Alphas Preview: Laura Mennell Says Season 2 Will Expose Nina's 'Dark Underbelly'

As Syfy’s Alphas opens Season 2 this Monday at 10/9c, the canvas has changed – and not for the better. Since “outing” Alphas to the world, Rosen (played by David Strathairn) has been discredited and institutionalized. More Alphas, meanwhile, have been wrangled and imprisoned at the Binghamton facility – including a member of the good doctor’s team.

To set things right, an effort is made to “get the band back together,” though that may be easier said than done when it comes to Nina, played by Laura Mennell.

“She has definitely reverted back to some of her old ways of pushing, to fill the emptiness that crept back into her life when the team fell apart,” Mennell tells TVLine. “Last year, Nina was in a pretty good place – Rosen helped her lead more of a fulfilling lifestyle, she was starting to have relationships, people were like family to her – but after the group fell apart, she didn’t know how to cope. And she blamed Rosen for that, to an extent… [giving] her a more meaningful life only to have it taken away.”

RELATED | Alphas Welcomes Back Summer Glau, Recruits Sean Astin, Lauren Holly and Others

Though Nina is ultimately recruited for a slapdash mission intended to free her former teammate from Binghamton, that bit of camaraderie may be too little to undo the damage incurred by the abrupt disbandment of Rosen’s group.

Says the actress, “She definitely distances herself from everyone” – even gal pal and onetime roomie Rachel (aka she of the super-heightened senses). “Nina and Rachel (Azita Ghanazida) had such a lovely, wonderful relationship last season, but things will definitely change. It won’t be in the same place.” Mennell previews. “It wont be the same for Nina with anyone. I mean, she still has a soft spot for Gary (Ryan Cartwright) and always will, but she’s quite separate from everyone for a while.”

Not helping matters is her rekindled love affair with her pushing skills, through which she can command anyone she makes direct eye contact with to do her bidding. “At the beginning of the season, you’ll see Nina more ‘at her best’ in terms of [that],” says her portrayer. “But it will get worse and worse … until it ultimately gets out of control to the point where it becomes all she cares about – regardless of the consequences and who she hurts. And as it becomes more compulsive… she gets more of a dark underbelly.”

But before things get too dark, Nina will rekindle a different sort of love affair in this season’s fourth episode, which guest-stars Being Erica‘s Morgan Kelly as an old boyfriend.

“Obviously Nina is still getting over Hicks (Warren Christie), which might be difficult,” says Mennell. “But yeah, she’ll have a bit of a romance with a guy from her past. His name is Tommy, and he’s played wonderfully by Morgan Kelly. I can’t go into much more detail than that, but…. All in all, it will be a cool year for Nina, for sure.”

Comments (13)

• Not a big fan of Nina, and don’t really ever expect to be. I’m much more interested in seeing Rachel grow, and meeting new Alphas.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – July 22, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love alphas the season finale lead amazing can’t wait to watch

Comment by Juan – July 22, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Low budget version of heroes with even worse writing, if that is possible. Maybe this season will be better but I on’t have high hopes.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – July 22, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will not watch sucky Alphas. Last season I watched it until I decided I disliked all the characters (from the beginning) and each epi bored the frak out of me.

Comment by Velvet – July 23, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alphas was/is immensely overrated. Comic-Con rotten egg.

Comment by Velvet – July 23, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching after episode 8. None of these characters are even likeable, and the writing/romance stories are contrived. This gets renewed by Eureka gets cancelled… strange world we live in. (I love scifi in most forms but this particular show I cannot watch anymore).

Comment by Vanny – July 23, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, considering Bruce Miller co-show runner of Eureka is now the show runner for this season of Alphas, i would say you should probably tune back in…

Comment by Newo – July 23, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am still POed that Eureka got cancelled. But I am hoping the Eureka’s Bruce Miller can turn these cardboard characters into humans albeit with super human powers.

Comment by tvdiva – July 23, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! Very promising idea to start the new season. Rosen definitely did the right thing in my mind cause Binghampton is as shady and corrupt as ever. I’m definitely on Rosen’s side right now – not necessarily Red Flag’s though. Every character has a shining quality to them, and the writing is quite good too. The fact that their powers make them super, but still have an unforgettable humanity to them makes this a good show to me. Definitely looking forward to this season.

Comment by Justin – July 23, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Fargo (Neil Grayston) will end up on more epis of Warehouse 13.

Comment by Velvet – July 23, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like to hear some tidbits on Nina. She’s my girl. :)
    This blame glame on Alphas because of Eureka. Eureka screwed up with the cornball pair of Allison and Carter. They were a mismatch from the get-go.

Comment by bklyngirl – July 23, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Nina when it was storylines about her and Rachel. More of them and I’ll be a happy camper.
    The romance with Hicks is super boring…probably due to Hicks being a super boring character.

Comment by mia – July 23, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the series and I can’t wait to see nina’s dark underbelly

Comment by samara – July 26, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post