The Plan to Save Smash: NBC Execs Tout a 'More Consistent,' 'Edge of Your Seat' Season 2

Smash won’t raise the curtain on Season 2 until midseason, but already the NBC brass are seeing signs that the musical drama, which debuted amid much hubbub last winter, will get back on track and fulfill its promise.

At the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills on Tuesday, TVLine asked NBC chairman Robert Greenblatt and president of entertainment Jennifer Salke what it was that they bought into a little over a year ago that failed to materialize in the execution, resulting in the exit of Smash creator Theresa Rebeck, the enlistment of Gossip Girl alum Josh Safran as the Season 2 showrunner and a flurry of cast cuts.

“We had some ups and downs creatively as the season went on, which is true of any [new] show,” Greenblatt conceded. Specifically, he said where the show disappointed — and hopefully where Safran will fix things — is in “the arcing of storylines and … going one direction with a character and continuing in a really interesting way with that arc.”

RELATED | Smash Season 2 Scoop: Meet Karen’s Spunky New [Spoiler]!

Greenblatt said that, even though Smash is slated for a midseason return, filming of Season 2 has already begun and “there are some great new storylines,” including the addition of Tony Award nominee Jeremy Jordan (Newsies) and American Idol alum/Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson (who appears in three of the first four episodes).

Speaking to the issue of inconsistent storytelling, Salke said that in a meeting with Safran, “[His] vision for the season… was so specific, you were on the edge of your seat. It just felt like there’s a real plan in place and things are coming together in a way that feels more consistent.”

As for the dropping of poorly received characters such as Ellis, Dev, Michael Swift and Julia’s hubby Frank — to which we suggested that Leo could very easily also be sent packing, perhaps to Micronesia — Greenblatt said, “It’s a big soap with a number of characters [and] at the end of the season, relationships end. You look at characters and evaluate whether they’re great characters or not.”

Tags: ,

Comments (178)

• LOVE Smash! hopefully it won’t get cancelled next year

Comment by Jen – July 24, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. It’s really fun. Sorry that everyone just picks it apart to death though… it’s getting so old.

Comment by Danielle H – July 24, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Smash!!! Please do not allow this wonderful show to be cancelled. I was disappointed to learn that it would be returning in January rather than in the fall. Now the fans have to wait another 6 months for season 2. In the meantime, I’ve been watching season 1 episodes again. I agree that some cast members should be eliminated but please don’t oust Jack Davenport as Derek. Love him!!! He’s fantastic.

Comment by Veronica Andrade Reynolds – July 25, 2012 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. Jack davenport is superb.

Comment by natalie potter – July 28, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, Derek is hot!! But lead character’s bf glad he is going!

Comment by Sophia Lord – October 20, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • SMASH ROCKS! WHY POSTPONE? I DON”T SEE ALL THE ALLEGED WEAKNESSES!

Comment by RickyDee ForObama – August 3, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously what are these people talking about? did they watch the show? I loved the first season and have been anxiously waiting for season 2! After reading all this crap and changes being made to the show! Not sure if I’ll even want to tune in for season 2! Why must people mess with a good thing!!! ARRGGH!!

Comment by Spring Wronski – September 21, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Iopo to agree,Can’t wait season 2 to start,I can”t believe people can’t leave a good show alone.

Comment by Linda – September 25, 2012 01:45 PM PDT
          • Couldn’t agree more!! I have been counting on “my show”!! I absolutely adore Smash and didn’t see anything wrong with it!! I will say, however, I didn’t care for Uma Thurman or her character but that was the point… wasn’t it?? Please please please keep the show unique. I pray it doesn’t turn into another Grey’s Anatomy (don’t get me wrong Grey’s had its appeal…). I loved how unpredictable and the many twists and turns in the storyline. That’s what kept me glued to the screen!

Comment by MissMoe – October 14, 2012 01:58 PM PDT
          • Couldn’t agree more that these people are misguided…we loved the show and didn’t see the flaws outlined above. That’s Hollywood! Meanwhile this piece of crap Revolution is following The Voice now!!!

Comment by jboo – October 15, 2012 07:06 PM PDT
          • I agree. My favorite show and I love all the current characters. Sad to see the changes. Hurry up Season 2!

Comment by sandi – October 31, 2012 07:20 AM PDT
      • I too am waiting with baited breath for the return of SMASH! It’s one of the very few good shows on TV. I was livid that NBC took HARRY’S LAW off. It was fantastic! Well written, superbly acted with a good combination of drama and humor. So what did NBC do? Take Harry’s law off and replace it with more junk like Stars with Guns….or whatever that awful show with Nick LaShay & Ali’s daughter is in …….stars???? Oh and now the ahow where all the power goes off around the word. What NBC doesn’t seem to understand is that there ARE viewers out here that actually have brains and like stories that have good plots! We don’t necessarily need another show that just blows people up or has has been celebreties running around doing stupid things!

Comment by carol demme – September 19, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh how I agree about the networks assuming we viewers are interested only in empty television shows that we watch to the accompaniment of munching on popcorn. Our brains cry out for stimulation not from gums going off or blood steaming out of victims or being sucked up by vampires, but we long for stimuli that makes us think, makes us happy and fills the evening with calories of substance not emptiness. Why or why is there so much copy cat going on in this industry.? The new shows I have read about are just one copy after another. I guess the powers that be are just a bunch of scardey cats. afraid to take a chance on offering something new and/or exciting.

Comment by sylvia – September 22, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen. The dumbing down of television needs to end SMASH was the most exciting show on the air in almost a decade. It’s been so long since I had to be home to watch a show or couldn’t miss an episode. I hope all of the creative differences don’t ruin it. The cast was superb and each one added an aspect of suspense to the storyline. Do these guys look at the ratings? Season One was a home run. I too am disappointed the show doesn’t return until January.

Comment by karen – October 4, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are so right. I’m an old gal who loves the old story lines that are intersected by marvelous song and dance numbers. NBC stop playing around you had it right the first time.

Comment by B Jimmis – October 5, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree with you 100%. I loved it. Just leave it alone……PLEASE!! Toni M

Comment by Toni MacTavish – October 10, 2012 07:51 PM PDT
          • I love SMASH as it was Season 1. It has the best music and cast on any TV show in years. Why mess it up?

Comment by Dona – October 25, 2012 09:35 PM PDT
        • I have to agree, I too was wondering if, like Harry’s Law, (which my husband and I loved) was also going to be cancelled and go the way of all the good shows and be replaced with all these reality shows. Incredible. NBC needs to find out about what people who need better television are really about. Please keep Smash going, and maybe even could consider bringing Harry’s Law back. Get real here…..

Comment by Joyce – November 11, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree! Smash is terrific as was Harry’s Law. What was NBC thinking? They really need to GET REAL!

Comment by Lee Bivins – November 12, 2012 07:06 AM PDT
      • please don’t cancel this show, it’s the best show i’ve ever seen on t.v. and really count on it. it’s excellent, in every way.

Comment by Susan Ferguson – September 23, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Stpehanie Walters killed this show and every other show she claims to have ever been in. Love Smash? Hate Stephanie Walters. Philly “actress”

Comment by Nate Johnson – October 26, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been trying to find out exactly when the 2nd Season was supposed to come out,and now I know. Thank you.

Comment by jennifer schellin – October 15, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was my favorite new show in quite awhile….can’t wait for the return, even though I’d be happier if it were sooner. Definitely one-of-a- kind! Loved the music and a big fan of Katherine McPhee!

Comment by Karen Wilkins – October 20, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Derek should be in the season 2! he’s too hott!!!

Comment by milo – October 24, 2012 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sure hope you keep Angelica and Thorsten Kaye thing going….Thorsten Kaye and Angelica Huston are anchors to the Chaos going on around them…I sure hope they give it solid writing and more time on the air…

Comment by Cynthia – July 25, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hope NBC EXECS don’t screw it up. Here’e the key Just Have Katherine McFee sing at least three times each show and your good to go.

Comment by Chad Pop McKenna – July 30, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, I look forward to watch the show mainly to hear Katherine McFee SING! she has an awesome voice my favorite singing act she did was when she did Rumer Has It

Comment by Barb – September 23, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Rumour Has It”.

Comment by Leila – September 24, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Smash is the one show that I would not miss last season. Disappointed to hear I have to wait until January to hear Catherine mcFee sing.

Comment by Shirley – September 25, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SMASH is an awesome addition to the regular TV line-up. Although it may be too tame for some viewers looking for the thrill of violence, horror or unrealistic comedy, SMASH is simple entertainment. The backstage mini dramas of a Broadway play are just plain fun and informative. Please, please keep this unique type of show in the line-up. LOVE IT! Also, please keep Dev. He has a refreshing personality and such great speaking skills. Couldn’t he be some sort of press agent or media representative for the group?

Comment by Julie – August 23, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 100% agree! It’s so interesting, it doesn’t need the hype or big names. I often think hig names ruin things like this. I’d hate to see it go the way of Gossip Girl with its ridiculous story lines.

Comment by salsamite – September 11, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been so happy that finally they have brought in a TV series as a musical. I LOVE THIS SHOW. I was not sure about Kat McPhee but I am totally sold. what great singers and dancers and it is really interesting to see this portrayal of Marilyn Monroe. I think that this is one TV series that is great and it is this type of program that I am willing to take the time to watch. GOOD JOB it is great to see good television again – I am burnt and disappointed on so much reality TV. I cannot wait for season 2 and I was very happy with the cast, i understand that some have to move on – but as long as the storyline stays strong I feel you have a hit!!!!

Comment by Kathy – September 27, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved smash and was soooo hoping it was not cancelled..It was so well done..

Comment by Nancy – October 15, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Smash was one of the greatest shows ever, so entertaining with a great story, music and a little dancing. What could one ask for anything more. Tired of old clicheed sitcoms. Smash was like spring after winter.

Comment by Vilma Waugh – October 18, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really enjoyed Smash last season. I hope it’s not canceled, too many good shows are cancelled and SO many reality shows( honey boo boo, really?!) stay on the air! I also hope they don’t change Smash too much, I thought it was great the way it was! I think that’s what happened to Harry’s Law which I loved. It was great the first season then they made horrible changes! Aargh!

Comment by Nancy – November 1, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Smash is a SMASH! Love the music especially,as well as the musical production numbers. Sure there are growing pains with any new series, but this one should definitely be brought back for an encore… and more!

Comment by Brenda – November 29, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Due to my experience with the last two awful seasons of Gossip Girl, I struggle to imagine Safran having any kind of “consistent” or “specific” vision – certainly not one that leaves me the least bit interested, let alone on the edge of my seat.

I stopped watching Smash halfway through the first season, but if it and he somehow revolutionize themselves in a completely unprecedented way, I just might be back.

Comment by Emily – July 24, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO my thoughts exactly. Anyone who thinks that Safran is some “saving hope” for Smash just needs to watch season five of Gossip Girl to see how quickly a show under his direction can unravel. Without a doubt one of the worst seasons of television I have ever watched on any show.

Comment by dude – July 24, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m in the same boat. Really?!? Josh safran? The only reason ill be tuned into goasip girl thia fall is because he’s gone and to see the final resolution. If he were brought on earlier gg would have been cancelled. That coupled with such a long wait between seasons and people might just lose interest. Remember last seasons ringer?

Comment by patrick – September 5, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i agree – i see “john safran” and “gossip girl” and im almost hyperventilating of nervousness… chances are the show we all love from theresa rebeck will be ruined :(

Comment by lovelula – October 22, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please do not cancel this show! I am not a huge TV fan, but I love Smash. I hate the thought that you would let any of the cast go.

Comment by Susan Ottemiller – September 17, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You mean Leo isn’t already gone? Ugh.

Comment by alex – July 24, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Frank and Leo had potential. It’s a shame that Frank (and probably Leo) won’t get the chance.

Comment by Megan – July 24, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t think there was anything wrong with Frank. Michael Swift however, and ANYTHING involving Debra Messing (who is a charisma void equal only to Brandon Routh) was awful

Comment by stew – July 25, 2012 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree – I thought Frank was a great character – it was Debra Messing who couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag. Leo admittedly is annoying, but guess what folks he’s written as an actual teenager not a late 20 something pretending to be.

Michael Swift and Julia = barf. No chemistry whatsoever, and it made no sense for either of them to cheat.

Not sure why the hate on for Dev, I quite liked him. Tom and Sam = blech.

Comment by stew – October 22, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • In other words just don”t watch the show. The majority of us do not agree with you. As for your”insights on Debra Messing, you must be watching some other show she is superb . The other castings were spot on. Just don’t watch if you dislike this show. You have plenty of other choices!

Comment by Lee Bivins – November 12, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are people unaware that Josh Safran pretty much killed Gossipgirl? The guy ran the characters into the ground and gave Gossipgirl the worst ratings ever. Good luck Smash fans because you’ll need it.

Comment by MSC – July 24, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Consistent and Safran are two words I never associate with each other. Looking at how he destroyed Gossip Girl I don’t expect much better for Smash with him in charge.

Comment by Mini – July 24, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, after 5 years, I’m still watching Gossip Girl…but the show has been awful from day one. There was nothing to ruin.

Comment by Michael – July 24, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Truth

Comment by TheLonelyPlace – July 24, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t imagine anyone who’s seen season one and season five of Gossip Girl can say that they are of equal quality. It was never a master class in perfect writing but it was well written at one point and followed some form of logic.

Comment by dude – July 24, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the characters they cut were the real problem. As someone with experience in musical theater, I can tell you truthfully that Katherine McPhee wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell getting a role against Megan Hilty. I stopped watching Smash because the idea that she would EVER get called back for that part much less get cast is absurd. If I want fantasy, I’ll watch Game of Thrones.

Comment by Vic – July 24, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agree with you!

Comment by Barb – July 24, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They also had to make Ivy completely deplorable so that we would root for Karen. They should have had her kill Dev, just to make sure we are all on Karen’s side.(Actually, killing Dev might have endeared her to a few people.)

In the end, I don’t really care. Katherine McPhee was, on her worst day, capable and I thought that the final performance was a knockout. LOVED it. I’ve been following Megan Hilty for years now and always want her to be front and center but Kat McPhee is starting to hold her own. I think that you are being a little too hard on her. That “fantasy” comment was funny but a bit ridiculous. I’ve seen more talented understudies who don’t land roles because of nepotism, a famous name or sex/sex appeal. There’s no guarantee that the best is going to land the role every time, even on Broadway.

Comment by Michael – July 24, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe you are right, but if in fact Broadway’s vitality and existence is fading, perhaps if they pursued less conventional casting and went with more pop-ey ingenues, it might have more public interest. Just a thought. Also, it is television, so where is the idea that it’s supposed to be true-to-life coming from? It seems we are supposed to route for Karen because she is the underdog, and less conventional than belter Ivy.

Comment by Sera Belle – July 24, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be selling out. Broadway singers are trained to both dance and sing and do least 8 shows a week. Plus all their singing is live without autotune. Most popstars wouldn’t last a month on the great white way.

Comment by Brent – July 24, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As someone with experience in musical theater, I can tell you truthfully that Megan Hilty wouldn’t have a snowballs chance in hell getting a role against Katharine McPhee. Look at iTunes, look at FB, look at twitter, who has the most fans? sells the most songs?

Comment by marta – July 24, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you Marta ~ I love Katherine McPhee! While Megan Hilty has a decent voice, there is something that just rubs me the wrong way.

Comment by Vi – July 24, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you serious? Megan has originated at least one role and played many others… WTF has Ms. McPhee done? The House Bunny and American Idol (and she lost to Taylor Hicks of all people-one of the worst selling of all AI vets) She also played Marilyn’s part in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes at City Center in NY a few months ago. Katherine’s voice isn’t strong enough for Broadway. She you obviously you don’t know much about Musical Theatre.

Comment by Chris – July 28, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Has anyone seen kat mcphee sing live? I have when she was in college and she was breathtaking! Does she have some maturing to do? Yes.

Comment by patrick – September 5, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agree – so pleased to hear other people noticed that. Megan is a TRUE super star, the REAL thing, its so unbelievable that McPhee could even come close to her.

Comment by Bridgitte – July 24, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!! Katherine as good a singer that she is, she would never have a chance at a role as Marilyn! Come on people Megan is Marilyn, her body type her everything screams Marilyn! Katherine looked ridicules as Marilyn, one of the things Marilyn was proud of was her full figure, and Katherine did not fill that requirement or all the others for that matter!

Comment by Jos P. – August 10, 2012 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree…love them both but Megan is totally Marilyn. I hope the show isn’t cancelled…I love it and am so happy to be watching someting without sadistic murderers etc…SMASH is Entertaninment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Eileen B – September 17, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How this guy still has a job running NBC is pretty interesting. I really don’t think that there is anything “edge of your seat” interesting about Broadway musicals. Unless you like an hour long cat fight week after week I guess. Plus pretty unbelievable blackmailing assistants. I don’t see this show growing it’s audience next year.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – July 24, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously know nothing about the theatre world. The writers have failed thus far to bring us to the edges of our seats but the Broadway world is rife with fascinating stories to tell.

Comment by Michael – July 24, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stuck with the show but will be honest and say it was a struggle. I’ll check out S2 but if it continues down the hot mess road I won’t be around long. Such a shame, it has/had so much potential.

Comment by wrstlgirl – July 24, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way. I made it through the entire first season but it was a struggle. Just the whole time I felt like I was being told who to cheer for and/or feel sorry for. I have seen the small town girl coming to the big city to achieve her dreams enough times. Karen was such a bland character on top of it that I could care a less about her “struggle”. I was more interested in Ivy’s struggles with living up to the expectations of having a Broadway star mother and her own insecurities that she might not be good enough. I will check out season 2, but it is going to be drastically different to keep me watching.

Comment by Jenny – July 25, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely. I found Karen to be so very blah. The doe-eyed, sugar and spice, small town girl who’s about as interesting as cardboard. It made me grit my teeth each week to see her handed opportunities that Ivy had worked 10 years to achieve. And throughout it all, we’re supposed to be cheering for her as is made plainly obvious by the storytelling. I agree so much with a comment above that they had to make Ivy detestable just to get Karen’s character off the ground. Combined with that horrendously unbelievable ending (learning an entire show’s blocking in 12 hours when she’s never done a live show in her life and just a few months prior she was struggling with stage up/stage down? are you kidding me?). I’ll be tuning in to season two just to see if they get over their need to constantly drag Ivy down in order to put Karen on a pedestal. If not, I’m through watching.

Comment by Julie – September 1, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest problem with Smash was that it had a great, smart pilot that promised a lot of things that the show ultimately couldn’t commit to. It was like they showed us one thing and then hit us with another.

Comment by Rrrrrr – July 24, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited to see what Safran does with Smash. I, too, was mixed about the show but I felt like it had so much potential and needed to work out some of the kinks. I think getting rid of those characters was the best thing that could have happened. Ellis was a ridiculous character that made no sense for storytelling purposes. The only one I wish they kept around was Dev, but I understand why they had to cut ties with that character as well. He did something beyond the point of any redeemable qualities and it was time to focus on just the nuclear family of the show which is the Bombshell cast and crew. Hopefully it works out because the show has an incredible cast and a really promising future.

Comment by Tommy – July 24, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am excited with Safran on board. Plus the finale was fantastic.
    Cannot wait to continue to see evolve Karen and Derek´s relationship. Kat said there will be lots of interation between them! And I am loving that the story lines will be so much more consistent now. I am excited!

Comment by Titina – July 24, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show and most of season one(episodes9_12 or so were weak but the finale was awesome).Ill kinda miss Dev & Ellis but agree with them being gone too.Im looking foward to Jennifer Hudson and Karens new roomate. Smash was one of my fave new shows last season &, usually im not a fan of musicals but Smash was great.I dont get everyone complaining about Josh Safran &,, him ruining GG cause I lovrd seasons four & five(three was the just ok one imo)& ive watched it from the begining.

Comment by Brandy – July 24, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched Gossip Girls for the simple fact that it just cries out crap adolescent soap nonsense. I sincerely hope that this guy taking over doesn’t damage this wonderful series with crappy teenage angst.

Smash definitely needed some tweaking for sure. As much as I disliked Ellis, I still wanted to see him on the series. I also liked Michael Swift. The man can sing. That whole strange stalkery-type storyline could have been reworked. It didn’t make sense. The husband was hardly seen, he could have been kept on. The one negative was the actor playing the son. He just didn’t work for me. I’m rooting for Smash to come back bigger and bolder.

Comment by Tania – July 24, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umh, I thought this was too be a TV musical based on Broadway???? Let’s get back to that. The road from boston to New York can play out and take years to get there. The musical numbers are whats lacking from the last few episodes.

Comment by Rick – July 24, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Season 2! I say keep the characters that were supposed to be cut. Especially Ellis. Every show needs a sneeky character.

Comment by Susan – July 24, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Do not let them go!

Comment by Ancsa Csermák – July 24, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Ellis has to be gone. He is extremely annoying.

Comment by Vi – July 24, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best thing they did was get rid of Ellis. Agree that we look for the bad/sneaky guy in a show. Even at times we love to hate them. But Ellis was beyond this. He was a character you just simply hated. I hated that he found out every secret without actually doing anything. Seemed like every time someone was hiding something the next shot was Ellis around the corner overhearing it all. Actually shock he wasn’t in the bedroom when Dev/Ivy woke up the next morning to have that secret as well.

Comment by Jenny – July 25, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • jajaajjjjajajaajja!!!!!! IIIII HHHHHAAATTTEEEEEEEEEE ELLIS!!!!!!!!!!! and i think hes a bad actor he delivered he’s lines all with the same intentions he sucks!!!!!!

Comment by Jos P. – August 10, 2012 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep the cast. Life is complex; Dev, Ellis and the rest gave the show depth and variety. Concerned about the comments about Safran and his effect on GG. Please don’t destroy this one!!

Comment by Smash-ed – October 7, 2012 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What ever happened to that Julia and her husband trying to adopt a new baby? That just kinda disappeared half way through the first season.

Comment by Laura Scobell – July 24, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She threw up…but now both potential fathers are gone , so…?

Comment by Pam – July 24, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well given the other idiotic cuts NBC has made (Harry’s Law, Awake and SyFy’s Eureka) I fully expect Smash, my final NBC show to be cut as well.

Comment by Salomeh – July 24, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eureka ~ so upset it’s gone :(

Comment by Vi – July 24, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I loved the first season. It was a bit uneven, but the musical numbers made up for it. Ellis was annoying, but you need an annoying character. I liked Dev until they made him ridiculous at the end. The best thing was the musical numbers and the terrific talent of the major characters. I hope this doesn’t go the way of Glee, which got too cute for its own good.

Comment by Leslie – July 24, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch ‘edge of your seat’ type shows. I don’t want to be kept in constant suspense. I like to be amused and have fun. GG was great fun. Smash has been fun. Unless there’s a phantom in the theater, I hope it continues to be fun and amusing.

Comment by bobbie – July 24, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sick of shows being cancelled withoutnwi giving them enough time to finish the story. Alcatraz, Secret circle etc so many questions never answered. I love smash best show to come out for ages if they do cancel I’m going to stop watching us programmes as there seems no point.

Comment by Smilingassasin – July 24, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Smiling. I specifically watched it for Kat McFee and convinced my friend to watch it & we both LOVED IT!! She is not one to even watch much T,V, so we’re both anxiously awaiting S2…..pleeease bring it back. I am a music lover from a very talented family and we ALL watch it! Bernadette Peters is a HUGE STAR and so is Angelica and certainly Jennifer Hudson can “DO IT ALL” I WATCHED IT EVERY WEEK FOLLOWING “DANCING WITH THE STARS” and it made our night! Looking forward to it again or I too will never get involved with any other programs. Comment by B, B.~ Sept.9,2012 1;10 A.M.

Comment by Bette B. – September 9, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved SMASH from the get-go. I’ve been involved in theatre over the years and to what some say, that doesn’t make sense, oh, yes, it does, I saw all of it and it was fun watching it on TV. I hate to see Dev go, as this was the one total difference in this scenario that I would have liked to see handled. I loved the conflict between the two gals. This is a great show and I look forward to Season 2. I agree with Tania, I hated Ellis, but who hasn’t worked with someone exactly like that. . . another conflict that’s real and natural.

Comment by JKW – July 24, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to learn that Frank would be leaving as I think his character added a stabilizing influence but I have to say Michael gave me the creeps. As for Ellis, although a bit over the top, as he says, every show needs a villian. I have enjoyed Smash, if only because it is a welcome relief from so-called reality TV and Law & Order reruns!

Comment by Shann – July 24, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the first season of Smash. Granted, there are some minor tweaks that could be made to make it even better, it was still very enjoyable to watch. As someone who did theater for years and years, it’s true that someone like Ivy would always win over Karen – but that’s why this show is so great, because it allows the underdog to win sometimes. That’s what TV is about. Reality is boring which is why people watch TV in the first place, and Smash does a great job of giving theater “nerds” an escape from the dulldrums of everyday life. Ellis needed to go, but I kind of liked Dev and wouldn’t mind him coming back after a little break.

Comment by Sarah – July 24, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Minor tweaks? This show needs an overhaul! The concept was good, but they kept hitting viewers over the head with “Karen great…Ivy bad” even though it was clear that Ivy was the better actress for the role (no diss to Katherine McPhee…I’m talking about the characters not the actors). Then there were so many ridiculous storylines (the baby from China, Leo is missing…no he is hiding in his friend’s room, everything “terrible Ellis” did, boyfriend roulette for Tom, Karen’s boyfriend and the “other woman” who wasn’t Ivy, the stalker actor/boyfriend for Julia) that it became a really bad soap opera. Get back to being what it was supposed to be: a drama about putting together a Broadway musical. There can be tangential storylines to make the characters interesting, but the basic “lets put on a show” theme has to be central and somewhat realistic (for a tv drama, that is). Good luck for Season 2 otherwise “Bombshell” it will be!

Comment by dan – July 24, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hated getting beat over the head week after week about “Karen good…Ivy bad”. I actually found myself cheering for ivy more than Karen.

Comment by Jenny – July 25, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The thing is….that’s what theatre is. A soap opera. Backstage is way more interesting than the story being told on stage. As a theatre professional, I watch every week and laugh because it’s my life on tv. Especially the Tech Week episode. I was in tech week at the same time and my husband (who is the Frank character in our relationship and loved Frank on the show) forced me to sit down and watch. It might seem crazy and over the top, but it’s so close to reality it’s ridiculous.

Comment by Laura – September 16, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s good to know. lol My daughter an I watch smash and then ( around the water cool) the next day talk about it. It will be sooo sad if the don’t continue season 2. I know it take certin type of people to watch it ,an not everyone will like it to make good ratings but alot of us really love it.

Comment by rusty – September 25, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Smash!! Absolutely my favorite show last year.

Comment by Alissa – July 24, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely loved the show and have watched all episodes more than once. I love Katherine McPhee and think she has incredible talent. Can’t wait for the show to begin again.

Comment by Cindy – July 24, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what is “MID SEASON”? I hate when they dont start a show in the fall line up.. Dont they realize when they do that people start watching something else? So when mid season comes around no one swithes to another show. Thats like a death wish to a show.

Comment by peg – July 24, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love SMASH, great show, wonderful cast. Love Katherine, as Karen really talented Idol alum. Jennifer
    Hudson will add to the talent. Nice to see a show that is fun and entertaining no violence. That is usually the reason networks cancel. Look forward to the new season!

Comment by Marie – July 24, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree. This is just suppose to be fun. If you do not take it serious then you can sit back and really enjoy it. I do think they need to focus more on the show within the show. I am in theatre and there is enough drama just backstage and onstage to make it interesting, and they need to make the characters more real. I do not know many people that work in the chorus and live in 1500 square feet or more. Keep the great musical numbers, keep the characters real, focus on the THEATRE and the THEATRICS and it would be a great hit. I hope it makes it because Imreallynhad a great time watching it, and seeing a lot of the life I live.

Comment by Tim – July 24, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show, and whether or not some of the characters were likable or the plot wasn’t the greatest, there isn’t any other show quite like it. The music and songs were wonderful, and anyone who appreciates music, Broadway, and the arts would tune in.

Comment by Amanda Davidson – July 24, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love, love, love Smash! But I sure missed seeing Anjelica Huston throw a drink in her husband’s face in every show like in the beginning. It became one of those things where you just looked for it to happen. Made me laugh every week for a few weeks. Wish it would have carried through the season. It was a great trademark!

Comment by C – July 24, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that everyone fails to remember that this show was originally made to be broadcast on HBO, or one of the premium channels. It’s script had to be cut back a little and they had to tune it down for network television. I loved the season and its pretty much true to broadway, just because your the best singer or the best actor doesn’t mean you fit that specific part. ivy’s character showed that to viewers. The actress struggling for fame on broadway. Its not an easy business. I can’t wait to see season two, not sure about the fallouts, but If the characters stay true and progress I’m down for it.

Comment by Tay – July 24, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Smashed – it was like going to a Broadway show every week. It was nice to look forward to watching TV again! Can’t wait for season 2.

Comment by C. Hoff – July 24, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Smash…. I agree is was like going to a broadway show and hanging with the cast!! Look forward to the next season!!

Comment by Carol – July 24, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am astounded by the constant unpleasant comments about Emory Cohen (Leo).He has done some lovely work on this show.He is one of the more believable characters and his breakdown scene with Debra Messing was genuinely moving.

Comment by DAVID WEBB – July 24, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree–thought he was very believable and I don’t understand why people dislike him so.

Comment by Leslie – July 24, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Smash. I agree the storyline was inconsistent but loved the musical numbers. Really looked forward to it each week. Also loved the choreography and the chorus

Comment by Mary – July 24, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellis was a stupid character offering nothing but sleezy coniving with no purpose. At Least Meg Hilty’s character conived with a purpose…not that I liked the character…just understood her. Her Marilyn performance was cheesy and more characature than character. She didn’t deserve the part and the Cartright character did. I saw what Derek saw in her. Now can we also get into more substantive story lines, please?

Comment by Kathy – July 24, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give more story to the talented actors who have been on broadway. They deserve the broader audience.

Comment by Laura – July 24, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are so lucky to have Megan Hilty in the cast! They are doing the right thing to hire more Broadway talent. That’s what makes Smash one of a kind. Keep up the good work, Smash!

Comment by SmashFan – July 24, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • -Meh- I want to know what’s NBC going to do with Saving Hope instead I prefer summer shows instead.

Comment by TivaNCIS – July 24, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch Smash without Ellis.

Comment by Dennis – July 24, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the first season of Smash. A show about a musical should feature the director, song writers, director, and cast. I liked having a bit of back story about the characters and understanding what brought them to the Marilyn musical. I liked seeing a show that featured four talented women. l felt that the fact that both Megan Hilty and Katherine McPhee have great voices made their conflict as competitors for the role believable. I was impressed at how the music mirrored the story line in each episode. I will miss Dev.

Comment by Linda Bauer – July 24, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never watched Gossip Girl (wrong demographic), so don’t know anything about Safran, but would like to see Smash a little more cohesive. Story lines were kind of all over the place in season 1. The only character I’d cut is Ellis because he just wasn’t developed enough — very one-dimensional. Still, I keep watching those episodes over and over again, mainly for the amazing music. The songs stick in my head for days at a time, and I catch myself doing subtle little desk-dances while I’m working. Keep ‘em coming, NBC!

Comment by DeeDee – July 24, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never been to Broadway,and I have only seen one professional play so for me the show was very enjoyable. As far as Megan and Katherine go I thought the fact that the trained, seasoned proformer ,verse untrained star struck girl next door was the under tone of the show. And they both played there parts very well because they run close to their real lives.
    Who do I think they could cut from the show..Frank,Leo,Dev.. The only complaint I have about the show is the time slot. I have to record it. Because Monday night is my house is Castle night and it will always come first.

Comment by julie – July 25, 2012 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the storyline of mega-talented performer who’s worked her way up and given her all to the show being tossed aside for a lesser-skilled newcomer, at the whim of a man who wants to get into her panties.

It’s gratifying to see prime-time television touch on issues like these that women face every day, and I hope Season Two will delve into it even more deeply. Let’s see Ivy set an example for the younger female TV audience who may not have encountered these situations yet in their own lives. Let’s see her stand up and fight, and win!

Comment by mamacoco – July 25, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • mamacoco, you give the show too much credit, IMO. Smash has to be the most sexist program on television today. If Ivy fought and won, she’d be the only woman on Smash to succeed without a man propping her up. Heaven forbid! Even BAMF Eileen needs White Knight Nick to rescue her.

I stopped watching out of disgust, but if the sexism originated with Rebeck, her departure might end it. I’ll give the new showrunner a chance but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Comment by Altalee – July 25, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved season 1, completly in love with jack davenport best person in it. can’t wait for season 2 to start. big thumbs up smash.

Comment by keeley nocilla – August 2, 2012 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the pilot episode of Smash on a flight and loved it so much I watched it three times. When I got back home, I watched the entire first season and loved it! Overall, it’s an interesting show, and the cast is wonderful. I think they did a superb job of casting, and I really love the core cast of the Bombshell-makers: Tom, Julia, Jack, and Eileen.

The show, however, did have its faults. Someone said it in another comment, but it was like the pilot promised us this strong, well-written plot but just didn’t deliver. The writing should have been a LOT tighter for this kind of show. For example, they dropped the adoption storyline in favor of the Michael Swift storyline with Michael being a repetitive and not even remorseful character, even though he was talented and made a great Joe DiMaggio (gah, that number in the workshop episode, he was FANTASTIC). I liked that Julia had that conflict, but she also gave in so easily and seemed fine with it and then turned around when Frank found out and just wanted her family back. Tom had pretty much no conflict until halfway through the season (should have been established earlier and come on, NBC, you couldn’t have followed through with the mysterious Tom/Jack conflict instead of making Tom’s relationship go sour?). Eileen’s storyline was good up until Nick. I like Nick but come on, the woman was finding independence from her domineering husband. Let her spread her wings a little and save the romance for season 2. Jack was brilliant, but not really a lot of conflict there either. He’s CLEARLY in love with Marilyn. That’s why whenever he sees the girls as Marilyn, he’s spellbound. It’s not Ivy or Karen or Rebecca Duvall that he wants, but Marilyn, so he goes after the girls who remind him of her. In the end, though, they’re not her and never will be. Karen’s and Ivy’s rivalry was established from episode 1, so we knew that was coming. I was hoping to see Karen fight a little more for her right to be there and Ivy not be so whiny about not getting her way. Ellis…I liked…that is, if had they done something WITH him, like a bigger plan instead of just making him this annoying thing that wants to be a producer and has no clue what he’s doing.

I love the concept of this show and the musical numbers are great and so catchy. I want to see the show! But it went by so fast from the idea’s conception to previews. After the workshop ended, we didn’t see the process like we did during the workshop. I am really hoping that season 2 is tighter. I don’t know about this new director (since I don’t watch Gossip Girl at all), but we’ll see how it goes. Directors can do things differently on different shows. I just hate having to wait until JANUARY, UGH. That’s one less show I’ll get to watch this fall.

Comment by Areea – August 3, 2012 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reviewing the first season beginning to end, those characters I had barely paid attention to, and plainly disliked, I discovered I had sympathy for. Both Ivy and Ellis are simply trying to make their way in a very competitive, cut-throat environment. I think this excuses all the dirty tricks Ivy pulls on Karen, right to seducing boyfriend Dev on the off-chance this might throw Karen off her game. Ivy has, no doubt, been the victim of many dirty tricks herself and feels justified in her choices. Ellis is an idiot, a Syndley Whiplash sort of character, yet he goes about attempting to get his way in a direct and ‘honest’ manner. He continually lurks in shadows, and that works for him. He is consistent about what he wants and how he intends to get it, but he is just a kid and inexperienced. Next time he’ll know better. Karen is too good to be true, too gullible, and would have deserved getting her dreams stomped on owing to naivete alone. As to the argument that in the real world Karen would never have gotten her chance over Ivy, I remind viewers that it was Derek who made the decision owing to a vision and not what he knew or understood to be true. He hallucinated Karen as Marilyn and that was why she got the part. I’m looking forward to Season Two though I don’t understand why the removal of so many minor characters was deemed necessary. If Ellis has to go, then it’s likely another character like his will make an appearance. Hopefully that character will be let to have some depth. Love the show!

Comment by john thorpe – August 3, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely amazing series:) don’t understand the negative comments about debra messing! Julia was my favourite character in the show and the relationship her and tom have in the programme is amazing. And fyi all the so called theatre experts all the drama that happened in the show does actually happen in all productions be it professional, amature or a school production! Every actor/actress and everyone backstage for that matter always have a story, there are always backstage drama’s and sometimes the star can be beaten by the underdog! Anyone that’s ever been in a show knows that! As for series 2 shame its a new producer as the story lines this season were fab with the exception of possibly being slightly over board with the whole rebecka thing. As for the characters none of them need cut but if they were going to make cuts they have chosen the right ones. If only we didn’t have as long of a wait to find out what comes next! Going to watch series one again in the meantime.

Comment by jordan – August 5, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved season 1 and I found myself loving both girls in different ways. I felt that Ivy was a little hard done by because some of the numbers sound great in her style of voice and others in Karen’s. Sad to see Frank/Leo gone, felt they’d only just really got back to a ‘normal’ kind of state in the whole Julia/Frank/Michael Swift situation. Loved Jack Davenport in it, I agree with Areea in this. I think he loved Marilyn more than anything :-) and he was a cutie over all even if sometimes he was a jerk (especially to Ivy :( ) Also sad to see Dev go although he was a little dull at times and everything and got a bit out of control towards the season finale. I kind of liked him and I liked how he realised how great Karen was (like how he watched her sing in the church and when he was in the audience and Karen was on stage) And kind of hoped they’d patch things up but I guess it wasn’t meant to be! :( Only one I’m truly happy to see go is Ellis not because of the actor I think he did a brill job at playing Ellis it’s just that I always felt like he became repetitive after a while always sneaking around and everything. Glad SMASH showed me great talent like Katherine Mcphee and Megan Hilty – wish I saw Megan as Galinda now she’s perfect! Love both the girls very much :)

Comment by Megan Scott – August 6, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say it but this all comes down to PAYROLL.. Whoever is paid the highest salary gets the most airtime.. The lower the pay grade the lower the air time they have.. Megan Hilty will never be the star of the show as long as she is paid lower than Kat McPhee.. Its just common sense.. Why would you pay someone this enormous amount of money and then not use them for what your paying them for..

Comment by Sean Patrick – August 6, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absurd… Truly sad to anticipate seeing this show turning average, run of the mill… What a tragedy! :(

Comment by TMN – August 6, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post