Report: Ousted Community Creator Dan Harmon to Create Multi-Camera Comedy Pilot for Fox

NBC’s recent, polarizing loss may be Fox’s gain.

Ousted Community creator Dan Harmon is very close to sealing a pilot deal with the network, TVLine has confirmed. (TV Guide first broke the news.)

RELATED | Dan Harmon Opens Up About Community Ouster: ‘To People Who Work Above Me, I Am a Liability’

The yet-unnamed, multi-camera comedy would be Harmon’s second project in the works since being bounced from Community in May; he’s also got an animated pilot called Rick & Morty in the hopper for Adult Swim.

Harmon’s worked with Fox before. In 1999, he co-wrote a Jack Black/Owen Wilson-starring, Ben Stiller-directed comedy/sci-fi mashup called Heat Vision & Jack. The avant garde project didn’t make it past the pilot stage.

David Garascio and Moses Port replaced Harmon as Community exec producers/showrunners in a surprise move by NBC this spring. Though Harmon officially remains on the staff as a consulting producer, he has suggested the role is a vanity title.

RELATED | NBC Boss Open to More Community, Insists Fans Will Get ‘Same Show’ Despite Dan Harmon Ouster

“… If I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldn’t have any power,” he wrote at the time. “I’m not saying you can’t make a good version of Community without me, but I am definitely saying that you can’t make my version of it unless I have the option of saying, ‘It has to be like this’ or ‘I quit’ roughly eight times a day.”

Harmon is the fourth Greendale guy to move to Fox: Former Community co-showrunners Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan are at the forthcoming Ben & Kate, and former co-executive producer Chris McKenna has joined The Mindy Project.

1. Sam says:

No. Multi. Camera! Come on, Harmon, what are you thinking?!

2. TV Gord says:

Unless he finds some heretofore unexplored way to break the fourth wall, I am skeptical.

3. mawhi says:

Hmmm yes, Fox is the perfect place for an eccentric showrunner whose last project lived on the verge of cancellation.

4. Dizzle says:

The world needs more smart, funny, multi camera sitcoms. Get Jimmy Burrows to direct and I think we’d have a winner here!

5. KS says:

Maybe he’ll do that Seinfeld/Monster House hybrid multi-cam sitcom I’ve been dreaming of all these years.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

Multi-cam???? Aww, Dan, why?

7. Superhero says:

Yep, agree with most people here. Love Harmon, despise multi-camera comedies. Frankly, I think he’s better off going to a cable network; maybe Showtime or FX (doubt he’s a big enough name for HBO). He’d get much more creative freedom there.

8. TigerNightmare says:

I love Community and I don’t get the multi-camera hate. It’s also known as “traditional” shooting and there have been many excellent and brilliant shows shot this way. I don’t see anything on today matching the quality the likes of Cheers, Wings, Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, Roseanne, Perfect Strangers, Soap and The Golden Girls, just to name a few. The first couple seasons of Big Bang Theory were excellent as well, and still pretty decent today.

If there’s anyone I believe can pull off a smart, funny multi-camera sitcom with likeable characters, it’s Dan Harmon.

• Angela says:

Agreed. Honestly, until recently I didn’t pay a bit of attention to “single camera” versus “multi-camera” stuff. That’s probably about the last thing I’m thinking about when I watch a show, and I’m sure most viewers don’t care about that, either. Why does the number of cameras matter? When did we decide that cameras told us whether or not a show was good?
      Good luck to Harmon with his new gig. Hopefully things will work out better for everyone this time around.

• Eli says:

I agree too! My favorite sitcoms of all times were multicam ones. Alright, sometimes these single cam ones have a better chance of coming up with innovative and creative ideas that are often touted as “smarter” but they tend to be less funny. I’m really sorry, but when I watch a sitcom, I would like to laugh! The often-hated laugh track/audience laughter, I feel, kind of forces the writers to insert jokes (actual jokes). These single cam sitcoms don’t get the chance to test their jokes in front of an audience. Yes, they seem smarter…they often make me smile…but they rarely make me laugh out loud.

• Dizzle says:

You took the words right out of my mouth! I still watch Frasier, Friends, Cheers and Will & Grace to this day – when a comedy is done right it works, regardless of the format. And if anyone can make it work, it’s Dan Harmon.