Emmys

What the Spock?! Fringe's Emmy Snubs Are 'Ridiculous,' Says Leonard Nimoy

Academy voters might want to go to bed with the lights on tonight, for fear of getting a Vulcan death grip in their sleep.

In the wake of Fringe getting snubbed wholesale by this year’s Emmy Award nominations — never mind the lack of John Noble love, there’s not even a techy nod to be found — sometime guest star/forever sci-fi icon Leonard Nimoy has let his feelings on the matter be known.

RELATED | Fringe @ Comic-Con: Final Season Talk Begets Tears and Movie Buzz

“No Emmy nomination for Fringe. Ridiculous,” Nimoy opined via Twitter the afternoon after nominations were announced. “So much talent. So much hard work. So much imagination.”

Nimoy, however, says that fans of Fringe and such fare “shouldn’t be so surprised,” seeing as “Emmy has given short shrift to Star Trek” and its many small-screen incarnations “for 46 years.”

“Amazing,” he added in conclusion, his disapproving, damning tone quite palpable across the Twitterverse.

VIDEO | Fringe Cast Teases the Final Season — Who’s Missing? Who’s Old?

Nimoy has appeared or been heard on Fringe on at least 10 different occasions, as the nefarious William Bell. He most recently guest-starred in Season 4’s final two episodes, and given the storyline for the Fox drama’s set-in-the-future fifth and final season — in which Belly, lore has it, played a critical role — it would seem logical that he makes at least one final encore.

1. Jan says:

Right on! Noble’s snub in particular is ridiculous.

• ScrubsGuy says:

It’s not just ridiculous – it’s an abomination. Further proof that the Emmys value popularity over substance.

P.S. I am also bitter about the Nick Offerman snub.

2. Mark says:

John Noble definitely deserved an Emmy nomination.

• rowan77 says:

John Noble is wonderful as Walter and I agree with you about deserving an Emmy nod. When he was in LOTR I hated him. His character was vile (until he realized what he’d done just before offing himself) and I attached that emotion to the actor – which shows how f-ing amazing he is to disappear into the role like that. When I saw he was going to be on Fringe, I was not happy because I still had that visceral feeling about him, but as Walter I adored him and though his interviews he seems a real treat to be around. Amazing actor.

3. He’s right. Noble and Torv should have gotten noms over the years. Not to mention writing noms. Whatever though.
    The Emmy’s think Mr. Carson the butler on Downton Abbey is a more memorable character than Walter Bishop .

• Elizabeth says:

This. I mean, I love “Downton” as much as the next guy, but Carson over John Noble? That’s one I will never understand.

• ben says:

Carson deserves the nod, I think. I know he is the populist wtf today, but I tihnk he is probably the best acted character on the whole show. As good a character as John Bates is, I don’t think Brendan Coyle deserves the acting nod – he is the one that should make way for John Noble.

• jess says:

esp since the whole bates/anna storyline in season 2 was ridiculous. overall i thought s2 was poorer than the first, and besides Michelle D, Maggie S, and maybe Hugh B, the other noms (esp best drama) were quite reaching.

4. Shazza, UK says:

I’m astounded that John Noble hasn’t received an Emmy nod. In playing not one, but two, incarnations of Walter Bishop he imbues what could be perceived at first glance as a straightforward ‘mad scientist’ with warmth, humour, sadness, and humanity. Fair enough, ‘Fringe’ may appear to be sci-fi of the highest quality, but its broader appeal (for me, at least) lies in the relationships between the core characters, all of whom do a sterling job, but John Noble is the glue that holds it all together. (Walter’s relationship with Astrid is particularly touching). The scene in Season 4 where Walternate reconciles with Walter was wonderfully played. Shame on you, Emmy!

5. Kaa says:

Nice to see Mr. Nimoy going public with his ire. I truly hope to see him (or hear him – or grok him in some other way, if necessary) on Fringe this season.

• ben says:

I think one more appearance might be… fewer than how many there actually are. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play a bigger role in season 5 than he has in any of the others.

6. Suhara says:

Long story short, the Emmys have zero credibility now after their continual, blatant disregard of Fringe in their nominee list. They are a complete and utter mess, and quite frankly a joke.

7. polly says:

Emmys are ridiculous. The shows that are actually high-quality never get any recognition.

• jenna says:

agreed. Year after year popular shows keep getting the nominations instead of shows that are producing really amazing material. Just shows that the ‘academy’ (oscars included) seem to be out of touch with what actually SHOULD be nominated

8. Castle Lover says:

Anna Torv should have been nominated last year, and John Noble should have been nominated every year since the first season.
    The lack of Emmy love for Fringe and Community is absurd!

• Emily says:

At least Fringe and Community know how much their fans love them. At least they have that.

• Anna says:

^ this. So much this. John noble has been stellar every year and his conversation with Walternate this year was outstanding (as was everything else he did) Anna Torv again was amazing however frankley I’m more upset about last year when she played three characters while also portraying olivias heartbreak so beautifully and subtly. Fringe deserves a nomination. End rant

9. Mikaylah says:

I agree with Mr. Nimoy. It is completely ridiculous. I just want them to get nominated once, just ONCE. Maybe next year.

10. nietoperz says:

John Noble and Anna Torv both deserve nominations, but awards like these rarely go to genre shows or movies. Not ‘worthy’ enough, for some reason. It’s a crying shame.

11. Patti says:

Nimoy is the man. It is ridiculous and sad yet I don’t get why I am also mad and surprised because emmy has never shown love for sci fi or fantasy and even family shows (fringe, once upon a time, gilmore girls, buffy, etc) emmys are becoming a joke.

12. ben says:

Hopefully season 5 will see a nomination for not only John Noble but also Nimoy himself as a ‘guest’.

13. Annie says:

A – it wasn’t a “Vulcan death grip.” Ever.
    B – He’s absolutely right.

• Pat D. says:

Yes it was….when Kirk was “killed” by Spock in the episode when he pretended to defect to the Romulans (TOS) he said he “instinctively” used the Vulcan Death Grip when Kirk attacked.

14. bobbie says:

Love you Leonard Nimoy! (and they’ve ignored Buffy, Psych, Star Trek, etc.) But the real award is that people still love and watch Star Trek, and no one remembers the shows that actually won the emmys.

15. Melinae says:

He’s so right! This is totally unfair!

16. Julie says:

Leonard Nimoy couldn’t have expressed our “anger” in a better way despite the 140 characters limit.

In four years, John Noble has proved to be an actor that Emmys cannot ignore. Yet, they did it again, like they always do with good quality shows and actors only because they have their favorite people. Emmy critics should just be ashamed of what they’ve just done. You cannot snub an actor like John Noble.
    You may not want to consider science-fiction for whatever reason (which is still total bulls**t to me), but there is no reason why you should overlook one of the best actors the show-business has ever had! No other actor from any other show can accomplish what John and the rest of the cast have during these unforgettable 5 years! And let’s not even talk about the creativity of the writing staff because that is just beyond our capabilities!
    I will always be proud of FRINGE and its entire cast and crew.

Don’t worry Fringe fandom: in the Altverse both John Noble and Anna Torv won tons of awards, everybody is happy and actually likes and respects Emmys !

17. Kyle says:

I’m grateful shows like Community and Fringe are snubbed. Any institution that would suggest garbage like ‘Girls’ is the best of anything is not a legitimate institution that can be taken seriously.

18. Katy says:

He isn’t wrong. The Emmys consistently and continually ignore science fiction/fantasy shows…. unless they are on HBO or AMC. Or they are looking at technical aspects.

There is some amazing acting and overall excellence work being done on primetime shows like Fringe, Supernatural, Firefly, etc., and Syfy shows like the Stargate franchise, BSG, Eureka and Warehouse 13. And yes, the Star Trek franchise.

John Noble should have gotten an acting nod. Jim Beaver should have gotten a ‘best guest’ for “Death’s Door”.

Maybe it is time we all pulled together and forced them to create a Sci-fi/Fantasy category.

Of course, these types of shows do get the ‘last laugh': act on a sci-fi/fantasy show and you’ll be mega-popular and making $$ at cons for the rest of your life. Act on a straightforward drama show and people while forget about you in a few years (or wondering what the frack you are doing showing up at Comic-Con, The Good Wife?).

(And I am still angry at the Emmys for passing over Alan Tudyk (I can almost see the Emmys people going ‘ewww, not him; he’s a fantasy guy’) for his incredibly creepy role on CSI’s “Burn Out” episode. He was astounding… it is still, for me, the creepiest episode that show ever did.)

19. Ally says:

Again, the Emmies are boring and not worth watching.

20. Sareeta says:

I completely agree with Mr. Nimoy. Well, Fringe has one more opportunity for an Emmy. It’s really amazing that this show is getting 5 seasons. I can’t wait to see how it ends.

21. Nick Dillon says:

More proof there’s retards running the awards stuff. Besides who the hell needs a whole ceremony with long boring crap? I just want to know who’s won and who’s nominated. Long ceremonies of any kind are a complete waste of my time when there’s real work to be done. Once again I’m right.

22. TV Gord says:

That Leonard Nimoy! Always with the logic.

There’s still one more chance for some Emmy attention for Fringe. The campaign should start NOW for NEXT year!

23. John K says:

GOOD FOR YOU, MR NIMOY!! I hope this last season blows away everyone — and makes the Emmy elite ASHAMED for totally missing the boat. FANS of the show (and many, many CRITICS) ALREADY KNOW that this is one of the best shows on television, and certainly one of the best SCI-FI/Fantasy shows EVER!!

24. Brad says:

Well said Leonard! Maybe next year the Emmy’s will get it right and honor the show’s last season!

25. 4thjet says:

Agree totally with Mr. Nimoy, FRINGE has been ignored the whole 4 years!
    John Noble and Anna Torv showed us 3 versions of their characters the last 2 years; Nimoy did wonderful this year as Bell, especially when none of knew he was coming back and his storyline of being behind so many things.

But they nominated Ashley Judd for her series saying it was a mini-series???
    Most of the Drama nominations went to cable shows I’ve never seen as I don’t have those channels…doesn’t cable have their own awards??

26. Sean C. says:

“Fringe” frankly wasn’t that great this season, I thought. The dislocation caused by the reality-switch was interesting at first but gradually sapped the show of a lot of its vitality.

• Brooke says:

John Noble’s acting was still astounding, regardless of what you thought of the plot. Walter and Walternate in the corridor at the Bridge right before they decided to shut it off – there was more award-worthy acting in those few minutes than most actors demonstrate in their entire careers.

Plus, season 4 found John playing yet again a brand new version of Walter who managed to be distinctly different than the original timeline Walter and Walternate. If his brilliance wasn’t obvious before, this season should have been the one to drive it home.

27. John says:

I stopped watching all awards shows after Jethro Tull beat Metallica (who didn’t suck yet) for the Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance in 1989 (1st time the Grammy’s had this category). I have nothing against Jethro Tull, but they’re not “Hard Rock/Metal” at all. IMO, all awards shows are a sham. Fringe getting shunned just continues to validate what I’ve known for 23 years.

28. loopychew says:

Using the Vulcan Death Grip on someone that’s sleeping is completely redundant, since all it really does is knock people out.

29. Dizzle says:

It’s gutting but not wholly surprising, like Nimoy says. The Emmys never paid any attention to shows like BSG and Buffy in the big acting categories either. And if Edward James Olmos or Mary McDonnell can’t scare up a nomination I don’t know who can. I’m just happy at this point Fox decided to renew the show for a final season, rather than leave us all hanging. Taking the victories where I can get them!

30. jj says:

The correct decisions were made. I am glad there are people that have the guts to put Fringe in its place, out of the Emmy nominations list.

31. Michael Coyle says:

I’m not surprised either. It’s a popularity contest. Substance has nothing to do with the choices. If they did then it defiantly would have been chosen. Fringe has some of the best acting I have ever seen in a science fiction show.

32. R. A. Cruz says:

Thank you Mr. Nimoy, you are a treasure to both sci-fi, as a genre,
    and acting, as a profession. I get the feeling that the people who
    nominate these shows don’t actually watch them. They just place a check
    mark next to the names that won the year before. Both Mr. Noble and
    Ms. Torv deserve better than the Emmys, but they have the admiration of
    their millions of fans around the world. Bravo to the Fringe cast, crew
    and writers for their brilliance these 4 years.

33. Dunkirk Street says:

True comments from Mr. Nimoy no doubt and also ironic. Nimoy was nominated three times by Emmy voters for his iconic portrayal of Mr. Spock. What are Emmy voters missing out on today? Nimoy would never have nominated today for the same role. Genre bias anyone?