Exclusive

How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Look Who'll Be Romancing Robin in Season 8!

It’s tough to shake a crush, and it looks like How I Met Your Mother’s Robin isn’t quite over hers yet.

Battlestar Galactica alum Michael Trucco will reprise his role as the guy who catches Robin’s eye in a multi-episode arc on the CBS sitcom this fall, sources tell TVLine exclusively. Trucco first appeared on the show two seasons ago, as an object of her affections known only as “Crush.”

RELATED | 6 Spoilers on How I Met Your Mother‘s New Season

Though the show wanted Trucco for more episodes in Season 6, his involvement with USA Network’s Fairly Legal (on which he plays Justin) made that impossible at the time. HIMYM definitely has him for a chunk of the upcoming Season 8, which is sure to raise questions about the fate of Fairly Legal.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Last season’s HIMYM finale revealed that Barney and Robin will become man and wife in the future, but there’s lots of time for other romantic diversions in the interim. Our bet is that Trucco will be the significant romance that executive producer Craig Thomas previewed to TVLine in May. “We’re going to introduce a new love interest for Robin right away,” he said. “It’s not going to be Barney and Robin together immediately, because they’re too tangled up in other things… We’ll show you how that [new] relationship ends up leading her back to Barney.”

1. I love Michael Trucco!! and I’m really curious of how Robin is back with Barney… and how Barney break things up with Quinn. Robin has chemistry with everyone, so I think it would be interesting either way..

2. Mikaylah says:

I love Michael Trucco, and since we saw Barney and Robin are in fact going to get married, I am all for this casting news!

3. After trying so desperately to have him replace by Kal Penn….. congrats HIMYM, you’ll finally get what you had wanted. Now let’s just hope that it’s not just a little too late.

4. lariet50 says:

Woo hoo! I was hoping! I love him – even after “Meteor Storm.” Heh.

5. Phil says:

Well, at least Barman and Robin are together! They’re meant to be!

6. jane says:

This it the flaw with this show. We know the show is going to last for a few more seasons so we know that the girl that Ted is currently with is not going to be the mother. We know that Barney and Robin are going to end up together so when they put them with other people it’s frustrating to watch. With great shows the character development occurs throughout a season in a subtle way whereas HIMYM has specific episodes where the character (usually Ted) openly muses about how a specific relationship has changed him and this specific episode is usually surrounded by episodes that feel trivial and are only for fun, which would be okay if it was a show about nothing (like Seinfeld) and not one where the whole premise is to see where the character ends up on his quest to meet the mother. It is the ultimate end game relationship and yet it’s hard to care when it has been drug out so much with no reward.

• jane says:

is not it. Can’t learn without correcting your mistakes.

• gm465271 says:

Spot on commentary! This is exactly my problem with the show. I saw the title of this article yesterday (“Look Who Will be Romancing Robin”) and had NO desire to open it until today because I know that Robin’s new relationship isn’t going to last. ::sigh:: Don’t get me wrong…I still enjoy the show, but I am ready for them to start wrapping things up. I would be happy with this upcoming season being the last.

• rachelleet says:

I think that part of the fun is that we know Ted meets his wife at Barney’s wedding (someone correct me if I am wrong…but I swore I heard this somewhere). So, we know that Robin and Barney end up together at the end of next season, and therefore Ted will “meet” his wife at that point. I don’t think that knowing how it ends is going to ruin the fun of getting there…(although I might be alone on this)

• Jackie says:

You are not alone

• HelloItsMe says:

that is how the entire show has been ‘shown’….it has constant flashbacks/forwards and that is what makes it fun. They told us robin wasn’t the mother in the first episode, yet their relationship carried on for seasons!

• Njkjess says:

I know the theme of the show is how Ted met the mother, but why can’t the reward be the laughs and entertainment you get from the show? I really don’t understand why people think there is no value to the show just because we don’t know what the end will look like. Do you read the end of a book first then complain that there are plot and character developments through the rest of the story?

• Katie says:

Yeah, well even though B/R was obvious to us, we weren’t really sure if the writers were going that way, Sometimes it is frustrating watching them with other people but not because we know they even up together, it is because, at least to me, this relationship feels real, the chemistry is so obvious and Cobie and Neil’s acting is flawless, especially if you go back and watch random episodes they are always giving each othe looks and laughing, sharing smiles. To me, the big flaw in the show is that we are never actually getting to ~know the mother. And the fact that we now know for sure B/R get married just adds to the continuity of the show, which is its finest point, if you ask me.

7. Jenn says:

I know we saw their wedding, but I don’t think they’ll go through with it, or they’re going to get a divorce soon after……..why else would they make a point of hiding his left hand (and his wedding ring or lack of wedding ring) in the flash forward during “Trilogy Time”? We all knew the wedding was coming, so why would it be a big deal to show his ring 1 year later? Seems fishy to me…..

• Jenn says:

*3 years later, not 1 year

• Elf says:

Bays has said they’ll go through with it. How long it lasts is another story, I guess.

• amber says:

think about it, Ted said he met their mother at a “wedding that went horribly wrong”……….

• Yannikins says:

He said it was a story about a wedding that went terribly wrong. I’m pretty sure he was talking about Victoria’s since it was her wedding in that episode.

• DT says:

Dude, did you SEE the episode with Marshall and Lily’s wedding? You can’t tell me that wedding didn’t go horribly wrong, and yet here they are in season 7, still incredibly happy together. So just because the wedding goes wrong doesn’t mean the marriage won’t happen!

• Lily says:

The producers of the show have repeatedly stated that they will go through with it (although there will be a lot of problems during the wedding day, but they will go through with it). Ted says many things that sound bad but actually not that bad. Just like how he said Punchy’s wedding was ruined and was the worst wedding ever. It turned out to be not that bad. Yes, it was ruined a little bit, but it was just a fight between parents. It’s pretty common in weddings. And they did get married in the end.

They made him hide the ring just to get people curious. There’s no way they will give Barney and Robin a divorce. It would just ruin the show. These people are supposed to be in each other’s life forever. And the show will most likely end shortly after their wedding, so there won’t be much time for them to bring a divorce the picture either. Plus it’s a comedy; it’s most likely gonna have a happy ending.

8. shiran says:

I knew he will come back! :D

9. Brooke says:

I’m so glad they’re getting to pick up that plot point, but I’m really, really hoping this doesn’t mean anything negative about Fairly Legal’s third season. I adore that show.

• Dawn G. says:

I am in the minority, but I love love love Kate and Ben… so I really really hope it comes back. I LOVE that show. (I love HIMYM, too, so the more the merrier!)

10. Jake says:

Huh, are we seriously gonna go back to flashbacks to lead up to their wedding. Stop making robin one of the most annoying characters!

11. moobear says:

I’m still don’t get the whole Robin/Barney thing. We know Robin is never a mother, but Barney has mentioned his desire to have kids, it seemed to me that Quinn was the better choice, but the show decided to go with the shippers.

• Lindsey says:

I agree. I’ve never been a Barney/Robin fan.

• sherri says:

Ditto, I think it would be ideal if Don moved back from Chicago and he and Robin finally end up together. Remember when Marshall kept saying to her,”you are sooo going to marry Don.” He is the only guy that suits her. She loved him enough to not take the job in Chicago, it was the first time she put her love life before her career. Robin made Don want to be a better man. The episode called the “Rough Patch” make us see that Robin and Barney’s “awesomeness” cancels each other out and they turn into bad versions of themselves. Why would it be different now?

• Lily says:

If you really follow the show and understand it, Barney’s idea of having kids is just a “rebound” from Robin’s rejection. The episode that shows that Barney wants kids is called “The Rebound Girl” right after the episode where Robin rejected him. And it’s a hint as to how he will handle the rejection in the coming episodes. That’s why we are being showed how desperately he wants to settle with someone–anyone, and Quinn just happens to be in the picture. If you pay attention you should have noticed the way he talks about Quinn to other people, he always refers to her as “this Quinn girl” as though she’s some stranger (note that he refers to Nora as Nora because his relationship with her was based on something real). He never genuinely loves Quinn, he just loves the idea of loving someone. He even describes what Quinn does as “near prostitution or actual prostitution.” I don’t see how this shows them a good match. He clearly has no respect for her and pretty much treats her like an object (has her get rid of all her stuff, has her repeat his stormtrooper sex fantasy with Robin, and makes her quit her job).

In “The Rebound Girl” and the episode after “Symphony of Illumination,” it also shows that in the end he’s not ready to be a dad. Whether he will want kids for real in the long term is a different story. But as for now, it’s clear that having kids to him is a just rebound. The same with Robin, they also leave it open to whether or not she will want kids in the future (she was very upset to learn that she will never have kids, that alone should say something). All we know is that she doesn’t want kids NOW. And narrator Ted only said that she never becomes “a poll vaulter,” he never exactly said “a mother” although we know that Robin used the term “poll vaulter” to describe the ability to have kids. Perhaps, when narrator Ted really used the term poll vaulter, he really meant poll vaulter or just simply the fact that Robin was never a biological mother of a child (leaving adoption as a possibility, remember Robin used poll vaulter to describe the ability to have kids, not a direct metaphor for “mother”).

• Callum says:

How can they let Robin and Barney get married. the writes are breaking their own established time line. In the kids episode where Robin dates the guy with the kid in Lilly’s class (Season 2) they show Robin alone in the drawning of Ted’s kids

• Lily says:

The drawing was labeled as “us and Aunt Robin at the zoo” with the kids and Robin, probably referring to a time when Robin takes the kids to the zoo. If based on that drawing you assume that Robin will be alone, then it’s like assuming that Ted and his wife will be dead or abandon their kids because they are not in the drawing with them. Just because there are only 3 of them in the drawing doesn’t mean there are no other people in their lives.

12. SJ says:

So, let’s see, for next season we have Robin and this guy, Barney and Quinn and Ted and Victoria – and we KNOW that these relationships aren’t going anywhere and are gonna end eventually. I mean, I do love this show, but I have to ask – what’s the point in watching now that the writers have painted themselves into a corner?

• Hannah says:

Bays or Thomas (can’t remember which) did say in an interview that they like painting themselves and their writers into a corner they need to fight their way out of, because it keeps the show on track. I just hope that they do it well. As a fan of HIMYM since the moment I first watched it I hope that they can revive the quality of the first season and several subsequent episodes in various seasons and give us a season to remember. As much as I love this show, I think it is time to wrap it up. I think that moment came when they started resorting to fart jokes. Never been a fan.

13. SBH12 says:

I’m just happy that we get to see Robin with Crush Guy and hopefully he’s better than Kevin although I know it will never work out since she goes back to Barney. I liked Crush Guy so I hope we get more insight into the character and his relationship with Robin

14. KSM says:

Maybe Crush guy will come in and break up the wedding between Barney and Robin. I am in the minority, but I would be all for it :)

15. lara says:

SO glad; I was worried they wouldn’t be able to get him, and all continuity would be lost (Ted says “that’s not the end of that story…”. Should be a good season!

16. Ella says:

I would rather Robin ends up with Trucco and Barney with Quinn. I used to LOVE Barney and Robin together but that ship sailed and subsequently sunk seasons ago. LOVE Barney and Quinn and was very disappointed by last season’s finale. Either way, thrilled to see Michael Trucco back, Fairly Legal has treated him really badly this season.

17. Yes! I adore Michael Trucco, but just can’t get into Fairly Legal, so I am happy he’s back on HIMYM.

18. rst says:

Only way i m going to watch this doomed relationship is if ROBIN very suffer miserably in it ,that could give me some closure from season seven.
    I m tiered of that bitch jumping from one lap to another.

19. hellmouth3 says:

Can Robin have better hair and better clothes this season? And yeah, as much as I like Barney/Robin? I liked Barney/Quinn much, much more.

20. Bella says:

Just like on castle, he is always the boyfriend that gets in the way!!!!

21. Tj says:

Isn’t that all he does, come on to a show as a love interest then it doesn’t work out cuz he’s just a fool to keep that woman away from the one she’s supposed to be with….

22. Ethan says:

“We’ll show you how that [new] relationship ends up leading her back to Barney.”

Meaning we don’t know what to do with Robin so we’ll just hook her up with another guy until the finale. They always give this same BS reason for everything. It’s the reason why Ted was with Stella and then Zoey and then Victoria next season. It’s so annoying.

I also don’t know what is so good about Barney/Robin. Barney and Quinn had much more chemistry.

23. Amy says:

I’ve been waiting for this for 2 seasons. Finally!

24. Amy says:

This was always in the plan for Robin. Go back and watch the “Crush” episode. The end of the episode states this wasn’t the last we’d see of this guy. I’m just glad they finally got the actor so this thread didn’t become a dead end.

25. Tom Mc says:

What if it is a double wedding, with Robin marrying Crush guy and Barney marrying Quinn? ;)

• Please live in reality people says:

OH MY GOD YOU’RE THE ONLY ANTI-B/R FAN TO EVER HAVE THIS THOUGHT EVER
      YOU’RE SO ORIGINAL
      DANNY DEVITO I LOVE YOUR WORK

• Frankie A says:

Yeah, that thought passed through most minds at first. But, I don’t see it happening. The producers are twisty mofos and all, but …yeah, no. I feel like ultimately they want the fans to be pleased with where everyone ends up, and after all that, if they twisted it around to not end with Robin and Barney, but instead Robin with some guy no one cares deeply about and Barney with Quinn who we mostly like, it just won’t do for many of the fans.

• Georg says:

That would be an awesome twist!

• Jennifer says:

thats might be the case if the writers had not specifcally stated that robin and barney will be married to each other

26. A says:

Its just a freaking tv show.

27. Frankie A says:

I had to feel kind of irritated with the finale. First, Ted and Victoria. We already knew he hadn’t met mom yet, already knew he’d meet her at Barney’s wedding, and just had to sigh when he and Victoria flirted with the idea of getting back together. Because we already knew there was no way she was the one. And in a similar way, seeing Barney propose to Quinn, we kind of immediately felt like we couldn’t trust it, because the producers were being straightforward with us instead of playing games and putting us through loops like they do – with reason, cause, hey, every episode and every season they can stretch this out for benefits them, and I’m not complaining because I love the show and more of it isn’t a bad thing
    As for this new development, I’m happy. There really wouldn’t be any good way to jump right into Barney and Robin being together – they couldn’t possibly just briefly dismiss the Quinn situation, and at this point I enjoy the development of Barney and Robin (together and separately) more than I enjoy Ted’s story. Ted really doesn’t have that much going for him – at this point, the other characters have taken over the show. So, I look forward to seeing Robin’s relationship and how it leads her back to Barney, and seeing how Barney and Quinn end.

28. nicole says:

I think Barney and Robin are great together. They are compatible and have an extreme caring nature for one another. Yes, we may know what is going to happen in the long run but let’s just wait and see the surprises that will partake in the show (gauranteed there will be surprises).I love the show- every single bit of it. We needed it! At a stage there the movie world seemed dull after friends concluded. Nicely done HIMYM

29. Nubydiekrabbe says:

I always thought this show was about how Ted met this wife, not how Barney and Robin got togther. Better als stroys of the series make sense at the end!

30. Adam says:

Im happy for him to has a role in here. He a good actor.

31. Ziga says:

Ted should be with Robin because it’s true love… I love Barney but I hate it when I see him or anybody else with Robin…

• Donnabon says:

I have to completely disagree, they were always wrong together, they’re completely opposite and although opposites attract there has to be some common ground, Barney and robin are just a better match for each other.

32. Donnabon says:

I knew swirly and robin would end up together. But yeah, the show has always seemed bittersweet to me, I want to find out who Ted ends up with but I know that just means that it’s the end of the show when we do find out

33. Alice says:

I thought HIMYM is only supposed to last for 8 seasons anyway…? Can someone confirm this? I can’t remember where I read that…

34. xoxo says:

Hot Uncle Coop! He was not in enough episode of One Tree Hill so I’m very excited to see him in HIMYM! I’ve always had a bit of a crush on Michael Trucco!

35. Max says:

So I’m reading some of these comments…season 8 is the final season guys.

36. Ash says:

Im just going to point out, when barneys wedding was first revealed ted was nervous (perling his beer lable) and it starts raining. He makes his joke about not having an umbrella (the yellow umbrella). Then in the season 7 final when we see robin as A bride its a good sunny day outside. As much as i dont want to say it maybe barney and robin dont end up together. Thoughts?

37. Barney Stinson says:

The show will have 10 seasons, with season 10 being the shortest of all seasons, as it will only have 10 episodes. So for seasons 8 and 9. They have 48 Episodes or 24 Hours worth of HIMYM to change things. As in season 10, they just wrap up the show and the whole story falls into place. As for Truco or [KIRK 'THE IRONMAN' IRONS] Glad he’s back on the show. He deserves more screentime than what they gave him a few seasons ago.

Ps. No one said anything about it being 8 Seasons long?

38. Little Scarf Girl says:

I’m glad they’ve revealed Barney and Robin will end up together, and I’m fine with them revisiting the crush guy. But seriously, this makes most of S7 pointless. We’re starting S8 almost EXACTLY the same way we started S7, with Barney in a semi-serious relationship, and Robin starting some new romance. Did we need Nora and Kevin? No. Did we need the messy hookup/fallout from last November? No. Did we need Robin suddenly acting mopey, whiney, completely insecure, and making irrational decisions that make us wonder why we ever liked her as a character in the first place? NO. Let’s hope S8 gets back on track.

39. Lisa J says:

Who says Barney and robin actually follow through with the wedding? Maybe this is why robin needs to talk to Ted…….to escape. :-D

40. saimcheeda says:

One more guy for Robin to have sex with before she settles with Barney :P

41. Jenny says:

I still think Barney and Nora should be together…not a big fan of B/R…but I wonder if Barney and Robin had Victoria as their wedding cake person…haha

42. Emma says:

I thought season 8 would be the last as Marshall is leaving at the end, what is the point in continuing the show without Marshall??