Teen Choice Awards 2012: Best & Worst Moments

demi lovato kevin mchale teen choiceSunday night’s Teen Choice Awards telecast was peppered with reminders that its gigantic surfboard trophies are only worth so much. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart tossed their prizes back into the audience — a sweet gesture to the Twi-Hard Nation and a convenient remedy for having to try to fit the unweildy gifts into a limo. (Thankfully, no teen girls were bludgeoned unconscious in the ensuing scrum.) A not-as-funny-as-it-should’ve-been video showed the members of One Direction trying to reassemble a sawed-up trophy that had been delivered to them back in jolly old England. And, in a fantastically weird moment, Cat Deeley’s unreliable microphone seemed to give out as she announced that Jersey Shore‘s DJ Pauly D was taking home a Teen Choice for…something? (My guess: the “We’ve Got a Trophy Surplus, So Start Handing These Things Out Already!” consolation prize.)

Anyhow, before Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift sell their collective surfboard statuettes on eBay and surpass the gross national product of Luxembourg, let’s count down the telecast’s three best and three worst moments:

BEST MOMENTS
3) Zooey Deschanel scores with clueless podium banter | I couldn’t tell whether co-presenter Selena Gomez was in on the joke, but on an evening of particularly insipid teleprompter readings, New Girl star Deschanel scored some real laughs with a bit about speaking in text-language. It may not have been LMFAO, but it was certainly certainly LOL.

2) Jonah Hill insults a living legend in his acceptance speech | Picking up the Choice Movie Comedy prize for 21 Jump Street, Hill noted how he’d lost the Oscar race for Best Supporting Actor this year to 82-year-old Christopher Plummer. “He’s not nominated for anything tonight, so I’m better,” teased Hill, before expressing some heartfelt wonder that a script he’d conceived had actually been produced, then enjoyed by a wide audience.

1) Taylor Swift busts a move | Flo Rida’s performance of “Wild One” was perfectly fine, but received a major upgrade when the cameras caught the country superstar shimmying in front of her seat, mouthing every word of the bouncy club jam.

WORST MOMENTS
3) Ian Somerhalder gets harrassed | Yeah, yeah, the Vampire Diaries star was picking up a trophy for Choice Hottie, but that doesn’t mean he should’ve had to endure audience members screaming for him to perform a strip show. “They would get mad at me if I took off my shirt,” Somerhalder remarked, dodging the ridiculous bullet with his typical charm.

2) Name flubs abound | Whether it was host Kevin McHale introducing Happy Endings‘ Zachary Knighton as Zachary Kingston, a chyron misspelling Kristen Stewart’s name as Kristin, or Selena Gomez seemingly struggling to remember the names of all her band members while accepting Choice Music Group (“My band, Joey, Dane, and everybody, thank you so much,” she said, failing to include the names of her lead guitarist and drummer), a lot of folks didn’t get the respect to which they were entitled.

1) Hosts Demi Lovato and Kevin McHale deliver heaping portions of awkward | Lovato and McHale kept making references to knowing each other growing up in Texas, but exhibited all the chemistry of a banana peel and a garbage disposal. One painful bit — an extended ad for Lovato’s upcoming X Factor judging gig — focused on the songbird cajoling McHale into “auditioning” for her. By the time he finally sang and she declared he “has the X factor,” the audience could only muster up tepid applause. Several subsequent jokes lay unconscious on the stage for seconds at a time before the audience briefly resuscitated them with polite laughter.

Below this photo of Pauly D “at work,” a rundown of the winners announced during the show…

Choice Comedian: Ellen DeGeneres
Choice Movie Drama: The Lucky One
Choice Male Hottie: Ian Somerhalder
Choice Female Hottie: Miley Cyrus
Choice Music Group: Selena Gomez & The Scene
Choice TV Actor, Action: Adam Rodriguez, CSI: Miami
Choice Movie Comedy: 21 Jump Street
Choice Breakup Song: Maroon 5’s “Payphone”
Choice Female Movie Star of Summer: Kristen Stewart, Snow White and the Huntsman
Choice Movie of the Summer, Music or Comedy: Katy Perry: Part of Me
Choice Actor in a TV Comedy: Chris Colfer, Glee
Acuvue Inspire Award: Miranda Cosgrove
Choice Summer TV Star, Male: Tyler Posey, Teen Wolf
Choice TV Actress, Comedy: Lea Michele, Glee
Choice Female Artist: Taylor Swift
Choice Female Country Artist: Taylor Swift
Choice Single by a Female Artist: Taylor Swift’s “Eyes Open”
Choice Country Song: Taylor Swift’s “Sparks Fly”
Choice Movie Voice: Taylor Swift, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
Choice Male Artist: Justin Bieber
Choice Male Fashion Icon: Justin Bieber
Choice Male Music Star of Summer: Justin Bieber
Choice Single by a Male Artist: Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend”
Choice Actor in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film: Josh Hutcherson, The Hunger Games
Choice Lip Lock: Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson, The Hunger Games
Choice Book: The Hunger Games
Choice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film: The Hunger Games
Choice Summer Music Star Group: One Direction
Choice Music Breakout Group: One Direction
Choice Love Song: One Direction’s “What Makes You Beautiful”
Choice Actress in an Action Movie: Zoe Saldana, Columbiana
Choice Actor in an Action Movie: Taylor Lautner, Abduction
Choice Summer Movie Star, Male: Chris Hemsworth, Snow White and the Huntsman/The Avengers
Choice TV Comedy: Glee
Choice [Something Cat Deeley Mumbled]: Pauly D
Choice Twit [Meant as a Positive, Pertaining to Twitter]: Demi Lovato
Choice Female Music Star of Summer: Demi Lovato
Choice Breakout Artist: Carly Rae Jepsen

What did you think of Teen Choice 2012? Shocked to see Abducted and Columbiana become award-winning films? Sound off below!

1. me says:

Choice Male Fashion Icon: Justin Bieber

Who copies his fashion/style?

2. After listening to the performances on last nights show They really should allow lip syncing like they did for Justine because it was just awful

3. Sims says:

How come you guys left off Teen Wolf winning Choice Summer TV Show??

4. I always walk away from watching the show remembering how much I dislike today’s teens.

• Angela says:

Yes, because only today’s teenagers like silly things, right? No other generation has ever had its teen fads and things that adults question the appeal of, apparently.
      None of these things are to my liking, either, but I remember what I liked when I was a teenager, so who exactly am I to judge?

5. fringe, anna torv and joshua jackson deserved to win

• Emily says:

It’s the Teen Choice Awards… I think we should be glad that they didn’t.

• Lauren says:

Do the people from Fringe even go to the Teen Choice Awards? I’m kind of surprised they’re even nominated, not to disparage the taste of teenagers or anything. I think the list of winners does that for me though.

6. Sara says:

Kevin McHale sucks.

7. Sarah says:

When you Kristen Stewart wins best actress, you know there’s something wrong. She doesn’t act as much as she does stare in every scene.

8. kam says:

If the “best” moments were Zooey Deshanel, Jonah Hill and Taylor Swift, the show must have REALLY sucked. Should have had just Kevin do it. Demi needs to go to rehab.

• Amy says:

IKR? Zooey Deschanel was the worst part of the night….I am sick to death of the fawning over this ridiculous awkward, ditzy, unfunny personna she has honed to an art….will the real Zooey please stand up?

• Cameron says:

YES! Zooey in her early years interviews, tv appearances did not act like a silly teenager, NO offence to teens. She was somewhat boring, quiet and uninteresting. Now? She is just like a series of personality ticks and quirks and not a real personality.

• Sha says:

zooey is sooo overrated! I can’t believe people don’t realize that her whole persona is an act

9. Isistelle says:

Choice male fashion icon? I’m sorry but Chris Colfer was meant to get it!!

10. Elizabeth says:

My new goal in life is to be nominated for Choice Something Cat Deeley Mumbled. I can’t sing, act or dance, but then again neither can Pauly D, so I’m a shoo-in!

Also, how the title of this article isn’t “Linda Hunt Wins Second Consecutive Teen Choice Award” is beyond me. That’s journalistic GOLD right there! ;)

11. Jenny says:

@Sarah If you have seen Snow White (or any other movie she’s done beside twilight) you’d know that’s not true at all. Is she the greatest actress that ever lived? No not necessarily but she’s definitely no where near as bad as a lot of people make her out to be (often without having seen any of her other movies or even the twilight movies themselves).

Anyway this show was one giant fail. I’m sorry but how anticlimactic were all the announcements? Especially all the Oh BTW *name* and *name* and *name* won this, just so you know. People are always going to disagree over the winners that’s a given (most of the winners left me with a big giant WTF) but that’s ok variety is the spice of life.

12. nick1372 says:

Pretty much the only ones I agree with are the wins for The Hunger Games. (awesome movie)
    I’m not as offended by this as most awards (cause it’s Teen Choice ), but seriously?? Glee, The Vampire Diaries, and Pretty Little Liars did not deserve so many awards. Neither did Breaking Dawn pt.1 or Snow White & the Huntsman

13. nick1372 says:

Where’s Choice TV Show, Action ?

14. jake says:

I think the point is Kristen Stewart can only win a TCA, you don’t see her winning an oscar. She is pathetic and the only reason she is anything is because the tweens don’t have a clue and think she is wonderful. In reality, she couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag. IMO Charlize Theron is the only reason to watch Snow White and the Huntsman..

• dom says:

such a loser you are.. And no, Kristen doesn’t only win popularity awards. She wins fashion and critics awards, like the bafta? I’m sure you know what that is..idiot.

• Tina says:

She can’t act and I agree with everthing jake said

• Gang says:

The best part of this dumb reply is that you all know this jealous hag would kill to be Kristen Stewart for just 10 minutes. She OWNS hags like this one. Too funny!!!

• gillian says:

My god, thinking an actress is bad at her job is not a personal insult is just an opinion and a very justifiable one at that since she really isn’t the best actress ever. Replying with stuff like “she’s so much better than you” and “you’re just jealous” makes you sound like a 12 year old (which you probably are).

• Zoey says:

I have better acting skills then she dose. In the last movie I seen her in snow white she did the samething she did in the twilight flims pretty much stared off in space. And what I can remember for the twlight books Bella did not do that

• we says:

Well, she won the rising star BAFTA which is voted on by the public.

• Sara says:

The BAFTA that Kristen Stewart one is much like the Teen Choice Awards and MTV awards that she wins in the USA. It was voted on by the public, NOT the critics. So yes, she simply won another popularity award.

• Florence says:

you’re right, you’re so right.

• Tiffany says:

I agree with Jake and I am a Twilight fan. Just take a moment and watch a few different Kristen scenes from anything she has done, they are all the same character. She has not the acting ability to give her characters any depth at all they are all one dimension. I feel like I was watching the same character in Snow White as I had in Twilight. Plus does the girl own a brush? That hair is horrid.

• p says:

LMAO!! some of you are so f@cking hilarious ….. i don’t get the hate for Stewart or the whole Twilight movies but what a lot of you don’t get is this woman has been making movies before some of you were even born .. She’s only 22 but has achieve a lot more than most of you all put together and became richer in her career , like she keep saying she will always be grateful to Twilight because it made it possible for her to make the movies she has a passion for which are mainly independent and interesting projects. A lot of these comments are posted mainly by a bunch of Shallow , mindless morons and the only way to get attention and to interact with anything is to go online and spew hatred under anonymous monikers because they are all cowards and they know there is no consequences to their actions … I would love it for them to actually say all of these dumb comments in their faces , not that they would care they have a career they love getting a great pay for the jobs they do and what do most of you have ??? not much since your lives revolves around silly articles on even sillier gossip sites…..And about the oscar thing …LOL.. another ridiculous comment do you have any idea how many great actors are still working putting out great films without ever winning a so called COVETED OSCAR …I could list them all but why bother because obviously some of you are actual moviegoers but just silly gossipmongers and what that word they use on the internet …. oh yeah .. trolls !!!! Gossip site always good for a laugh !!!!

• Christina says:

Um I think you are calling the kettle black a little “P” most of the comments were short one or two liners. You wrote a whole book…maybe you are the one whom should quit trolling…OH is that your mom I hear calling you?

• Emily says:

I feel sorry for Kristen. It’s got to be tough having people believe she either walks on water or is the scum of the earth, and that these are the only two opinions that could possibly exist in the world.

15. Oki says:

They really should rename the show Teen Girls Choice Awards.

16. Mick says:

How about the opening where they introduced the entire TVD but Nina Dobrev cause its not like she is the lead of the show

17. lana says:

when is Demi Lovato going away? she’s the worst.

18. Zoe Saldana’s movie is spelled Colombiana not ColUmbiana.

19. Annie says:

Good lord, it’s embarrassing that people in the audience treat Ian like a piece of meat. He’s so much more than a pretty face, he doesn’t deserve being turned into an object like so many actors are. I’m glad that TVD won, they more than deserve it, but honestly, TVD AND its cast are better than the absurd and laughable TCA’s.

• andy says:

not really…TVD is a show that’s practically custom made for the TCA’s.

• Annie says:

But its actors deserve recognition beyond TCA, in my opinion. TCA voters will vote for the prettiest face, and not actually consider or give creedence to some fine acting that they’ve done.

• lilz says:

actually Annie, the TCAs are the one place the TVD cast gets to shine. That type of show isn’t going to be taken seriously anywhere else.

20. dude says:

I didn’t bother watching this year but its really sad what the TCAs have become. At one point they were a fun summer award show filled with hot, young stars and great performances. Now, they’re so effortlessly slapped together it’s become painfully obvious the producers don’t even care about the show.

21. Colleen says:

Linda Hunt is also missing from the winner list. Her second Teen Choice Award pretty much makes this the best award show ever.

22. Sara says:

Why does it seem like that list has the same award repeated several times with different winners? Also, I don’t know if Selena Gomez should be considered as part of a band if she apparently doesn’t know what her band members’ names are. I mean, she is basically just a solo act with a back-up band, right?

23. Becca says:

This show is horrible!! The only people who vote for this are teen girls who know nothing about good movies or music or shows.

24. Velvet says:

I love Zooey Deschanel.

• Florence says:

me too, I wish she’d just kept being an “indie” sort of star though, I’m not being an annoying hipster I swear, is just that now that she’s in the mainstream there are quite a few people who don’t get her appeal…

25. Velvet says:

Demi Lovato was the worst dressed.

26. Ayana says:

They also called Ashley Benson Ashley Brown.

27. GeneralRapunzel says:

Question. How is insulting people a best moment, and what did Christopher Plummer ever do to Jonah Hill? How did we get to such depths as a society that insulting people who’ve done nothing to you is a best moment? Just curious.

• Emily says:

I didn’t watch the telecast, but I think it was a joke. I doubt that Jonah Hill was actually angry that Christopher Plummer won his first Oscar at the age of 82 over him. And I think Christopher Plummer would have the sense of humor to take it in stride, so indignation on his behalf is probably not necessary.

28. Don Summer says:

I’m gonna discuss a few points. I’m a teen, and I do think the TCA’s are sh*tty, but we teens like sh*t. I’m not into all sh*t though. I love The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars, and I know they are not excactly GREAT shows like Mad Men or Downton Abbey or Breaking Bad or Girls (which I also love, and shut up already Girls is great, and yes I’m a teen and I watch Girls DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM? ok). But this is TEEN CHOICE. And I really like the Tca’ss because they are always fun. On another note, this years tca’s SUCKED SO BAD. SO BAD.

Anyway I agree with almost all awards, well not really, I never REALLY agree with the awards given in this show (I only REALLY agreed with Emma Stone winning in her categories). But the following are the ones that I really disagreed on:
    -Taylor Lautner and Zoe Saldana for Choice Action Stars (They were the worst in their respective categories, seriously.)
    -Justin Bieber Male Fashion Icon. SERIOUSLY? Nothing against the guy, though I don’t like his music I think he’s a good guy. But he’s NOT a fashion icon, he dresses horribly. But obviously his obnoxious fans voted hard.

And I’ve seen other movies with Kristen Stewart aside from Twilight and Snow White (The Yellow Handkerchief and The Runaways) and she is a GOOD actress, if not great. Obviously she SUCKS HARD on Twilight. In Snow White she was better than Twilight, but it was bad too.

29. A says:

Worst and most boring hosting. They weren’t even funny and their bits went on way too long.

30. Amanda says:

Should be called the Tween girl awards…or the Teen Sh8T Awards..TVD worse show on tv…since when do vampires get all emo?…oh wait we have Twilight to thank for that…Nina Dobrev needs a baked potato and a steak. Demi Lovato? Please she wishes she could sing. Choice Male Hottie: Ian Somerhalder PUCK!!! Maybe if his didn’t look like he sprayed it with WD-40!.

• sg54 says:

I agree with most of this and I am a teenager, but Demi Lovato can SING, no matter how badly she sucks as a tv personality. look it up.

31. smh says:

So glad i recorded and skip most of this crap, the only part worth watching for me was Shane West and after that I quit. I still wonder how can an old lady win action star over Maggie Q who does her own stunts, Lyndsy Fonseca and even the chick from Chuck. Im so glad I didn’t waste a single minute voting for this crap. Shane West won best male action star last year and didn’t even get his surf board.

32. Camilla says:

That list represents many of the reasons why I hate my generation. TVD and PLL are not ‘great’ shows, sure they are entretaining but the writing is not that good and they’re becoming more and more predictable, but again this a popularity contest for teen girls.

33. lilz says:

can I just bring attention to how miserable Zachary Levi looked when he was presenting that award to the Twilight series? Even he knew it was a load of crap.

34. Mary says:

These awards are held every year, so why is it that movies that have been out a couple of years were nominated, like Snow White and the Huntsman?