It’s Official: Chord Overstreet Now a Glee Series Regular

Is that a smile we see on your incredibly full lips, Trouty Mouth?

Chord Overstreet will be back for Glee’s Season 4 as a series regular.

RELATED | Glee Scoop — Major Season 4 Spoilers

Producers of the Fox musical dramedy were in serious danger of getting slushied by Glee fans when Overstreet’s option to return to Season 3 as a series regular wasn’t picked up last year. And the actor himself told TVLine last summer that he’d declined an invite to recur so he could instead focus on his fledgling music career. But Overstreet apparently changed his mind a few months later, after a brief stint on ABC’s The Middle, and Sam Evans returned to McKinley High and New Directions in December.

RELATED | Glee‘s (Spoilery) Season Premiere Episode Title Revealed!

Overstreet’s news (first reported by The Hollywood Reporter) follows Fox president Kevin Reilly’s recent announcement that several of Glee’s main stars will only be around part-time in the upcoming season. In addition, as the show moves many of its characters to life after high school, it’s rounding out the cast with new hires including Dean Geyer (Terra Nova) and Jacob Artist (Blue Lagoon: The Awakening).

Glee returns to Fox on Thursday, Sept. 13 at 9/8c.

1. Brandon says:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think he was ever a series regular. I thought he held guest star status and he left because they weren’t ready to upgrade him?

2. Jessica says:

I would like this more if we knew he was going to be with Mercedes. I really liked the idea of them together.

3. Dax says:

You can’t be “reinstated” as something you never were to begin with.

I’m happy that Chord finally got his promotion, though! I’m hoping for lots of him and Blaine being LOLzy BFFs in the choir room next season.

4. Jacqi says:

I am excited for this Glee news, I am not sure about the other’s that have been posted today. I really wanted Damien to come back, oh well.

5. matt says:

Chord was never a series regular…he was always recurring or guest-star status. This was the problem when Darren Chris was given series regular status while Chord was never given that status, until now.

6. Q says:

Reinstated? He was never a regular to begin with. What’s with all the reporting errors recently? Doesn’t anyone ever bother check the facts any more?

7. James says:

Google the definition of the word reinstated. And he didn’t change his mind. He came crawling back to Glee when he realized that his career was going down the toilet and that his team dropped the ball when they though Chord was bigger than he was and tried playing that game with FOX. But you know that, as you helped his team break the news, remember?

8. Atawewe says:

I thought Glee returns Thursdays this fall.

9. Liam says:

No one cares about Chord or Sam

10. mia says:

Further proof that pouting and throwing a tantrum will get you what you want. The arrogance Overstreet showed during last years contract negotiations was gross and I lost a lot of respect for him. Its fine to want a promotion, but the fact that he expected/demanded it before actors who had been on the show longer was extremely off putting.

• Sean Edgar says:

The problem for me was when Darren Criss was promoted to series regular status at the end of Season 2 (having only been there for half of that season; Harry Shum, Jr. deserved the upgrade after being recurring for 2 whole season, still should of kept Darren recurring in Season 3) when Chord was in ‘Glee’ before Darren wasn’t right for me, even though Darren is a ‘hit’ with the fans he would of lasted being a recurring character for the third season (though he may as well just got all solo that he had in Season 3 still). I’m happy Chord Overstreet is finally a regular he deserves it, I hope he becomes the new New Directions male co-captain (either him or Artie) and I hope he gets more solo’s that he deserves if he is given the right song to cover he would completely nail it!

11. Fabricio says:

I always knew about Sam as the new leader of New Directions, he is dumb as Finn was on high school. But I concerned about Tina, she supposedly will be the new female leader, but I think another diva will take her place. I also think about Glee can’t be in two different places. If the show gets renewed for season 5 the producers would decide if they stay in Ohio with new kids on Mckinley high or make the spin off with Rachel’s character and another cast members in NY or California

12. TJ says:

I wish that they would have just stuck with the original characters-I can’t stand any characters added after season one except Coach Bieste, and that’s just because Dot Marie-Jones is awesome. I think I’ll just pretend that the season 3 finale was the series finale and be done with the series.

13. He deserves this. He’s the best of the characters added after the first season.

14. jason says:

I wonder what the definition of series regular really means in the new Glee world since regular would generally mean seeing then in pretty much every episode and yet the Fox president said yesterday that wouldn’t be the case — only Lea Michelle will be back in the capacity — not even Cory Montieth or Chris Colfer. So really this just means that Sam will pop up when they decide to focus on McKinnely for the few times they plan on.

15. Elyse says:

Glad to hear it! i love Sam :)

16. Mark says:

Yay. I like him. More shirtless scenes please.

17. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Who cares? Nobody watches Glee anymore.

18. AngD says:

“Sam” was pretty dull when he was introduced during Season2. I didn’t care if he stayed or not. When he returned during season 3, I think they gave the character a bit more to do and Chord’s haircut was better. LOL – I know the haircut is a stupid reason, but I really didn’t get the attraction to Sam when he had long blonde hair. It seems like TPTB made a clear decision to establish Tina and Sam more firmly during season 3 so they could lead the McKinley gang. I hope they don’t waste ‘Artie’ – Kevin McHale can sing and dance and they should take advantage – he’s a better singer than the remaining guys IMHO. I don’t mind that Damian McGinty won’t be back – he just didn’t fit IMHO.

• Adyn says:

Damian McGinty “just didn’t fit” because Murphy, Brennan and Falchuk went out of their way to make sure YOU felt like he “just didn’t fit!” Worked, didn’t it?! He had sooooo much potential as a character—great comedic fodder was abandoned in favor of Finchel drama (ad nauseum) and PSA’s up the whazoo (sp.?) ( P.S…..He was GREAT in “Pot’O Gold,” “Heart” and the X-mas episode!……He and the Sugar storyline could have been hilarious if developed more after the “Heart” episode. Why wasn’t it? Plus, the kid can sing the rest of the cast under the table with the exception of Amber Riley!)

19. murley says:

love sam. glad he’ll be a stronger presence next season.

20. Molly says:

Pretty dull sans Mercedes to be frank. I never really liked Mercedes until she was with Sam either. Like others, I hope Tina and Artie aren’t neglected over the likes of Blaine, Joe, Britt or Sugar. There’s so much more room for development with Artie and Tina, especially the latter. Not to mention they both have incredible voices that have been neglected. I love Blaine and Britt, but they’ve had so much to do already. And contrary to others, I LOVE Sugar and Rory. Not together, I was always rooting for Artie, but they’re both really good comic relief and I think there’s potential for both of them. it’s just a shame that Damian McGinty doesn’t look to be coming back.

• Adyn says:

I soooo agree with you on the Sugar and Rory characters—-they are exactly what Glee needs to bring itself back to what the show was in season 1…….comedy!!! (not to mention what a phenomenal singer Damian is who could have blown you away if they’d just let him sing even more….his solos were beautiful….perhaps some of the cast didn’t want to be outshone by him….i.e.jealous, maybe?…….hmmmmmmm……) These two had comedic gold written all over them. Why the writers dropped the ball with those two, more specifically Damian, probably lies in the deep dark recesses of the writers’ and producers’ minds. They went down the soap opera and PSA route and practically suffocated the viewing public with all of the Finchel dramas and political agendas. If I had one of Rory Flanagan’s four leaf clovers right now I’d pull a “Dr. Who” and redo major portions of season 3….parts of last season were pretty good,though (i.e. the “Heart” episode and “Nationals”…) As for the Samuel/Joe issue—–he is a Johnny one note….a mediocre actor and singer and probably should have been let go. He won 7 episodes, was given plenty of dialogue and interaction with all of the cast and had multiple chances to show off his singing prowess (singers with a voice like his are a dime a dozen out in Hollyweird”…5 note range and nasally tone.) Unfortunately, for him, he just didn’t “pop” ( a term Ian Brennan used when describing Alex Newell’s 3 episode stint) onscreen. He was on for 10 episodes, wasn’t he, with more onscreen time, dialogue, etc. than Damian had in all 17 of his episodes combined! As for Alex Newell,send him packing, too……screechy voice, off-putting demeanor (being kind here) pretty bad actor….. Why wasn’t HE let go? What about Alex was Brennan (and others) so enamored with that caused him to fly off the handle and unceremoniously dump Damian McGinty without so much as a glimmer of an explanation?! “Unique”…..pure and simple. To paraphrase Mr. Brennan, “you just never know what’s going to POP (there’s that word again!) onscreen.” Both Ian and Murphy were infatuated with his cross-dressing/drag/gay persona (don’t believe me?….re-watch TGP1… also watch and read interviews they’ve given over the past year or so….think you’ll come to the same conclusion that I and others have)—– therefore, that will be be the political agenda “du jour” in season 4. So, I guess there’s gonna’ be a whole lotta’ “poppin'” goin’ on startin’ in September —-whether the audience likes it or not! Pop away fellows…don’t matter to me because I’m totally turned off by the way Mr. McGinty was treated and won’t be watching—– unless he and Miss Sugar make a triumphant return and turn the dial back up on comedy on Glee!…..WAY, WAY UP, please! That’s all it takes for me……bringbackroryandsugarandthecomedyplease…..

21. Kay says:

I think they should have Artie and Tina be the co-leads of New Directions since they have been in the group since the beginning of Glee. They should also focus more on New Directions, with occasional updates on the ones who have graduated and moved on to college and/or careers (Rachel, Kurt, Finn, Santana, Quinn, Puck, Mercedes). I hope this does not become “The Rachel Show” because she should not be the main focus of Glee. I am looking forward to Season 4 to see how the writers handle all these changes. My favorite is Blaine (Darren Criss) and is the main reason I still watch this show.