Supernatural Scoop: Battlestar Galactica Alum Joins Season 8 Cast as Dean's [Spoiler]

Ty Olsson SupernaturalDean Winchester, meet your savior.

Supernatural has tapped Ty Olsson (Battlestar Galactica, Men in Trees) to join the show’s eighth season in a pivotal recurring role.

Olsson, who also starred as 9/11 hero Mark Bingham in the A&E telepic Flight 93, will play Benny, a dark and dangerous vampire who helps Dean escape from purgatory.

RELATED | Supernatural Season 8 Scares Up an Epic Chase, an Old Enemy and a New Romance

“He’s not a good guy,” Dean’s portrayer, Jensen Ackles, tells TVLine. “[He] stands to pose a bit of an issue for Dean because maybe there are things that Dean has hidden that he doesn’t want to tell Sam that happened in purgatory.”

The character is set to debut in the show’s Oct. 3 season premiere.

VIDEO | Misha Collins Insists Cas-Dean Bromance Can Be Repaired

Fun fact: This is not the first time Olsson has appeared on Supernatural. In Season 2, he guest starred as a vampire named Eli.

1. He was on Supernatural before. He was a good… or semi good Vampire.

2. Elle says:

I still can’t believe they aren’t having Sam save him but instead bringing in a new guy to do it.

• therein says:

cause yeah, he TOTALLY saved dean from hell… wait… THAT WAS CASS!!! OH SHI-!

• Hmmmm says:

Isn’t that kind of the point? Maybe some fans would like to see Sam come to Dean’s rescue in this situation.

• Meg says:

As much as I w

• Meg says:

Comment posted too soon. As much as I wish it was Sam, I understand why it’s not. He has no clue where Dean disappeared to. The previous deaths/disappearances, Dean and Sam each knew where to begin looking to try to save the other. So I am hoping they have Sam atleast try a little to figure out where Dean went but having no idea where to start, I get why it won’t be Sam doing the rescuing. If you remember, Dean just left if alone with Sam/Lucifer at the end of Five. I’m hoping it’s going to be a great season and from what I’m reading, it seems it won’t disappoint. But leaving any expectations at the door, you can’t be let down if you don’t expect the world.

3. Ema says:

He’s somewhat…underwhelming. I remember him as the vampire lackie in Season 2’s episode and I remember him from BSG and I don’t know I was expecting something more. This guy looks like a thug whereas the casting notice we were told about seemed to call for someone where such behavior would seem more unexpected. That said I’m fine with it and for those complaining he saved him instead of Sam, let’s be real, it’s not like this guy is a GOOD guy, they’ve made it clear he’s not.

4. Mare says:

Thank you so much for the casting info! I am so looking forward to this story! It’s been so long since I’ve been really excited for a Dean story!!! Of course, it’s been so long since he really had one, LOL! I am really looking forward to exploring this uneasy “partnership” and the flashbacks to Purgatory. I wonder if they will bring up the fact that Dean was once turned into a vampire? That could be very interesting! Thank you, Mr. Carver for this great potential storyline for Dean! Bring on Season 8!!!

• @Mare Seconding this!! I was also wondering if he’ll be able to tell that Dean was once a Vamp, infact maybe that’s the basis of their uneasy alliance. Whatever happens I am really looking forward to seeing how this plays out, and I love being able to once again discuss juicy storylines that involve Dean. Season 8 is looking good already.

5. Percysowner says:

They bring back a vampire and it isn’t Luther, Mr. Hottie vampire with the girlfriend who is his mate for all eternity. I’m disappointed, mostly because Lord, Luther was HOT!

6. Restless says:

Huh, I was not expecting it to be a vampire that rescued Dean. How could a vamp get Dean and himself out of Purgatory? I’m intrigued. :3

7. kate says:

Last season the alpha vampire said to Sam & Dean “See you next season.” I wonder if that will tie in with this? I’m excited to find out.

8. Fran says:

Thanks for the scoop! This season sounds so awesome. I really like the sound of Sam and Dean’s storylines as well as the overarching story.

9. Lee says:

This seems likea rehash of the Dean back from Hell storyline from season 4. I’m hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

• Alan says:

big difference here is that a bad guy is getting dean out of purgatory and by the sounds of it it wont come cheap for dean so it will most likely be played very differently from what i can see

10. Sandra says:

Surprised. Let’s see what he can do with the role. Hope he can act.

11. Claire says:

“there are things that Dean has hidden that he doesn’t want to tell Sam that happened in purgatory.”

Looks like someone has been recycling plots again. Why is this show still on?

• Brooke says:

Because the CW’s ratings on all of its other shows aside from TVD are terrible. If this show is going to end, it’s going to have to be because the creative cast decides it’s the end, because the network is never willingly going to let this one go.

• Chiana says:

Since we already know about the bad things that Dean did in hell, I think this must be different. Notice that it doesn’t mention that Dean did bad things, only that he doesn’t want to tell Sam what happened. So what happened? My guess is the new vampire is Dean’s new lover and will come between Dean and Cas, but…well, it would make for good fan fiction. Maybe it has something to do with how Dean has changed, that he no longer sees the world in black and white, that everyone has some good in them. And some bad. Whatever it is, I’m looking forward to it. If you don’t, then don’t watch it. Why comment on something that you don’t like? Plenty of other shows out there, just change the channel next time!

• Percysowner says:

Oh no please. We already have Sam saying “hey Dean’s in Purgatory, I think I’ll go to Disney World then find a dog and a girlfriend”. Dean may be ashamed of what he did in Hell, but the writers were clear that Dean only tortured demons, who of course deserved it. And let’s face it if Dean decides there are shades of grey, Sam will go all black and white and of course Dean will totally, completely 100% right and Sam will be totally, completely 100% wrong.

Lets have Dean do something truly unforgivable for once.

12. Deborah says:

It’s a great spoiler, but I’m still waiting to hear whether or not Cas escapes Purgatory with Dean?! Does anyone have news on THAT one, yet?!

13. Justin says:

I’m confused…why would they use the same actor to play two different roles in the same series? (In season 2 he played a vampire lackey named Eli, and in season 8 he will play an important vampire named Benny)

Why not just get a different actor?

• Jellymoff says:

I agree this is strange but not the first time I’ve seen this on TV. For example, Tom Lenk played a vampire on Buffy before playing the role of Andrew. I think that the showrunners find someone they work well with and like and they feel the initial roles were insignificant enough that only the hardcore fans will notice.

• autumnfallsdown says:

it’s not the first time they have done this. They had the little girl from The Benders come and play Dean’s daughter in Slice girls, one of the victims in Scarecrow came back to play the monster in Sam, Interrupted, and there have been others. It doesn’t surprise me and I’m excited to see how it plays out…though I really hope he runs into Gordon when he’s in purgatory!

• Meg says:

Gordon would be awesome! They mention someone comes back from season 1, wonder who that is. And they definitely reuse actors for different characters. I think it’s kinda funny. The guy who played Deacon from Folsom Prison Blues also played Jim Michaels in French Mistake. The rapist guy who gets impaled by the pole that Dean is chasing is also Ranger Rick. The guy who played Daniel Elkins played another character too. I like that they bring back people, it’s fun to see if you notice.

• Alan says:

there are only a finite amount of working actors, many of whom would already have a job so you can take them out of the equation, then there is the fact that this show is filmed in vancouver so you can only deal with actors will to relocate for filming, then they have to sort out from the little talent pool left who can work well in the role. its really not surprising that actors get reused, in fact im amazed it doesnt happen more often

14. Bouncy Castle says:

Sheriff Andy!!

15. Kiersten says:

I’m underwhelmed but then I’m really hoping he doesn’t take too much screen time away from Cas. I am thrilled Dean is getting a storyline this season but I would far rather see more of the Cas and Dean story.

16. Alisa says:

I am slightly underwhelmed by the actor being chosen for this role! I just hope he can act! But I am sure he wil do a great job:) so looking forward to this season!! I would love to find out what exactly went on in pergatory with Dean! And need to know more about the Cas story front :o

17. Mattie says:

Finally some good news coming out of this season for once! So happy to hear that Castiel doesn’t deux ex machina his way into the storyline AGAIN. Leave him in purgatory where he belongs.

• Sara says:

Oh God, shut up. You people show up to everything. Cas is back. Deal with it. And guess what? he’s part of Dean’s family according to Jensen. And J2 want him back in the show. I bet that really hurts, huh?

• Robin says:

A little touchy, there, Sara…not to mention rude. “You people” can also apply to those who think it’s the “Castiel” show and drool over destiel slash fic. Not all of us feel the same way about the characters; there’s no need to be so hostile. If having Cas in the show makes the show better,fine. But he’s a supporting character, not the main focus of the show, and that’s just the way it is

• Milana says:

I agree so hard with everything you’ve just said! And it’s not just Jensen, but also Jared, Ben Edlund, Jeremy Carver, Jim…but I guess those haters like to ignore that, because they only care
        about what they want, but never what those who produce the show want.

As for this casting spoiler: I echo the sentiments about being underwhelmed. But let’s see how this pans out. Might be good. I’d have preferred some positive Castiel news, though.

• Mattie says:

Now why would it hurt ME that J2 are both extremely nice men who have nothing bad to say about co-workers? Doesn’t hurt me a bit. It will be interesting to see what joke Jeremy Carver makes of him this season. If I were a Castiel fan, I’d be worried that the man who did nothing more with him than call him a “pretty boy angel” is in charge. Very worried. I think you’re more hurt and angry than I am, bless your heart. There’s more people every episode who are tired of him outstaying his welcome. That’s really got to hurt. As for the spoiler about the vampire, I saw that coming though I expected it would be Lenore. But it doesn’t surprise me and I can’t wait to see where they go with it. :)

• Chiana says:

Don’t agree with you at all. The fans that dislike Cas just seem to be more vocal and frankly, ruder than those of us that love Misha’s chemistry with Jensen, and think a solid supporting cast makes the Supernatural world much more vibrant and well-developed. I completely understand Sara getting annoyed with you, when this discussion concerned what changes Jeremy will be bringing to the show, and you used it again to bash Cas and his fans. Just let it go. The show needs all of us to keep the ratings up.

• Johnny says:

Oh sweetie, you really ought to research before you decide to comment. It will make you look like you actually have some inkling of intelligence. That man who did nothing more with him than call him a “pretty boy angel” also wrote, Free To Be You And Me and Point Of No Return. Two extremely Castiel heavy episodes. While I’m no Cas fanatic even I know Jeremy Carver loves his character and unlike you thinks he has not overstayed his welcome

• Hudson says:

Can we just leave annoying commenters like you who are constantly hating on Cas in Purgatory? Cas is the reason I watch Supernatural and I can’t wait to find out more of his journey this year.

18. bri says:

I love Cas they should include human more in the show. .I can wait for season 8!!! =))

19. Nic says:

I don’t see him as “Dean’s savior”. They’re saving each other for what looks like from previous spoilers.

I hate this thing about secrets again… What did they make Dean do this time that is so horrible that Sam can’t know? HATE IT!

20. Catachrest says:

I’m disappointed that it’s a vampire. With so many vampires on TV/in pop media right now, and with such a wide variety of potential supernatural monsters to choose from, the choice seems boring. I get it if they wanted something human-looking, but even then there are lots of more interesting choices available.

• Arie says:

A werewolf would be nice or a miriad of other Supernatural beasties that could have been picked. Not some rehashed vampire.

• Joan says:

Well, they can’t overdue demons and angels (who would’ve been my first choice) this early on. So it would have to be something they hadn’t overdone. Ghouls would have been an interesting choice or maybe a titan like Kronos? Who we saw in season 7. Personally I would have loved if Gabriel returned and yonked their asses out of purgatory! And by accident grabbed the vamp they were travelling with. I just really want Gabe to return!

21. Davey says:

I’ve been a Ty Olsson fan for a long time, so I’m really happy to read this. He’s been a supporting staple of so many great Sci-Fi series (and movies), going back all the way to X-Files. He’s a good actor, who never seems to get that one, huge break-out role; maybe this’ll be it. Great addition to a great show!

22. Mcat says:

Oi, the lack of news regarding Misha Collins’ status is KILLING ME. If he was back as a full-time regular, we probably would have heard something by now, right? Bummer.

• Meg says:

The premIse of the new season is angels v demons again. This time it’s about the ‘Word of God’ and rescuing Kevin so Im more then sure Cas/Misha will be in it plenty. :)

• Joan says:

I read he was a full time regular on some tumblr post but when I tried to find confirmation I couldn’t. Has anyone else?

23. Mlvarcticcat says:

This sounds like an intriguing story line. It sounds like it has potential. I will look forward to it. Thanks!

• Sara says:

IA. A myth-arc storyline for Dean again. FINALLY!!! Now if they will just follow through on it better than they did last time…*fingers crossed*…

24. muse says:

I wonder if they made Benny a vampire to somehow tie it back to when Dean was a vampire for a day.

Very intriguing storyline with tons of potential for Dean. It’s nice to see him being treated like a lead character again.

25. Arie says:

NO! NO no no no no!

Cas is Dean’s savior. Not some rehashed vampire. REally? The whole Dean does things in Purgatory that he doesn’t want to tell Sam? Sounds familar! Oh thats right…it was done when Dean was in Hell! Come on!

26. Velvet says:

Thank the gods it’s not Gordon Walker.

27. Prabashi says:

so Supernatural is havin season 8?? can anyone tell me iff this is true CUZ I LOVE SUPERNATURAL SOOO MUCH i jst finished watchin season 1 n im on season 2 hehe also i really want another season of SUPERNATURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Eaksoy says:

Meh not a fan of the actor really but we’ll see where they go with him.

29. Larry says:

After watching 7 Seasons of the show, I would like share my thoughts about this announcement….

First of all, please, do not base the entire show on ‘secrets and trust’. It has already gone both ways (Sam’s secrets from Dean and vica versa). Maybe the writers could take a leap and have Dean just come clean from the start….he can be a big boy too….

Next, for the love of God, get some closure quickly.

Finally, pretty please, with sugar on top, add a twist like having an Angel sent to hell for his/her sins and have a demon raised to heaven…then, declare earth of limits.

Nice and neat and not endlessly dragging on….

My prediction – last season due to weariness of fans. Lowest rating in franchise history starting around episode 4, followed by a shortened season with a rushed end….