Exclusive First Look: AMC's Hell On Wheels Steams Toward Season 2!

All aboard! AMC’s Hell On Wheels is gearing up for a second season, and TVLine has your exclusive glimpse at some photos from upcoming episodes.

We’ll warn you right now: No one in the pictures appears to be having much fun, but can you blame them? The dark Western drama follows vengeance-seeking former Confederate soldier Cullen (played by Anson Mount) as he travels west on a crew building the first transcontinental railroad. The residents of the mobile town that follows the construction – known as “Hell On Wheels” – are prostitutes, mercenaries, company men and other unsavory characters.

In short: Everyone’s got a reason to look grim.

Hell On Wheels returns Sunday, August 12 (9/8c) on AMC. Until then, take a gander at our gallery and then hit the comments with what you suspect is ahead for Cullen, Doc Durant, Ruth, Joseph Black Moon, Eva, Mr. Toole and the rest of the gritty gang.

Comments (14)

• Good show. Glad it’s coming back.

Comment by Daisy – July 19, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait. Really enjoyed season 1.

Comment by Terry – July 19, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Hell on Wheels return. This show was one of those “didn’t think I would like but glad I tuned in” moments.

Comment by Chris – July 19, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMC has done it again. Great show. Looking forward to season 2.

Comment by Jeffrey – July 19, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave up after 2 episodes and reading reviews giving ratings of D’s and F’s. Did it get better?

Comment by Sareeta – July 19, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You really should have hung in there — the first two episodes really were a history lesson — but by episode 3 it started running and the last two episodes of the season were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Comment by Joann – July 20, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited for season 2, I too didn’t think I’d like it but now, man, I’m hooked. One of my favorite shows. AMC, I don’t know how you do it, but keep it comin’.

Comment by Emily – July 19, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for season 2 to begin. I really enjoyed the first season, even though I at first expected it to be like Deadwood and it certainly isn’t.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – July 19, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to see the show’s publicists have already begun posting glowing reviews. #hypeFAIL

Comment by LOL – July 19, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too checked it out just to make sure it wasn’t for me but ended up liking it. Which is really something because I often don’t care for period pieces. That said I do hope season 2 is better.

Comment by Jason – July 19, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell on Wheels was my favorite new show this past season. I cannot WAIT for season 2! I want to see what is going on with everybody! Thanks for the great pics! (Joseph and Ruth, *le sigh*!)

Comment by Kristi – July 20, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait to see season 2!

Comment by Valerie (@Silverchex) – July 21, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bohannon s a bass a$$!

Comment by Ryan – August 16, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post