Emmys

The Voice's Carson Daly on Season 3 Tweaks, Battle-Round Thievery, Taking Idol's Emmy Nod

carson daly the voiceCarson Daly knows how clichéd it is to utter the phrase “it’s an honor just to be nominated,” but with The Voice scoring its first ever nod this week in the Outstanding Reality-Competition Program category, he just can’t help himself. “I’ve never been in a position to actually say that line and say it where it means something,” muses the show’s host, “but it really is an honor.”

TVLine caught up with Daly to talk about The Voice‘s Emmy chances, some intriguing tweaks to the show’s formula for its upcoming third season, and any simmering tensions between judges Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine.

PICKING THEIR BATTLES | “We’re tweaking the Battle Rounds a little bit for Season 3,” says Daly. “The best way to categorize the changes is that we’re playing with some potential interchangeability.” When I tell Daly that I’ve always wished that mentors would be allowed to steal at least one Battle Round evictee from a competing judge, and ask him if that’s what he means by “interchangeability,” he chuckles. “I will unofficially not comment on that, but I think that you in particular will enjoy this season of The Voice.” [UPDATE: It has since been announced that mentors in Season 3 will be able to "steal" two dismissed singers each.]

A LESS CROWDED STAGE | “We had too many people in the live rounds, and it was hard to keep track of them, and it was hard to fall in love because there were so many,” says Daly, reflecting back on The Voice‘s first two seasons. As a result, don’t expect to see 24 vocalists — six per mentor — for Season 3′s live shows. “One of the things Mark Burnett excels at, his production company excels at, is telling stories. And [in the case of The Voice], these stories are so cinematic and they tug at the heartstrings,” says Daly. “When we get to the live shows, we want America to be a little more invested in fewer singers.” He also says to expect an increased number of performances from individual contestants by the time they get to the finale. [UPDATE: Mentors will now exit the Battle Rounds with 10 singers each, then enter a new two-week Knockout Round to narrow their roster down to five apiece.]

MORE BLIND AUDITIONS (NOW WITH MORE BABIES!) | With The Voice now airing Mondays and Tuesdays — three hours per week — that means more blind auditions for Season 3. “We just shot it,” says Daly. “It’s five days where I’m out of my mind.”

The host adds that he’d recently been pondering the grueling travel schedule his friend Nick Cannon has during America’s Got Talent‘s audition rounds, which initially had him thinking, “God, I have it easy. I never leave L.A.” But then, says Daly, he reconsidered. “Eff that! I’m on an emotional rollercoaster. I watch these auditions standing right next to the families and loved ones of these contestants, while they put everything on the line in 90 seconds. And it’s hit or miss. You just need one mentor to press one button, and when they do, it’s a moment of elation. But if there isn’t a button-push, it’s the most awkward room and the most awkward place you can possibly imagine on television.” Daly adds that after he was essentially mauled by the overjoyed mom of Season 2 singer Adley Stump following her successful blind audition, he’s seen an uptick in physical contact with contestants’ families this year. “I’m holding babies, I’m hugging moms, and I’m catching dads,” he says with a laugh.

99 PROBLEMS BUT A CONTINUING XTINA/ADAM FEUD AIN’T ONE | Daly is the first to admit Season 2 ended with palpable tension between Aguilera and Levine — whose finale-night tiff over contestant Tony Lucca’s Jay-Z cover created oodles of tabloid chatter. “You could see it. You could feel it. I’m not gonna lie to you, and you’d read into my bulls–t if I told you that there wasn’t any,” he says. Nevertheless, after a rumored truce at the Season 2 wrap party, the duo’s on-set relationship during the recently filmed blind auditions was very cordial, Daly reports. “I didn’t know what to expect in frame one of Season 3. I was curious to know if the first time they had an exchange, would you be able to feel any resentment, but it just wasn’t there. It’s better. It’s like they went to couples therapy,” he says.

Daly continues that while no one can be sure whether or not Aguilera and Levine will “go back at it in the live shows,” he’s of the mindset that serious discord isn’t good for the show — no matter how much press it generates. “There’s fun bickering, like when your husband misses the turn in the car, and you say ‘Why don’t you stop and get directions?!’ That’s fine,” Daly offers. “But when there’s trouble in your marriage, that’s not the business of chemistry we want to be in.” To that end, “you’ll never see on The Voice a promo with a flashing ambulance because somebody fell backstage,” Daly insists. “We don’t produce our show that way. We’re not trying to capitalize on any headlines of that nature, and we haven’t really needed to thus far.”

CHARTING THE COURSE TO SUCCESS | Asked about whether or not he’s concerned that The Voice has yet to produce a major radio success on the level of category rival American Idol, Daly is philosophical. “We’d like to have that Kelly Clarkson sort of moment, and it’s important to the longevity and stability of the brand of The Voice. At some point I think you have to have somebody pierce popular culture,” he says. “But on the other hand, it’s not something we can control, and we don’t think the show’s success is predicated on that. We’re also only two seasons in. There’s a timeline, but it’s not anytime soon.”

IN GOOD COMPANY | Daly says he’s “humbled” to see The Voice nominated alongside The Amazing Race, Dancing With the Stars, Top Chef, So You Think You Can Dance and Project Runway. “The conversation about snubs is going to be a growing conversation, because there’s so much quality television and not enough room,” he adds, citing the lack of nods for Sons of Anarchy, Community, and Parks and Recreation‘s Nick Offerman as this year’s most egregious snubs. And while The Amazing Race — “a great example of quality TV,” Daly says — has taken home the Reality-Competition statuette eight of the nine years it’s been in existence, he adds that The Voice has its own merits: “It’s a monster of a show. You’re talking 12 performances a week that are Grammy-esque in scope. It’s amazing what our crew does, and Paul Mirkovich our band leader, and our band. They have to learn 90-second versions of hundreds of songs per season. We may not be a global travel show, but what we do for our format is an amazing feat, and I’m happy for all the names that’ll never be mentioned that we’re nominated. Because there’s a long list of people that make The Voice an exciting show to be a part of.”

IDOL THOUGHTS | Asked about the fact that The Voice scored its first Emmy nod the same year American Idol was left off the ballot for the first time in 10 years, Daly takes a diplomatic approach. “That’s a storyline that was brought to my attention many hours after we’d been nominated,” he says. “Idol is, come on, arguably the greatest, strongest show in the history of television. For The Voice to be mentioned in the same breath is really an honor.”

HOST WITH THE MOST?Daly, who didn’t make the Emmy cut in the Reality-Competition hosting category, says a personal nomination has never been on his radar. “My real passion is part of the ensemble — to work with Mark Burnett and have a chair at the producers’ meeting. I’m privy to all knowledge on this show on a lot of confidential levels on behalf of both the network and Mark Burnett Productions. The whole process to me is worth its weight in gold,” he explains. “But I don’t DVR my late-night show. I can barely watch The Voice, except our singers are so good. So I don’t even think about being a host and getting an award for it.” Nor is he expecting The Voice to take home the statuette in its category. “The nomination is another reason for [The Voice production team] to hang out and go to the show and just have a blast,” Daly says. “There’ll be no discussion of winning.”

Excited about The Voice’s upcoming third season and the tweaks to its format? Are you rooting for the show to take home the Emmy? Sound off below!

Comments (29)

• Hell yeah! Can’t wait. I was really hoping they’d drop Xtina for someone else. I like her, but sometimes she can be a bit much and her choices this season were wrong.

Comment by shuayb – July 21, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For your information, Xtina is the best coach/judge on “The Voice”. She’s a complete package and that’s why she’s getting paid twice as much as other coaches/judges. In reality they’re getting her pretty cheap; they should be paying her at least 15 mil instead of current 10 mil! Last season she gave honest opinions. She has a keen sense of detecting talent and was perfect when she chose her semifinal team of Chris and Lindsey. Those two are going to be the biggest successes of the show, and person she cut (Jesse) isn’t going anywhere!

Comment by VoiceNumber1Fan – July 22, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thats not information, thats opinion

Comment by Newo – July 23, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Xtina was visibly hostile to Tony and even tho Tony wasn’t the best, She should never have been that unprofessional.

Comment by shuayb – July 21, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lmao, dude get over it or better yet get over yourself. You’re still yappin about Lucca

Comment by Hoe – July 22, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like the changes will be good. I’m just afraid that in trying to tug at people’s heartstrings we will have to sit through one sob story after another which is one of the reasons I liked The Voice over Idol–because they didn’t focus on that. It was more about the music and the singing.

Comment by Deena – July 21, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Were we watching the same show. Gooey friend how many times did he bring up his drug addition, HIV status. The girl who did this for her grandfather. They had just as many sad stories.

Comment by Mary – July 21, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Christina and I’ll stop watching if they drop her. I think she reacted like any of us would to Tony’s performance. Adam+Tony knew that choice would be controversial, so when they get the reaction they wanted, don’t freak out.

Comment by mia – July 21, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These change are much needed. I always thought that 24 contestants was WAYYY too much for the live shows.

Comment by John – July 21, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched the recent UK and Australia versions and they’re both WAY better than the US equivalent.It’s all down to 1) talent and 2)Camaraderie and goodwill amongst the mentors.IMHO the starpower and egos got in the way on the US one,and the talent just hasn’t been good or special enough,generally. I’m glad the US one has done some re-thinking.It needs to.Plus,in the australian version they even performed songs they wrote…

Comment by RD – July 21, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He sounds delusional..and hes the most boring host..hard to imagine 2 cycles in a row, esp if they keep the same coaches. They do need to have the audience connect & have contestants perform more than once a month or every two weeks. Show us REAL bts mentoring.. Maybe stop casting all these pros who ve failed multiple times & past Idol contestants..Maybe release a winners single..or duet with winning coach to get some buzz. Cant even remember name of guy who won except 2nd blackguy withput guitar (opposed to wgwg)

Comment by hr – July 21, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree they need to figure out a way to get the performers to connect with audience. I lost interest when it would be weeks before I saw my favorite again.

Comment by Jenny – July 21, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carson Daly’s dead wrong when he claims that the lack of chart success of the contestants is “not something we can control”. Here’s some changes that they probably won’t bother making that would help with that.

-Not focusing on the coaches so much during the show that the contestants become an afterthought.
    -Not spending the entire season declaring that Adam Levine “won” season 1 while studiously avoiding actually mentioning the singer who was supposed to have won.
    -Giving the winning contestants even a tiny little bit of promotion after the show instead of just ignoring them.

I stopped watching last season when it became clear that the show could care less about the actual singers on it. Until I see evidence that this is changing, I see no reason to start watching it again.

Comment by kcostell – July 21, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show does give the winner a record deal and definitely does not ignore them. Also, no one is “declaring” that Adam “won” Season 1 by himself, and at times the man who won, Javier Colon, is mentioned. The only time that Adam’s Season 1 win is mentioned was mostly during the blind auditions, where he would bring it up trying to persuade whoever sang (if more than one judge pushed their button) to choose him as their coach.

Comment by sammy – July 21, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If these changes for season three will prevent another Cheesa over Angie Johnson type debacle, then I’m all in.

Comment by Alex – July 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want to watch and listen to everyone’s sob story, period! This could spell doom for the show; they need to definitely focus more on the singers performances and LESS on the coaches and their egos! Get rid of Carson as the host, he’s the most boring host ever.

Comment by Karrie – July 21, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These changes will definitely make the show more interesting.

Comment by wdsa – July 21, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I generally thought Xtina was impressively professional. She seemed to be the one paying most attention at times, and I never heard an unfair criticism. She lit into Tony because he WAS turning in generic performances. She didn’t settle for mediocrity, so people labeled her mean.

Comment by BTM – July 21, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m totally with you on this one.

Comment by Kel – July 22, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree, she doesn’t settle for mediocrity. In a society where mediocrity is the norm, people can’t handle perfectionists like xtina

Comment by Sha – July 23, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is just not that interesting and doesn’t produce any singers, it’s become more of a game show and embarrassing that the sing off winners sold more CD’s than the voice winner and it was less than 10,000.

Comment by chris – July 21, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but that’s not fair because but the Sing-off winners were Pentatonix and they are uber-awesome. Google them, people. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment by Tv Troz – July 22, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview. I know Carson isn’t the most exciting host in the world, but I think he does a good job of moving the show along and connecting with the families without making it all about him (I’m looking at you, Seacrest).

Comment by ashley – July 22, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see mjs (Idol fanatic blogger) has brought his/her hoard of followers to this blog with their negativity! LIke the saying goes: Haters r gonna hate.

Comment by zule – July 22, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Christina deserved all the criticism in season2, she was being honest and expressed her opinions, something she has done throughout her career. She was very professional, in fact more so than Adam and Tony, who were very obviously trying to get attention through being unprofessional. I hope she is presented better in this season.

Comment by Harlem – July 22, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lmao more tweaks? I can’t wait to see this mess keep falling in the ratings.

Comment by chris – July 22, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Other than the instant elimination round during a couple of the live rounds, there hasn’t been any tweaks. As a hater at least get your facts right!

Comment by zule – July 23, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe “The Voice” got the nomination due to the fact they approach the show differently than Idol. I believe Idol does need to make more changes (the judges were fine..it’s the Idol process that needs changed) also, it was quite obvious the best talent this year was on Idol. I still can’t believe The Voice’s off key shouting Raelynn got a record deal…(had to have been insider country star power involvement Blake, Miranda)

Comment by classdepartments – July 23, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I had a choice, I’d trade The Voice UK and The Voice Australia coaches. I’d ship Christina to the UK in exchange for Jessie J. I’d also exchange Blake for Aussie Coach Keith Urban. I’d keep Adam and Cee Lo, though I really liked Tom Jones on the UK version and Delta Goodrem in AUS. Love all 3 versions of the show. Joel Madden too (AUS)! He can swap with Will I am in the UK. Seal can go wherever he wants.

Comment by saxyroro (@saxyroro) – July 23, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post