TV's Best Bad Boy? Men of Sherlock, White Collar, Supernatural and Veronica Mars Compete!

Round 3 of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament continues with a quartet of guys who take what one might call an unconventional route to getting the job done.

Today’s bouts include Supernatural‘s Dean Winchester against Sherlock‘s titular crime-solver, and White Collar‘s Neal Caffrey fighting Veronica Mars‘ Logan Echolls.

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 3 voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (94)

• Team Dean!

Comment by Lala – July 23, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hoooow on earth are logan and sherlock losing?

Comment by Michele Bernardes – July 23, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 23, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dean’s been to hell, tortured souls. Of course he’s winning. Charmed’s Cole is the only one who could top that.

I mean, yes, Sherlock is a better show, but this tournament isn’t about that.

Comment by Danielle – July 23, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, this tournament is about which guy is the hottest, if their character is likeable, and whether their show is popular or not. Let’s not pretend it’s anything else.

Comment by Juliet – July 23, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And the percentage of their fanbase that firmly believes online polls to be the true gold standard of quality programming that they are willing to neglect all other aspects of their lives (if they have any) to do nothing but vote as often as possible.

Comment by Alice – July 23, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You can’t vote more than once, I’ve checked, and it’s a good thing.

Comment by AnnClau – July 24, 2012 01:12 PM PDT
        • THIS!

Comment by Lilith – July 23, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sherlock is up against Dean Winchester. The Supernatural Fandom do there best to not let there boys lose.

Comment by Chelsea – July 23, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because online polls are driven by an obsessive “team” mentality rather than an honest evaluation of the merits of each contender? It’s like the Teen Choice Awards vs the Oscars- they are not judging based on the same criteria. Resign yourself to it, because it won’t change. In consolation, which of those men will be at the Emmy’s this year? That, my friend, is winning.

Comment by Dani – July 23, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You mean the same Emmys that nominated American Horror Show as a miniseries? Speaking of winning, did you notice that I did not put an apostrophe in the word Emmys just because it was plural?

Comment by AMR – July 24, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And that obsessive team is the Supernatural fans, right? That is the devotion of their fanbase. And being bitter about it is not going to help you! And watch out – you ‘ll be hearing about Jensen Ackles in particular for years to come and he will be winning awards when he leaves the small TV channel that his show is on!

Comment by Nic J A Winchester – July 26, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Neal Caffrey is just all sorts of awesome. And a bit of a bad boy too. He is a master con artist and thief after all.

Comment by Deena – July 24, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean LOST!!! :D And that would be because the other guys are better! I would think that’s pretty self explanatory. Nobody beats Dean anyway! And this is a one-vote-only poll so those complaining that SPN fans are devoted enough to vote multiple times, sorry but that one doesn’t stick this time!

Comment by Nic J A Winchester – July 26, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry Sherlock fans your boy is up against one of the two eventual finalists. It’ll come down to Dean vs Damon.

Comment by Temis – July 23, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can also see Dean vs Spike

Comment by AJ – July 23, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dean vs. Spike would be great (although Logan and Spike are my ideals), but the teen vote will insure a Dean vs. Damon. They have to vote for what they know and all they know is Damon.

Comment by Sarah – July 23, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think you might be right, but I really hope Spike still wins. Though I don’t know about Dean, I haven’t had time to check out Supernatural yet, but looks good.

Comment by AnnClau – July 24, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So hard to choose. I mean seriosuly, Sherlock & Dean against each other. I have to stick with my biggest fandom family. Dean it is. And then of course it is going to be Neal over Logan. Neal is the best bad/good guy out there. ^.^

Comment by Chelsea – July 23, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This round is brutal.

Comment by Sally – July 23, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, man, this is a really tough one.

Comment by Ace – July 23, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal vs Logan, This is a hard choice.

Comment by Tia – July 23, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team DEAN!!!! We supernatural fans never leave our boys alone!!!! <3

Comment by Samantha – July 23, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Neal’s been to prison, but Logan’s the clear choice here. I mean, when we last saw him, he took a baseball bat to a cop car so he could be put in a holding cell with the guy who tried to rape his ex-girlfriend. It’s a shame this is coming down to viewership. But I don’t know what I would do if I had to choose between him and Dean…

Comment by Tricia – July 23, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, it’s even better – when we last saw him, Logan was beating up the son of a Russian mobster to punish him for publicly humiliating Logan’s ex-girlfriend – and not giving a damn when the mobster’s son was threatening him that he’s a dead man.

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 23, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s a difference between a bad boy and a stupid thug…

Comment by Kelsey – July 24, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Dean ALWAYS.

Comment by Elle – July 23, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hard to get more tortured than Logan Echolls. He probably couldn’t handle winning this bracket anyhow.

Comment by KS – July 23, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal vs. Logan is ROUGH! Love them both!!!

Comment by EveatEden – July 23, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Sherlock but I couldn’t vote for him – he’s so unlikable. To me he’s not a bad boy, he’s a condescending know-it-all.

I had to vote Logan over Neal. I’ve watch White Collar since season one and Neal has lost a lot of his bad boy edge. Logan will probably lose to Neal because Matt Bomer is so popular now, by Logan will always be the misunderstood bad boy.

Comment by Tenney – July 23, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s all about Sherlock for me. Love him!

Comment by Jenny – July 23, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM NEAL!

Comment by dude – July 23, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean vs Sherlock?!?!?!?!

Neal vs Logan?!?!?!?!

AAAARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! How am I supposed to choose?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment by Livia – July 23, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal and Sherlock, no contest. How can Sherlock be losing? I mean, I get that there are a lot of Dean/”Supernatural” diehards out there, but Dean isn’t even the baddest boy on the show!

Comment by Ashley – July 23, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dean is definitely the baddest boy on the show. And the guy from Sherlock is I don’t know what he is. I watched it and didn’t care for it.

Comment by Sue – July 24, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Neal…although I struggled a bit with Neal v. Logan. Loved Logan on VM, but have to give the edge to Neal.

Comment by Amy – July 23, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course Dean is winning.. people tend to like a show more when it’s been on since forever.. I’m team Sherlock, of course. Mr. Cumberbatch adds depth to an intentionally unlikable character.

Comment by Adwina Oltariani (@Cassie4more) – July 23, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Favorite bad boy: still Brian Kinney.

Comment by verybookish – July 23, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree

Comment by aimless – July 23, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. His loss to Ben was unforgivable.

Comment by Abby – July 23, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal and Sherlock!

Comment by maggie – July 23, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deanis winning because Supernatural fans are 12 year olds vote in polls all day – LOL

Comment by Jenn – July 23, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except I’m 43 years old and I have more important things to do all day, like care for my elderly parents. I’m already working, just have a bit right now while I wait on the laundry. Yes, I voted for Dean, because he’s been to Hell and back – literally – and he’s seen and done things that are pretty darn unspeakable. Sherlock just likes to make sure everyone knows he’s smarter than they are.

Comment by Rowena DeVandal – July 24, 2012 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen. I’m 41, have two jobs, two kids, foster pets, and a host of other issues, and I came to vote… can’t do the all day thing. However, while I’m here, I’ll vote for Dean because he’s the ultimate bad boy – tough exterior with a compassionate, courageous heart. Plus he drives the best car and likes Metallica. You can’t go wrong with that.

Comment by AMR – July 24, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One vot per IP address. I doubt alot of 12 year olds would be able to find a way around that. Don’t hate. It’s not nice.

Comment by Sunset – July 24, 2012 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am 38 years old and I vote for Dina. The show has won a victory at the Teen Choice Awards, because long ago addresses adult issues. Dean not only preys on the demons, but defeats the demons inside himself, constantly evolving, proves that people above all supernatural creatures that only love can save the world. The character is played. And to talk about their favorites, well, not necessarily vilify others it’s embarrassing!

Comment by Elena – July 24, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m 38 thank you – and this is a one-vote-only poll! Honestly, such bitter losers here!!

Comment by Nic J A Winchester – July 26, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Neal FTW! Bad boys don’t need to be violent like Logan, they can be smart bad boys and Neal is the smartest character by far. And Bomer is the hot, hot, hottest so that helps!!

Comment by rta – July 23, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and LOGAN!

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 23, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I voted for Dean, I wasn’t expecting him to be ahead!!
    And GO NEAL!!!!

Comment by darcywilson – July 23, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal’s great and all, but Logan really is more of a bad boy. Neal’s too much of a man to embody bad boy recklessness.

Comment by laylagalise – July 23, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how is Logan NOT winning??!!

Comment by noa – July 23, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COME ON LOGAN!!!

Comment by Andie – July 23, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Dean all the way.

Comment by Artemis – July 23, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, Neal over Logan? This is absurd.

Comment by murley – July 23, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Neal hot lord talk about heaven. They are my top two favs.

Comment by Isabelle – July 23, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Logan was the clear choice. Love White Collar, but Logan…no contest.

Comment by MAS – July 23, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! How is he losing?! LOGAN TO THE VERY END, PLEASE!

Comment by Michelle – July 23, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can see from the brackets they’re trying to get a final of Dean vs. Damon. They wouldn’t have put all the other awesome characters against Dean otherwise (Mal, Captain Jack). Though Sylar better beat that vampire dude if they come down to it…

Comment by Krista – July 23, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry — meant to include Sherlock in that “awesome characters” list too :)

Comment by Krista – July 23, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that’s the case, why do I even bother.

Comment by Emily – July 23, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM LOGAN & SHERLOCK!
    Harbouring all the resentment for his father because of all the beatings and torture that he put him through Logan channels this and beats those who offend him to a bloody pulp. The show was only on for 3 seasons and it would make me cringe the way he would beat those guys.
    You don’t have to worry about Sherlock he probably knows ways to disable his opponent that you wouldn’t believe!
    The voting is going to be swayed by the audience of course. I’ve watched all of these shows. Some voters maybe a couple.

Comment by Aurora – July 23, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Sherlock!!!

Comment by Sarah – July 23, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean was easy choice, but I had a harder time choosing between Logan and Neil. Ultimately they are both good boys, but each has done some pretty bad things. Hmmm.

Comment by Melody Paris – July 23, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evil is making me choose between Sherlock and Dean.

-feels heart being ripped in two-

Comment by Kassie – July 23, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal vs. Logan = hardest choice in the tournament for me by FAR! I love me some Matt Bomer but ultimately had to go with Logan!

Comment by EC – July 23, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES that Dean is winning but how can Logan be losing?!

Comment by A – July 23, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Neal all the way!

Comment by sarah – July 23, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Dean and Logan.

Comment by AT – July 23, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Logan FTW!

Comment by Kira – July 23, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean Winchester all the way! I do find it funny though, that Dean is technically a bad boy even though he was always the GOOD son. Sam was the rebel where their father was concerned. Kudos to Supernatural for not having one-dimensional characters.

Comment by Ella – July 23, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan will always be my quintessential bad boy! Oh VM how I miss you!!

Comment by PhantomPhlyer – July 23, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean, of course

Comment by Kate – July 23, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t get any badder than torturing human souls in hell (though I understand why he did it). Who knows what’ll happen in Purgatory. Dean Winchester all the f*cking way!

Oh, Logan, HOW are you losing?

Comment by Sunset – July 24, 2012 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 38 years old and I vote for Dean, I watched Sherlok. While you were watching Supernatural? I think not. Otherwise you would know that the show is not focused on adolescents, evidence that losing streak at the Teen Choice Awards, the teens ignored the show and the cast. The show tackles sliškov adult problems. Dean only preys on the demons, but destroys them inside himself, he decides to not only the global problems of world scale, but is growing as a person, as a person. Dean argues that if a person was able to remain a human, then such a person above all supernatural creatures. Jensen Ackles is the underrated actor on TV, because he created for the Oscars!

Comment by Elena – July 24, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes exactly. I know a lot of Supernatural fans who have watched Sherlock, have a lot of Sherlock fans watched Supernatural and more than once? If not, they have no right to judge that Dean Winchester somehow isn’t worthy of the vote.Which isn’t to say they have no right to vote for Sherlock as the character they know and love, but it’s pretty rich to criticize those voting Dean if they’ve barely seen him. Ackles is an excellent actor who has managed to imbue his leading character with a lot of complexity and subtext over nearly 150 episodes. Love Sherlock and think Cumberbatch has been amazing, and he’s been great in other roles too, but lots of characters can be “great” if the character only appears 3 times a year. :)

Comment by Ema – July 25, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean Winchester <3 all the way;)

Comment by dana hutto-vallejo – July 24, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of couse TEAM DEAN and TEAM NEAL !! =)

Comment by hannah – July 24, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post