotesque (albeit naturalistic) situations as the one you mention. This is the comedy of real life told through a skewed lens by intelligent people — not the comedy of gimmicks and set ups and punch lines.

• Olive says:

Very well said. I agree with you wholeheartedly. You articulated exactly how I feel. Although I love the gimmicks and punch lines sometimes, it was nice to watch a comedy that leaned towards depicting more real and awkward characters and situations that would not fit with a laugh track. The characters are not exactly likable and they’re not suppose to be. All that being said, I voted for Veep for it’s wit. Would have voted for Parks & Rec

• Oh the “it’s too smart for you card” has been played lol. Louie is smart in the way you are saying. This show just isn’t.

• TigerNightmare says:

While I agree with you completely, I feel that Community and Louie are more deserving, especially over 30 Rock. Even though I’m a bit past my 20s and a man, I can still relate to some of the things the Girls go through, like being cut off from parental support while being completely unprepared to do so. As entertaining as I find it, I don’t think I can call it a straight up comedy and therefore has the disadvantage of competing against shows that are, which hit a greater number of varying notes of hilarity per minute.

Irked by Slezak mentioning Glee for no freaking reason. It was unworthy as both a comedy and a nominee last year and it’s rightfully off the list this year. I’ve experienced food poisonings that are funnier than Glee.

• I am a female in my early 20’s and I really really really did not like this interpretation of my age group. On top of that thing I think were meant to be funny I found awkward and kinda pathetic. If i knew these girls I would not choose to hang round with them. I agree I watched it because of the hype but I think it was well over hyped.

• Mitholas says:

It’s so weird to me that this show is called a comedy. I’d say it’s a drama with some comedy elements, but it’s definitely not a straight-up comedy show. I do like Girls, however… But then, like I said, I never did approach it as a comedy.

• Don Summer says:

I’m 14 and I love Girls. Is that weird?

• Stafford says:

I totally agree that Girls is terrible…it belongs in a new category “Indulgent”. It’s depressing and poorly written and acted so therefore it’s the mainstream critics new obsession (Michael Slezak being the exception). It cannot compare to the other nominees.

2. Potentially beating a dead horse but PARKS AND REC!

3. Rachel says:

COMMUNITY OR PARKS AND REC!!

…oh wait.

4. Rachel says:

Parks and Rec

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

If forced to pick from those choices, I definitely go with Girls. I love all that emotional nakedness. And I laugh at it in much the same awkward way I do as Louie. If not Girls, then Veep as my second choice. Beyond those 2 out of the 6, I wouldn’t want to see anything else win, but yeah, I know it will be Modern Family.

6. D'Arcy says:

Out of those six I would like Girls to win. Really unfortunate that the deserving better shows, Community, Parks & Recreation, and Happy Endings, didn’t get recognized. I would also vote Archer over any of those six.

TBBT and Modern Family are overrated at this point, despite the fact that I still enjoy watching them.

7. Maro says:

Modern family’s got it in the bag!

8. MariaPompeo says:

Community or Parks & Rec…but since they’re not options…Veep should win.

9. WhyohWhy says:

Community! Go Human Beings!! Someday the shows I watch will get nominated.

10. Alex says:

Who should win? 30 Rock ! Who will win? Modern Family

• noa says:

from this very disappointing list, i must agree.
      but if Parks and Rec, Louie or Community would have been nominated, i’d have a hard time choosing…

11. The Dean says:

COMMUNITY. Greendale is the best school in the entire world. Go, Greendale! Go, Greendale, go!

12. Ri says:

I refuse to answer, as Parks & Recreation is not on this list. Curse you, Emmy nominations!

13. Amy says:

Parks and Recreation! Oh, wait.

14. Parks and Recreation is the only show deserving of such a prize

15. Sam says:

Parks and Rec is the best, but come on people, give it a rest already.

Girls should win. The Dunham/Apatow combo cannot be beaten.

16. KND says:

The two best comedies ever weren’t even nominated. Can we start a write in ballot for Community and Parks & Rec???

17. Soso says:

Parks & Rec !!!!! Or Community !!!!
    Oh, okay… then Modern Family.

18. Out of this list Veep is the only comedy I enjoyed this year. Still gutted that all the actually funny shows didnt get nominated. HIMYM, Happy Endings, Cougar Town, Suburgatory, Dont Trust the ***** in Apartment 23, New Girl, Up All Night Community, Parks & Rec and even The Office were all better than the shows nominated, in my opinion.

19. Aleida says:

Parks and Recreation.

Okay, in all seriousness, I would have to choose Modern Family.

20. mia says:

I’m so tired of everything that airs on HBO getting Emmy nominations. Everything! So because HBO does a genre show (Game of Thrones) its suddenly “worthy” of a nom…yet the 45 years of genre television that came before it is ignored.

(And yes I know this is the comedy post)

21. Spencer says:

Question: What should win? Answer: Parks and Recreation.

22. Eliza says:

Parks and Recreation.

23. Rrrrrr says:

30 Rock had a great season this year. I don’t think that it should be Emmy worthy, but compared to the rest of this filth… It’s Emmy worthy.

24. nyla says:

Parks and Recreation. it’s a crime that it got snubbed.

25. Lieutenant Gusto says:

Of the nominated it’s Curb, but my favorite comedy on TV is It’s Always Sunny. Despite its weak season it still beats the hell outta Veep. But this years winner of best comedy series should be….. Louie.

• Troy says:

I was also coming to say It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best comedy on TV. I’m glad someone else agrees.

• tripoli says:

Yup, I feel ya on that. It doesn’t get nearly enough recognition. Such a shame since the entire cast is awesome.

26. chris says:

Parks and Rec. Off that list, Veep.

27. cameron says:

Best Comedies on Televisio (in order)
    1. Community
    2. Parks and Rec, Louie
    3. Happy Endings
    4. 30 Rock (I guess this then would be my choice of this awful list)

28. Val says:

I’d go with Veep. Girls is so ridiculously overrated.

29. soarin829 says:

I vote for Happy Endings.

30. nick1372 says:

Modern Family all the way. The best show on TV.

I’ll pitch in my own list, though:
    1. MF
    2. The Middle
    3. Last Man Standing
    4. TBBT
    5. Hot in Cleveland
    6. Cougar Town

Veep was boring and unfunny. It does not deserve to be on this list.

• YowzaPowza says:

Including Hot in Cleveland and Last Man Standing just negates anything you’ll ever say about comedy TV. Not trying to be mean, but come on. Are you being sarcastic with that list?

• nick1372 says:

I find those two to be some of the funniest shows on the air. They both have great acting and writing, even if their premises are a little weird. They also improved a lot since their premieres. Why do you think they are so bad?

• Yikes says:

Bc they are legitimately terrible. Sorry.

• Soso says:

Hot In Cleveland is just so hilarious and underated !!! The writing is exceptional and full of play on words and the acting is really great (come on, there’s Betty White !!). But people doesn’t care about all that just because it’s on TVLand and because they haven’t as much money than others shows for the setting, filming and all (It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia is underated for the same reason, that’s too bad !!)

• nick1372 says:

I agree with you 100%

• R says:

I agree with you 100% on Hot in Cleveland … Although the show was more funny in its first season.. but it’s one of the most hilarious and uncontrollably laugh-inducing shows on TV right now on air with a great cast! You just cant help but laugh out loud watching this show!

• molly says:

TBBT in a top comedy list? Hot in Cleveland? Last Man Standing?

31. YowzaPowza says:

Cannot believe The Big Bang Theory and Veep were nominated over Parks and Recreation. Not that those are bad shows, but seriously, Parks and Rec is the best comedy on TV (besides Portlandia, which obviously will never be nominated for anything.)

32. Ashly says:

Community and Parks & Rec aren’t on the list. How am I supposed to vote?

• noa says:

so true. not even Louie. i have lost all respect for Emmy voters. they really made love to the pooch on this one.

33. Diogo Silva says:

I’ll be happy if Modern Family doesn’t win this year.

34. chris says:

New Girl should be there — anyone else out there think that Veep and Girls should NOT be in the running??? I love julia louis dreyfus, but the show is not that great.

• If Community and Parks and Rec aren’t there, then New Girl certainly shouldn’t be. I’m not trying to pick on any one person on this site, but seriously what is up with people that think Veep, New Girl, and Girls are better than either of the two shows I listed, let alone Modern Family and Louie. And Archer. And a few other shows. Veep at least had some funny moments. Girls is a poor attempt at what Louie does. And New Girl is seriously boooooooooooring. The funniest part of the show is Max Greenfield.

• dude says:

The New Girl is horribly overrated. It’s a nice show but it’s never been nearly as good as people claim it is and 9 times out of 10, I fine Zooey more annoying than funny. I watch it occasionally and enjoy it but Emmy worthy? Not a chance.

• jess says:

IA! I’ve seen all of New Girl, sometimes even appt viewing, but it’s not even on my top 10 fav comedies. I don’t like Zooey’s character that much (same name as moi) but love the other casts and the guest stars.

35. chris says:

There is really nothing stopping modern family from winning yet again — especially with this list of “comedies”.

36. Jared says:

Veep is by far the funniest show in the list this year. It should be winner, hands down. However, my heart is and will always be with Parks and Recreation. It is a complete travesty that PRex was snubbed and has yet to win an Emmy.

37. Sha says:

TBBT has barely been mentioned in these comments, yet it’s leading in the poll. I voted for it, would be awesome if it won the actual award

38. dude says:

Parks and Rec! Oh wait? Modern Family does NOT deserve it for that horribly safe and stale season (a good finale does not make up for such a ho-hum season). Girls will probably get it but I’d rather see Parks and Rec, Community or Glee nominated and win than any of these. Each had far more fulfilling creative seasons.

39. magali says:

community!

40. matt says:

Parks and Recreation…this snub is the worst. Did the voters not see this past season?
    Happy Endings
    The Middle
    Cougar Town
    New Girl

41. Da Swag General says:

Wheres Meet The Browns at? Dat junt is toooooo funny. Never heard of the other shows but I know Tyler Perry aint had nuttin to do wif dem so they can’t be good

42. August says:

I voted for Parks & Rec……..in my dreams, sadly.

43. JJ says:

If you all here like Parks and Rec so much why does it get so bad ratings. It seems like people are not watching it….. I haven’t watched it ever so I really can’t say anythinh about the quality of that show. All in all I think it’s stupid to complain about these nominations. It is what it is…..

• TigerNightmare says:

Your opinion makes a difference.

• Atoz15 says:

Bc we are true fans! And the small amount of ppl who watch it love it and will defend it until death!!

• Gem says:

Because we don’t have Neilsen boxes. Watching live doesn’t mean anything without it.

• molly says:

Because America prefers to watch shows that are less sophisticated and also less funny. Most Americans prefer to watch shows that consist primarily of poop and sex jokes (Two and a Half Men/The BIg Bang Theory/2 Broke Girls). The one exception is Modern Family (which is much worse than it was in its first season). That is why good shows (Parks and Rec/Community/Happy Endings/and 30 Rock) all dont have great ratings.

• grace2552 says:

Ratings are directly reflective of neither the quality of the show nor the rabidity of the fan following. See: Firefly

44. two@@ says:

30 rock

45. alisonfaith297 says:

I only recently heard about Girls and Veep as I don’t often watch shows on HBO that much. So i watch a couple episode here and there and i have to say its pretty good. But this may be a little biased cause i have been a modern family gan from the start, but i just find modern family more hilarious and this is partially cause its more relatable in some ways the craziness in all the families. i love TBBT as well but i didn’t find this season that funny as the last

• nick1372 says:

Seconded! Modern Family is the best show on TV, and I’m glad there’s someone on this site who likes it.

• robbushblog says:

I love Modern Family. This past season wasn’t as good as the first two, but it’s still better than most any other comedy on TV. I think they made a mistake by advance aging Lily, but oh well. I got the first two seasons on DVD for Christmas and watched every episode within 5 days. That’s like 44 episodes.

46. Babybop says:

I have a feeling that Parks and Rec would win this poll if on it… Ha ha. I pick Big Bang Theory out of this list. I don’t watch Modern Family, Girls, or Veep. I love 30 Rock, but I felt this season of Big Bang Theory was stronger than 30 Rock’s season. Just my opinion!

47. Franklin says:

There was something about Veep that felt so very fresh and original. I have never been a fan of political comedies or dramas, but I found Veep to be something different. Yes each episode centered around something within the political community but the delivery of their lines, came off with a great deadpan wit. The supporting cast was even impeccable with their comedy chops. Louise-Dreyfus is a comedy genius, in my opinion so she obviously hit the comedy right out of the park. I admit there were 2 or 3 dull episodes, but the majority of them were absolutely flawless. every character was different, and they all meshed together like odd best friends. Veep has my vote.

48. Thari says:

Community, Parks & Recs, Louie, Archer, Suburgatory, what a tough choice! Oh, wait… never mind… I thought this was the Emmy for the best comedy series, but it turns out it’s for the most popular show … At least Glee isn’t nominated, thank god for small miracles, I guess..

49. ddutchie88 says:

1. Parks & Recreation
    2. Community
    3. Happy Endings
    4. Modern Family
    5. Cougar Town
    6. The Big Bang Theory

So I guess Modern Family, even though this was their weakest season yet

• jess says:

how did I forget happy endings?! oops! my ranking is pertty close to yours, just move TBBT to #4 and then MF and CT down to #5 and #6.