Exclusive

True Blood Exclusive: Chris Meloni Speaks Out About Sunday's Shocking [Spoiler]

True Blood Chris MeloniStop reading if you have yet to watch Sunday’s True Blood. And we repeat: Stop reading if you have yet to watch Sunday’s True Blood. Everyone else, you may proceed…

Roman, we hardly knew ya.

In a shocking turn of events, the Vampire Authority bigwig got staked to death by Russell on Sunday’s True Blood — bringing Chris Meloni‘s run on the HBO smash to an unexpectedly early end. That’s assuming, of course, that he is actually dead. In the following Q&A, tube all-star Meloni sets the record straight about Roman’s fate, shares his most memorable moment on the show and reveals why he’s jealous of co-star Denis O’Hare.

VIDEO | True Blood Boss Alan Ball Lightly Spoils Season Finale

TVLINE | Is Roman really dead?
You saw the show last night.

TVLINE | I did, but this is True Blood. Characters have survived worse.
That is true. For the time being, he’s dead. I think that was my swan song.

TVLINE | Five episodes is an unusually short run for someone billed as a series regular. Was this a case of you only being able to commit to a short arc because of your busy schedule?
I think what happened was they got sick of me complaining about the glazed donuts at the craft services table so they decided to off me. [Laughs] We had always decided that this was the way to go.

VIDEO | Joe Manganiello Breaks Down Alcide and Sookie’s Infamous ‘Sex Scene’

TVLINE | It seemed like you really enjoyed yourself.
Absolutely. I think part of the success of the show is what you are truly seeing is actors who are happy and really enjoying what they’re able to do. I fit right in with them.

TVLINE | As far as onscreen deaths go, this one was fairly memorable. Did you get a chance to watch the episode yourself last night?
I was caught in traffic having just come back from Comic-Con, so I’ll be seeing it tonight. But I will say it was a lot of fun to shoot that scene. There’s no one else I’d rather get staked by than Denis O’Hare. And his final words to me were really funny. I was actually a little jealous. I wish I had been able to say, “Peace is for p—ies.” [Laughs]

TVLINE | Favorite moment as Roman?
I really enjoyed staking that kid, [Vampire Authority chancellor Drew]. Really nice actor, really nice kid. But I thought the idea of me staking a kid was really outrageous and inappropriate and very satisfying. [Laughs] I don’t know what that says about me…

TVLINE | You’ve done some really dark stuff in your career — where does that rank?
Really not that [high] because for Roman it was a matter of survival. When you are in the middle of a war, the statute of permissible behavior gets widened. Chris Keller on Oz did a few more despicable things. And let’s not forget I humped a refrigerator at a children’s camp in Wet Hot American Summer.

TVLINE | What’s next for you?
I’m actually right now working with those same maniacs who brought you Wet Hot American Summer. It’s a movie called They Came Together, [starring] Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd. I play the CEO of a candy corporation. And I’ve already  been able to do outrageous stuff. I look forward to more outrageous stuff.

1. I think you mean is Roman really dead. Russell’s doing just fine. ;)

2. ashley says:

this was the best twist! maybe ever. especially since he was on the Comic-Con panel two days ago.

3. I honestly thought he wasn’t dead. Wow. Bummer.

4. amarohl says:

iPhone app fail!

5. Paula says:

I’m so upset that Roman is dead! They keep a character like Tara going and going, but kill off one of my favorites after 5 episodes. Hardly seems fair. Christopher Meloni was fabulous in this role!

• Gerald says:

Interesting, for me it was the complete opposite. I was surprised and happy that they killed his character off. Frankly the whole Authority has been just awful. They were supposed to be this mysterious and scary organization but it turned out to be a boring mess.
      As for Meloni, he was terrible in the role. I mean, he shined in OZ and Law and Order SVU, but he seemed off and out off place here. He was supposed to be menacing and scary and it just came off as forced and frankly lame. Besides, he was always screaming and that doesn’t make instantly scary. I don’t know…. maybe it was just me but I was completely disappointed by him.

• Tara says:

I agree with both. Tara is an incredibly annoying and pointless character, and while I initially loved the idea of Chris Meloni being on the show, he really wasn’t good in the part. This whole season kinda blows for me, honestly. Too many storylines in too many different directions.

• James says:

I completely agree. I was so happy when I thought Tara’s character wa dead but unfortunately that wasn’t the case. They screwed up Meloni’s character by making him only 500had years old really?!?! Eric is older than him!!! Made no sense plus too many story lines very dissapointed so far this season.

• Laurel says:

I agree.
        I love Chris Meloni BUT Roman was boring me to tears with all the speechifying.
        Now Denis O’Hare / Russell is a different story all together he’s a fantastic actor and he is great on the show. He steals every scene he’s in.
        I’m looking forward to next week.

• icywinter2 says:

He wasn’t terrible in this show.

• darick says:

i agree.

• Kayla says:

I feel the same way, Gerald. I hated the Authority, and I’m really glad Roman is dead. Edgington is a much scarier and more entertaining villain. As for Tara, I liked her better in season 1, but I’m glad she’s not dead, if for no other reason than that it would turn Sookie and Lafayette into emotional train wreaks. They’ve got enough problems without losing Tara right now, but she needed some character development, so I’m hoping her being a vampire will lead to some better storylines for her.

• A says:

I don’t get all this hatred for Tara, I mean since the season started her total screen time has been what 10 minutes. And her interactions with Pam are hilarious.

• Kayla says:

You know as well as I do that Tara is the scape-goat for the fandom. People bitch and moan about Tara’s “whining” and they do exactly the same thing every damn day. The fandom is hypocritical and they wouldn’t be able to go a day without saying and/or thinking about Tara.

Truly pathetic in all honesty.

• Kayla says:

Yeah. Tara’s not my favorite, but she’s great with Pam. I was disappointed her friendship with Jessica was so short-lived, but I think vampire Tara has great potential.

• billie says:

Its all good now law and order svu can wake up and bring him back

• icywinter2 says:

Um that’s not how that works. It’s Meloni’s choice if he wants to come back, it’s all up to him. He’s not lookign back..

• venus says:

OH god I have to agree with you 100% I am soooo upset he left so fast. I enjoyed him in his role and thought maybe he would stay to at least the end of the season, I loove roman and thought he was great to add to the show, I agree with you the witch from last season lasted longer than he did just not right, I think chris did a great job with roman he was one of my favorite new charactes, he added spice to the show.

• Priscilla says:

I wouldn’t blame Mr. Meloni’s exit on Ms. Westley still being there. The show didn’t write for Roman properly. He was boring. Tara is boring, Sookie is boring…this season isn’t even going to be worth buying on DVD.

6. Liv says:

I stll don’t think he’s dead….

7. Kvivik says:

I’ll believe he’s dead at the last tick of the last second on the last episode ever of true blood.

• icywinter2 says:

Go watch the HBO commentary on this episode, they confirm that he is dead. How can you think he’s still alive, after his blood got onto Russell and his face warped. Roman is dead

8. FAA says:

Im bummed roman is dead……but imdb states he is in 11 episodes. Maybe he will be back as a ghost like goddric was or he will be back holding hands with Lilith. Here’s to hoping

• icywinter2 says:

IMDB is not accurate at all, fans will put actors/actresses in episode they are not in. I doubt we’ll see any flashbacks.

9. Dani says:

What if Roman is the one that killed Sookie’s parents? He didn’t die like a normal vampire, more like Claudine did last season? He could have a lot of fairy blood in him. Just a thought

• sladewilson says:

Roman is toast and I highly doubt he killed Sookie’s parents. Right now, smart money’s on Russell killing Snookie’s parents – remember the killer was attracted to her blood off a freakin band-aid. Yeah, I’m betting Russell until someone else looks a whole lot more convincing. As for Roman, oh well – I was kinda surprised but not really…

• Jess says:

Def was Bill that killed her parents. He is from the area and visited quite frequently. That and the books point to this direction.

• Fran says:

Did I read the same books as you? Where does it ever point to that direction? Sookie’s parents were killed by fairies.

10. bobbie says:

All I can think about is the glazed donuts….

11. Jamie says:

Goodbye he was TERRIBLE on this show

12. ShaunBee says:

Well IMDB shows him appearing in 11 True Blood episodes, so unless he they are going to do flashbacks of him in 7 more episodes, he isn’t dead.

13. Mike says:

Wait, wait, wait. He’s playing the CEO of a candy factory in a movie with Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd? Are we sure he’s not just playing Bobby Newport’s father in Parks & Rec?

14. Isabella21 says:

According to IMDB, Christopher Meloni is in 11 episodes of this season. Looks like we may have jumped the gun…

• icywinter2 says:

IMDB IS NOT ACCURATE AT ALL, do ever go by that.

HBO commentary on this episode states that he is dead. Watch the episode again, he’s dead clearly

• J2 says:

and if IMDb only listed him as being in 5 episodes, that would’ve kinda spoiled the surprise, no?

15. Russ says:

I wasn’t surprised at all. I figured at least him or Russell was going to die, and could’t kill Russell in episode 5. I wish Salome got staked too, i hate her. I hope Molly survives!!

16. Bill says:

God knows IMDB is always right….*rolls eyes*

17. adg says:

I’d luv to see Roman at his heyday during the Renaissance. Perhaps some flashback scenes HBO…

18. reen says:

Wahhhhh…. :( I thought it wasn’t real because he didn’t goo all up. :(

19. MaryAnn says:

I liked Meloni in SVU, but I couldn’t stand Roman. The character was ridiculous and over the top. Actually, so is the entire Authority. They just don’t live up to expectations and the less we see of them in the future the better. As for Tara, she is my favorite character on the show after Sookie, and I love the direction her character has taken this season. Honestly, I simply don’t get the Tara haters.

20. Chris Meloni rocked on True Blood and his character got a good violent death. Russell is THE MAN! Peace is for _ _ _ _ _ _ !

21. venus says:

the next time True blood adds new people I will think twice about getting excited. What a waste of a good actor and a fun character.

22. jane says:

I adored Chris Meloni on Oz but I don’t know what happened to him in True Blood, he was so boring and overacted. I am glad he was killed this soon.

23. Mark says:

I also like Christopher Meloni but something was missing deffinately missing in his portrayal of Roman. I also wish they would do something more with Tara’s character and do enjoy her relationship with Pam who is one of my favorite female characters next to Jessica. I also think that this season is moving way to slow and if i just started watching True Blood this season I probably would of stopped by now. As far as perdicting whats going to happen based on the books seems kinda mute because they have already deviated from the books based on what the fans on the want. I also think thay need to do more with Jason in this season who has been my favorite character from the begining. I also hope they do more with Hoyt because his character has been more boring than even Tara.

24. Now call me suspicious but didnt any of you think it strange about the weird bottle of blood he brought in, an 18th century blood and when he tasted it, he said “hmm interesting”, they seemed to make a real point of that bottle and only Roman drank the blood. Also he did’nt explode like the other vamps do at all.

25. Polar Bear says:

True Blood definitely needed something like this, but I definitely liked the character of Roman. I was excited to see how they would fit both him and Russell onto this show down the stretch (especially when you think about it, Roman didn’t do much), but I guess we won’t be seeing that. At least we have Russell, though.
    And please get rid of that awful Terry storyline.

26. Shelli says:

RIP Roman

27. shores says:

Of course Meloni wouldn’t spill the beans if his character survives or not. So him saying he’s dead means nothing at this point. I think that bottle that he was drinking was of some significance because if he met the true death why didn’t he just splatter like every other vamp does? Perhaps he is actually a demon and this is their way of introducing that?

28. Candace Frosch says:

I think its about time for them to cast the role of John Quinn to come into Sookie’s life. I believe hr would make an exciting addition, they need a weretiger.

29. Anisha says:

Very interesting about Meloni…said to see him go…I actually like Tara…and she is a major character in the books…I am getting a little tired of Jessica & Her love struck puppy …