Fall TV Preview

Castle Exclusive: Jack Coleman Cast as New [Spoiler] For Beckett

Jack Coleman CastleNavigating the fallout from her tryst with Ricky C may be the least of Beckett’s problems this season on Castle.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Heroes vet Jack Coleman is joining the show’s fifth season as a new antagonist for Stana Katic’s detective.

VIDEO | Nathan Fillion Talks Castle Hook-Up, Drops (?) Big Hint About Rick’s Dad

According to series creator Andrew Marlowe, Coleman will play a “well-liked U.S. senator who finds himself in conflict with Beckett.”

Ironically Coincidentally, Coleman’s most recent role was also rooted in politics: For the past two seasons he recurred on The Office as Angela’s state senator boyfriend Rob Lipton.

Comments (40)

• If this were seasons 1-4 I’d be concerned that he’d be a significant other.

Comment by Gianna – July 22, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I thought by “foe” they meant he’d be taking her position at the 12th while she’s trying to get her job back (assuming Castle convinces her to get it back). But him being a senator makes more sense, given what was released a while ago about her mom’s case. Looking forward to season 5!

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – July 22, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not ironic, it’s coincidental. Damn you Alanis Morissette

Comment by Joe – July 22, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha!! Great minds think alike!!

Comment by Carol – July 22, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • However there is irony to be found in using that particular word incorrectly in an article about Castle who finds its misuse so irritating. ;)

Comment by Carol – July 22, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I see “ironically” has been crossed out – perhaps due to the comments? If so, cool! At least they didn’t write “irregardless”. That word just makes me cringe.

Comment by Nicole – July 23, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey! I like ‘Ironic’ It’s just a pop song not a thesaurus. Please boringly nitpick elsewhere.

Comment by Keenan – July 22, 2012 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Thank you! Try teaching high schoolers the difference since that darn song came out!

Comment by Dan – July 23, 2012 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle would be disappointed by the use of ‘ironically’ in this article. But I’m looking forward to Season 5, foes and all!! Should be fantastic!!

Comment by Carol – July 22, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He doesn’t look old enough to be the dragon or Castle’s father. Interesting…

Comment by loretta – July 22, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i belive that jack coleman is castle’s Father, or he is related with beckett’s mother murder, otherwise if he ever be beckett’s new passion or something like that, i will never watch castle again.

Comment by Sellina – August 4, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @loretta It’s a show they can change his age with some make up and hair color sprry but he looks old enough.

Comment by tatly – July 22, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last time Jack Coleman and Stana Katic were together in a show, they were also, sort-of, foes. Wasn’t Katic’s Hana Gitelman running from Coleman’s HRG in Heroes? =)

Comment by Jason – July 22, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I thought it was going to say “love-interest” and I was gonna be like NUH UH YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

Comment by Meg – July 22, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can not stop the squee!!! This is awesome news!

Comment by dref22 (@dref22) – July 22, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    It’s almost that time of year again my friends — when Mondays are the most cherished day of the week. What’s that I hear? A new episode of Castle.

Comment by Kelsey Tape – July 22, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahaha I met him at Monte-Carlo in june. Good face for play a Bad Guy.

Comment by Billi – July 23, 2012 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gawwwdd…i started screaming thinking he would be Kate’s new BF but oooooh….she’s already in a relationship. Still so surreal!!

Comment by Krithika – July 23, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, Molly, I’m going to go out on a limb and predict Beckett and Esposito get their jobs back — just a wild hunch.

The only thing that worries me about the Coleman role is it implies an extended arc on the whole “who killed Beckett’s mother” story which, IMHO, got tired two seasons ago. It was bad enough that they would dust off that same old story every sweeps period. Now are we going to have to put up with it all season too? When I think back, probably the beginning of the end for “House” was when they spent half a season with some detective chasing House trying to prove he was a drug addict. I probably shouldn’t jump to conclusions, but this story line has the same potential. But we’ll see.

Comment by Tom – July 23, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that Marlowe said they were going to wrap it up and pretty quickly.

Comment by RoadSinger – July 23, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Esposito still has his job. Beckett and him were suspended, then Beckett quit. And as for the mother storyline, I for one actually find it interesting, but I doubt the season will focus on it, Coleman will probably only appear ever few eps.

Comment by Leroy – July 23, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maga beyond ugly…if they put this thing on i’ll stop watching

Comment by elizabeth – July 23, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could Beckett have a brother she doesn’t know about that is causing her life to be in jepordy!?!?

Comment by Liz – July 23, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beckett is an only child. The senator is in the mix because of her mother’s murder which extends to people high up in the government.

Comment by tvdiva – July 23, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The real twist would be for Beckett and Castle to do the “Thin Man” thing. If you’ve ever seen the movies you can’t deny the similarities.

Comment by R – July 23, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here I was hoping Beckett and Esposito teamed up as bounty hunters at the beginning of the season, bringing awkward moments when they had to deal with their ex-coworkers… Eventually finding their way back on the NPYD. ;)

Comment by Emma – July 23, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like this line of thought. Actually makes sense and a better story line

Comment by Hemant – July 27, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him!

Comment by Danielle H – July 23, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind a new person coming in provided its not a love interest.
    Great interview with Molly Quinn.

Comment by yen35 – July 23, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this guy doesn’t tear Beckett & Castle relationship apart, God it has taken then this long to get together. Don’t tell me it’s going to be a one nite thing. & their going to go back to being sad & lonely.

Comment by Julia Williams – July 24, 2012 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show and the whole cast. but have a feeling that if they don’t resolve this issue with her mom and someone trying to kill her (Beckett_) that it is going to drag on and they will lose viewers.. So many shows have story in story lines that are really getting annoying .

Comment by Teresea Griffith – July 24, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In my opinion, the mystery surrounding Beckett’s mom’s murder is what sets Castle apart from all the boring others. What bores me, is all the incessant discussion of the relationship. Don’t get me wrong, Castle and Beckett is the most fun I have ever had watching two characters dance, but if that is all that is important, Castle might as well be on in the afternoon.

Comment by geb – August 12, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet, Castle sets up Beckett and Esposito in thier own private detective agency. Let the love continue.

Comment by Bob Diederich – July 25, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha. Just so you know, Castle is friends with the mayor? He can easily get them re-instated to the annoyance of Mrs. Iron Gates.

As for Senator. Bring it on.! Season 5 shall be epic.

Comment by Roy Montgomery – July 26, 2012 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post