True Blood Recap: The New, Even Bigger Bad Is…

Get More: Recaps

True Blood Season 5In this week’s True Blood, Russell slipped into his new position of power as eagerly as if it was his late, beloved Talbot’s arms. But he only got to revel in being fanger-in-chief for a coupla scenes before someone even higher-and-mightier showed up. Here’s how it all went down:

LILITH FAIR | In the wake of Roman’s murder, the Sanguinista regime – Russell, Salome and Nora (aka Regrettably Still Not Kate Beckinsale) – invites Bill, Eric and the chancellors to switch teams. “Uh, I don’t know about all that,” says the look on pretty much all of their faces, at least until Russell beheads the chancellor who actually says it out loud. After that, there’s a whole lot less hemming and hawing and a whole lot more sampling of what we’re told is literally Lilith’s blood. Even though they’re all vampires, this super-mega-vampire blood gets them high as kites and sets them off on a gory Bourbon Street pub crawl that is crashed by none other than – that’s right – Lilith herself. While we’re busy wondering if she travels in a blood droplet as an homage to Glinda the Good Witch and her bubble, Godric appears to Eric and tells him, in essence, “Chow time’s over. Put a stop to this eating-people nonsense.” Buzzkill!

THE NEW NORMAL | Learning from Claude that, since she is only half-fairy, her magic can be depleted and even go away totally if she uses it up, Sookie imagines a life for herself in which she can’t read minds or zap people with microwave fingers. Since that’s a pretty sweet life, she opts to go for it – more or less immediately – by shooting laser beams into the sky. This, in turn, draws the attention of Jason, who was just leaving Bill’s mansion after… well, keep reading.

TEMPER, TEMPER | When Jason informs Jessica that a vampire killed his parents and he’s going to avenge their murders, she soothes him with a kiss… which regrettably tastes like the himbo on whom she was just feeding. This leads to a major his-and-hers hissy, one that ends with her angrily biting him and him shooting her in the head. Oh, those crazy kids.

ANIMAL PLANET | For some reason, while training for his big packmaster smackdown with JD, Alcide seems to completely forget that he’s in love with Sookie and puts the moves on she-wolf Rikki. (Huh?) Martha once again insists that JD’s not on V, then is forced to eat her words when she catches him offering the drug to little Emma while recruiting four-legged soldiers for the coming vampire-human war. Meanwhile, Sam (literally) sniffs out one of the Obama-masked killers dressed as an orderly at the very hospital where Luna is convalescing, and No-Longer-Quite-So-Emo Hoyt feels so loved by the hate group that he becomes its newest member.

AND ANOTHER THING… | In Mexico, Lafayette is reunited with Jesus’ severed head, which Don Bartolo has artistically placed on Buster Bluth’s hand chair from Arrested Development. The villain is about to kill Lafayette, thereby implanting the brujo magic he apparently never should have been given by Jesus in Mrs. Bartolo’s about-to-be-born baby, when surprise! The pregnant lady stabs her husband to death. (OK… ) At Fangtasia, Lettie Mae pays Tara a visit to say hi and… Oh, right. Lettie Mae never does anything nice. She actually stops by to disown her daughter. There is a silver lining to the big “ouch,” though: Not only does Pam compliment Tara on her pole-dancing skills, she actually comforts her, leading to one of the most uncomfortable hugs you are likely to see this (or any) week. Finally, Terry – possibly as tired of the smoke monster story as the rest of us – considers killing himself.

So, what did you think of the episode? If you were Sookie, would you give up your fairy powers? What do you make of Alcide macking on Rikki? Does Sam remind you of Family Guy’s Brian Griffin when he’s ROFS (rolling on the floor sniffing), or is that just us? Answer away in the comments below!

Tags: ,

Comments (93)

• I thought it was the weirdest episode ever, though i did enjoy it.

Comment by Darth Pablo – July 22, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone else think they brought Bud Dearborn back cause he is the “dragon” who’s leading the Supe killers?

Oh.. And the best part of the episode was definitely the Eric/Bill piggyback.

Comment by Dark Defender – July 22, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha that was the funniest scene ever!!

Comment by valarie – July 23, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by amy – July 23, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! I thought so because his character changed from loving his wife, life and the law to hot tubbing with a floosie and kicking Andy to the curb. And why else would they bring him back since he has been gone since season 2?

Comment by tvdiva – July 23, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alcide doesn’t like Sookie anymore because of Eric’s glamor. Haven’t you been paying attention to this now trainwreck of a show?

Comment by Juppers – July 22, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Sookie fixed Alcide’s memory the next morning. She’s been able to do that since season 2 with Tara’s lost time due to Maryanne’s spell.

Comment by RecceR – July 22, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sookie unglamoured Alcide… What show have you been watching?

Comment by Jennifer – July 22, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sookie restored his memory, she did not unglamour him.

Comment by Juppers – July 23, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She can only unglamour what she knows, not what he didn’t tell her, therefore he still hates her.

Comment by ML – July 24, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was garbage. The season was great & now its going in the crapper, I’m somincredibly disappointed.

Comment by Christina – July 22, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to say this episode made me really uncomfortable.

Comment by Melissa Clark – July 23, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more. I FFed through most of the episode, it was so boring…

Comment by yippity – July 23, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought it was the best one of the season so far! It really pushed the envelope and I loved it!!

Comment by Stephanie – July 22, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True that, Stephanie. Probably one of the most pivotal and climatic episodes I’ve scene from this series in a very long time. The most powerful vampires vs. the human race. I think this episode saved the season from “Jumping the Shark” which might be too late but I’m willing to ride it out, especially after tonight’s episode.

Comment by steven – July 22, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is, Alan Ball is really going out with a bang! Just kidding, that’s not nearly all i have to say.
    1. LOL @ (aka Regrettably Still Not Kate Beckinsale)!
    2. Sookie is not half fae! If it’s “from Granddaddy Earl,” that would make her 1/8th.
    3. V-tripping on Bourbon Street? Hook a sister up.
    4. 500 too many storylines. Ifrit? Who cares.
    5. Isn’t Emma a little young to be shifting already? They say it happens at puberty, and she looks about 6.
    6. Russell’s decapitation of Dieter was the best thing.
    7. Why did Pam crimp her hair?
    8. OMGodric!
    9. Bud Dearborne? hilarious.
    10. The K’naan song! amazing.
    11. The guy Jess was feeding on totally looked like Steve Newlin at first.
    12. I think I saw a really tiny baby bump on Anna and it was exciting.
    13. Bill was the funniest V-tripper.

Comment by ashley – July 22, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The fae doesn’t pass to every generation. Jason’s not far at all, her cousin isn’t fairy but her cousins son is… She’s half fae it’s NOT genetic… Like race

Comment by Jennifer – July 22, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay this makes sense… it’s confusing because I’ve read the books and it’s different there, but I like your explanation

Comment by ashley – July 22, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, it could be genetic, but the gene for it could just be recessive.

Comment by Rianne – July 23, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It does seem early for puberty, but it can happen. I know grow who have started very young by second or third grade. I kInda remember reading that the average age has been on the decline.

Comment by Lmae81 – July 22, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I signed up for Tvline just so I could comment on this post. I love you for all 13 of them. Hilarious. Thought you should know.

Comment by Mahogany – July 24, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This wasn’t the best episode of the season, and the whole “Lillith’s Blood Parade” was awkward and weird. I think Russell has found his replacement Talbot in good ol’ Steve Newlin, which really creeps me out. And I agree that the Ifrit story line is pretty much unremarkable and needs to vacate my television as soon as possible. I really like Scott Foley and Todd Lowe as actors, but this is a waste of their talents. Best line of the night was the young woman on the stage who sort of recognized Russell.

Comment by Thomas – July 22, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the last episodes was really good, but this is completly crap!!stop with the 1.000.000 subplots and do and write a interesting story.

Comment by maria – July 22, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Russell karaoke: gold.

Comment by aleksa – July 22, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That scene had me literally laughing out loud!

Comment by Castle Lover – July 23, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest problem with this episode is the fact that there are too many characters to craft storylines for–they all suffer for it. There is a storyline for witches, the fae, weres/shifters, vampires, and spiri plagued ex-servicemen–all of that to cover in approximately 58 minutes. The stories are not coherent or really purposeful. Why is there an Ifrit story? I frankly don’t even understand why there is even an Authority to even suggest the current theme needs to occur in the 21st century sense they, the vampires, have been around for so long; and weres on V–this can be likened to the very worse of fan fiction.

Comment by Elaine – July 22, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was once entertaining and had something important to say about difference in our society. Now it’s just a joke. This is by far the worst season yet: too many characters, too many implausible plotlines and poor choices (making Tara a vampire; killing off Chistopher Meloni; the Ifrite). HBO and Alan Ball should really call it quits after this season. It’s just too painful to watch now.

Comment by Jay – July 22, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Becoming a vampire is the best thing that ever happened to Tara (storywise).

Comment by trololo – July 22, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said Jay.This episode was going backwards.1bringing back Russell.2 the few Blacks on there-character no substance.3 having sookie want giv up her powers!4th the show did use to hav more positive message along with entertaining.

Comment by Daisy Rich – July 23, 2012 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alan Ball is not going to be the showrunning next season, he doesn’t write the scripts.

Comment by icywinter2 – July 23, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lilith was a hallucination. Eric looks up to see Nora reacting to Lilith standing over her. After Godric told Eric to help Nora, Eric looks up again at Nora and Lilith is gone but Nora is still staring like she is there. Eric then stumbles backwards in shock. Concluding it was no physical Lilith, perhaps the blood is tainted and vampires under the influence of the blood see Lilith, but she was just a hallucination.

Comment by RecceR – July 22, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. perfect recap.

Comment by steven – July 22, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. There was no Lilith, they were just high.

Comment by Castle Lover – July 23, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Decent enough episode, they killed John Druitt :(. Hey, at least Barb from Cougar Town is still there.

Are they bringing off Hoyt to kill Jessica, sure seemed that way, Am i the only one who really wants to smack Salome.

At least it looks like that Ifrit story will be finished by end of next week. Hopefully more Arlene.

Loved that scene where Jess and Jason fought, you bit me so i’ll shoot you in the head, class.

And am i the only one who thought it seemed like they only saw Lilith cos they were high and hallucinating and she wasn’t really there at all.

Comment by Martin – July 22, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing about Lillith. Was she really there? Cause when Eric looked at Nora after Godric showed up, nobody was there. And, no, you are not the only one who wants to slap Salome!

Comment by Spikenalabama – July 24, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the most part, I rather enjoyed the episode, the bourbon street shenanigans (especially the piggy back ride) were quite a bit of of fun. That said, it’s an episode that doesn’t necessarily hold up well when you start thinking about it more and more (at least from the vamp perspective). I do look forward to Eric having to save Bill from himself though!

Other than that though, many of my main gripes remain: hate the Terry storyline, not interested in Lafayette, and Hoyt is now officially the most pathetic resident of Bon Temp – even Andy has gained more dignity!

Comment by Carrie – July 22, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow!
    I agree! This episode had to many story lines going on at the same time with shockers for us. I wanted to see more of Sookie! Anyone getting Sookie withdrawal yet? Maybe we can see more of her soon. Arlene’s wedding video was sweet, but way too long for me. I hope the retired Sheriff Bud is back in some capacity. I guess the Bud hot tub scene would be too much TMI (LOL), but it would have been funny! Hoyt doesn’t know what trouble he is in now. Where is my romance fix this season? OK, I confess that I do miss the superb True Blood writing of past romances, so maybe we can get it soon.

Comment by Lynn – July 22, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ya – Alan Ball promised 3 new romances this season at Comic-Con… we’re running out of time! well perhaps Alcide/weregirl is one

Comment by ashley – July 22, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I think Russell/Steve Newlin is another.

Comment by Jenn – July 23, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree whole heartedly.. For a series about Sookie. She is in it very little. Now I understand she can not do the show single handed but the stories SHOULD revolve around her in some way…

Comment by holly – July 23, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said…she was hardly even on last night… :(

Comment by Erin – July 23, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was pretty ridiculous for the most part. First of all, I didn’t buy for a minute that Alcide was over Sookie (or looking for something on the side) especially since he JUST got farther with her than he’s ever been before. I believe “I’ve been waiting for this for so long” were his exact words. That kind of behavior would have made sense had she been chasing after Eric or Bill but now that she’s finally coming around to him? Second of all, I’m not really buying that Hoyt hates Jessica so much, he wants her murdered. It really sucks that they have to ruin his character so completely just to make Jessica/Jason happen (I do love Jessica with Jason, this isn’t a shipper thing). Finally, I thought that Jessica/Jason showdown was COMPLETELY against Jason’s character and just out of the blue random.

Comment by dude – July 22, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s still glamored into thinking she’s icky,lol.

Comment by Shaun – July 23, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, he is not still glamoured thanks to Sookie.

Comment by Spikenalabama – July 24, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked that Jessica Jason scene alot, favorite moment of the whole episode. I loved that Godric appeared to Eric and maybe now Eric can stand up and leave this mess. Alcide and Rikki, yes please, I’m enjoying them alot and she got some moves when they were fighting. I thought the whole authority thing was going to be amazing with them vs Russell but instead its become this whole religion thing thats pretty trippy yet boring.

Comment by Isabelle – July 22, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood keeps going to really great to crap really quickly. Sorry but the last 2 season haven’t been as good as the early ones. Last season was all about at not senses sex and now about this Lilith and a lot of other stories than made no sense at all. The only thing that I like, it the Tara/Pam relationship. Sorry but TB isn’t as appalling as it use to be.

Comment by Alrisha_6 – July 22, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed this episode, but I think they pushed it a bit too far. “Suicide is for muslims” was one step too far for me – I’ve already been uncomfortable with them pushing the Iraq War as a form of entertainment while i thought the sucking on the child (Russel) was a bit too much, particularly in the wake of Colorado and the Massacre there which involved children.

I KNOW, PC and uptight, I love True Blood and accept most things, but they just pushed it too far for me and believe me, I’m one of the least PC people I know.

Three new romances are extremely obvious: Russell/Steve, Tara/Pam and Alcide/Were-Girl.

Other than that, more bringing of the stories together. Luckily it looks like they’ve weaved Arlene and Terry with LaFayette’s storyline and jason/Jessica/Hoyt/Sam/Luna appear to be coming together – fingers crossed.

Comment by morganisaqt – July 22, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m right there with you, Morgan.

Comment by ee – July 22, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serious?! You *do* realize that this episode was written and filmed WEEKS ago, right? As in probably months before there was a shooting in Colarado at a movie theatre–which how you can POSSIBLY associate with a VAMPIRE chowing down on a child is completely beyond me… I just… wow.

Shooting != drinking the blood of
      Vampire == fictional
      Bar != movie theatre

Yeah, it’s obviously people like you that lead to these ridiculous overreactions… oh no, let’s not show the season 3 finale of Buffy because there was a school shooting in Columbine! Because the principal turning into a giant snake and battling the students who were armed with medieval weapons is SOOOOO related. And a bomb going off on a plane in the series premiere of 24 is SOOOOO related to planes crashing into the World Trade Centre.

That’s not PC–that’s ridiculous. That’s nonsensical.

Comment by Joey Connick – July 23, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Calm your tail feathers sugar, it was one 2 second shot of russel sucking on a child, I’m not saying that they should have removed it but it was easy enough to do so :)

I’m not a moron, nor do i have the time to respond to your “I have way too much time” explanatory comment, but i thought for sensitivity’s sake a last minute edit could have been done.

Comment by morganisaqt – July 23, 2012 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um the season 3 finale wasn’t the one they didn’t air. It was the one where Buffy could hear everyone’s thoughts. The cafeteria lady was going to kill the students and Jonathon was going to kill himself. For the record, that’s the one they didn’t show.

Comment by KieraB – July 23, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They did delay the season 3 finale too, but I think that was for a different school shooting.

Comment by Mikael – July 24, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thank you for helping that person understand TV land is in a different dimension than we are.. and it is not REAL

Comment by holly – July 23, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • completely agree. “suicide is for muslims” was really inappropriate and stereotypical.
      also Tara and Pam can’t be a romance, cuz its like a mother daughter relationship since Pam is her maker. Bill wouldnt be in a romance with Jessica and Eric and Pam stopped being romantic after he became her maker, they just have a really strong bond.

Comment by A – July 23, 2012 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just to point out on your last comment, Vampires are rather fond of incest – remember Bill and Lorena?

Comment by Rianne – July 23, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Eric and Nora earlier this season.

Comment by Spikenalabama – July 24, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. Muslims don’t even believe in suicide, they believe they go to hell for it. Just goes to show, people see a few terrorists running around bombing themselves, who btw, happen to be extremist Muslims and suddenly hey, Muslims believe in suicide! Classic example of how much the media brainwashes most of us and how little we actually go and research stuff by ourselves. Hell, I even bet that most people didn’t know that they also believe in Jesus (different story though).

Comment by Rianne – July 23, 2012 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Trying to tie this episode of TB to the shooting in Colorado is just insane .
      So they can keep showing the Batman movie or any other violent movie / show but TB should edit an episode that doesn’t involve gunfire , a movie theater, or a mask gunman.
      You are being disrespectful to those who were injured & killed in Colorado.
      Don’t use them as part of any critique on a TV show.

Comment by Whatever – July 23, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Morgan- I think you hit the nail on the head. This was the most shameful episode ever IMO, for the reasons you listed.

I really think they need to take apache fromAaron Sorkin’s play book and fire all the writers.

Comment by Waitingsux – July 23, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know sookie doesn’t like being different and all but she’s not considering how different her life will be w/o her powers and the help she’s been able to give with them. I hope she keeps them. I hope Eric snaps Nora and bill out of this . But I have to admit Steve was effin hilarious tonight with his few lines, of course the one about the tree. And I thought Jason shooting Jess was harsh but needed, but I still love them. Plus I think sookie should keep her power given the coming war.

Comment by Anna – July 22, 2012 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO and the funniest line of the night goes to Jason Stackhouse. “I ain’t never f***ed a cow”. I laughed so hard.

Comment by A – July 23, 2012 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole maker does not always parallel with a typical parent/child relationship. Just like Eric and Nora (Brother and Sister) having sex. It is the same. Even after Pam was made into a vampire, they still had a sexual relationship, it’s just grown past that after all these years. I think the possibility for Tara and Pam is still there.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 23, 2012 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved to see the scenes with Sookie & Jason. You can see the love between the siblings.

Comment by Liz – July 23, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “True Blood” is getting pretty close to going completely over the top. This is the first season I have seen since the first one and the drop in quality is pretty dramatic — it has turned from drama into spoof, making it impossible for the characters and their problems to evoke genuine emotions in the audience.

As for your questions, Sookie would be a fool to give up her fairy powers, and this vampire war thing? If this is the “new normal”, the world of “True Blood” will never be the same. Where on earth will they go from here? The only story line I have found mildly interesting is Tara’s new vampire state, and her relationship with her maker, and the scenes with Pam and Eric in which he released her. The Vampire Authority thing is pure “Hotel Transylvania” and the rest of the story lines are only slightly better. I will keep watching for now, but it saddens me how far they have fallen.

Comment by MaryAnn – July 23, 2012 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrible episode!!! Season started off great too. Stop trying to make political statements and get back to the show it used to be.

Comment by Annoyed – July 23, 2012 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show always made political statements. The whole premise of vampires “coming out” and the prejudice against them was a metaphor for gays coming out. Sheesh.

Comment by KieraB – July 23, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was a great episode. I don’t understand all the hate? You mean to tell me you’re just thinking things are weird on the show? and its going too far? really? this is TB after all people! I remember years ago Eric said how children were delicious so you’re making a big deal over a kid getting bit and also comparing it to the shootings in CO REALLY? Guess what there are sickos and killings happening everyday but I don’t let it ruin my tv time. @@ just stop watching the show if you can’t look gmab.

Comment by s – July 23, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another thing get over the Alcide/Sookie thing cause guess what? Sookie was drinking/drunk and I never heard her say she was ready or wanting Alcide while sober. We could have all guessed a long time ago Alcide had a thing for Sookie but that doesn’t mean he can’t bang the hot wolf chick Rikki who imo he has WAY more chemistry with than Sookie.

Comment by s – July 23, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lilith doesn’t want peace or co-existance. Clearly Roman was trying to avoid what just happened, Salome and the rest of the authority should have gone along with him. Them being on the other side, things now are worse especially with Russell.

Comment by icywinter2 – July 23, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was probably the only one finding Terry’s story interesting BEFORE the latest episode. But they’ve completely ruined it last night. First of all, the monster’s actions weren’t so badass as I thought they would be, and secondly, yes, I agree with everyone. That line, “muslims do suicides” was a big no-no. But I guess the writers did this intentionally to show how much of a biggot that general is (which explains his order back in Iraq).

I’d just like to say, ever since S3 I’ve started viewing True Blood as more of a black comedy about vampires than a horror story (otherwise I would have stopped watching). But I agree, last night was the weirdest, WTF episode they could think of. It’s as if the writers were in a worse trip than the Council after drinking Lilith’s blood was. I just hope Lilith was a hallucination. And I also hope that “saving Nora”, as “Godric” told Eric, means she is going to be killed off, along with Salome. They are both by far the most annoying characters True Blood has ever had.

Comment by Christine – July 23, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the “Muslims do suicide” line was there because we aren’t supposed to like Scott Foley’s character. He is a bigot and a jerk and we are supposed to be rooting for Terry, not for him. I feel like he’ll try to sacrifice Terry to the Ifrit to escape himself before it’s over.

Comment by Steve – July 23, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. That character is a racist and the line was in keeping with his character. It wasn’t presented as a joke or as something the audience was supposed to laugh at. I don’t think the show believes the line. The character believes the line, and it is one of a multitude of things wrong with him.

Comment by WhyohWhy – July 23, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep. Completely agree.

Comment by kewi94 – July 23, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the Bill/Eric piggyback was the best thing on TV all year. conversely, Terry’s smoke monster story is the worst thing since the Roseanne dream season. i PVR the show and watch 30 minutes later just so i can fast forward through all his scenes.

Comment by Dave – July 23, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love True Blood, but there are 1 too many storylines happening. They could have seriously left the Terry storyline out, as well as the Layeffette storyline. Have Layeffette involved in other story lines. The whole killing anything supernatural storyline could be gone too. It is like Alan Ball is trying to cram everything in before he leaves.

The piggyback ride between Bill and Eric was great and how they scared the poor taxi driver. I laughed so hard.

Comment by MJ – July 23, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thrilled when Tara got her head blown off and you can only imagine my disappointment when she was turned. Apparently Alan Ball can’t bring himself to kill off any of the characters and when Luna and Sam were shot, I wasn’t even remotely concerned and Sam evidently made the quickest recovery from a gun shot wound to the gut in the history of the world. I didn’t much like last season and was eagerly anticipating the return of Russell Edgington and TB wasted a lot of unnecessary time in bringing him back to the screen. Giving all the minor characters their own story lines was a terrible mistake. Does anyone REALLY care about Terry? The Ifrit is preposterous and Terry’s story line, Andy’s personal life, and other boring crap is taking away from the characters everybody IS interested in. Even from the beginning, Terry, Sam, and Tara could have disappeared and I wouldn’t have cared.

This season has gotten off to a really slow start, but I am hoping it will get better. It couldn’t really get much worse.

Comment by Jake – July 23, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely LOVED Russell singing “You Light Up My Life” with his soon-to-be-victim. That was the best part of the episode. I can’t remember laughing that hard at an episode in the past! Also loved Bill getting the piggyback ride on Eric. I’m a little done with the ifrit nonsense. I get Terry needs somewhat of a story considering they no longer really talk about his PTSD but come on already. I hope that doesn’t drag out through the rest of the season.

Comment by Lesleykay – July 23, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here are my predictions:

1) Old vampires tripping on Lilith’s blood in New Orleans in the streets reminded me of Bandy Candy (Buffy tv series.) Lilith will do considerable damage to mainstreaming and be the catalyst for the coming war.

2) A smoke monster that laughs is a pathetic big bad. Lafayette will help get rid of it with his medium powers.

3) Sookie will keep her powers and Claude and his sisters will help her develop them even further. She needs them for the coming war.

4) Hoyt is going to end up hurting or killing a supernatural he knows, or end up drained or dead.

5) Jason is going to fimd the vamp who killed his parents. Not sure if he will survive the encounter.

6) The Eric and Bill bromance will continue as they fight side by side in the coming war.

7) Alcide will become pack master and the pack will split – JD’s side taking V, Alcide’s side fighting with Sookie and her pals in the war.

8) Merlotte’s will continue to run on auto pilot as Sam is never there.

Comment by tvdiva – July 23, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re awfully optimistic as True Blood has never shown any willingness to kill off any major or recurring minor character.

Comment by Jake – July 23, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with most of these points. well put for number 8! number 9 – russel + steve newlin. and hopefully eric stakes him, too : p

anyone know why jason feels so responsible for his parents death? why would sookie blame him? because he was older?

Comment by Toulouse – July 23, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was asking myself the same question (why Jason felt responsible for his parents’ death)… I tried to cycle back thru the episode guides for answers, but I couldn’t find anything… Has anyone responded to this question?

Comment by Katheresa 24 – July 25, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolute worst episode in the last 5 seasons.

This show continues to have continuity problems. Tara crying normal tears, Jessica attending a daytime wedding etc etc.

Also the smoke monster… It laughed… Enough said.

The Lillith storyline is both boring and confusing and it completely lacks audience interest.

There are about 3 too many stories going on right now, Jesus’ beetle juice head, ifrit, Hoyt.

What was up with beetnik Russell?? His character was really great in S 3, now he’s almost like a characature of himself.

I take issue with several things, why was Lillith’s bush perfectly coiffed??? Eating a kid, really? And the most shameful comment was the Muslim suicide comment… Bad taste, even for a show like TB it’s just inappropriate.

Comment by Waitingsux – July 23, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was Jessica attending the wedding though? It looked like she was at the reception, and since the reception was inside Sam’s place, I couldn’t get a good idea of the time of day. The reception might have been in the evening… I’d have to rewatch to verify. Did notice the normal tears with Tara.
      Disagreeing about the suicide comment. Again, I don’t think the show believes the comment. It’s the character who believes it and it is part of the negative portrayal of that character. There’s also been a lot of anti-homosexual comments made, but by homophobic characters.

Comment by WhyohWhy – July 23, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think True Blood has finally jumped the shark.

Comment by Rick – July 23, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It did that after season 1.

Comment by Annika – July 26, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to many story lines to follow they jump around way to much to many subplots whos writing this show.

Comment by John Moshier – July 23, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While this season is getting a bit better than the first 6 episodes, I am disappointed that with such rich material available, the writers on the show have gone sooo off course that I don’t think they will ever get back on track. It does really sound that the rumor about the writer throwing darts at an idea board is true.

Comment by Alexandra Cruz – July 23, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this episode was so different from the previous one’s. But I really enjoyed it. Though I found watching LaFayette sitting there with his mouth stitched closed so disturbing. Great special effects. It’s amazing how people have such contrasting opinions on this season. I am loving it but enough with the Ifrit storyline. I can’t see where they will take this storyline that it can redeem its self. Oh and another great Pam scene.

Comment by Laury – July 23, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood has always had a huge number of parallel plots going on. By my count we have 7 or 8 main storylines going on, with a few intersects here and there. That’s pretty much the same amount that we’ve had in each of the previous series. I don’t get what the problem is for some viewers. Its not difficult to keep up with. Although you do have to pay attention.

Maybe that is the problem – audiences are too used to being spoon fed plots in nice easily resolved chunks on the vast majority of other shows, and its hard for them to cope with a show that requires a bit of thinking.

Comment by Scott – July 23, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was good…eric giving bill a piggyback ride was hysterical…but i really could have done without the vamps feeding on little kids at that “Private Party”. I thought that was really disturbing to watch and so not necessary…

Comment by Erin – July 23, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • would it be better if he was feeding on a handicapped person? an elderly gentlemen? come on, it’s true blood, you can’t ask them to discriminate, just like you can’t with comedians. it’s like family guy – they make fun of everyone, from deaf people to asians to children to pedophiles. true blood, where we eat everyone. i’d be offended if they DIDN’T include children in their meal, personally

Comment by Toulouse – July 23, 2012 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Lillith, as brief as her appearance was, was a little too Aaliyah as Akasha in Queen of the Damned. And I found her bush very distracting.

Comment by Mikael – July 24, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post