TVLine Items: Chuck Vet Adam Baldwin Joins SVU, Mindy Kaling Returns to The Office and More

John Casey is comin’ for ya, Captain Cragen.

Chuck alum Adam Baldwin has booked a three-episode arc during Law & Order: SVUs upcoming Season 14, TVGuide.com reports. He’ll take over sex crimes boss duties while Dan Florek’s longtime captain character is away after having been suspected of murdering a prostitute in last year’s finale.

The NBC cop drama’s new season kicks off with a two-hour premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c. Baldwin will appear in the first three episodes.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Dunder Mifflin hasn’t seen the last of Kelly Kapoor after all! Mindy Kaling — who is relocating to Fox this fall via The Mindy Project – will return for at least two episodes of The Office‘s ninth season. In fact, “I think I’m going to be in the premiere, which I’m really excited about,” she shared Monday during the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills. (Vulture first reported the news.)

RELATED | SVU Recruits Paget Brewster for Season 14 Premiere — Airing Opposite Criminal Minds

• Fox will debut two of its new fall series, The Mindy Project and Ben and Kate, ahead of their respective Tuesday, Sept. 25 premieres. Beginning Monday, Aug. 27, the pilots of each comedy will preview for two weeks on various online outlets, including Facebook, AOL.com, Hulu, Yahoo.com, Xfinity.com and more.

• Fox has renewed the Gordon Ramsay-produced Masterchef for a fourth season.

• Desperate Housewives alum Richard Burgi will guest-star in the Blue Bloods Season 3 premiere, TVGuide.com reports. He’ll play a Councilman with a checkered past. The cop drama kicks off Friday, Sept. 28 at 10/9c

• USA Network has ordered 10 episodes of The Choir, a musical reality series based on the heartwarming program that ran on BBC America. Choir director Gareth Malone will return to make over 10 singing groups across the United States.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (8)

• TOTALKY AWESOME about Adam ob SVU

Comment by ANNIE – July 23, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA should pick up the Sing off

Comment by Joel – July 23, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate reality shows, but I love USA Network and singing, so I might just check out The Choir.

Comment by Mikaylah – July 23, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Choir” was one of the few reality shows that I really loved. Gareth Malone is adorable.

Comment by maggie – July 23, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, I can never get enough of Adam Baldwin. I love seeing him pop up on different shows but can’t wait until he gets his own. I miss seeing him every week. So happy that he’ll be on SVU and Leverage. He is a gold mine and steals every scene he’s in he’s so good. Love him!

Comment by Ali – July 23, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Adam Baldwin but I refuse to watch those shows.

Comment by Velvet – July 24, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely be watching the choir. I loved the BBC version but BBC America stopped showing it after the 3rd series.

Comment by Giselle Alexandra – July 26, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s such a funny guy, I can’t picture him on SVU at all. But I look forward to watching him on it. It feels a little bittersweet though, I don’t want to trade Cragen for him as I like Cragen so much, and 3 episodes just doesn’t seem like enough Baldwin eye candy. Because he is after all, kind of a Baldwin.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 1, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post